IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

10 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

They probably don't adjust all the little advice for each person (so even if you tell them don't drink it's just there anyway). Probably way cheaper on their part.

Being practical, she probably would need calcium supplements if she continues to have lots of kids, regardless of whether or not she drinks. I'm sure I've seen discussion about how women like Kelly or Michelle with a boatload of kids (and in quick succession) will probably have a lot of health issues (ie. Arthritis) because of a lack of these nutrients in their bodies over the years.

Anyway, she's posted a video of Allie who decided to borrow some of her mum's nail polish and paint her and Lexi's nails (It's very cute).

Anyway, this was the second video I've seen Alyssa call Lexi "Mae". Not Lexi and Mae together, just Mae.

Just find it a bit curious.

Ha ok i figured I was reaching a bit but I had to at least bring it here to speculate!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2018 at 2:57 PM, GenerationCedarchip said:

Oh, that makes me sad. When I saw the pictures, I just figured she took pictures before events. When I dress my kids up, that's what I do because I figure at least 1 is going to get rumpled or dirty. Ithe makes me sad when kids aren't allowed to play like normal kids at occasions where that's clearly supposed to be allowed.

What kind of person takes an ice cream cone out of the hands of a little girl and throws it in the trash? Without any explanation? That's so rude. If you have to take it away, why not say, "I have to take this now because we are going into the store. .. " or something like that.

I'm liking Alyssa less and less. She seems sort of annoyed in the nail polish video and little Allie is kind of subdued, not jumping up and down with pride. She doesn't tell Allie that her nails looks pretty, which is what that little girl was after. I get the sense she's mad because the kids dont look perfect, and I'll bet she takes the polish off immediately after the video.

If Jessa Seewald had done a similar video, there would have been laughter and joy in her voice--a "these wacky kids", kind of thing. Though maybe not if it were about nail polish, I don't think she wants her boys doing that.

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

I'm liking Alyssa less and less. She seems sort of annoyed in the nail polish video and little Allie is kind of subdued, not jumping up and down with pride. She doesn't tell Allie that her nails looks pretty, which is what that little girl was after. I get the sense she's mad because the kids dont look perfect, and I'll bet she takes the polish off immediately after the video.

Okay time for for some BEC . . . I remember a time I did this exact same thing and my mom yelled at me and took away my nail polish for a while. She was mad because wasn't allowed to paint my nails a) without supervision and b) without newspaper to cover the table/floor. I think she's just annoyed that Allie did it without asking, while Allie is bashful because she knows she shouldn't have done it either. I don't hold this against Alyssa at all. I even thought her dry tone in the video was pretty funny/ relatable. 

3 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

Okay time for for some BEC . . . I remember a time I did this exact same thing and my mom yelled at me and took away my nail polish for a while. She was mad because wasn't allowed to paint my nails a) without supervision and b) without newspaper to cover the table/floor. I think she's just annoyed that Allie did it without asking, while Allie is bashful because she knows she shouldn't have done it either. I don't hold this against Alyssa at all. I even thought her dry tone in the video was pretty funny/ relatable. 

I don't think that yelling at a three-year old ever accomplishes anything. I don't think that your story is a standard for what parents should do. 

Tell her gently not to take the nail polish and put it up high next time. She's a toddler. A toddler. This is what they do. They explore. It's a rare three-year old indeed who can resist her impulse to explore and experiment. Alyssa should be annoyed at herself, not this baby.

She's been dressing those kids up like dolls ever since they were born and she's surprised/annoyed when they do something like this? And from the look of her own perfect French manicure, the kids see her painting her nails a lot. 

Just watched her latest insta story. Apparently she’s an “influencer” for Shoedazzle now... she had at least 8 pairs of fairly cheap looking stripper heels in her order. Running after 3 little girls in 4+ inch heels seems totally reasonable. 

I noticed she was also shilling for Care Of  vitamins & FabFitFun. They must be making something off this stuff? 

Alyssa pretty much doesn't post anymore unless she's trying to sell something.  The nail polish was the first time outside of Josie's wedding that Alyssa used Instagram for anything other than trying to make money off her name.  Use Coupon Alyssa for blah blah blah.  

1 hour ago, Joyfully Available said:

Just watched her latest insta story. Apparently she’s an “influencer” for Shoedazzle now... she had at least 8 pairs of fairly cheap looking stripper heels in her order. Running after 3 little girls in 4+ inch heels seems totally reasonable. 

I noticed she was also shilling for Care Of  vitamins & FabFitFun. They must be making something off this stuff? 

On YouTube, PrettyPastelPlease did a couple of videos calling out Beauty YouTubers regarding the non disclosure of payments from brands for positive (or negative) reviews.  They're kind of long videos, but it's very eye opening when you see how influencers are making money, and just how much some of them make.

Well Alyssa just got hacked and they’re doing a live video

Edit: Oh shit @Kangaroo I just realized you’d already posted it. Sorry!

btw it’s been a while and she’s still hacked. I wonder if she realized it already?

1F168333-8044-490E-8796-C800759DE633.jpeg

3 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Alyssa pretty much doesn't post anymore unless she's trying to sell something.  The nail polish was the first time outside of Josie's wedding that Alyssa used Instagram for anything other than trying to make money off her name.  Use Coupon Alyssa for blah blah blah.  

I've been accused here on the past of "pet fundie-ing" Alyssa because I like her clothing style, but she stopped posting on IG for months at one point. I am convinced the only reason she came back was to shill products for money. She has a private Instagram she uses, and this public one to make dinero. I mean, I should criticize, but at least she actually seems to be succeeding at making some money and getting some free shit, unlike Jilly Muffin.

1 hour ago, ClareRose said:

Hackers seem to be deleting all of her pics now ?

They definitely are. The “latest” post on the profile is the one announcing Allie’s birth. I actually feel a little bad about that. I hope she has the photos backed up somewhere and she didn’t just lose them all. 

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I've been accused here on the past of "pet fundie-ing" Alyssa because I like her clothing style, but she stopped posting on IG for months at one point.

Perhaps you were "accused of pet-fundying" because her beliefs and not her clothing style were the issue.

And she stopped posting on IG for months because she got legitimate criticism.  And chickened out.  Temporarily.

I am convinced the only reason she came back was to shill products for money. She has a private Instagram she uses, and this public one to make dinero.

That is rather too obvious.  Of course it is about cash.

I mean, I should criticize, but at least she actually seems to be succeeding at making some money and getting some free shit, unlike Jilly Muffin.

Because getting free shit and endorsing products for cash while successfully pumping out multiple babies and dressing well is success - and worthy of praise.

I mean, it's not like she got a job or something.  She's just good at shilling.  And it is a very low bar to out do Jilly Muffin on anything.

Jilly is up shit creek without a paddle because she does not dress well, does not pop out babies easily, and is married to an unsuccessful and unattractive (but at least honest about his repulsive beliefs) dork like Dillard.  More honest than Alyssa and her hubs.

I'll put a cat among the pigeons here.  Yet again.  Alyssa is  more dangerous than Jilly Muffin.  

Because the Bateses, as a clan, are smarter and better at marketing than the Duggars.  And the Dillards suck at marketing even worse than the Duggars.. 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I mean, it's not like she got a job or something.  She's just good at shilling.  And it is a very low bar to out do Jilly Muffin on anything.

I dunno. Why is getting a job the gold standard of success? Sounds like you are saying, "It's not like she won the Nobel Prize or anything".

I don't like Alyssa, but if she's found a way to make money while being at home with her (very young) kids, more power to her! Is she being deceptive? I wouldn't admire that, but if she's just saying how much she loves her FabFitFun box, I don't see anything wrong with that. Personally, I could easily find and work a job, but it would be much harder for me to dress stylishly, wear heels all the time, have a constant perfect manicure, and sell products online. I think she has the harder "job."

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Instagram rarely returns hacked accounts in my experience.

The actual account has a new username and all her phots have been deleted. Her username has been taken by another account (which appears to be associated with the hackers).

Given her personal account, John's accounts and her relatives accounts remain untouched, I would say she's broken rule number 1 of the internet, never ever share your log in credentials. (Hopefully it wasn't given up for something silly like trying to buy followers!)

2 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Instagram rarely returns hacked accounts in my experience.

The actual account has a new username and all her phots have been deleted. Her username has been taken by another account (which appears to be associated with the hackers).

Given her personal account, John's accounts and her relatives accounts remain untouched, I would say she's broken rule number 1 of the internet, never ever share your log in credentials. (Hopefully it wasn't given up for something silly like trying to buy followers!)

I have seen minor celebrities get hacked and instagram always returned the account. But the photos if they deleted them i dont think she can get them back.

I feel bad for her to be hacked like that. Hopefully she backed up her photos or at least saved the ones she really wanted on her personal account. 

Regarding her sponsorship with Shoe Dazzle...they are hands down one of the worst places I've ever ordered from online. I found boots there I adored years ago, ordered them, they took my money and sent me an email three days later that was essentially "Sorry, the shoes aren't available anymore, here's store credit only." They wouldn't give me my money back. So I ended up buying heels instead and they looked absolutely nothing like the photos and fit terribly. Oh, and of course no returns. I got a pink slip in my box saying they were nonrefundable.

Then I ended up finding the boots I wanted in the first place on a website called Make Me Chic and they were $10 cheaper. Fuck you, Shoe Dazzle. lol

14 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Perhaps you were "accused of pet-fundying" because her beliefs and not her clothing style were the issue.

And she stopped posting on IG for months because she got legitimate criticism.  And chickened out.  Temporarily.

That is rather too obvious.  Of course it is about cash.

Because getting free shit and endorsing products for cash while successfully pumping out multiple babies and dressing well is success - and worthy of praise.

Jilly is up shit creek without a paddle because she does not dress well, does not pop out babies easily, and is married to an unsuccessful and unattractive (but at least honest about his repulsive beliefs) dork like Dillard.  More honest than Alyssa and her hubs.

I'll put a cat among the pigeons here.  Yet again.  Alyssa is  more dangerous than Jilly Muffin.  

Because the Bateses, as a clan, are smarter and better at marketing than the Duggars.  And the Dillards suck at marketing even worse than the Duggars.. 

You could offer me a million dollars and I still wouldn't be interested in being a social media influencer - I value my privacy, don't have enough interest in Instagram to "perfect" my feed, and I can be a bit thin skinned when it comes to criticism. So no thank you. I will just buy my own shoes/phone case/whatever.

But that doesn't mean that social media influencing  isn't a valid way to earn money these day. I could sit here and rant about influencers until I am black and blue in the face, and it won't change the fact that there are people out there making more money as Instagram influencers than I do at my full time job that requires a degree. Just because something isn't to my liking doesn't mean it isn't a valid pursuit. If a company is willing to pay people like Alyssa to shill their product, and people like Alyssa are willing to spend 3 hours doing their hair and makeup and taking 500 photos to get the perfect shoe, well they can go right ahead for all I care. If someone you follow becomes an influencer and it is annoying, you can always unfollow them or mute their posts (best feature ever, because it means I don't have to see a couple of my annoying cousins' posts anymore but don't have to deal with the drama if I unfollowed them. THANK YOU IG!).

Social media influences are not going away anytime soon, because social media itself isn't going anywhere and it has largely replaced traditional media for a lot of Gen Yers and Gen Zers. We don't buy a traditional newspaper or gossip magazine anymore - we get our news and/or celebrity from our Facebook or Twitter feeds. A lot of movies don't get released in the cinema anymore, they get released on Netflix to watch from our beds and couches. We don't listen to the radio while commuting anymore because we can plug in our phone and listen to whatever we want without commercials and uninteresting chit-chat, many of us don't own TVs to see commercials because we can now stream what we want to watch on demand through computers and iPads, and adding an AdBlocker extension is so easy that even my fiance's grandmother worked it out.

I used to work in marketing, and the thing is, if you want to reach young people these days, social media is how you do it.

As long as social media has the popularity it does, influences will exist because companies will use it as an advertising platform. 20 years ago, companies got actors/models/whoever to pose for photos and then used them for a print ad in a magazine. Now they send them the shoes and get them to take a picture and post to Instagram. It is the same thing, just a different method. People have always "endorsed" products and brands. Social media just changes HOW they do it. This is the new way companies advertise their products to younger people.

Why did I say "at least Alyssa is succeeding unlike Jill" ?. Because they are both trying to do something, and one of them is doing it well, and one is failing miserably. If you are going to do something, at least educate yourself on how to do it well.

Jill is trying to make the FamilyVlogging thing happen, but she posts boring videos that don't present her Husband in the best light, low quality pictures, and awful recipes. She already has an audience, and getting noticed enough to build up an audience is usually the most difficult part for wannabe-influencers . She has it right there ready to go without having to lift a finger to build up an audience.

She has more than 5 times the amount of followers Alyssa does and even with DeWreck being DeWreck, she could be making a very tidy little income for herself with product placements on her Instagram/Blog if she invested some time into learning how to use a photo editing app and how to market herself on social media.

With 1.6 million followers, she should have so many offers from companies wanting to reach the "Young Christian Mommy" market that she can barely keep up with the DMs. But she doesn't because she is either too lazy or too dumb to capitalize on the follower count that would be the envy of anyone wanting to be a "Christian Mommy Blogger".

Alyssa is doing much better than Jill with less than a 5th of the followers Jill has and significantly less name recognition. And that is because she puts in a bit of effort to get decent pictures, and is smarter with marketing herself.

Alyssa is a mother of three very young children in a culture where she has very few options for employment and is expected to be at home providing child care and homeschooling. As stupid as dabbling in social media influencing may seem, it is one of the few outlets available to her to make some money of her own. She seems to enjoy fashion, so it is a way she can indulge in that interest without it costing money to her family. Influencing is not my thing, but I don't think she is hurting anyone - except for maybe being stupid enough to share her login details and getting hacked - and she isn't doing anything that a LOT of other people are not doing.

Love it or loathe it, but social media influencing is a HUGE form of advertising these days, and if you have the followers, time, motivation, and willingness to put yourself and your life out there on a public account, it can be a way to make money and/or get clothes/bags/shoes/makeup that you could never have afforded to buy yourself.

This is not intended as a huge defense of Alyssa herself (I often say "cute kids, shame about the cult" and she is a case of "cute clothes, shame about the cult"), but simply saying that regardless of your opinion on it, social media influence has become a way people make money. It is no different than Michael sewing baby blankets and selling them online. They are both using the internet to make some money, just in different ways.

And IIRC, the reason Alyssa stepped away from social media for a while is because people were insulting her daughter's looks. I don't think anyone should have to put up with that, regardless of what I think about them. Insulting children is a horrible thing to do - stick to snarking on the adults.

I guess I should clarify a little. I agree with a lot of what you have to say & I don't necessarily think being paid to shill products on Insta is a terrible thing. I’ve personally found some much loved products/ books/ foods through a favorite celeb or blogger review. Things I would probably never discover on my own & I appreciate that part of it. 

All that being said... it’s the d-list “celebrities” that will shill any & every product they can whether they even actually use or like it that annoy me. 

Also, something about (some of) these fundie women hustling cash on the side disguised as shopping reviews bothers me too. They tout their stay at home non working mother persona as the end all & be all but then here they are shilling some very worldly products for income from somewhere other than their spouse.

(I have absolutely nothing against fundie women working. More power to them if they do! It’s just another show of hypocrisy in their lifestyle for me.) 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I feel bad for her to be hacked like that. Hopefully she backed up her photos or at least saved the ones she really wanted on her personal account. 

Regarding her sponsorship with Shoe Dazzle...they are hands down one of the worst places I've ever ordered from online. I found boots there I adored years ago, ordered them, they took my money and sent me an email three days later that was essentially "Sorry, the shoes aren't available anymore, here's store credit only." They wouldn't give me my money back. So I ended up buying heels instead and they looked absolutely nothing like the photos and fit terribly. Oh, and of course no returns. I got a pink slip in my box saying they were nonrefundable.

Then I ended up finding the boots I wanted in the first place on a website called Make Me Chic and they were $10 cheaper. Fuck you, Shoe Dazzle. lol

Next time, dispute it on your credit card. You'll get your money back instantly.

3 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

she is either too lazy or too dumb

Too dumb. Definitely. Jill just doesn't seem very bright. I don't think she is lazy.

I just don't take people who shill on instagram seriously. "Oh I love this makeup! It's my favourite, holy grail product..." Yeah, right. Until the next company comes and tells you that you will love their product for money. There's nothing wrong with it, but I am very skeptical about it.

Not everyone can pull off selling stuff on social media. Jill doesn't seem to have the social media personality. I know I don't have it in me to do that. I don't photograph well, I can't stage photos at all and I'm not good at making my average life look interesting.  Alyssa can do it. She can make her hair and make up look perfect, force her kids to pose perfectly and network so companies will pay her to advertise for them. 

The whole Bates family is brand conscious in a way that the Duggars never really have been. The Bates are experts at using their family lives to make money. Alyssa puts up some pictures of her cute kids to help bring in followers and then profits off that. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived