IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

Alyssa is acting no different than a lot of US Big Brother contestants who get out of the house, run to Instagram and begin shilling for everything thrown at them.  It annoys me.  But I have a choice to stop following them (and in some cases have).  

In Alyssa case I just wish she could sound less MO time in her stories when she is talking about whatever it’s is I’m supposed to swipe up to grab.  

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Playing the devils advocate- what is wrong about „being solely in it for the money“?

She is not actively working on her profile, doesn’t interact with her followers and doesn’t seem to try to grow her profile. She just takes the opportunities that come up without making a huge effort. It might seem unfair that „laziness“ gets rewarded but honestly that is not her fault. If companies can overlook her believes and want to work with her that is on them. I wouldn’t say no to money or freebies coming with that little effort, that’s for sure.

You are correct, however, many on FJ applaud Alyssa for finding a way to make money. I'm not applauding her, because eventually this money will stop. What I would applaud would be to see her grab this "celebrity" by the horns and really go boom with it. Her shtick is that she is a trendy and fit mom. She would do incredibly well posting picks of her "mommy attire", give fitness advice, or even share what she eats during the day. She could actually make a real living, versus praying for crappy sponsors willing to give her free crap and as you put it, being rewarded for being lazy. But I know you were playing Devils advocate. :)

I would also like to point out that, in many cases, Alyssa does not properly disclose what is sponsored content. She could get into some real trouble with the FTC if they ever took a close enough look at her Instagram account.

Influencers have to make it very clear when their posts are sponsored - including when they "only" receive the product for free, rather than money. This is a really good overview of what Alyssa should be doing every time she gets a freebie. She doesn't.

Same goes for her sisters, though they seem to have far less sponsored content so far.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:33 AM, HereticHick said:

I'm not denying that John was Alyssa's ticket out. But I think Alyssa does have a lot of spunk, and I think she'd be trying to make $$ on Instagram no matter who she had married. I get that a lot of folks here hate people using their Instagram to earn income. But, playing devil's advocate here--Alyssa has 3 little kids--how else do we expect her to make money? Yes, I know the accepted FJ answer would be for her to get her tubes tied, dump the girls in daycare & get a job. 

If Alyssa wasn't earning $$/free stuff via social media, and if she wasn't working with John on their office cleaning business--she might have wear old clothes & have less cute makeup & fewer photo shoots--and I guarantee we'd have some FJers bitching about her cheapness, lack of style, washed out looks, tired countenance, poor selfie skills, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I don't know about Florida, but where I grew up, putting 3 kids into Daycare costs more than many college educated professionals earn, so with Alyssa's lack of higher education, I don't think there is a job available to her that would even cover the costs of childcare even if she wanted to.

I do agree she is kinda "damned if she does, damned if she doesn't". She clearly likes clothes/shoes/accessories. If she was buying a lot of them, she'd get ripped for spending money on "shallow" stuff for herself when she isn't working and has kids. If she uses her profile to get them in return for promoting them, she gets ripped for being an influencer. I think this is the way she has worked out that she can get things without blowing the budget. I'd rather just pay for my own shoes and purse than be a public figure, but to each their own.

I think Alyssa sincerely loves John, but I also think it really didn't hurt that he would take her away from her big crazy family, was conventionally attractive and didn't care she wanted to swap the frumpers/ankle length denim skirts for skinny jeans (since in their culture, she basically needs permission from her headship ugh). I think she desperately wanted out, but I don't think she would have settled for a DeWreck Dillard or the first guy to come along and would have hung on a little bit longer if she had to.

I don't know the Bates all that well despite my commenting here. If Alyssa married John because she wanted to wear jeans, he was attractive to her, and she wouldn't have to live near her family then I'm glad she stuck with her desires. Attraction is important and unfortunatley doesn't always happen just because the other person is nice. I think it's wonderful she didn't end up with a guy like Derick Dillard. Shame about their crappy beliefs, otherwise. 

On 9/24/2018 at 7:00 AM, nickelodeon said:

At a campaign event for Taliban Dan tho......

Why is he called Taliban Dan?  Ive heard that before but never understood it.

42 minutes ago, Naughty&nice said:

Why is he called Taliban Dan?  Ive heard that before but never understood it.

Back in 2010 (?) Daniel Webster was running against incumbent Alan Grayson. Grayson ran this ad:

It backfired and Grayson lost to Webster. EDIT: I'm not saying it was due to the ad itself, although it probably fired up some conservatives.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-hebert/taliban-dan-ad-graysons-b_b_745192.html

38 minutes ago, miss_batson said:

Is she kidding? She is always dressed up and put together. ??

Well, we only see those few snippets from her week when she has gone to the effort to clean herself up, do her hair, put makeup on, and a cute outfit. For all we know, the other 80-90% of the time she has a sloppy unwashed bun on her head, forgot to brush her teeth, is in stained leggings, and is stressed out chasing toddlers. That's me with just one 2 year old!

They are a cute family. I hope she has time to enjoy those sweet girls and her husband and slows her roll, but let’s face it... she’s probably already baking the next one.

I do not pay much attention to her Instagram but if she has found a way to monetize her little bit of fame, I say good for her. It would be great if she could start a small business for herself. I could totally see her running a boutique with decor and clothing/accessories. I have a few friends who have started online shops on SM and grown into brick and mortar stores. I try to support them all. 

Also: Alyssa sure does have some serious Erin Hair going on in that pic, doesn’t she?  

18 hours ago, freethemall said:

Well, we only see those few snippets from her week when she has gone to the effort to clean herself up, do her hair, put makeup on, and a cute outfit. For all we know, the other 80-90% of the time she has a sloppy unwashed bun on her head, forgot to brush her teeth, is in stained leggings, and is stressed out chasing toddlers. That's me with just one 2 year old!

I have 0 children and I am sitting here right now with a makeupless face, eyebrows that are overdue to be plucked, my hair hasn't been washed in 3 days and is 90% dry shampoo at this point, I haven't shaved my legs in 10 days and being half Latina means I basically have the amazon on my legs, and I am wearing a pajama top from one set and pajamas pants from another and they clash terribly.

If you look at my instagram, you will think I am always put together, because I don't take pictures when I am looking like I do right now. I take pictures when I have makeup done, am wearing a nice outfit, have washed and styled my hair etc.

2 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I have 0 children and I am sitting here right now with a makeupless face, eyebrows that are overdue to be plucked, my hair hasn't been washed in 3 days and is 90% dry shampoo at this point, I haven't shaved my legs in 10 days and being half Latina means I basically have the amazon on my legs, and I am wearing a pajama top from one set and pajamas pants from another and they clash terribly.

If you look at my instagram, you will think I am always put together, because I don't take pictures when I am looking like I do right now. I take pictures when I have makeup done, am wearing a nice outfit, have washed and styled my hair etc.

Haha I was thinking the same thing about myself!! I very rarely wear makeup (I work in a factory so I just don't see the point lol) I do wash my hair every day (oily hair...I have to) but yeah, hair in a messy bun every day, I'm not in a relationship right now so I don't shave nearly as often as I probably should lol but I'm going to enjoy the single life while I'm in it!! 

2 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Haha I was thinking the same thing about myself!! I very rarely wear makeup (I work in a factory so I just don't see the point lol) I do wash my hair every day (oily hair...I have to) but yeah, hair in a messy bun every day, I'm not in a relationship right now so I don't shave nearly as often as I probably should lol but I'm going to enjoy the single life while I'm in it!! 

I have a fiance but he knows better than to comment on my legs because shaving is a PITA and waxing hurts like a bitch. Plus he is French anyway, hahaha.

The Bates in general (Minus KJ and G) are just better hustlers and marketers. I appreciate that they are willing to get some form of education that can translate to making money, period, so much more realistic than the Duggars. Without JB's money, how do Anna/J and Dereck/J even survive???? 

So, in terms of finances, I'll support the hustler over the basic grifter; the educated and skilled, over the lazy or unintelligent. 

Those shows aren't going to last forever. Hope all of them are saving and investing.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:02 PM, Bazinga said:

You are correct, however, many on FJ applaud Alyssa for finding a way to make money. I'm not applauding her, because eventually this money will stop. What I would applaud would be to see her grab this "celebrity" by the horns and really go boom with it. Her shtick is that she is a trendy and fit mom. She would do incredibly well posting picks of her "mommy attire", give fitness advice, or even share what she eats during the day. She could actually make a real living, versus praying for crappy sponsors willing to give her free crap and as you put it, being rewarded for being lazy. But I know you were playing Devils advocate. :)

I thought she also worked as a cleaner with her husband?  She also does have three small kids to take care of, which does limit the amount of time she has to make a "real living".

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Those shows aren't going to last forever. Hope all of them are saving and investing.

I suspect most of them are. And I'm glad. They have small children and I'd hate to see those kids go hungry or without medical care.

These shows won't last forever, but they do seem to last a long time. Aren't the Bates on their 10th season?

2 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I thought she also worked as a cleaner with her husband?  She also does have three small kids to take care of, which does limit the amount of time she has to make a "real living".

In the past when she had only the 2 girls, she was working in the evenings when John was home to watch the kids-

56 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In the past when she had only the 2 girls, she was working in the evenings when John was home to watch the kids-

There was a story on her Instagram account (prior to its hacking) where she mentioned that she was still doing the cleaning. It was a story about that meal kit thing for her kids - something about making it easy to feed them dinner before she handed the kids off to John.

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

There was a story on her Instagram account (prior to its hacking) where she mentioned that she was still doing the cleaning. It was a story about that meal kit thing for her kids - something about making it easy to feed them dinner before she handed the kids off to John.

There was an episode that show that too. I don't remember which one it was. But remember it because she poured food from can onto Allie's plate. I think its vegetables but I don't remember.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, SamiKatz said:

You are missing my point. I'm merely pointing out that Alyssa could take her current popularity and use it to make a real living as an influencer versus just posting stuff to make a quick buck. I realize she can post things for just a quick buck too, but the snark on FJ was that she does it for no care of the people she expects to click on her link and buy things. Regardless, she can clearly do whatever she wants, but the 3 small kids isn't really an excuse. Plenty of online personalities have children. I believe she does work evenings, though her and John have never made it clear how often she does that. I know it was mentioned on the show, but they never flat out said, Alyssa works M-F from 6pm to midnight. For all we know she works one day a week. Regardless, she still finds time to post on her instagram now as is, so....

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

but the 3 small kids isn't really an excuse. Plenty of online personalities have children.

Maybe she wants to spend more time with them than those online personalities do.

Just because you "have children" doesn't mean you are doing a good job with them. Maybe those "online personalities" ignore their kids for much of the day and Alyssa doesn't want to do that.

Besides, those personalities may have children, but how many have an infant, a one year old and a three year old? That's 2-3 kids in diapers (probably 3 in diapers at night), 1-2 kids nursing or drinking from bottles, 0 kids who can so much as open a car door or pour a glass of OJ, and 3 who need to be constantly supervised.

20 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Maybe she wants to spend more time with them than those online personalities do.

Just because you "have children" doesn't mean you are doing a good job with them. Maybe those "online personalities" ignore their kids for much of the day and Alyssa doesn't want to do that.

Besides, those personalities may have children, but how many have an infant, a one year old and a three year old? That's 2-3 kids in diapers (probably 3 in diapers at night), 1-2 kids nursing or drinking from bottles, 0 kids who can so much as open a car door or pour a glass of OJ, and 3 who need to be constantly supervised.

Yeah, I think I answered above quickly and didn't really get my thoughts out clearly. But the thing is, I wasn't commenting on Alyssa being an influencer and then equating that to her being a good mom. I could give two craps if an Instagrammar is a good mom or not (well I do care about children and their welfare in general, but I think you get what I am saying). I was never really trying to drag the children in the equation at all, but was simply trying to point out the flaws in what Alyssa was doing on her Instagram and trying to make a quick buck (because hey, it's FJ and we snark, right???)  All in all, my overall point is that I just feel Alyssa has potential. She clearly wants to promote items to make money in some capacity, otherwise she would never take the time to post things (where she is clearly being given items for free in return for promotion) in the first place. So in the name of Snarkiness, I was simply pointing out a few areas in which she might find herself being more successful in this one particular area. And with that I will now stop dragging this conversation on and on and on. I think we all get what she is doing and nothing we say will really change how she does it. Now on to the next Sunday Best ;)

Spoiler

Little mommy? But I thought Alyssa was going to let her daughters be tomboys and become engineers or whatever the hell they wanted to. ?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived