IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

I'm kind of gunning for Henry now. If they call him Henry rather than Harry there wouldn't be much (if any) confusion. Henry is a nice, solid, traditional royal name. It's also fairly popular and on trend without being 'trendy'. Throw James in there as a middle name and it would be a nice nod to both of their brothers. I could see Henry Philip James, Henry Arthur James or Henry Albert James as possibilities. 

I don't think any of the names will have anything to do with Diana. But I could see Francis as a possibility, which I think is Kate's father's middle name, and Frances was Diana's middle name. I think it's really unlikely, though. They've already given Charlotte the middle name Diana.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still guessing Arthur Charles Philip or Arthur Philip Michael. It would be nice if they used a name from Kate's family.

3 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I guess they don't want to pick names before they're born...?

I'm pretty sure it's less don't want to pick and more don't want to commit/want to keep it to themselves for a bit. They probably already do have a name for the baby, and may have even had it prior to the birth, but are just waiting to announce. That's pretty common for royals, actually.  Some of the royal families even have ceremonies to announce the baby names.

I was pretty set on Arthur, but now I learned that the royal photographer they favour is Arthur Edwards, and I don't know if that would influence them or not. 

My wish is for Edmund Philip James, but I know that's so unlikely. Sigh. 

Henry would be a nice name, but I doubt they'll give it to him since Harry has it, and I'd consider it bad luck to give my second son the name Henry, ha. But I doubt they're as superstitious as I am when it comes to royal names. 

They can use names of living relatives, can't they?  Elizabeth's mother was also Elizabeth.  Either this rule is new, or not really a rule.

35 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

It's getting late in London, I'm thinking there won't be an announcement today. Boo. 

No, my guess is early Wednesday morning they'll announce something. They've consistently waited two days before announcing the name with George and Charlotte, so unless they're truly at a loss, I think they'll announce tomorrow. Thankfully it's not like olden times when they waited a month to announce Prince Charles' name! 

18 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

They can use names of living relatives, can't they?  Elizabeth's mother was also Elizabeth.  Either this rule is new, or not really a rule.

They can, it's not like they booted from the royal family if they do so, but it's unlikely. It's not something they're known to do, so it would be more of a surprise. 

I'm hoping they surprise everyone and name him Prince Jasper or something uncommon. 

6 hours ago, viii said:

I was pretty set on Arthur, but now I learned that the royal photographer they favour is Arthur Edwards, and I don't know if that would influence them or not. 

My wish is for Edmund Philip James, but I know that's so unlikely. Sigh. 

Henry would be a nice name, but I doubt they'll give it to him since Harry has it, and I'd consider it bad luck to give my second son the name Henry, ha. But I doubt they're as superstitious as I am when it comes to royal names. 

They are pretty superstitious actually. That’s why you  never see a John. Every John they have ever had in the connection has been  such a sad story And not forgetting Bad Prince John. I believe they Don’t  Use Stephen for similar reasons.

7 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Eugenie is a traditional name, the female version of Eugene, which itself is a very old name. It was the name of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters, who in was named for an empress of France. 

It's unusual now, but not in the way Savannah is, because Savannah is very much a name started in the Americas fairly recently. Eugenie is a name that was once popular but now isn't. 

I know the history of the name but that wasn’t my point: their name choices so far have not only been traditional but also vanilla. I can’t see them using other Victorian royalty names like Leopold or Ernest, put it that way. Frederick (well, Freddie anyway) and Arthur are now top 30 names in terms of popularity in England.

Frederick Arthur Phillip is my guess. My second guess is David Arthur James. David cause it's one of prince Harry's names, too, so they'd honor him without having to reuse Henry. They could, though. Henry David James, or David Henry James, or Henry Arthur James, or Henry James Robert, or Spurgeon Elliott...no. Wait. Wrong family.

Frederick Arthur Phillip it is. :pb_lol:

The story goes The York’s or Rather Fergie wanted to Name Princess Beatrice Annabell but the Queen said no. No royal history to it. 

Honestly They don’t absolutely have to name a child after Windsor men. QE  stepped out of the Box when naming Andrew after all and then again with Eugenie. I believe as long as a name has some royal background and no bad connotations  They can name branch out  a little esp for a child that will almost certainly never be monarch. 

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I'm kind of gunning for Henry now. If they call him Henry rather than Harry there wouldn't be much (if any) confusion. Henry is a nice, solid, traditional royal name. It's also fairly popular and on trend without being 'trendy'. Throw James in there as a middle name and it would be a nice nod to both of their brothers. I could see Henry Philip James, Henry Arthur James or Henry Albert James as possibilities. 

I don't think any of the names will have anything to do with Diana. But I could see Francis as a possibility, which I think is Kate's father's middle name, and Frances was Diana's middle name. I think it's really unlikely, though. They've already given Charlotte the middle name Diana.

I agree. I kind of think Harry and Meghan may be more likely to use Frances/Francis for a child. Mostly because William and Catherine already honored Diana with Charlotte’s name. They may avoid using Diana’s middle name in case Harry and Meghan want the option of honoring her as well. 

Regarding the guesses for Phillip Charles Arthur, or whichever combination thereof:  Prince Charles's first three names are Charles Phillip Arthur (ending with George),* so I don't think they'll use all three at once. 

*Or, as Diana said in her wedding vows, Phillip Charles Arthur George... 

17 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

No male equivalent of Eugenies

Eugenie was the name of one of Victoria's granddaughters, thus a royal name. 

There are plenty of interesting and not currently used names in the family tree. Among them Leopold (which I kind of favor and would not be surprised by, called Prince Leo), Maurice, Alfred, Albert, Christian, Frederick, John, Augustus...

Victoria did not object to descendants being named Albert. In a display of some ego, she at one point issued a decree that first born children in all succeeding generations be named after her and Albert according to their respective sexes. This decree was not followed, obviously. 

While recent generations have not repeated the first names of living family members since the Queen was named for her mother, middle names after living family members appear frequently. I think the no repetition rule is a bit practical since they do not use last names--naming him Phillip would mean two Prince Phillips and some confusion. I would not be surprised if it is a middle name, though. 

It also would not be unheard of for a third child, who is born fifth in line and will drop further when his older siblings have children, to get an out of the box name. Andrew was the name of Prince Phillip's father and not a name with a royal pedigree. This baby could also get a name not previously used, but it would , of course, be a traditional name. No Prince Braydens. The farther a baby is born out of the line, or the farther they are anticipated to fall, the more freedom there is in naming--thus Zara and her own daughter, Mia, not having traditional names at all. (The name Zara was actually Charles's suggestion to his sister which would imply that given the freedom, his children may have had less traditional names). 

8 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

There are plenty of interesting and not currently used names in the family tree. Among them Leopold (which I kind of favor and would not be surprised by, called Prince Leo), Maurice, Alfred, Albert, Christian, Frederick, John, Augustus...

Victoria did not object to descendants being named Albert. In a display of some ego, she at one point issued a decree that first born children in all succeeding generations be named after her and Albert according to their respective sexes. This decree was not followed, obviously. 

While recent generations have not repeated the first names of living family members since the Queen was named for her mother, middle names after living family members appear frequently. I think the no repetition rule is a bit practical since they do not use last names--naming him Phillip would mean two Prince Phillips and some confusion. I would not be surprised if it is a middle name, though. 

It also would not be unheard of for a third child, who is born fifth in line and will drop further when his older siblings have children, to get an out of the box name. Andrew was the name of Prince Phillip's father and not a name with a royal pedigree. This baby could also get a name not previously used, but it would , of course, be a traditional name. No Prince Braydens. The farther a baby is born out of the line, or the farther they are anticipated to fall, the more freedom there is in naming--thus Zara and her own daughter, Mia, not having traditional names at all. (The name Zara was actually Charles's suggestion to his sister which would imply that given the freedom, his children may have had less traditional names). 

It’s so distant it may not matter But Lord Nicholas Windsor is a first cousin once removed of The Queen and Has Young Sons named Albert, Leopold and Louis.  

Lord Frederick Windsor is another closer cousin. His Daughter Maud Windsor is George’s age and goes to the same school. I highly doubt they would use Frederick. 

I can't lie, I am excited to see what the name will be. :kitty-wink:

32 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Actually, though I had marked Leopold as “not bland enough” as a name choice, Leo is also in the top 20 baby names in the UK, so definitely   mainstream.

My feline headship is called Leopold though, and he’s a grumpy old man so I will always think of it as a grumpy old man cat name.

I could also imagine Oliver being to their taste (the most popular boy baby name in the UK), but it’s has no royal history as far as I can tell, - the opposite actually, if you think of Cromwell - so may be out.

12 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I guess they don't want to pick names before they're born...?

Some of the European royals wait months until the christening to announce the name (eg the Danes). Prince Christian was no surprise but it was a long 3 month wait for the twins.

I believe the English royals inform family first in person, then the media. But Harry’s name was released very quickly.

They announced both George and Charlotte’s names after 2 days. So probably tomorrow (having said that, isn’t Charles abroad at the moment? We might have to wait for longer if they want to tell him when he gets home). 

Also I feel awful posting this and have deleted a few posts about it because it’s pretty distasteful to mention it. But I can’t be the only one thinking it.

Surely they won’t (can’t) name him Albert. Someone has to have a whisper in their ear.

11 minutes ago, adidas said:

Also I feel awful posting this and have deleted a few posts about it because it’s pretty distasteful to mention it. But I can’t be the only one thinking it.

Surely they won’t (can’t) name him Albert. Someone has to have a whisper in their ear.

Hahhahahaha you have a filthy mind!

I don’t think the Cambridges are so naiive they aren’t aware of the connection. I’m sure they know. Mind you - Albert is also a top 100 name in the UK so literally thousands of parents have either ignored or not known about the connotation.

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

I don’t think the Cambridges are so naiive they aren’t aware of the connection. I’m sure get know. Mind you - Albert is also a top 100 name in the UK so literally thousands of parents have either ignored or not known about the connotation.

Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice name! It has a nice ring to it.

Friends of ours used it for one of their boys. But he’s just Albie, he doesn’t have ‘Prince’ in front of Albert.

Yeah, big difference between Albert and Prince Albert lol. 

I suspect the name will be announced tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I don’t think the Cambridges are so naiive they aren’t aware of the connection. I’m sure they know. Mind you - Albert is also a top 100 name in the UK so literally thousands of parents have either ignored or not known about the connotation.

It’s one thing to have your son called Albert, but entirely another thing for him to be Prince Albert. That’s just too far for me. I remember thinking “anything but George” for Baby Cambridge one, but now I love it for him. 

Oh my god.  I am going to throw up my dinner.  For anyone else who is totally clueless about why Prince Albert would not be a good name because of its connotations, I warn you.  DO.NOT.GOOGLE.IT.  I googled, found sites about Prince Albert piercings, and thought that must be what they’re talking about.  So I clicked on google images.  

I cannot find the vomiting emoji.  But that’s what is needed here.

4 minutes ago, Karma said:

I cannot find the vomiting emoji.  But that’s what is needed here.

Here you go: :puke-front:    :puke-right:   :puke-left:  and my personal favorite :puke-huge:

(the secret code is "puke")

Archived