IGNORED

Royal Baby is a Boy

victoriasponge

I don't think they will use James, Michael or Phillip as a first name. For a while now, the Royal Family have tried not to repeat first names already used by another living family member. James is the name of William's cousin, Edward's on, Michael is the name of the queen's cousin, Michael of Kent, and Philip is obvious. 

I could be totally wrong there, though, but it's what I've read over the years. 

Plus, with James, there are already 2 of them on Kate's side, her brother and her brother-in-law. That's too many Jameses (as much as I love the name - it is my younger son's name. :D)

I do think those are potential middle names though. 

I'm thinking Arthur, Frederick, Thomas or Robert for a first name. 

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I think the law was passed in 2013 and applies to children in the succession born after a certain date in October of 2011. So there are likely some kids who this has already applied to, but Charlotte is the first Princess not to be knocked out of place. That’s kind of cool (though sad that it took so long to make the change.*)

Indeed, prior to today's birth of the new prince, the highest ranking children this did actually apply to are Lady Davina Lewis's kids (she's one of the Duke of Gloucester's children). Since the rule was applied retroactively to children born after October 28, 2011, once it went into effect her kids switched places in the order of succession. Her daughter Senna (born 2010) was originally leapfrogged by a younger brother, Tāne (born 2012), but the implementation of the new Succession to the Crown Act of 2013 reversed them back to birth order in 2015 because Tāne was born after the cutoff date. As of today, they are now 30th and 31st in the line of succession respectively.

An interesting sidenote, Lady Davina Lewis (nee Windsor) married a New Zealander of Maori descent, which accounts for the interesting and non-Windsor-sounding names of her children, Senna Kowhai and Tāne Mahuta. They chose names to respect Gary Lewis' heritage.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I think the law was passed in 2013 and applies to children in the succession born after a certain date in October of 2011. So there are likely some kids who this has already applied to, but Charlotte is the first Princess not to be knocked out of place. That’s kind of cool (though sad that it took so long to make the change.*)

*I should note that I’m American and really have no room to criticize other countries when my own is doing some screwy stuff.

I’m 99.99% sure William was just joking. He joked about naming the baby Jack or Jackie after Jack Grealish (player for Aston Villa) scored the winning goal against Cardiff City in their match.

ETA: First photos:

Reveal hidden contents

She's wearing legit heels less than 12 hours after having a baby. I dont understand how she does it.

Just now, Buzzard said:

She's wearing legit heels less than 12 hours after having a baby. I dont understand how she does it.

I’d joke about her having magic powers, but I don’t think that turned out well for prior members of the royal family (looking at you Anne Boleyn!) :pb_lol:

But seriously. I’m guessing it’s a combination of being used to wearing them, being in pretty good physical shape, and having a great beauty team to help her out. I doubt she’ll dress like this during quiet days at home the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’d joke about her having magic powers, but I don’t think that turned out well for prior members of the royal family (looking at you Anne Boleyn!) :pb_lol:

But seriously. I’m guessing it’s a combination of being used to wearing them, being in pretty good physical shape, and having a great beauty team to help her out. I doubt she’ll dress like this during quiet days at home the next few weeks.

I think its sad that society requires her to be all done up and looking like its just another monday after delivering an 8 pound baby after a tough pregnancy.  I have no opinion on her because I really dont follow anything Royal, but I kind of wish she showed up looking like she had a baby and told the world "this is hard work, y'all fuck off."

30 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think its sad that society requires her to be all done up and looking like its just another monday after delivering an 8 pound baby after a tough pregnancy.  I have no opinion on her because I really dont follow anything Royal, but I kind of wish she showed up looking like she had a baby and told the world "this is hard work, y'all fuck off."

That does just seem to be how the Brits do it. It's a huge circus for them to leave, so they want to look good. And she evidently doesn't want to be criticized by the media (understandably!).

Compare that with how the Swedish royals announce they are leaving the hospital. 

Crown Princess Victoria with Prince Daniel and Princess Estelle, leaving with their son Oscar in 2016:

Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Sofia with their older son, Prince Alexander, in 2016: 

Of course, the Swedish royals also do things like have individual Facebook and Instagram accounts, take their kids on independent royal duties, and live stream their babies' christening services, with the children there acting like children. The media attention on the Swedish royal family is just far less intense, so it's a very different dynamic for the British and Swedish royals.

I'm going to guess Arthur Philip _______. 

I'm stuck on what I think the third name will be - either James, Henry, or David. Perhaps Francis? 

34 minutes ago, Mavis said:

My guesses are Frederick or Arthur. I think the middle names will be Louis and Philip. 

George's middle name is Alexander Louis, so I doubt they'd repeat Louis for this baby. 

I never get into name guessing on the mega family threads because most of their name choices are asinine. (Edited to add: the name choices of the mega families, not the guesses of FJers.)

But I will chime in here: Albert Charles Philip

I never really warmed to Kate, I always feel bad saying that because I have no reason for it at all. I do understand her need to be picture perfect 100% of the time, and sympathize with that. I would hate to be in that position, to be forced always be dolled up,  even hours after giving birth, or else faced the wrath of paps and media and public opinion. I remember the fuss and criticism she faced when she was papped a while back with a few stray gray hairs.

She looks great leaving the hospital today, lovely red dress. But I really loved the blue polka dot dress she wore after George was born. 

I think I prefer the more natural , normal, everyday look of the Swedish royals though. I don't know if the Swedish press is as vicious and cruel as the British press usually is, that would make it easier definitely.

3 hours ago, Yaoichan12 said:

It will never be John. John is a taboo name for the royal family

I do like James though 

Edward and Sophie used James for their son. They might not use it only a few years after them.

I agree about John, King John was one of the most hated King's and the most recent Prince John, suffered from epilepsy and what they now believe is autism and was sent away to live away from his parents, King George V and Queen Mary.

17 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I never get into name guessing on the mega family threads because most of their name choices are asinine. (Edited to add: the name choices of the mega families, not the guesses of FJers.)

But I will chime in here: Albert Charles Philip

I had posted somewhere on FB my guess of Albert Phillip, but couldn't for the life of me think of a good third name, but I do like Charles in this mix. So, either Albert Charles Phillip, or Albert Phillip Charles--both ways it's a good flow, I think.

To put in my vote, I think the name'll be Philip Arthur Charles. I have to say the photos of Charlotte and George going to meet their baby brother were absolutely adorable. 

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

She's wearing for what, 5 minutes? Just to be photographed and then, right to the car. A lot of celebrities left the hospital holding a baby while.wearing high heels. Any of them is going back home walking haha.

Arthur Philip Michael is my guess.

I really hope they don't name him Albert. I think Arthur is a lovely name. Albert is okay, but Prince Albert? Please no... Maybe Arthur Albert?

Frederick would be cute too. I like Philip, but there's already a Prince Philip. And James is also in use in both of their families already. I guess they could always name him Henry and just call him Henry rather than Harry.

I'm hoping they're like, "This is our third kid, we're choosing something we just like this time. Welcome Prince Matthew!" But I know they won't, haha.

I chose Philip as the first name due to Prince Philip's failing health. I don't think he'll be around much longer (he's what, 97?), so it'd be a nice tribute to name a great-grandson after him. 

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I chose Philip as the first name due to Prince Philip's failing health. I don't think he'll be around much longer (he's what, 97?), so it'd be a nice tribute to name a great-grandson after him. 

It's sort of frowned upon to name a child after someone who is still living. And since Prince Philip is still alive... I think it's doubtful they'll use Philip as a first name. However, I'll be surprised if it's not the second name. 

Is anyone else offended by the wording "the Duchess was delivered of a son" rather than "the Duchess delivered a son"? I hate how they take her out of the action so it's something that just happened to her, not that she pushed him out.

I also don't understand how she can walk out so easily mere hours after giving birth and in HEELS. After I pushed out my 8lbs 2ozer I looked like a limping humpback for several days (then again I actively pushed for almost 8 hours).

I wonder when we'll know the name, how soon they announced it previously. I'm going to guess James Phillip.

@Glasgowghirl, the story of Prince John just breaks my heart.  Upper class children in Great Britain at the time frequently had little contact with their parents.  Also people with epilepsy were often institutionalized in asylums.  Wood Farm at Sandringham with his beloved "Lala" Bill was as good a life as he could have hoped for, under the circumstances.  Queen Mary was deeply grieved by his death and Bertie (George VI) was close to his baby brother.  

@freethemall,  I'm not offended by the wording.  It's an old-fashioned and maybe more delicate way of stating that the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth.

I think there is an unwritten rule that Albert isn't used as a first name because of Queen Victoria's intense life long mourning of her consort Prince Albert.  Something along the lines of she informally decreed there will never be anyone else like him.  Thus Albert as a middle name, but never a first name.

9 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I think there is an unwritten rule that Albert isn't used as a first name because of Queen Victoria's intense life long mourning of her consort Prince Albert.  Something along the lines of she informally decreed there will never be anyone else like him.  Thus Albert as a middle name, but never a first name.

No, Queen Elizabeth's dad was Albert Frederick Arthur George 

My concern with naming the kid Philip is that when the current Prince Philip inevitably dies, there are going to be all these 'PRINCE PHILIP DEAD' headlines, and obviously most people would understand that they were referring to the elder Prince Philip, but I could imagine it being rather alarming...

The royals haven't seemed to name their children after living relatives for a long while now. Obviously middle names are a different ball game.

13 minutes ago, Yaoichan12 said:

No, Queen Elizabeth's dad was Albert Frederick Arthur George 

Correct, he just chose to go by George as his monarch name once he became King. A lot of people don't realize his actual name was Albert, though!

I hope they choose Arthur over Albert, just because I don't think Albert is a great name. I wasn't a fan of George in the beginning either, and it's grown on me since. 

Archived