IGNORED

Dillards 56: Running a Marathon but not Working

Coconut Flan

Not sure if this is wishful thinking on Derick's part, or some kind of genuine intel. My instinct is of course, since it's Derick, he's talking crap, and honestly my hope is the Duggars never move to UP if it means Derick being back on the show.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Not sure if this is wishful thinking on Derick's part, or some kind of genuine intel. My instinct is of course, since it's Derick, he's talking crap, and honestly my hope is the Duggars never move to UP if it means Derick being back on the show.

WTAF. 

IME, the people who scream “Speak english, you’re in America!” tend to be racist, paranoid and under educated. They feel threatened because they cannot understand what is being said around them. They feel inferior to people they judge as less than themself.

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

The USA's immigration policies are among the MOST LENIENT in the fucking WORLD.

I'm married to a Brit. I can NOT move to the UK without jumping through more strenuous hoops than the significantly ridiculous hoops HE jumped through to move here LEGALLY. Add to that the financial hoops. And the cultural hoops. And the "Life in the UK" test.

I have ZERO (that would be NONE) sympathy for people who come here illegally.

Out of curiosity, does the zero sympathy include DACA recipients/DREAMers?

6 minutes ago, Kailash said:

IME, the people who scream “Speak english, you’re in America!” tend to be racist, paranoid and under educated. They feel threatened because they cannot understand what is being said around them. They feel inferior to people they judge as less than themself.

I got the bus home from work and few weeks ago and a man was talking French, a woman started shouting at him and said they should all go back home and speak English. While English is the main language in the UK it is far from the only native language in the UK.

14 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Out of curiosity, does the zero sympathy include DACA recipients/DREAMers?

Nope - I do have sympathy for them. THEY didn't make the choice to come here illegally - their parents did it for them. 

10 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I look at it as violating US law...end of discussion. There are penalties for breaking the law. To quote Baretta (old cop show) "don't do the crime if you can't do the time". I feel sorry for their shitty situation, however, getting their shorts in a knot over getting deported is just whatever...that's the penalty for violating the law. 

The rest of my family came here legally...my paternal grandparents through Ellis Island, my mother's siblings by applying for the appropriate exit and entrance visas and jumping through the hoops to enter the US legally. I'm sorry the immigration system sucks ass. I've stated that I think the kids who are brought here by their parents should have a path to legality and citizenship, they had no choice. Their parents, on the other hand, just show up, then don't bother. I also have an issue with the lack of assimilation. For the love of God...learn fucking English. I think at least rudimentary English (enough to get your point across) should also be a requirement. Yes, I speak and understand Spanish, but...damn...no. Learn fucking English...

In all fairness though, immigration prior to the Johnson-Reed Act of 1924 was a whole different ball game. There were no  VISA requirements or documentation, no border patrol or immigration court, and virtually no deportation;  immigrating legally consisted of stepping off the boat at Ellis Island and being free of infectious disease. 

Thats not to excuse illegal immigration, but to point out the false equivalency of comparing today’s immigration process with that of our ancestors. Today’s prospective immigrant faces far more barriers and enormous financial hardship to become citizens.

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nope - I do have sympathy for them. THEY didn't make the choice to come here illegally - their parents did it for them. 

That at least is good to hear. When you said you had zero sympathy what I heard was the same thing I hear most times I venture into a political discussion "screw your husband and friends, the people you love most in the world. I don't care about their suffering."  They are technically illegal immigrants, so when you use words like any you are including them. And if the US system was so easy, they would have  a path to legalization instead of having their futures determined by the whims of a maniac. Again, I've heard kids talk about suicide. I'm just grateful my husband has been handling it well.

11 minutes ago, BernRul said:

And if the US system was so easy, they would have  a path to legalization instead of having their futures determined by the whims of a maniac.

Actually, there IS a path to legal immigration (and citizenship). My husband took that path (immigration only - not citizenship). That's what pisses me off about people who come here illegally. (I understand you're talking about DACA/Dreamers not having that path because of the illegal actions of their parents.) 

There is also a path to legal immigration into the UK, which we are preparing for - as we will be retiring in the UK. The hoops/money/tests/legal requirements are insane. Moreso than the US legal requirements. If I simply went to the UK (even being married to a UK citizen) on a tourist visa and "overstayed" - I would be deported and BANNED from entering the country for ten years.

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Actually, there IS a path to legal immigration (and citizenship). My husband took that path (immigration only - not citizenship). That's what pisses me off about people who come here illegally. (I understand you're talking about DACA/Dreamers not having that path.)

Do you seriously not understand the difference between your husband's situation and that of people who flee their home countries because their lives are in danger (be it from gang violence, economic destitution, lack of adequate medical care, or something else)?

These people don't have the luxury of waiting for years and years, spending thousands of dollars in the process, to possibly, maybe, get the chance to legally come to the United States. I know that it is frustrating for anyone to go through the legal immigration process. But the two situations are in no way comparable. Was your husband at risk of being murdered by a gang who was looking for his ex, like the woman in the CNN article @amandaaries linked to, while he was waiting for his visa? Was he at risk of starvation? Did he have a congenital heart defect and his home country didn't have the necessary medical facilities to treat him?

I can't believe how heartless some of our posters here apparently are. You are not better than anyone else because you had the good fortune to be born in the US (or another rich, developed country). Try to have a little empathy.

1 minute ago, JillyO said:

Do you seriously not understand the difference between your husband's situation and that of people who flee their home countries because their lives are in danger (be it from gang violence, economic destitution, lack of adequate medical care, or something else)?

These people don't have the luxury of waiting for years and years, spending thousands of dollars in the process, to possibly, maybe, get the chance to legally come to the United States. I know that it is frustrating for anyone to go through the legal immigration process. But the two situations are in no way comparable. Was your husband at risk of being murdered by a gang who was looking for his ex, like the woman in the CNN article @amandaaries linked to, while he was waiting for his visa? Was he at risk of starvation? Did he have a congenital heart defect and his home country didn't have the necessary medical facilities to treat him?

I can't believe how heartless some of our posters here apparently are. You are not better than anyone else because you had the good fortune to be born in the US (or another rich, developed country). Try to have a little empathy.

You know absolutely nothing about my husband's situation, other than that he came here legally. You're making some pretty ludicrous assumptions, actually. 

I love the 'Well MY ancestors all came here LEGALLY!' argument. Yes, my ancestors all came here 'legally' and participated (mostly if not entirely indirectly, but still) in the genocide of the people who had already lived here for thousands and thousands of years. But fuck that woman who's tired of living in constant fear of her children being kidnapped, raped and murdered, who decides to trust someone who tells her to come to the U.S. and it'll all be all right, and takes that risk out of pure desperation. Fuck her, am I right? ZERO SYMPATHY!!!

Seriously, fuck you if you can't even summon an ounce of sympathy for people like that. I don't like to call people sociopaths, so I'll be kind and say that you're just inexcusably ignorant and drowning in your own privilege. And @SapphireSlytherin, your whining about the hoops you have to jump through to be able to retire in the UK, while painting all undocumented immigrants with the same brush and shouting "ZERO SYMPATHY!!!" is disgusting. You have no shame.

29 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

In all fairness though, immigration prior to the Johnson-Reed Act of <chrome_find class="find_in_page">1924</chrome_find> was a whole different ball game. There were no  VISA requirements or documentation, no border patrol or immigration court, and virtually no deportation;  immigrating legally consisted of stepping off the boat at Ellis Island and being free of infectious disease. 

Thats not to excuse illegal immigration, but to point out the false equivalency of comparing today’s immigration process with that of our ancestors. Today’s prospective immigrant faces far more barriers and enormous financial hardship to become citizens.

Yep, all my great grandfather needed was a “sponsor” to live in America. He spoke Polish his entire life. It’s a different situation now.

I have zero sympathy for rapists, murderers, and child molesters. I can't imagine having zero sympathy for desperate people. Regardless of whether I agree with something a person has done I hope I can always see every individual as a person uniquely created in God's image and deserving of basic human rights. Illegal immigration is a complex issue but I would have hoped we could agree that separating families, denying refugees, and blocking children coming here for medical treatment is cruel and inhumane. Zero sympathy? My God. This is why Trump is here and why, if the US survives, it won't be because we deserve it. 

1 minute ago, Evangeline said:

denying refugees, and blocking children coming here for medical treatment

I've never said one word about these issues. Refugees and people being sent here for medical treatment are not here ILLEGALLY. 

51 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Actually, there IS a path to legal immigration (and citizenship). My husband took that path (immigration only - not citizenship). That's what pisses me off about people who come here illegally. (I understand you're talking about DACA/Dreamers not having that path because of the illegal actions of their parents.) 

There is also a path to legal immigration into the UK, which we are preparing for - as we will be retiring in the UK. The hoops/money/tests/legal requirements are insane. Moreso than the US legal requirements. If I simply went to the UK (even being married to a UK citizen) on a tourist visa and "overstayed" - I would be deported and BANNED from entering the country for ten years.

Some illegal immigrants I know came here legally and couldn't adjust before falling out of status.For some, it was because bad lawyers took their money and gave them bad advice. Once they realized their mistake it was too late. Others had children age out of their petitions because of backlogged courts (Trump's enforcement is making this worse btw). The one that gets to me the most is the poor woman whose fiance kicked her and her children to the curb after he got her pregnant. Her native country is still torn apart by a war that the US caused.   

And you can't ignore DREAMers when you talk about a legal path. No sane system would tell an 18 year old they are illegal with no way to help themselves after living in the USA for years.

No offense but your husband's situation doesn't translate to all immigration. White Western Europeans get way more leeway than people of color. Partly because there are less of them, partly because of  lingering colonialism and racism. I'm sorry but it's not the same.  

Also, the ten year ban is a thing in the US too. IMO that's why we have 11 million illegal immigrants.

Ok, I see this is going to stay a political thread no matter what so I will interject my two cents.

I did not vote for Trump but to act like he is all that is wrong with this country politically is extremely naive at best. As far as DACA democrats in Congress and the Senate have had several chances to protect them over the past decade but have refused to do so. All to often democrats pander to their base but consistently refuse to make any legislative changes to actually protect them. They complain about Trump but have consistently in favor of Trump's policies including increasing the military budget and increasing his spying powers. 

Democrats are a center right party and I have no illusions of Tim Kaine, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and Tom Perez leading the country to Shangrila.

Folks, please,  can you pretty please move this discussion to the Quiver Full of Politics?  You have threads on threads over there to hash this out.  We can't move since this is the appropriate place  or I'd genuinely be happy to move and work around you.

I'd like to continue the discussion on Derick and his abusive attacks on the LGBT.   I don't want him to "get away" with it because we get distracted on another equally important discussion. 

I don't want him normalizing this.  There are two things here very odd.  That he is attacking a former employer, children and former "coworkers" in the LGBT community.  This will make it almost impossible to return to normal employment.   This greatly limits their future.

There HAS to be something in the timeline with TLC. I feel we are overlooking something, Jill had top billing on this show at one time.  I bet our super sleuths can figure out exactly when it imploded.  I've been reviewing it myself.

These outbursts of Derick seem to be relatively new and/or getting worse. The other thing I'd like to really to explore is Pastor Ronnie Floyd and his relationship with Derick (and the other Duggars)  and I think it MAY explain his sudden vocal hatred of the LGBT community.  Floyd was the one that "fake commissioned"  Jill and Derick.   Floyd is not only head of Cross church but was the national President of SBC for two years, (he has met Trump on two occasions.)  Floyd has been very vocal in speaking out against LGBT people, his book is The Gay Agenda for pete sake's  and they advertise some kind of anti-gay counseling which I find deeply alarming.  If Floyd has influenced Derick this negatively, think of the thousands if not millions of others he has affecting similarly.  What else do we know about him?

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I've never said one word about these issues. Refugees and people being sent here for medical treatment are not here ILLEGALLY. 

Virulent opposition to illegal immigrants is what got us to the place where these things are acceptable. Sorry but you can't disconnect it all now. People wanted the illegals out and were willing to support a monstrous person to get it. So, here we are. 

Also, the US grants refugee status when it's politically expedient to do so, not based on the level of suffering happening in a given country. People who leave their home countries out of desperation ARE refugees even if they aren't granted legal refugee status. 

I'm still wondering how being adopted by Nate and Jeremiah has been detrimental to their children. Geez. They have two parents who are wild about them, can definitely afford to support them, and will support them their lives through..

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I got the bus home from work and few weeks ago and a man was talking French, a woman started shouting at him and said they should all go back home and speak English. While English is the main language in the UK it is far from the only native language in the UK.

That situation is horrible. The woman is obviously a horrible person for some reason. She didn't know if the guy was living in the USA permantly or a tourist from a French speaking country. If the latter then USA/ other country tourism is going to suffer. 

Mr GS refuses to return to the USA for a ski holiday whilst Dumpy Mcfuckface is sitting on his tweeting  potty at the White House. A few folk we have spoken too who were frequent visitors to Disneyland are visiting Paris this year instead. I suspect ( without seeing any figures just our experience listening to folk) that tourism numbers from Europe may well be dropping?

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So I'm assuming that your husband is not an undocumented alien.  He either has a temporary visa for employment purposes, and - or - is a Green Card holder who is, or was, eligible for citizenship in either 3 or 5 years, depending on whether his spouse is a citizen.

Like me.  Green card holder since 1979.  I woffled about becoming an American citizen or getting dual UK and US citizenship for years.  I originally decided not to because of having aging family members in the UK, and possibly wanting to move back at some point.  When the recent virulent anti-immigrant rhetoric started up I decided not to become a US citizen.  There were no advantages and, heck, I might be even a useful test case if these idiots decide to go after legal immigrants next.

Have you considered that if you succeed in retiring to the UK (having legally jumped through all those hoops you so resent) you will be an immigrant yourself, and possibly accused of sucking on the teat of the NHS.  You should know that immigrants are not always popular, legal or not.  I'm quite astonished you want to retire to the UK.  You seem to hate the place, the people, and you will be closer to those UK relatives towards whom you have demonstrated contempt.

6 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

The woman is obviously a horrible person for some reason. She didn't know if the guy was living in the USA permantly or a tourist from a French speaking country. If the latter then USA/ other country tourism is going to suffer. 

I believe that @Glasgowghirl is a UK resident and describing an incident there.  This demonstrates that there are fucked up people in the UK too.

28 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

Folks, please,  can you pretty please move this discussion to the Quiver Full of Politics?  You have threads on threads over there to hash this out.  We can't move since this is the appropriate place  or I'd genuinely be happy to move and work around you.

I'd like to continue the discussion on Derick and his abusive attacks on the LGBT.   I don't want him to "get away" with it because we get distracted on another equally important discussion. 

I don't want him normalizing this.  There are two things here very odd.  That he is attacking a former employer, children and former "coworkers" in the LGBT community.  This will make it almost impossible to return to normal employment.   This greatly limits their future.

There HAS to be something in the timeline with TLC. I feel we are overlooking something, Jill had top billing on this show at one time.  I bet our super sleuths can figure out exactly when it imploded.  I've been reviewing it myself.

These outbursts of Derick seem to be relatively new and/or getting worse. The other thing I'd like to really to explore is Pastor Ronnie Floyd and his relationship with Derick (and the other Duggars)  and I think it MAY explain his sudden vocal hatred of the LGBT community.  Floyd was the one that "fake commissioned"  Jill and Derick.   Floyd is not only head of Cross church but was the national President of SBC for two years, (he has met Trump on two occasions.)  Floyd has been very vocal in speaking out against LGBT people, his book is The Gay Agenda for pete sake's  and they advertise some kind of anti-gay counseling which I find deeply alarming.  If Floyd has influenced Derick this negatively, think of the thousands if not millions of others he has affecting similarly.  What else do we know about him?

Thread drift is part of FJ. If you don't like the topic skip it. If you'd like to go back talking about the Dullards just do it.

8 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Have you considered that if you succeed in retiring to the UK (having legally jumped through all those hoops you so resent) you will be an immigrant yourself, and possibly accused of sucking on the teat of the NHS.  You should know that immigrants are not always popular, legal or not. 

LEGAL immigrants from the EU were a big factor for Brexit.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You know absolutely nothing about my husband's situation, other than that he came here legally. You're making some pretty ludicrous assumptions, actually. 

I know that your husband is a UK citizen married to an American citizen, because you have said so yourself numerous times. I didn't make any "ludicrous assumptions" about your husband. In fact, I didn't make any assumptions about him at all. Unless you want to tell me that your husband was in danger of being murdered by gangs in the UK while he waited for his US immigration visa.

You are the person making ludicrous assumptions here. Because you assume that all "illegal immigrants" could have just as easily gone through the same process your husband went through and just waited their turn to be able to legally move to America. That's not how it works. At all.

I seriously doubt Derick has ever knowingly met or interacted(Tweeting at Jazz doesn't count) with a gay/LGBT person in his life. Like I'd be surprised. Honestly, his whole mentality about it reminds me a lot of some of my cousins who grew up in the rural midwest/south and then never left their small town at all after highschool and are shocked and offended that gay people/black people/any religion other then Christianity are actually very much a part of life in the US of A. 

Something definitely went down with TLC and I am interested to find out what it is, when we eventually find out. There is probably more to it then the Jazz thing. I think the moving to UP talk is just Derick talking crap and throwing shade at TLC for firing him or whatever. Just taking educated guesses here.

I unfollowed Jill on Insta because she was just too much, even just for the purpose of knowing what is going to be discussed here. This might be total BEC but I can not stand Jill or anything she does or the Dillard family. Derick and Jill don't seem all there in the head. I am not a mental health professional in anyway, however, they remind of people strung out on painkillers all the time. Just always in a daze. Not accusing them of that, just saying that is what they seem like, at least to me. They seem very off. Off in a way the rest of the married kids aren't. Even without their terrible beliefs or whatever, these are the kind of people I avoid and have been taught to avoid. I follow Jessa and Jinger still because a part of me is actually interested/curious what they have to post or say. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived