IGNORED

Dillards 56: Running a Marathon but not Working

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Fjrocks said:

The other thing I'd like to really to explore is Pastor Ronnie Floyd and his relationship with Derick (and the other Duggars)  and I think it MAY explain his sudden vocal hatred of the LGBT community.  Floyd was the one that "fake commissioned"  Jill and Derick.   Floyd is not only head of Cross church but was the national President of SBC for two years, (he has met Trump on two occasions.)  Floyd has been very vocal in speaking out against LGBT people, his book is The Gay Agenda for pete sake's  and they advertise some kind of anti-gay counseling which I find deeply alarming.  If Floyd has influenced Derick this negatively, think of the thousands if not millions of others he has affecting similarly.  What else do we know about him?

Thank you for bringing this up - I think Derick's relationship with Ronnie Floyd is overlooked and very worth discussing. Could Derick be aiming for a leadership position within Cross Church? He's currently participating in their ministry program, and he seems to be falling neatly in line with their pastor's ideology. His newfound 'fuck TLC' attitude, general hate speech, and lack of concern over getting an actual job would all make sense if he believes he's being groomed for a leadership position at Cross Church.

And they're idiots if they're encouraging him. Derick is not charismatic, not diplomatic, not likable, not particularly bright, and has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he has anger issues and is generally just kind of weird (and not in a positive way). The only thing he has going for him is his Duggar wife. Otherwise, I can't see him attracting people to their church at all. I know many if not most of their congregants agree with everything he says, but he's incredibly unpleasant and I can't see him being successful at engaging potential new congregants.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You know absolutely nothing about my husband's situation, other than that he came here legally. You're making some pretty ludicrous assumptions, actually. 

And you know nothing about others experinces. I have many friends and family who are immigrants. The path is not easy. The path is not short. The path is not cheap. It’s amazing your husband was able to go through a legal channel. Not everyone has that opportunity for reasons stated above in addition to others. My ex came here through legal means and has spent the last 20 years, since she was a child to keep it that way. I know her experience and because of that I would never think less of others who were even less fortunate in their immigration journey. 

I just saw a commercial on TLC about those who identify as transgender and how they are transitioning later in life and I'm just waiting for Dwreck to start on that storm momentarily. I was thinking that too @BlondeIdol like I feel like this hate is in part because he has never met anyone before that identified as LGBTQAI+. Someone mentioned that since getting fired he's just been on a breakdown.

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Thank you for bringing this up - I think Derick's relationship with Ronnie Floyd is overlooked and very worth discussing. Could Derick be aiming for a leadership position within Cross Church? He's currently participating in their ministry program, and he seems to be falling neatly in line with their pastor's ideology. His newfound 'fuck TLC' attitude, general hate speech, and lack of concern over getting an actual job would all make sense if he believes he's being groomed for a leadership position at Cross Church.

And they're idiots if they're encouraging him. Derick is not charismatic, not diplomatic, not likable, not particularly bright, and has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he has anger issues and is generally just kind of weird (and not in a positive way). The only thing he has going for him is his Duggar wife. Otherwise, I can't see him attracting people to their church at all. I know many if not most of their congregants agree with everything he says, but he's incredibly unpleasant and I can't see him being successful at engaging potential new congregants.

Maybe Dwreck wants that to be his path and Cross church and pastor Floyd are helping him because well, can they say no to a sheep and his Duggar money?  We've never heard Dwreck preach, or have we?  I feel there is some using going on and Dwreck isn't going to cement a place anytime soon.  If he wanted to be the head of anything he should be in some kind of bible studies not missioncation 101 with college kids.

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

White Western Europeans get way more leeway than people of color. Partly because there are less of them, partly because of  lingering colonialism and racism. I'm sorry but it's not the same.  

Yes. The very reason the US began to tightly restrict immigration was cut down on the influx of “undesirable” immigrants, particularly eastern European, southern European, and Chinese.

17 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I just saw a commercial on TLC about those who identify as transgender and how they are transitioning later in life and I'm just waiting for Dwreck to start on that storm momentarily. I was thinking that too @BlondeIdol like I feel like this hate is in part because he has never met anyone before that identified as LGBTQAI+. Someone mentioned that since getting fired he's just been on a breakdown.

Derick is only interested in beefing with trans children, though. Picking on someone your own size is too scary.

8 hours ago, 19catsandcounting said:

Where you're born is so arbitrary.

Whenever this topic is brought up I feel so fortunate that I happen to have been born in a place that I feel safe/satisfied/able to just live and try to be happy (shitty presidents aside). I, admittedly, have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt pretty much always, but I still think... if someone is willing to risk everything to move to a new country where they don't speak the language and have limited support and have next to no rights, but maybe, just maybe, their lives will be a little bit better than they were before... we should just let them stay.

I get to thinkin' sometimes.......

So, as humans, we migrate.  We seek better lands with better resources.  That is the way it has always been, for thousands and thousands of years until very recently in our human history.  But, now, when the land is unfertile or war torn, humans are forced to stay put.  It's unnatural. We like being free to move about with the hope of betterment.  Just a thought......

1 hour ago, Fjrocks said:

There HAS to be something in the timeline with TLC. I feel we are overlooking something, Jill had top billing on this show at one time.  I bet our super sleuths can figure out exactly when it imploded.  I've been reviewing it myself.

These outbursts of Derick seem to be relatively new and/or getting worse. The other thing I'd like to really to explore is Pastor Ronnie Floyd and his relationship with Derick (and the other Duggars)  and I think it MAY explain his sudden vocal hatred of the LGBT community.  Floyd was the one that "fake commissioned"  Jill and Derick.   Floyd is not only head of Cross church but was the national President of SBC for two years, (he has met Trump on two occasions.)  Floyd has been very vocal in speaking out against LGBT people, his book is The Gay Agenda for pete sake's  and they advertise some kind of anti-gay counseling which I find deeply alarming.  If Floyd has influenced Derick this negatively, think of the thousands if not millions of others he has affecting similarly.  What else do we know about him?

I think this is a good point although I haven't been keeping up with Derick's latest shenanigans.  So he went after Nate and Jeremiah too?  I haven't watched their show, but I gather they are sweet as well as gay.  Of course Derick went on a rampage.

My own feeling is that these are Derick's long-held beliefs and shared by the rest of the Duggar (and Bates) family.  They just don't advertise them.  Now Derick is no longer employed by TLC he can shout them from the rooftops.  We don't know why Jill and Derick's contract was ended.  They may have not renewed it, or TLC may have decided that too many of Derick's rants were ending up on the cutting room floor and terminated them.

I sincerely doubt that these are new beliefs or that Pastor Floyd suddenly instilled anti-gay rhetoric into Derick.  It is worth taking a longer look at Pastor Floyd though.

Yep, he is a pillar of the SBC as well as being head honcho at Cross Church.  While some FJers rejoiced when the Dillards affiliated with Cross Church and misinterpreted it as going "Fundie-lite" others (like me) were far less optimistic.  There isn't much that is Fundie-lite about many churches in the SBC.

There are some variations in beliefs within member churches of the SBC regarding homosexuality.  Not all pastors or churches are quite as disgustingly anti-gay as Pastor Floyd and individual churches are allowed some autonomy.  However, this is their "official" position statement:

Sexuality

We affirm God's plan for marriage and sexual intimacy – one man, and one woman, for life. Homosexuality is not a "valid alternative lifestyle." The Bible condemns it as sin. It is not, however, unforgivable sin. The same redemption available to all sinners is available to homosexuals. They, too, may become new creations in Christ.

Pastor Floyd and his ilk represents the nasty faction that is dominating the SBC at the moment.  Basically it is, "teh gays will burn in Hell Fire forever!" 

You might also want to check out the SBC positions on women in ministry and procreation.  No Fundie-lite there, IMO.   http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/positionstatements.asp

And @Fjrocks, thanks for editing your post to be more polite.  Thread drift is part of FJ and you can scroll on by.  The best way to get discussion back on track is to post on topic doggedly.  :)

I've never thought that these are new beliefs - on the contrary, I think the beliefs Derick expresses on social media are long held and common to his entire family and community. I actually think that the beliefs he expresses are probably mild compared to many of the other things he believes and refrains from expressing publicly. 

My interest is in why he's suddenly taken to loudly and doggedly pushing these beliefs on social media. What changed? What's motivating him? Is it anger at being fired? Insecurity? Is he trying to get in someone's good graces? I think the Ronnie Floyd/Cross Church thing is a very interesting angle. 

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yes, thank you I think it is key.  Floyd has been very outspoken on these two topics while he takes a more moderate or evasive stance on others, indeed somewhere he said he would never endorse Trump because of his comments about women, immigrants and minorities (I don't think he ever stated who he voted for but said he would be failing God if he didn't making some decision between H & T in the election.)   He spoke up when Trump made the dreadful "shithole" remark and said he did not agree and everyone is god's children or blah blah.  

However, on gay marriage and transgender issues, Floyd comes out with his guns absolutely blazing.  He does not mince words and I think it's not a coincidence this has become the hill Derick has planted his flag on. Derick has some alternative motive.

Here is a video of Floyd,  I post it with a trigger warning it might be upsetting for some,  he states over and over, parents need to raise "their boys to be boys" and "your girls to be girls."  I think it applies into gender roles more generally.   In a sloppy analogy he compares it to the lack of unisex clothing in the stores. LOL

Curious about something... has anyone considered possible mental illness here? 

I’m not saying that Derrick has a mental illness, but I’m curious, how do fundies deal with that?  If the headship is mentally unstable, does the wife have any right to challenge his authority? Can she encourage him to get help?

It’s scary how righteous Derrick is trying to make himself sound... like he legitimately feels his life is being threatened by a man, his husband and their adorable daughter, people he probably never men in person. 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

So I'm assuming that your husband is not an undocumented alien.  He either has a temporary visa for employment purposes, and - or - is a Green Card holder who is, or was, eligible for citizenship in either 3 or 5 years, depending on whether his spouse is a citizen.

Like me.  Green card holder since 1979.  I woffled about becoming an American citizen or getting dual UK and US citizenship for years.  I originally decided not to because of having aging family members in the UK, and possibly wanting to move back at some point.  When the recent virulent anti-immigrant rhetoric started up I decided not to become a US citizen.  There were no advantages and, heck, I might be even a useful test case if these idiots decide to go after legal immigrants next.

Have you considered that if you succeed in retiring to the UK (having legally jumped through all those hoops you so resent) you will be an immigrant yourself, and possibly accused of sucking on the teat of the NHS.  You should know that immigrants are not always popular, legal or not.  I'm quite astonished you want to retire to the UK.  You seem to hate the place, the people, and you will be closer to those UK relatives towards whom you have demonstrated contempt.

I believe that @Glasgowghirl is a UK resident and describing an incident there.  This demonstrates that there are fucked up people in the UK too.

Sadly we have to many incidents of hate crime against people in the UK. Mr GS's father was Polish. He fought for the allied troops after escaping Poland through Europe, he sold his boots in Greece for food. He and his pal met up with the French army, where evacuated at Dunkirk, atrrived in Scotland, received much needed medical care and food, were declared fit and went straight  to France as engineers building temporary bridges etc for the allied troops to move around then destroying them to prevent German  and Russian troops from moving around so easily.

When he was de-mobbed he settled in Scotland . Poland was communist then. He lost most of his family to Russian POW camps. 

He had to change his Polish name to my MILs Scottish name to keep a job as a mining engineer in the 1960s. 

Polish people who have been settled here + 2/3 generation and the folk who arrived quite legally 10 years or so ago still have a hard time. They are white. 

Nigel Farafge, Boris Johnson, Amber Rudd et al are all evil people. They are three I can think of now. I'm cross. They have a mouth piece on national TV and through parliament .

Theresa May keeps her mouth shut better than Trump manages to but is complicit up to her nasty Ostrich like chin. 

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think this is a good point although I haven't been keeping up with Derick's latest shenanigans.  So he went after Nate and Jeremiah too?  I haven't watched their show, but I gather they are sweet as well as gay.  Of course Derick went on a rampage.

My own feeling is that these are Derick's long-held beliefs and shared by the rest of the Duggar (and Bates) family.  They just don't advertise them.  Now Derick is no longer employed by TLC he can shout them from the rooftops.  We don't know why Jill and Derick's contract was ended.  They may have not renewed it, or TLC may have decided that too many of Derick's rants were ending up on the cutting room floor and terminated them.

I sincerely doubt that these are new beliefs or that Pastor Floyd suddenly instilled anti-gay rhetoric into Derick.  It is worth taking a longer look at Pastor Floyd though.

Yep, he is a pillar of the SBC as well as being head honcho at Cross Church.  While some FJers rejoiced when the Dillards affiliated with Cross Church and misinterpreted it as going "Fundie-lite" others (like me) were far less optimistic.  There isn't much that is Fundie-lite about many churches in the SBC.

There are some variations in beliefs within member churches of the SBC regarding homosexuality.  Not all pastors or churches are quite as disgustingly anti-gay as Pastor Floyd and individual churches are allowed some autonomy.  However, this is their "official" position statement:

Pastor Floyd and his ilk represents the nasty faction that is dominating the SBC at the moment.  Basically it is, "teh gays will burn in Hell Fire forever!" 

You might also want to check out the SBC positions on women in ministry and procreation.  No Fundie-lite there, IMO.   http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/positionstatements.asp

And @Fjrocks, thanks for editing your post to be more polite.  Thread drift is part of FJ and you can scroll on by.  The best way to get discussion back on track is to post on topic doggedly.  :)

Yes thank you @Palimpsest for the link, I am very interested in this connection.  As always, your wealth of knowledge far exceed mine and I appreciate your detailed explanation.

I look forward to reading up on his views on women while I eat my now burnt bacon and eggs currently dying on the stove.  :)

5 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I’m not saying that Derrick has a mental illness, but I’m curious, how do fundies deal with that?  If the headship is mentally unstable, does the wife have any right to challenge his authority? Can she encourage him to get help?

It’s scary how righteous Derrick is trying to make himself sound... like he legitimately feels his life is being threatened by a man, his husband and their adorable daughter, people he probably never men in person. 

I hate this, to be honest. I hate how anytime someone is brash, ignorant asshat, people always suggest mental illness. It's a real disservice to those who actually suffer from mental illness. People can be hateful assholes without mental illness being involved. I think Derrick is pissed about his lot in life, but I think his beliefs aren't that far from the rest of the Duggars, he just has a louder voice regarding it. 

13 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Growing up in fundieland I can tell you that we were taught that if we were "right with God" then that would solve any kind of "mental problem" I remember my pastor preaching from the pulpit and saying "we don't have a mental problem in this country, we have a sin problem" and that is exactly what is taught. Feeling sad? Read your Bible more. Feeling stressed? Pray more. Feeling sad & emotional? (something I have always dealt with) their answer: you're probably not "saved" and you need Jesus. It's very sad and very dangerous what they believe and teach in regards to mental illness. I have no doubt in my mind that my mother suffered from some kind of mental illness but since they didn't believe in that she never got help. 

3 minutes ago, viii said:

I hate this, to be honest. I hate how anytime someone is brash, ignorant asshat, people always suggest mental illness. It's a real disservice to those who actually suffer from mental illness. People can be hateful assholes without mental illness being involved. I think Derrick is pissed about his lot in life, but I think his beliefs aren't that far from the rest of the Duggars, he just has a louder voice regarding it. 

In no way was I trying to be disrespectful to people who actually suffer with mental illness. My husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar tendencies so mental illness has been on my mind and I’ve been reading about it a lot. Some of Derricks actions seem more than just hateful, but completely psychotic... and there seems to have been some sort of trigger that has caused him to start this raging against LGBTQ community.

I know you weren't being disrespectful, it's just something I see often and I think it's too easy of an out for people. I don't like to see hate being excused away because of mental illness because 99% of people who spout off like this, aren't mentally ill - they're just uneducated assholes with a superiority complex. 

8 minutes ago, viii said:

I tend to cross Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty infamy on this. I strongly doubt there is anything affecting him other being a mean, ornery, old, fundie son o If a gun. 

2 minutes ago, viii said:

I wonder if  most humans jump to thinking that folk like Trump and Dwreck have mental illness because the alternative is to horrible to think about- that folk who cope with every day life, survive in the world, have families, who are our neighbours next door etc - are just evil people who don't want to share the planet with other human beings put on the earth by God ( if you believe in him) and go out of the way to make life totally shite for other human beings. 

We are all conceived, all born, all die. We all need oxygen,water,food and shelter. What does give some humans the right to deny that to other humans? 

I don't want to believe in evil or get into a philosophical discussion about it ( I've had wine) but we (the general we) cannot deny the presence of evil from somewhere, here on earth with us. 

Just now, viii said:

I know you weren't being disrespectful, it's just something I see often and I think it's too easy of an out for people. I don't like to see hate being excused away because of mental illness because 99% of people who spout off like this, aren't mentally ill - they're just uneducated assholes with a superiority complex. 

I agree with you there. Some people are just hateful because they dont know better. 

The main reason that I bring up possible mental illness is because of the ‘break’ that I feel happened with Derrick. Something caused a drastic change in him from the seemingly charismatic young man who courted Jill to this complete asshat.

48 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

There are some variations in beliefs within member churches of the SBC regarding homosexuality.  Not all pastors or churches are quite as disgustingly anti-gay as Pastor Floyd and individual churches are allowed some autonomy.

Genuine question- What percentage of church members do people think believe the anti-gay rhetoric? I ask because I feel like I've heard it confidently asserted here both that just about everyone attending a cross church believes those things, and then there's been posts saying that Derick' s vitriol towards the queer community will not be well received by their church community. I've always assumed the sentiment there swayed heavily towards Derick's beliefs, because he's so hateful so openly, but what do I know? I'd love to hear other people's opinions and reasoning.

2 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I tend to cross Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty infamy on this. I strongly doubt there is anything affecting him other being a mean, ornery, old, fundie son o If a gun. 

When the programme first hit our shores we watched it agog. We were never quite sure if the family were for real or some elaborate TV con. Sadly they are real. 

On 2018-04-27 at 4:53 PM, feministxtian said:

What is "the homosexual agenda" anyway? 

Depends on who you talk to. For some it's all about glitter, unicorns, and fabulous end tables. For others it's about organic vegan gluten-free politically correct kombucha and Blundstones. Perhaps for others it's about whiskey, aged ribeye and burly lumberjacks in handknit bondage harnesses... I think the common agenda is about letting people be people who love whomever they love, and not using religion as an excuse to be an asshole.

Fuck you, Derwad Dillhole.

All this kerfuffle cefefe is due to the fact that the poverty and continuous war levels in predominantly brown countries, have created tens of millions of people left in unlivable desperate conditions. Then add tens of millions of poor brown people living in impoverished countries with corrupt governments, no social safety nets, oppressive misogynistic theocracies (countries that don't promote birth control and or outright ban it). We've reached critical mass on planet earth. The areas were brown people live are nothing but deserts, jungles or war zones, throw in some wealth inequality and voila. The below shows how the top are getting more and more and the bottom are sharing less and less per this report.

If we assume the world trend to be captured by the combined experience of China, Europe and the United States, the wealth share of the world’s top 1% wealthiest people increased from 28% to 33%, while the share commanded by the bottom 75% oscillated around 10% between 1980 and 2016

So what does this mean? It means scary brown people who speak funny langues and worship weird gods are invading all us nice white people and and we don't like it. Our little bit of the pie we had that the 1% allows us is now being used by more and more people and instead of blame the few who have too much we blaming the different who have nothing and re taking the little we have, because MAYBE one day you'll win the lotto or you'll strike it rich and be in the top 1%, or maybe you think you almost there and the only thing keeping you from that and it can't possibly because those nice rich white folks don't want you to join their club, no, it is those lazy scary brown people from dirty places who don't look like us or talk like us or pray like  us because that is what the nice rich white people who look like us and talk like us and say they pray like us said. 

30 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

In no way was I trying to be disrespectful to people who actually suffer with mental illness. My husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar tendencies so mental illness has been on my mind and I’ve been reading about it a lot. Some of Derricks actions seem more than just hateful, but completely psychotic... and there seems to have been some sort of trigger that has caused him to start this raging against LGBTQ community.

I would personally caution against using the word psychotic in relation to Derick. He may be angry, lashing out, and may not make sense to us ideologically, but I would be surprised if he shows any truly psychotic tendencies in real life. 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived