IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

@Cheetah it was on A&E. Titled “The Women Behind the Massacre.” And as someone mentioned upthread, the Jonestown SDSU resources are invaluable.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FJ is a strange place. It is wonderful and informative and I truly believe we have the cleverest, funniest people here. Some of our subjects make me have to take time off (Lori), but it really is about the community. We can discuss things, some important and relevant, some just fun, but it is like talking to friends. I don’t know why we are getting all sappy here tonight but it’s better than arguing with people who want to make their mark by being divisive and controversial. Fuck them, I say. The rest of you are amazing. I am proud to be a member. I laugh. That’s why I stay. 

8 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

@Cheetah it was on A&E. Titled “The Women Behind the Massacre.” And as someone mentioned upthread, the Jonestown SDSU resources are invaluable.

thanks!

It's showing again next Monday if anyone else is interested in catching it.

8 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

On Scrubs, Dr. Kelso telling Dr. Cox that people are generally "bastard covered bastards with a bastard center". :(

This. 

One of my favorite sayings.  I am actually a very positive person and I really like people in general.  Until the past few years, that is.  I am getting so jaded.  I say the Dr. Kelso line all the time.  I may get it printed on a mug.

4 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

This. 

One of my favorite sayings.  I am actually a very positive person and I really like people in general.  Until the past few years, that is.  I am getting so jaded.  I say the Dr. Kelso line all the time.  I may get it printed on a mug.

You're a bit late to the game. :)  https://www.google.com/search?q=bastard+covered+bastards+with+bastard+filling+coffee+cup&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWy9jM_8nZAhWFwFMKHSjPDB0Q_AUICygC&biw=1144&bih=642

Going back to the forceps for a moment, could be some funky positioning but the curve of the marks, its possible. See pic. 

I was looking for some Duggar event on Google and FJ popped up first. I lurked for a very long time before joining, and I still have times where I get the smackdown but all in all this is my happy place.  The people here are real, (for the internet it's great!) and it's awesome!

Screenshot_20180228-204132.jpg

On 27/02/2018 at 8:18 PM, Chocolatecheesecake said:

And Austin... Swiss with a German accent? Usually I'm pretty understanding for people not knowing everything about different cultures, we all have stuff left to learn, but for God's sake, lear which language they speak in the country you "always dreamed of traveling to". 

Sorry for the derail but this is my pet peeve and I have to clarify- he isn't being an idiot- he clearly says Swiss with a German DIALECT which is true, they speak German, French and Italian as the national languages.

If any of you guys are podcast listeners, Last Podcast on the Left just wrapped up a really in-depth series on Jonestown that covered a ton of stuff I never knew about, even after seeing a few of the documentaries. They play audio from some of Jones's sermons and meetings that give a good sense of the kind of mind-bending stress that those folks were being subjected to. That particular podcast isn't for everyone-- the hosts are comedians with some pretty irreverent humor-- but they present a lot of great research in a really listenable way.

6 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

If any of you guys are podcast listeners, Last Podcast on the Left just wrapped up a really in-depth series on Jonestown that covered a ton of stuff I never knew about, even after seeing a few of the documentaries. They play audio from some of Jones's sermons and meetings that give a good sense of the kind of mind-bending stress that those folks were being subjected to. That particular podcast isn't for everyone-- the hosts are comedians with some pretty irreverent humor-- but they present a lot of great research in a really listenable way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been really into podcasts lately and am always looking for new ones. A friend just recommended Last Podcast on the Left and I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. I’m going to subscribe now!

2 hours ago, nst said:

never :D

sending you a virtual massage coupon because I got one on saturday :D

let's discuss pms then - currently I am one who needs to drink everything before my period starts. 

ah i feel better for sharing 

PMS is a bitch, I am going through that right now and a flu. 

Is it just me or do all the Duggar girls seem to have really big, male babies? Is this all a coincidence, or could some environmental factor be at play?

Lots of thoughts on FJ!!

I was one of those many people who lurked for years, and I'm still on FJ a lot. Definitely every day. Besides my email, its the website I visit the most. And you know why? Because FJ is enlightening and entertaining and endearing. I LOVE this community that is full of insightful, funny, and supportive women (and men). I lurked in college when I was beyond stressed and my relationship with my parents was shit and I had an eating disorder and FJ was escape. Now I'm in a happier place and I still read because you all make me learn and make me laugh. FJ is like a good book except it keeps on going so you can keep reading! (And also if you can't read for a while it takes FOREVERRRR to catch up and some of us have FOMO)

And since we're being gushy I just want to give two shoutouts to some of our most prolific and popular FJers. @VelociRapture I think you have incredible commentary on every. single. subject and I admire that so much. (How do you do that????) You've even stuck up for me on a forum before  and I was grateful to have one of "top FJers" understand me. The only bad thing is that I still picture you as Jana so the new avatar confuses me haha. @singsingsing Same thing with the awesome posts on everything!! I love your lists and your SIMS family inspired me to start my own FJ blog about it which is the first creative thing I've ever "published" and it's scary but really fun! 

But I genuinely love reading everyone's responses (except for the trolls). So yay love and flowers and I wish I had joined sooner and the people who don't "get it" don't have to stick around.

Concerning Jonestown, I’ve listened to that final tape (found on the SDSU site) and read the transcript, it’s surreal. Jones couldn’t have done it without those women mixing up the poison and a woman’s voice instructs the children first. As a mother if my child just convulsed and died in my arms, it would have killed me. They knew the women would follow the children. I personally see them all as being murdered with the exception of the women who orchestrated it. They had armed guards keeping them in the pavilion, bullet, arrow or poison, they were all going to die. Jones didn’t even kill himself, Anne Moore shot him. 

In fact I’ve read the complete site and at least read most of the transcripts of the tapes, some are too heartbreaking to listen to. I don’t consider Jones fundie, to him it wasn’t about religion at all. At first he used religion to manipulate these disenfranchised people and then used educated people looking for a way to give back to society. His religion was himself, his pleasures and his power. He wanted people to worship him. Just my opinion after reading all I could on the subject. 

Now back to Gideon, he’s still cute. 

1 hour ago, thinandfit said:

Sorry for the derail but this is my pet peeve and I have to clarify- he isn't being an idiot- he clearly says Swiss with a German DIALECT which is true, they speak German, French and Italian as the national languages.

I didn't watch, so I have no idea if he said "Swiss with a German accent" or "Swiss with a German dialect," but either one is wrong. You could say they speak German with a Swiss dialect, or just Swiss German. Swiss is not a language.

I also want to join in the love-fest. I love you people. I love my fellow demographics nerds with your lists and spreadsheets. I love that we have posters from literally all over the world chiming in with their experiences and perspectives. I love all of the support in this community. I love the intelligent discussions on so many different topics. Seriously, you guys all rock! :big-heart:

Ahhh @neurogirl you’re making me feel super guilty for abandoning my fundie sims! :pb_lol: Okay, I haven’t abandoned them, I just got really wrapped up in other stuff (but don’t tell anyone I have hobbies outside of FJ, it’ll totally ruin my cred). I might spend some time on that tomorrow, since I’m still sick and pretty much useless. So many plot lines to resolve... so. many. sim. babies.

I just used my new reading glasses to confirm that the "Move Along" reaction is, in fact, a deceased parrot. (I almost always read FJ on my phone, and would have said before it was some pile of sludge in motion - ???)

So thanks, whoever yelled at the rest of us and told us to "dead parrot" you - you have enhanced my FJ experience.  :562479b38219e_WinkingmygrinD:

And, if all else fails, there is the Bro. Gary Hawkins thread.  Bad day?  Go there!  

9 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

I just used my new reading glasses to confirm that the "Move Along" reaction is, in fact, a deceased parrot. (I almost always read FJ on my phone, and would have said before it was some pile of sludge in motion - ???)

So thanks, whoever yelled at the rest of us and told us to "dead parrot" you - you have enhanced my FJ experience.  :562479b38219e_WinkingmygrinD:

OMFG.

I thought it was a submarine with its periscope up.

And I am wearing my reading glasses....

(And can I tell you how much time I spent looking through the emoticons for a dead parrot?)

I'm such a moron.

Edit:  I'm laughing SO.HARD. DH couldn't tell it was the dead parrot either. LMAO

3 hours ago, nst said:

never :D

sending you a virtual massage coupon because I got one on saturday :D

let's discuss pms then - currently I am one who needs to drink everything before my period starts. 

ah i feel better for sharing 

Everything. Ev-er-y-thi-ng.  Like, what?  I need more info!

2 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Yep I am Canadian and not getting the last apology in kills me! :pb_lol: But , I won't, it's over. No dead parrots here!

Sarcasm away! I will figure it out. I promise!

You Canadians are so damn cute!  I know some irl and its just like that!  The world loves you Canadians!  Never stop being you, we need you. <3

1 hour ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

All our periods have synced up and I’m loving it.

At least for me, you have won the internet today!  I can't stop laughing. 

I also keep making random mental lists, what with all the talk?  I'm not even a major list maker, I appreciate them though!  See what you've done?

1. Made lists.

2. Made me read them.

3. Start making me make mental lists of FJ things.

4. Ruined my deathbed.

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

3 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Yep I am Canadian and not getting the last apology in kills me! :pb_lol: But , I won't, it's over. No dead parrots here!

Sarcasm away! I will figure it out. I promise!

One of the others was me. I self-reflected in the prayer closet, I have rinsed the taste of my foot out of my mouth, and wiped the egg off of my face. Apologies again. I live in Michigan and get CBC, so I’ll give a small try in the apology game, but will ultimately be defeated by the great remorseful powers to the north.;)

And while we’re on the subject, Canada rocks! Your beer is great, your food delicious, your people are wonderful, and (as a Penguins fan) I’m forever grateful for Sidney Crosby and his magnificent ass! 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

I didn't watch, so I have no idea if he said "Swiss with a German accent" or "Swiss with a German dialect," but either one is wrong. You could say they speak German with a Swiss dialect, or just Swiss German. Swiss is not a language.

I'm not a huge fan of Austin, so I'm not trying to make excuses for him by any means, but in this case it appeared to be a slip of the tongue on his part. The phrasing confusion is at least minimally compounded by the fact that when they're in a restaurant in Geneva and the waiter is speaking somewhat broken English to them, what the waiter says sounds to me like  "Do you speak Swiss? [Something something] fromage?" The English caption on screen reads "You speak Swiss? Cheese?"

This clip of them at the restaurant is followed by a talking head in which Austin says "In Geneva, where we're at, they speak French, and then in other parts of the country they have, uh..." Joy says "Swiss German", and then he says "Swiss with a German dialect".  In a later talking head (clearly filmed at the same time as the previous, since they're in Zermatt for both), he says "In this part of Switzerland they speak Swiss German."  So it does sound like he knows the difference, he just got mixed up in the interview and the editors/TLC left it in.

There’s also a pretty good documentary on Jonestown available on YouTube called “Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple”. It’s pretty comprehensive and goes nicely with the information on the SDSU site. 

**It contains descriptions of sexual and physical abuse within the Temple, so watch accordingly if this would be a trigger. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived