IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

On 2/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, LimeKitty said:

You still here? Thought you were packing up and heading to Cuba. :pb_lol:

What? You have been here five minutes. Why are you going after other members?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, freethemall said:

I don't know where this thread has gone but if we're comparing he'll stories I'd like you all to know I'm home with mastitis right now from breastfeeding and it SUCKS.

My sister was plagued with it with her first. What helped a lot was an electric toothbrush (or a vibrator!) set on the lump - the vibrations would help break it up. Hope you are feeling better soon. 

Ohhh, I just realized that you guys were talking about the reaction, not an emoticon. Yeah, I definitely didn't realize that was a parrot. I thought it was a pile of something stinking.

2 hours ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

There is no such thing as a swiss language, they only speak German, French and Italian, each with a Swiss dialect. 

Don't forget about Romansh!

59 minutes ago, Edhelfin said:

It is not 'falsely' done if criticism is based on what Duggars actually said or did. And of course they can have cute babies while holding harmful beliefs. Who said anything about the babies not being cute?

I am still curious about what I asked in my post though. Do you really want the hype about the Duggars to die down? Do you honestly want their show to be cancelled and them to disappear from public eye? 

(I know this may lead to the younger ones having more sheltered lives away from the eyes of the media. I am interested in reasons apart from that.) 

I think I should make another thread and stop hacking this one.

I can only answer for myself. Personally, I’m a bit torn. I do very much want the show to end for good because I don’t like the idea of giving these people (or the Bateses) a national platform to spew their hate. At the same time, I do worry about what might happen to the minor children involved if that happens. I don’t know for sure, but I think the show may have protected the younger children from the abuses and insecurities (financial, food, etc) their older siblings/parents were subjected to. I am a bit concerned that the younger children could find themselves treated more harshly on a consistent basis if the cameras disappear completely. 

I’m honestly not worried about FJ. If the show ended tomorrow FJ would still be here. The Duggars and Bateses are popular topics, but we talk about other things as well. The show ending would absolutely affect the site to an extent, but that might not be the worst thing in the world. It might get some people interested in other parts of the site.

@Edhelfin I honestly don’t care whether the Duggars stay on the air. I’m of the belief that their influence is greatly overestimated. 

I do think it’s important to remember though that you handslapped people who made spreadsheets, which is a neutral form of information, and drew a false equivalency between that and leghumping.

2 hours ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, because English is not my first language but even if he said Swiss with a German DIALECT it would be wrong. Because it would be German with a Swiss dialect, right? There is no such thing as a swiss language, they only speak German, French and Italian, each with a Swiss dialect. And I speak German with an Austrian dialect. Am I missing something here?  

You’re not missing anything. “Swiss with a German dialect,” is wrong and does not exist. He misspoke. As @metheglyn pointed out, Austin used the correct, “Swiss German,” in one clip and the incorrect, “Swiss with a German dialect,” in another.

Also, to quickly go back to why I FJ (yes, I just made FJ a verb):

Without intending to sound arrogant or obnoxious, I'm consider myself pretty well educated and I definitely hold my own in a game of Jeopardy :my_cool: 

However, sometimes y'all make me feel very dumb! :pb_lol: FJers are so damn smart! I feel like I'm a history nerd, and then there's a 5 page thread drift on the Tudors, and I'm just sat here like :my_huh:

17 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think having a long labor followed by a c-section, like many women do, it's far harder on your body than when you have a repeat c-section, for sure.

WITHOUT QUESTION!

My first c-section came after 24 hours or labor AND I wasn't entirely numb during the procedure.  That c-section was the 12th circle of hell.  The repeat c-sections were a spa treatment by comparison.

3 hours ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, because English is not my first language but even if he said Swiss with a German DIALECT it would be wrong. Because it would be German with a Swiss dialect, right? There is no such thing as a swiss language, they only speak German, French and Italian, each with a Swiss dialect. And I speak German with an Austrian dialect. Am I missing something here?  

You are correct. My mom is from Switzerland. She speaks German. There is no Swiss language.

A little bit late, but a couple of podcast recommendations.

I listen to Astonishing Legends, they cover some kind of out there subjects but do a really in depth analysis of everything (some of the topics are two or three episodes long).  Not all of the topics have been things I was originally interested in but I've always enjoyed the podcast and what they brought to the table on the subject.

Also Stuff They Don't Want You to Know, which covers some interesting topics as well.

I'll definitely check out the Jonestown podcast on Last Podcast on The Left.  

Always up for recommendations on learning more about fundamentalism as well. I read Leah Remini's book on Scientology and it was a real eye opener.

FJ is a really interesting, humerous, and generally welcoming place, so thank you all for that! I never feel like I'm wasting time online when I come here- just the opposite. It's such a great place to stimulate learning and thinking.

On Podcasts I like Backstory, the History of English and the History of Rome. Also Fivethirtyeight has a good take on political news that isn't pundit talking- points rehashed. 

Yeeesh I think we've clarified you can't have a dialect of a non-existent language. Swiss German is a dialect of German not the other way around. Part of me wants to say Austin's statement is what you get without a high-quality secondary education. But I think it's a pretty innocent mistake that he made and he probably just misspoke. 

28 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

You are correct. My mom is from Switzerland. She speaks German. There is no Swiss language.

we are sisters from another mother :)

12 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

FJ is a really interesting, humerous, and generally welcoming place, so thank you all for that! I never feel like I'm wasting time online when I come here- just the opposite. It's such a great place to stimulate learning and thinking.

currently haven is down so I am here 

what are you people going to do :D

I learned a lot last night - all about a rabbit 

50 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Also, to quickly go back to why I FJ (yes, I just made FJ a verb):

Without intending to sound arrogant or obnoxious, I'm consider myself pretty well educated and I definitely hold my own in a game of Jeopardy :my_cool: 

However, sometimes y'all make me feel very dumb! :pb_lol: FJers are so damn smart! I feel like I'm a history nerd, and then there's a 5 page thread drift on the Tudors, and I'm just sat here like :my_huh:

but can you balance a chequebook  huh can you - huh 

History - Napoleon tell me all about him....

4 minutes ago, nst said:

Yes, only i spell it checkbook :pb_lol:

Just now, front hugs > duggs said:

Yes, only i spell it checkbook :pb_lol:

check·book

ˈCHekˌbo͝ok/

noun

noun: chequebook

a book of blank checks with a register for recording checks written.

ROFL DO YOU MEAN I HAVE SPELLING IT WRONG ALL THIS TIME

someone call my bank manager and tell them 

:argumentative:

12 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

I just used my new reading glasses to confirm that the "Move Along" reaction is, in fact, a deceased parrot. (I almost always read FJ on my phone, and would have said before it was some pile of sludge in motion - ???)

So thanks, whoever yelled at the rest of us and told us to "dead parrot" you - you have enhanced my FJ experience.  :562479b38219e_WinkingmygrinD:

Wow, it is a dead parrot! I never looked at it too closely (I too read FJ on my phone) and always thought it was a train with smoke rising out of the stack. Kind of a “the train has left the station” thing. :pb_eek::pb_lol:

8 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

How many talking heads have been focused on having the Duggars answer questions that they don’t know the answers to? Is it supposed to be funny? Is the audience supposed to get laughs by feeling superior to an ignorant Duggar? In real life, I don’t laugh at people when they don’t know something. I think the producers are mocking the Duggars, and I have never found it amusing. I could be wrong, maybe the producers love the Duggars and just make them look stupid out of kindness, but that just isn’t how I would present anyone that I respected. I haven’t watched in a couple of seasons, so maybe the “let’s make fun of a Duggar” talking head sessions aren’t a thing anymore. As much as I dislike these people,  I always found it off putting. 

I’ve always interpreted those questions from the producers as a way to highlight how insulated the Duggars are from the “evil secular world.” I haven’t considered the fact that it could be intended to mock them. Thanks for offering a different perspective.

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

So, I took screenshots of closeups of all the voting options. They might be easier for folks to see. I'm putting the pics under spoilers, because I doubt everyone cares. :kitty-wink:

From top to bottom (on my phone):

Move Along (-1 reputation)

Reveal hidden contents

20180228_234138.thumb.png.b141701f2c0ad10f0b2b39aad96fa64c.png

Extra close of the infamous parrot:20180228_235115.png.ea81c6be86590f92cbeefab9a6ec1076.png

Oh my goodness. I legitimately thought that Move Along was a little tug boat. My life is a lie!! :tw_flushed:

12 hours ago, Beermeet said:

At least for me, you have won the internet today!  I can't stop laughing. 

I also keep making random mental lists, what with all the talk?  I'm not even a major list maker, I appreciate them though!  See what you've done?

1. Made lists.

2. Made me read them.

3. Start making me make mental lists of FJ things.

4. Ruined my deathbed.

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

i think that "ruining my deathbed making FJ spreadsheets" should be a post count:562479514c500_32(1):. i'm going to post a reminder about it for @Coconut Flanin the appropriate thread.

That's what I'm going to think when I'm 113* and my time is drawing to a close. "I've had a good life. I had an amazing family, amazing friends, some truly wonderful experiences. I travelled, I got a degree, I overcame so many challenges and learned so much. I enjoyed the simple things, I cherished the time I had with my loved ones before they passed away. I published 40 novels and cured the common cold (okay, now I'm getting into Game of Life tiles territory). But it was all for naught.  Damn that random person on the Free Jinger forum 83 years ago for opening my eyes to the time I wasted making spreadsheets. DAMN THEM!!!"

*I want to live to see the 22nd century, so sue me. Or I used to. With the way the world is going, I'm not so sure now. :pb_confused:

I'm not sure why, but they were going to use forceps for my LO.  I mean I don't know why they were doing that rather than the vacuum.  I will say that they had just opened the sterile packaging when he was born and the nurse who opened them laughed and said to his student that every time they open the package the kid is born.  I think he was joking but clearly they plan to use them way more often then they have to.  

They were perhaps a bit over cautious in getting ready to use them then they needed to be with me.  My mom who was there to stand up for me and help with the medical people (totally didn't) did say she was surprised they were talking to me about it as his heart beat wasn't going down much and it seemed like he was fine (he was).  I will say even using the words was scary to me, they gave me a list of complications that can be caused, then what can happen if they didn't, and asked me for consent.  Then a huge number of people came in and it was all extremely overwhelming.  LO just wanted to do things his way though and was born without complications.   

20 hours ago, freethemall said:

I don't know where this thread has gone but if we're comparing he'll stories I'd like you all to know I'm home with mastitis right now from breastfeeding and it SUCKS.

Had that once. Once is MORE than anyone needs. And, since I was between children and not breastfeeding, we didn't catch it quickly. At one point, I begged them to cut it off. I may or may not have been a bit delirious at that point. Poor thing! Please hold on. Mega-OUCH.

2 hours ago, nst said:

we are sisters from another mother :)

currently haven is down so I am here 

what are you people going to do :D

I learned a lot last night - all about a rabbit 

History - Napoleon tell me all about him....

YAY- I always wanted a sister!

@Million Children For Jesus...

But was does it say about the adult Duggars and JB in particular, that they are willing to let themselves be used and appear to be unintelligent, all for easy money? Doesn't the ultimate responsibility fall on the Duggars themselves? The adult and married Duggars all have a choice- no one is mandated to work for TLC-Figure8.

18 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I love FJ. I'm relatively new here, but I love it. :my_heart: 

i'm just in it for the cat pictures.  

no really, my time here has coincided with some IRL difficulties, so this has been my escapism tactic.  and i've learned a lot, too.

16 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Jonestown is one of the first big news memories I have... I remember reading the long newspaper stories about it (I think I was 8 at the time).  I now live in Leo Ryan's district (didn't live here when he was killed).  There's a lovely park nearby named for him.  

i was around 8 when Jonestown happened, too.  we lived in the Bay Area near Leo Ryan's district, so it was treated as local news.  i've seen several documentaries, but i'd like to see this new one too.  

11 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

And of course you want to always listen to what your OB or midwives are saying. No certain formula works for every woman, but excess baby weight can be avoided. I was still working 48-56 hours plus at 34 weeks with #3 and was too tired to cook. So more than a few double cheeseburgers and pizzas were consumed. And it’s certainly the time to indulge at times. :)

That said, I wish I would have been more vigilant about what I was eating. It’s been 11 years since #4, and I guess I’ll have to stop calling it baby weight soon. Maybe next year! Lol!

And the carbs thing, I totally get it!  I craved Little Caesar’s crazy bread in one of my pregnancies. We had one a quarter of a mile away. I indulged often. My son loves crazy bread 

Oh absolutely listen to your OB! Mine hasn't given me much direction at all, she just looks at my weight at my check ups and says "Perfect" so I'm in a "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it" kind of place.  I'm somewhere around 10lbs up at 21 weeks.  I'm not restricting myself except in a "you only need one bowl of ice cream today, not two" kind of way lol.

I thought the "move along" icon was a golf hole, I never saw a parrot there!  I thought it was a combo of play through or something in golf and somehow a joke about JB and ME humping on the course-like we all would like to move along from knowing about that.  :D 

Regarding forceps, I asked two OBs in my office about this and both said they do not use them and only use the vacuum.  Both the OBs and my birth class teacher said that forceps are more a generational thing and it's about what the doctor is comfortable and familiar with, so older doctors often use forceps because it's what they know and younger doctors typically use the vacuum because that's what they know best.  I suppose in an emergency though, anything is possible.  

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

But was does it say about the adult Duggars and JB in particular, that they are willing to let themselves be used and appear to be unintelligent, all for easy money?

Not a hell of a lot. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived