IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Doesn't the ultimate responsibility fall on the Duggars themselves?

I’m not sure how much control they have over editing. I have never heard on FJ of Jim Bob being a producer on any episodes, and I haven’t checked to see if he is listed as a producer. It could also be as mentioned upthread, that the producers, (with Jim Bob’s approval?), are highlighting how insulated the Duggars are from the secular world. That would be in kind with the brand image, although I’m not sure how believable it is anymore. Without seeing the contract, I can’t even begin to speculate what TLC does or doesn’t have permission to show. They got away with showing Josie crapping herself. As a parent, I can’t imagine wanting that in a final cut. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

The adult and married Duggars all have a choice- no one is mandated to work for TLC-Figure8.

They do, technically, but I’m sure the pressure is intense to keep the show going for the financial benefit of the family as a whole. I’m not really sure if I were in that situation that I would feel like I had a choice. I would feel obligated to be on the show, especially if my quitting would negatively impact my siblings. (My rhetorical siblings in this situation. Not my real siblings. I don’t have two shits to give about my real siblings.) 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I’m not sure how much control they have over editing. I have never heard on FJ of Jim Bob being a producer on any episodes, and I haven’t checked to see if he is listed as a producer. It could also be as mentioned upthread, that the producers, (with Jim Bob’s approval?), are highlighting how insulated the Duggars are from the secular world. That would be in kind with the brand image, although I’m not sure how believable it is anymore. Without seeing the contract, I can’t even begin to speculate what TLC does or doesn’t have permission to show. They got away with showing Josie crapping herself. As a parent, I can’t imagine wanting that in a final cut. 

I would be surprised if they had much say in the final cut based on some of those TH where the producers ask the kids some questions and they get them terribly, terribly wrong (i.e: task master). I doubt JB would have let some of those slide. Especially the ones that made the kids look terribly uneducated. 

3 hours ago, Ace3 said:

Oh my goodness. I legitimately thought that Move Along was a little tug boat. My life is a lie!! :tw_flushed:

I thought it was a little car. (It's small, it's called Move Along, it makes sense!) I just couldn't understand why it was being driven by a toothbrush...

I am having so much fun reading about everyone’s interpretations of the Dead Parrot!! But confession time:  if I hadn’t stumbled onto the original conversation as it took place regarding its creation and the reference to the Monty Python sketch, I too would have no idea what or why it was......

17 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

I just used my new reading glasses to confirm that the "Move Along" reaction is, in fact, a deceased parrot. (I almost always read FJ on my phone, and would have said before it was some pile of sludge in motion - ???)

So thanks, whoever yelled at the rest of us and told us to "dead parrot" you - you have enhanced my FJ experience.  :562479b38219e_WinkingmygrinD:

This.  Me too!!  Odd that I never really questioned why it was a pile of moving sludge.

My eyes are very bad.  I am old.

So,  I am embarrassed to ask but must.

Where do Podcasts come from?  I have no clue and want to check them out!

Thanks in advance :D

I also just remembered a book recommendation buried in the last JRod thread about the Tudors.  Well, I know what I'm doing when I get home!  

Re Jonestown one of the important things I learned reading the SDSU archives was hw problematic the phrase “drinking the koolaid” is...especially to survivors. Mainly because it gives the impression that people went willingly and that Jonestown was a mass suicide of feeble minded minorities, which it wasn’t. It was a mass murder.

2 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

They do, technically, but I’m sure the pressure is intense to keep the show going for the financial benefit of the family as a whole. I’m not really sure if I were in that situation that I would feel like I had a choice. I would feel obligated to be on the show, especially if my quitting would negatively impact my siblings. (My rhetorical siblings in this situation. Not my real siblings. I don’t have two shits to give about my real siblings.) 

When did they show Josie soiling herself? I don’t remember that.

14 minutes ago, Whatthefundie said:

When did they show Josie soiling herself? I don’t remember that.

I can't remember which episode it was, but they also did a segment with the producer laughing about it and laughing about the fact that Josie would probably be embarrassed about it later on in life. I think that guy is a sociopath. That's kind of why I'm iffy about the cameras keeping the kids safe. I'm not sure the people working on the show actually give two shits about anything.

Josie's blowout is right up there with Jordyn(?) getting her head stuck in the stair railing and sobbing as everyone laughed, Jason falling through the stage and breaking his jaw and lying there as they all stared at him and Michelle filmed him with her phone, and Jim Bob pulling that hilarious prank where he made Kelly and Gil think that someone had stolen their van and kidnapped a bunch of their children.

7 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Also, to quickly go back to why I FJ (yes, I just made FJ a verb):

Without intending to sound arrogant or obnoxious, I'm consider myself pretty well educated and I definitely hold my own in a game of Jeopardy :my_cool: 

However, sometimes y'all make me feel very dumb! :pb_lol: FJers are so damn smart! I feel like I'm a history nerd, and then there's a 5 page thread drift on the Tudors, and I'm just sat here like :my_huh:

I'm the same way. I love the thread drift here, I learn so much from it. I'm just sorry I missed a good chunk of the Tudor drift.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I can't remember which episode it was, but they also did a segment with the producer laughing about and and laughing about the fact that Josie would probably be embarrassed about it later on in life. I think that guy is a sociopath. That's kind of why I'm iffy about the cameras keeping the kids safe. I'm not sure the people working on the show actually give two shits about anything.

Josie's blowout is right up there with Jordyn(?) getting her head stuck in the stair railing and sobbing as everyone laughed, Jason falling through the stage and breaking his jaw and lying there as they all stared at him and Michelle filmed him with her phone, and Jim Bob pulling that hilarious prank where he made Kelly and Gil think that someone had stolen their van and kidnapped a bunch of their children.

Sociopath indeed

I haven’t followed the Duggars for very long, but all that you are describing sounds awful. Those poor kids 

The episode with Josie soiling herself is going to be embarrassing for her now she's older. I remember an early Jon and Kate episode where Hannah soiled herself and Leah said Hannah pooped in her underwears, that clip must be horrible for the now teenage Hannah to be reminded of. Some moments should not be on TV or on social media.

7 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

A little bit late, but a couple of podcast recommendations...

Always up for recommendations on learning more about fundamentalism as well. I read Leah Remini's book on Scientology and it was a real eye opener.

Ooh, combo win for you! A podcast called Oh No Ross and Carrie is hosted by former fundies and sponsored by the Center for Inquiry LA (atheist org promoting secularism). C and R investigate all sorts of fringe religious or "scientific" movements, including some fundy groups but also a lot of woo (Flat Earthers, homeopathy) and the less-mainstream religious groups like Mormons and Scientologists (they did a nine-part series on $ci, and those they've been kicked out of a few events, they still get invites and can't get anyone to tell them outright if they've been declared). They're smart, funny folks who are skeptical but try to be kind and to remember/remind listeners that ultimately we're all humans just trying to live the best lives we can. I think many FJers would really dig their show.

42 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I can't remember which episode it was, but they also did a segment with the producer laughing about it and laughing about the fact that Josie would probably be embarrassed about it later on in life. I think that guy is a sociopath. That's kind of why I'm iffy about the cameras keeping the kids safe. I'm not sure the people working on the show actually give two shits about anything.

I am hardly a Bates apologist but wow, the terror on Kelly Bates' face back then...I felt so bad for her. Imagine you're "friends" with people who pretend to kidnap your children and think it's 'funny' while you need to remain calm and pretend you're not all too mad because they're filming a TV show and you just got a huge house addition sponsored. Way to demonstrate your power over people you look down on, Jim Bob. I wouldn't judge Kelly if she was still secretly despising him for that. 

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

I also just remembered a book recommendation buried in the last JRod thread about the Tudors.  Well, I know what I'm doing when I get home!  

I'm so glad you asked that!! A girl from work has been telling me about an awesome podcast that she listens to. She told me I would love it but I have NO clue where to start? Is it an app? Yeah....I'm almost as clueless as the Duggars I'm afraid!!! 

Not all the way caught up yet, so I'm sorry if this takes us a step backward, but I've always thought the "Move Along" emoji was a steam engine, and while I've never used it myself, sometimes when it gets used and the recipient *has* been beating their dead horse entirely too long, I may say aloud,  "Choo freaking choo already!!" The craziest part is that I've read posts about the dead parrot but somehow never made the stinkin' connection! :)

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

The episode with Josie soiling herself is going to be embarrassing for her now she's older. I remember an early Jon and Kate episode where Hannah soiled herself and Leah said Hannah pooped in her underwears, that clip must be horrible for the now teenage Hannah to be reminded of. Some moments should not be on TV or on social media.

I think it was when Josie was potty training.Then they had Joy with one of her brothers in a talking head.She said they were the "clean-up" committee,but still embarassing for her,later.

The 19KAC episode where Josie is documented having an accident and Jinger is relegated to "clean up duty" is called A Big Idea. This is the same episode where Anna is shown trekking across D.C. when she and Josh were still new to the area just so she could deliver her cheating liar of a husband the lunch he forgot at home. I guess Josh doesn't know how to buy himself a lunch unless Ashley Madison is somewhere in the title. 

16 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

I thought it was an island or hill, as in is this “Your hill/island to die on?”

I thought it was a hill too!

But I thought the leg sticking straight up was a hatchet being swung *into* the hill and it meant “bury the hatchet” LOL

no idea how I got to that now that I can see it!

There's a new video up on TLC.  Gideon looks just like Austin.  Joy says he's a good eater but has his days and nights mixed up.  He sure is cute! 

I was 7 when Jonestown happened.  I remember hearing about it and being afraid of kool-aid.  

My 2nd child was delivered with forceps.  She didn't have any marks on her face, but her head did kind look like a leaning egg.  I was delivered by forceps too, but my parent's didn't own a camera when I was born.  The first picture of me is when I was 6 days old and my head looked like a perfect baby head by then.  We were both occiput posterior so maybe that's why the forceps ding mark our faces.  My oldest was OP also, but she was an easy delivery/

5 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

There's a new video up on TLC.  Gideon looks just like Austin.  Joy says he's a good eater but has his days and nights mixed up.  He sure is cute! 

Here's the vid: http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/tlcme-videos/meet-baby-forsyth/?sf183412801=1

He is a seriously cute baby!!

2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

I'm so glad you asked that!! A girl from work has been telling me about an awesome podcast that she listens to. She told me I would love it but I have NO clue where to start? Is it an app? Yeah....I'm almost as clueless as the Duggars I'm afraid!!! 

Lets see how well I can explain this. Podcasts are series of audio or video files that are posted online. Anyone can create them and post them on the internet. You go to the podcasts' website and download the files you want to listen to. Some are free while others are subscription based. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

One of the podcasts I listen to is Year of Polygamy (http://www.yearofpolygamy.com/). If you're looking for a specific podcast, google the name or you can google a general topic and podcast to see what you find. 

"I thought the "move along" icon was a golf hole, I never saw a parrot there!"

Me too! Okay, late to this one, but my mind is blown that the golf hole is actually a dead parrot....*goes to check when next eye checkup is....*

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived