IGNORED

Joy & Austin 20: Baby Gideon is Here

Jellybean

37 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I wanted to see the Jonestown documentary but I was watching The Alienist and then figured I would try to catch it on demand. I remember when Jonestown happened. I wrote about it in my diary! Its was unbelievable that this could have happened. 

I watched both the Jonestown doc and Waco doc.  The Branch Davidians they interviewed were so disturbing to me.  Like, they still had good things to say about it all.  Even with all the sexual and mental abuse, they saw god.  Big nope on that.  And, some formed a new but similar sect.  Wake TF up people!  I agree, it was soft.  I remember watching that go down.  Horrible.  

Now, the Bob Jones one was brutal to watch. All the real footage.  Awful and so scary.  Bob Jones all hopped up on drugs. The mock suicides.  Ugh, that one sticks with me.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, kachuu said:

Did you watch the 6 part Waco series? Or the special on Jonestown that came on last night? How insanely crazy. It's like a train wreck you can't turn your head from.

The Waco tv series was a bit much. I felt like it was a tv show (duh) just making money on a tragedy. But they also did a POV from the actual survivors (A&E- i think?) which i thought did a better telling of being a realistic version of the event. As i told my husband, they romanticized the tv series and made (IMO) David K look less crazy and more victimized. When i got done watching the tv show, i always thought damn just leave those people alone they weren't hurting anybody. But then i watch, the survivor POV, and you really heard the insanity of what that cult believed.

Jonestown documentary that just aired was super interesting because i had never delved into that before. I had no idea that his inner circle of women were the ones to plan & execute the killing of 300 children (HOLYSHIT) and the rest of the adults at one time. I also thought(sorry this is long-winded) that when they interviewed the third sister of two of Jim Jone's inner mistress girls, she blatantly said if they did have anything to do with killing those children, they deserved to die themselves.

Also, can I just say that this was really well said. It needed more than an upvote. It need a bravo :clap:

SDSU (San Diego State University) has an outstanding collection of essays from survivors and family members, facts, and photos about Jonestown if you’re interested. It can be found at jonestown.sdsu.edu. Sorry, I don’t know how to link. 

It’s probably the most comprehensive source of information available on the subject. I’m a bit obsessed with cults and what makes people choose them. 

Enjoy!

The first event at Jonestown that I remember was the shooting of Congressman Leo Ryan, who had gone to Jonestown to investigate reports of abuses there. The massacre itself happened soon after. It was an utter fiasco and sickening to watch. It is still difficult to believe it happened. 

12 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

It is still difficult to believe it happened. 

...on my 12th birthday. Yay.

19 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

But Pickles does it all the time.  I would think more highly of her, if after discovering she was wrong, she would say..."hey I was wrong."  Like when she ripped Jessa for that video a while back saying they were calling Spud's dancing "skating" because of the evils of dancing. NO they were discussing the name of the song the little Spudmeister was jamming too..."Skating" from Charlie Brown.  it was totally innocent.  But once she realized she was wrong and simply misheard, the post disappeared with not as much as one comment. I would give her more credit, if on occasions she said, "while I still disagree with the XYZ beliefs, I was wrong on this occasion"   So now, to me me it all sounds like BEC

Pickles is a douche bag. Can't stand her/him/it. So cocky. She is NEVER wrong (or so she thinks). Ugh. I'm going to stop now. 

17 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

To paraphrase Michael Scott: They say on your deathbed you never wish you spent more time at Freejinger. But I will, gotta be better than a deathbed.

Love Michael Scott!!! LOL I'm a huge fan!!!!!!!!

That's what she said! Lol

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I always tell PG women to be prepared for any experience, because you just never know what will happen in a labor or delivery.

Amen! Everyone is different! Everyone used to ask my birth plan and it was literally to survive. I had no plans because everything that I "planned" went out the window with that pregnancy so my plan was to wing it and it went as great as 12ish hours of labor could go. My pregnancy was a not great - anything pregnancy related that could happen, happened. Pre-eclampsia, HG (had to be hospitalized), PUPPS - hell, I got hit in the stomach with a baseball at an MLB game while 6 months pregnant! Labor was a dream! :pb_lol: But you can't be 100% ready because you just never know! 

20 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I view the Duggars the same way I view a National Geographic program. When I watch them, there is a voice over in my mind that says things like, “and here we see the Duggar in its natural habitat, they live in colonies and have one to eight babies at a time...” 

I heard this in Adam Savage's voice

I had 2 C-sections, both times (27 and 23 years ago, first was an emergency c-section, second was scheduled. I’ve written about it before on FJ), I had the baby on Friday and was discharged on Sunday.  I actually had a choice because insurance would pay for another night, but I wanted to go HOME. I was pensive when walking with the baby but did not have to hold them differently while sitting.  I was also able to sit any which way I wanted.  I was much younger then and I guess much more agile and a high pain tolerance, now I can hardly get off of the floor on my own.

Gideon is a cute baby though. I agree with other posters that his head is a very nice shape for a vaginal delivery. Who know though, in either case I hope Joy is recovering well and baby Gideon is healthy. 

10 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Pickles is a douche bag. Can't stand her/him/it. So cocky. She is NEVER wrong (or so she thinks). Ugh. I'm going to stop now. 

Totally agree.  There's a thread for that even!

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

@nst If you're sick of seeing me on FJ, just come out and say it! :lol:

never :D

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

We're not going to agree on everything, but I've loved the outpouring of support for people going through hell. Also love sharing the joy of marriages, births,etc. I tripped on my shoelace on Saturday, and face planted on a concrete path. Amazing black eye. Virtual hugs welcome.

sending you a virtual massage coupon because I got one on saturday :D

let's discuss pms then - currently I am one who needs to drink everything before my period starts. 

ah i feel better for sharing 

Also, as someone who held a dissenting opinion literally four posts ago, I’d recommend anyone holding a grudge to get over it. This helps in real and internet life. You miss a lot of good ideas, genuinely constructive criticism and belly laughs if you’re holding onto the fact that people didn’t glob praise onto one of your posts.

If you’re gonna be mad that a few people here didn’t like what you had to say...you’re gonna be mad

0329FA23-F91B-4BBF-9E76-6DBD73D7F623.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

The first event at Jonestown that I remember was the shooting of Congressman Leo Ryan, who had gone to Jonestown to investigate reports of abuses there. The massacre itself happened soon after. It was an utter fiasco and sickening to watch. It is still difficult to believe it happened. 

And how some of the cult members were slipping him and his staff notes like " help us" .  It's utterly insane.  Sickening.  I just can't understand it.  I keep saying Bob Jones, that was Jim Jones.  Oops.  Fundies. *shakes head*  

7 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

And how some of the cult members were slipping him and his staff notes like " help us" .  It's utterly insane.  Sickening.  I just can't understand it.  I keep saying Bob Jones, that was Jim Jones.  Oops.  Fundies. *shakes head*  

Let’s just call him JimBob Jones. Because he was an asshole.  Easy to remember.

39 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Totally agree.  There's a thread for that even!

Really???? I need to go find it! Thanks!

Pickles was calling out people for suggesting that a Duggar might be gay. She allowed it before. She also said she would never say TFDW. Of course, she doesn't read here because she's so much better than FJers. :puke-front:

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Pickles was calling out people for suggesting that a Duggar might be gay. She allowed it before. She also said she would never say TFDW. Of course, she doesn't read here because she's so much better than FJers. :puke-front:

Only cause she got ran off quick!  "Josie in danger!!!11!1!"  baby girl was eating with a plastic fork.....sound the alarms!  Didn't she sock puppet even?  Pickles reads here more than anywhere, I'd bet.  But, it's ok, thanks to FB, she is a star!  Bwahahaha.  What a tool.

19 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Thanks. It’s my fault. (Not sarcasm)

I appreciate that @Fascinated, but I insist it was my fault!  A few other posters may have been confused by your post but I went ahead and jumped down your throat, like, on the immediate and I wanted to apologize again for that.  All you did was like my "pome" (twice), and I'd like to properly thank you for that also!....Thank you!) and make a joke and I told you to eff off! And honestly, your post was hilarious and full of clues as to what your tone was...and I am familiar enough with you and your posts to have known better! I understand and use sarcasm I swear to Rufus but obviously I guess I do need a sign pointing it out sometimes. I rectified my blunder as fast as I could, but left my crossed out post up so others could see what happened and as a reminder to myself to not go off like that in a moment . Jeez. FJ is the only online board I am on and I don't really post on or use social media...I don't think I realized how defensive I really was and I had a burst of crazy that landed here and on a poster who is an ally! Rufus help me.:pb_redface:

Anyway, thanks guys and now back to the Waco and Jonestown talk! I really want to see the Waco miniseries but can't get it! But I can get at the documentaries so I should get on that..:pb_smile:

That is a lovely post, @CaricatureQualities, and I thank you for it. We have moved on, of course, and I don’t want to keep this going or we will both start seeing a bunch of dead parrots. But, truly, the onus is on me. I feel like saying ‘sarcasm’ at the end kind of detracts from the sarcasm, so I tend to just let it stand and hope people ‘get it’. That’s on me. Please don’t apologize any more. Are you Canadian?  Because this ‘it’s my fault’ ‘no, it’s my fault’ sounds very familiar. It’s all good and you did nothing wrong.  :my_heart:

Yep I am Canadian and not getting the last apology in kills me! :pb_lol: But , I won't, it's over. No dead parrots here!

Sarcasm away! I will figure it out. I promise!

1 hour ago, LiLSeaWitch said:

Gideon is a cute baby though. I agree with other posters that his head is a very nice shape for a vaginal delivery. Who know though, in either case I hope Joy is recovering well and baby Gideon is healthy. 

I wonder if the photo might have been taken a day or two after a vaginal delivery, which would have given his head a chance to unsquish (new word) itself.

I’ve been trying hard to keep a lower profile lately, mostly by avoiding being involved in arguments and heated debates. This recent conversation made me reflect though and I do want to thank the community here - not just for educating me about these families and their messed up beliefs, but for supporting me throughout the last few years.

When I was stressed about wedding planning, you guys were here to give me a laugh. When I miscarried my first pregnancy a few months later, so many of you offered your love and sympathies - some of you even shared stories of your own losses to help me feel a little less alone. When I was terrified that I’d lose my second pregnancy, you guys were there to calm me down. When I gave birth prematurely to my daughter, you guys were beyond excited she was healthy and safe. When I suffered panic attacks after her birth, you offered genuine support and advice. When my daughter hits her milestones you celebrate as much as I do and when she doesn’t you’re there to reassure me that’s normal for a preemie. You’ve offered me adult conversation when I spend the vast majority of my time with my toddler and my dog. You’ve made me laugh when I need it most and you’ve forced me to really think about the views and opinions I hold.

I really can’t tell you all how much that has meant to me. I’ve absolutely had my differences with some of you and I’ve been in the wrong many times, but I really do appreciate the role you’ve all played in my life. And now I’m done being sappy, so please continue with your lives (if you have them, which you clearly don’t because you’re reading this right now. :pb_lol:)

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

And now I’m done being sappy, so please continue with your lives (if you have them, which you clearly don’t because you’re reading this right now. :pb_lol:)

Not I. I'm busy writing down all the things about FJ that I'm going to regret on my deathbed...

But wait. I can't even name one regret. 

Yall are awesome and have been most welcoming of me, even when I have a differing opinion. :) I have learned SO.MUCH.STUFF. here, and am thankful for the sense of community that keeps everyone going. 

2 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Jonestown is one of the first big news memories I have... I remember reading the long newspaper stories about it (I think I was 8 at the time).  I now live in Leo Ryan's district (didn't live here when he was killed).  There's a lovely park nearby named for him.  What channel was the recent documentary on?  I missed it and want to see if they show it again.  I have the Waco series on DVR but haven't watched it yet.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived