IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JillyO said:

As I wrote pretty clearly in my last post, you put words in my mouth by saying that I was "advocating minorities get angry" and "dictating how upset [they're] allowed to be."

But you are clearly trying to misconstrue everything I say, so I will leave it at that. I'm sure the majority of posters are sick of this discussion anyway. I'd invite you to continue the discussion elsewhere, but I don't particularly appreciate someone deliberately trying to twist everything I say to fit with some idea of me that they have in their head. Have a great day.

That’s a ridiculous cop out. I’ve quoted you once and now I’m misconstruing everything you say? You don’t know me so you have nothing other than my words to judge, however, I meant exactly what I said, nothing more or less. I then went back to clarify what was explicitly directed toward you and what wasn’t. Part of what wasn’t, and not to belabor the point, was dictating how upset minorities were  allowed to be. As I have no idea of your background and this is now the second time in the history of the world I’ve interacted with you, I thought it was obvious that it was not personal.

As far as thread drift....well....it’s a part of the culture. So attempting to silence me by saying people want to discuss Gideon is cute....but I’m gonna defer to a Mod on that.

3 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

Are we talking about the DuBois of the “Talented Tenth” who advocated classical education (which necessitates a bit of appropriation and assimilation on its own)?

Yes, although I don’t know if he still believed in that towards the end of his life when he had gone full on pan-Africanist/revolutionary communist. I think at heart, Dubois always remained a secular black Puritan, no matter how radical his politics became. Dubois was a German trained sociologist with a degree from Harvard, and there really wasn’t any place for such a black man in the early twentieth century. Whereas Washington was willing to debase himself to get the resources he needed to make Tuskegee the richest educational institution, black or white, in the South, Dubois was smarter than most whites and wasn’t going to pretend that he wasn’t.

Ooh boy that is one big baby. Third photo is like "I have how many relatives??", And the last one he looks very cool, but I definitely see Austin in that photo.

Name wise it personally isn't to my taste, but I can understand why they chose it and I think it's fine. At least he doesn't have a relative with a similar sounding name! 

Just now, viii said:

Careful - don't get that rumour mill going! 

Thank you, he looks like a newborn, a VERY BIG NEWBORN. My friend had a 10lbs 6oz baby boy last year and he looked similar. He still has that very new look about it, just very big.  My daughter looked similar, very big but very new, she was only 9lbs 3oz.

1 minute ago, eveandadam said:

You all know that she could have her second child by the end of the year, right?!

Yup. If they follow the 40 day rule, technically she could get pregnant again as early as the beginning of April and give birth by the end of December. For her sake, I really hope that doesn't happen.

53 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Frankly, that has been the Democratic party's modus operandi for way too long, and it has just made right-wing Republicans stronger and stronger. It's clearly not working. So I am done being nice to people who want to destroy everything I believe in. YMMV.

Democrats basically stand for nothing, are Republicans in everything but name and run roughshot over progressives on everything from the local to the national scale. Healthcare can't even be passed in California even though their are no Republicans in the way. The chair of the DNC (Eric Bauman) is a big pharma lobbyist. But keep believing everything comes down to Rs and Ds. Even Obama said himself that he is a "moderate republican". The Ds have moved right and the Rs have moved off the deep end. 

Can I get the first BEC comment?  I'm expecting Joy to say that "I was the first one of my sisters to have a 10 lb baby!!"

I'm sorry--too soon?

Just now, Satan'sFortress said:

Can I get the first BEC comment?  I'm expecting Joy to say that "I was the first one of my sisters to have a 10 lb baby!!"

I'm sorry--too soon?

:pb_lol: I don't think that's even BEC. The Duggars are competitive, and they themselves have acknowledged it! They're always talking about who was the first to do X, or who had the most Y, or whatever. I could totally see her saying this! I don't even find it that weird - I think having that many siblings just naturally lends itself to comparison. It would drive me crazy, personally ("Wow, @singsingsing, you had the longest baby but your sister Jane had the heaviest baby, and your sister Fiona had the first set of twins, and your sister Cheryl - " YES, THANK YOU, MABEL. SHUT UP NOW). But I get why they do it.

20 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Wow! Why do the Duggar daughters have SUCH huge babies. I don't even know one woman personally who has had such heavy babies. When my aunt had my cousin he weighed 8.8 pounds which was incredible at the time (1983). nobody could believe it. I weighed 5.4 pounds at birth and was considered almost full-term, missed that status by an ounce or two.

What do they put in the water over there in NWA?

Just wanted to throw that birth chart out there. The Duggar daughters are always above the 90% mark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_weight

My theory is that they have a diet high in carbohydrates (Tater Tot casserole and the like) that is probably also low in fresh fruits, vegetables  and lean protein, thus big babies.   

Poor Joy does look exhausted and pale but happy.   

I'm also guessing that she may have had a c-section due to the size of that child.  Otherwise, she has one sore hoo-ha. 

The stories is this thread are truly heartbreaking. I know it’s not worth much, but all of you who have gone through terrible healthcare experiences have my sympathy. It’s terrible that people are treated like this.

I was very ill as a child. Spent 6 weeks in hospital and several years being monitored afterwards. All it ever cost my parents was hospital parking. When I was pregnant with my boys I had an ultrasound/ appointment with my high risk OB every two weeks- a few times, when there were concerns- I went weekly. Again, the only thing we ever paid for was parking. When I gave birth via planned csection and spent 5 days in hospital (with special care stays of 6 hours for baby a and overnight for baby b), we paid parking and $120 because we opted for a private room. Had we been required to pay for any combination of this out of pocket, we would never have been able to and my health and that of my boys would have suffered. Our Canadian healthcare system is far from perfect, but I recognize how lucky I truly made to live here.

I think Joy looks great in the photo, especially considering that she just had a 10+lbs baby. It never ceases to amaze me how put together these girls look so soon after giving birth (see Priscilla Waller). I was certainly not photo ready hours after giving birth. Not the biggest fan of the name, but he’s not my kid so it’s not any of my concern. Hopefully she had a safe birth and I hope that she and Austin are in love with their new addition.

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Thank you, he looks like a newborn, a VERY BIG NEWBORN. My friend had a 10lbs 6oz baby boy last year and he looked similar. He still has that very new look about it, just very big.  My daughter looked similar, very big but very new, she was only 9lbs 3oz.

Yep! Plus if you compare him to the newborn photos of his cousins, he doesn't look significantly bigger than most of them.

These women seem to have gigantic babies, so it's going to be a shock if Jinger delivers anything under 9 pounds! (And poor Kendra, hopefully she's not got giant baby genes too!)

Oh my goodness. I get enough political debates everywhere else on the internet. I get that sometimes politics will come into these threads, but some of these comments are just pure mean. I really wanna read about this new baby and not have my blood boil due to ignorance. I go to facebook for that. 

Maybe it's the long day at work today, but Joy, in the pic of her holding Gideon, looks like her "old" tomboy self.  

I'm just glad that the baby and mom are happy and healthy.

Showing my age here, as well as my nerd flag; when I think of Gideon I think of the Character from Tex Murphy: Overseer.

1 minute ago, tabitha2 said:

Do we have a run up on Grandduggar weights    for comparison? I don’t feel like Anna’s babies were that large

I believe Anna's first 4 were in the 8 pound range, and Mason was 9 found.

Both Jessas were 9 pound range, but Henry being bigger.

Israel was over 9 as well, but I'm can't remember if Sam's was ever announced.

Lucky Anna. These girls who have 9 and 10 lb 1st and 2ndbbabies won’t be able to do it naturally at home forever... I pray they use medical advice and prenatal care.i just watched a video with Joy and Austin... are they very uncomfortable for the camera? They sound... delayed. I don’t want to sound horrible. They sound halted, slow, not sure what to say or how to say it. Poor babies being adults with babies. I don’t know austin’s Education but I feel like joy’s age and ‘home based’ education is showing here... this birth doesn’t make me happy... :(

Personal opinion coming full speed ahead: Jill stop, just stop. You are not a 'Tia' and you can't just appropriate the Spanish culture because you lived in Central America for a few months. 

He is a big baby but not so big that it is impossible that she could have given birth vaginally. It all depends of the size of her pelvis and the size of the baby's head and shoulders. A friend of mine had a 5.2 kilo baby vaginally. Not her first, her second but she said it was a relatively easy labor and he just kind of squashed together nicely since he had an average sized head and shoulders and all that fat is soft. Her first was roughly the size of little Gideon so maybe that is what Joy might have next time. My friend did not have gestational diabetes either time but her husband is huge and was over 5 kilos too. She was monitored with the second one but the doctors only believed he was slightly over 4.5 kilos. She had third kid by induction at 38 weeks who was over 4 kilos too. 

I've said here before, but my second baby was a feather short of 9 lbs.  Miraculously, it was a very easy vaginal delivery & he had a round head.  I am only 5'1 and was skinny then.  Don't know how all of that works because it seems like it should have hurt a lot!  (My lady parts did experience some soreness afterwards---that I can't deny!)

Baby Gideon looks pretty cute.  My big newborn looked like he was 3 months old at birth!  I have to say, I felt less nervous with him--maybe because he was my 2nd, but also he seemed less fragile, more hardy than my 7 lb 10 oz baby. 

I thought she'd name the baby Austin Jr. so I'm going to give myself half a pat on the back for getting the middle name right. :pb_lol:

Gideon is a decent name, though all I think of is Mr. Robot now when I hear it.

I wonder if she started trying to have a homebirth (the birthing pool comment) then something went wrong and she transferred to the hospital? I really hope Jill wasn't involved. I think if she had been she would've already posted a photo of herself in scrubs with the baby.

10 lbs though...my vagina hurts thinking about that. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived