IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I was thinking about Americans moving to Canada, and culture shock issues/differences between the two countries, and I started randomly googling to see what people I don't know had to say on the issue... and I found a bunch of people saying that 'shit disturber' is a Canadian term not used in the U.S. Is this true?!

I live just 2 hours south of the BC border, and I have never heard that term. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I was thinking about Americans moving to Canada, and culture shock issues/differences between the two countries, and I started randomly googling to see what people I don't know had to say on the issue... and I found a bunch of people saying that 'shit disturber' is a Canadian term not used in the U.S. Is this true?!

I'm a little mind blown that 'shit disturber' isn't a thing everyone says, lol.

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I live just 2 hours south of the BC border, and I have never heard that term. 

Yeah, I live in that area (northwest WA) and never heard that either.

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

Gideon is a trench coat wearing Angel from the best Disney Canadian Christmas movie ever made!!! He spends the movie playing the harmonica in trees watching small children. 

IMG_1248.JPG

I remember this one!  Just couldn't remember the name of it.  Harry Dean Stanton plays Gideon, and I think Mary Steenburgen plays the mother--

Thanks guys, my mind is blown. Until tonight I thought shit disturber was universal! :pb_lol:

i'm harry potter trash and my first thought was gideon prewett, molly weasley's brother. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  cute bby

I just find it funny that his cousin is Harper Ballinger, which means that Terry Forsyth's grandkids share their names with Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka's twins. 

I didn't win any bets, but I was in the ballpark with old-school Biblical!

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

A woman and her family like I mentioned, are moving to NS and if you read online.....I think I can’t remember which thing i read, but NS is open to receiving people. But I guess you would have to move there and possibly get dual status. They move the process along. 

Maybe this is not what you meant. But they are open to people moving there. I think they need good people. And the pictures are stunning!!

All of the Atlantic provinces are open to people moving there, however you still have to immigrate to Canada following the national laws and regulations as it is a part of Canada and immigration is federally regulated.  I’ve been told by a number of immigrants it’s easier to be accepted for residency in the US than Canada.  It took me three years to get my residency for the US, and I am married to an American.  

41 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Bagged Milk baffles them.  Also, shit disturber was a common term back home in Atlantic Canada. 

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Thanks guys, my mind is blown. Until tonight I thought shit disturber was universal! :pb_lol:

Don't leave us hanging. What does it mean? Is it the same thing as a shit stirrer? It's like you Canadians don't even speak English! :pb_lol:

I live in Saskatchewan and shit disturber is one of the most common phrases here. 

However, I’ve never seen bagged milk, so go figure. 

5 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Don't leave us hanging. What does it mean? Is it the same thing as a shit stirrer? It's like you Canadians don't even speak English! :pb_lol:

Lol! Basically yeah, a shit disturber is someone who stirs shit up, causes a ruckus, purposely inflames or causes chaos or disruption. It can vary a lot in severity. 

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

You may not see it until faced with a healthcare crisis, you won't be speaking to the people I now speak to.

We have a healthcare crisis here on a daily basis. A grand a month in insulin and 4 grand a month for enzymes so my husband can digest his food (he had his pancreas, gall bladder, part of his small intestine and stomach, appendix, a few lymph nodes and omentum removed). That's not counting the prescription vitamins, statins, and insulin pump supplies. By the time it's all said and done, we're talking 10 grand PER MONTH...thank God he's a Veteran and it all costs us less than 100 bucks a month. 

12 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

We have a healthcare crisis here on a daily basis. A grand a month in insulin and 4 grand a month for enzymes so my husband can digest his food (he had his pancreas, gall bladder, part of his small intestine and stomach, appendix, a few lymph nodes and omentum removed). That's not counting the prescription vitamins, statins, and insulin pump supplies. By the time it's all said and done, we're talking 10 grand PER MONTH...thank God he's a Veteran and it all costs us less than 100 bucks a month. 

Thank goodness for the VA!  

Just for clarification, I didn't mean You you.  General "you", those who don't know.  I know you do and I hate it, I'd much rather you and me feeling secure and well cared for.  

5 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Thank goodness for the VA!  

Just for clarification, I didn't mean You you.  General "you", those who don't know.  I know you do and I hate it, I'd much rather you and me feeling secure and well cared for.  

I tend to get REAL defensive...Something about the surgeon coming out to tell me that if we had waited another few months for surgery, he'd have been too torn up inside for it to be successful. They found cells that were starting to change in the biopsies...that's why they took some of the lymph nodes. Fortunately, thank GOD, the lymph nodes were clean and he is just fine...but it's a reality check when you see a bill for 490K...these people who are so smug...Let's see them pay off a 100K bill if they have ordinary 80/20 insurance. 

I'm going to see myself out now...

Cute baby. Looks like baby. Let's hope he stays an only child till at least 2020.

For me Gideon is and always will be Elder Gideon from Charmed. He was misguided angel who did evil things for "Greater Good", so, I guess, the name fits well with fundamentalism.   
And now I want to re-watch Charmed. :pb_lol:

Some people are just so smug and a bunch of Lori A. types who lack compassion. It’s true that we are all only one emergency or health crisis away from our lives being in shambles unless we have old family money. Even “new money types” have to worry if they’re blowing all their money away, taking out gigantic mortgages, and disaster strikes. I’ve seen them get screwed.

If my partner got injured/sick and couldn’t work anymore, we would be screwed. If he got let go, we’d also be totally fucked. 

It made me sick when Santorum said health care is a privilege and not a right when his own daughter has special needs and most certainly has a right to that healthcare! 

Also @feministxtian has been through hell and back and is a warrior. She has a right to tell it like it is when someone’s being a complete asshole. I can’t believe the insensitivity and smug I’ve seen in some comments after many have shared tragic stories.

7 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I also think of the Preston and Child Gideon Crew books, which are good, but I like their Pendergast books better.

Yes! Someone else who likes the Pendergast novels!

Gideon looks pretty cute. I guessed that he would be over 10lbs, though I think I guessed higher than 10lbs 3oz.

Joe and Kendra's baby will make it six boys in a row. Now I'm really curious what Jinger will have.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Lol! Basically yeah, a shit disturber is someone who stirs shit up, causes a ruckus, purposely inflames or causes chaos or disruption. It can vary a lot in severity. 

Another Canadian here who loves this expression. For me it often has real positive connotations, like I might have great respect for a shit disturber because they are stirring up shit that needs to be stirred. They are disrupting things that need to be disrupted. They are making noise to affect change. Fellow Canadians - would you agree?

45 minutes ago, Blue jay said:

Another Canadian here who loves this expression. For me it often has real positive connotations, like I might have great respect for a shit disturber because they are stirring up shit that needs to be stirred. They are disrupting things that need to be disrupted. They are making noise to affect change. Fellow Canadians - would you agree?

Very much agree. 

Josie's care was covered, for the most part, by the government as she was an extremely preterm and fragile infant- costs associated with caring for that type of infant would bankrupt just about all Americans.
And Sam needed NICU care as indicated by the IV and Face tape (used for securing Oxygen)...that care adds up fast.
JB is comfortable, but how long can he support 7or 8 households? In particular, how long can he support those households in the manner in which they have become accustomed: growing families, no jobs, no education, Starbucks, Tacos4Life, International travel, iPhones, computers, numerous cars , homes, planes... 
IMO, it's not sustainable on JB alone.
Jessa and Ben reside in their savings. The house isn't worth much - the land is. The property's north boundary is the off ramp from interstate 49/ 540( I still call it the hwy 71 bypass) When the offer they can't refuse comes their way, the house will be bulldozed and either apartments or a hotel/ truck stop/fast food joint will replace it.

Derek and Jill were fools to give up "the pretty house" Now they live un an apartment while Derek plays missionary student. The sale of that property would have netted enough money so Derek wouldn't have to beg for money on the internet.

I think Jeremy us his own man. He will do his best to support Jinger and children with no help from Jim Bob.

Austin is his own man as well. He makes money flipping houses. I don't think he will have a problem supporting Joy and the babies.

Joseph and Josiah? What do they do exactly? How will they support their families?..mom and pop car lots are over reoresented in Springdale and Tontitown. I don't understand how any money is made selling old high mileage vehicles.

48 minutes ago, SamuraiKatz said:

I think Jeremy us his own man. He will do his best to support Jinger and children with no help from Jim Bob.

Austin is his own man as well. He makes money flipping houses. I don't think he will have a problem supporting Joy and the babies.

Jeremy is a washed up 2nd rate soccer player working as a pastor? In a small church And speaker on occasion. We’ll see when he has six kids. I think they will live very frugally indeed with the show money getting them by mostly. 

Austin still works heavily with and promotes his Family’s Christian retreat IIRC and most likely earns decently from that. The show money and his flipping  job should keep them comfortable if not living extravagant. 

So far none of the daughters have married men who are financially able to completely walk away from their respective families financial support.

8 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Why not both in one?

"How about that Momma--our tenth grandchild and he was 10 pounds!"

Cue giggle from Michelle.

I read that as "cute giggle from Michelle" and wondered about your headspace a little bit. :pb_lol:

So glad he's here and that mom and baby are doing well. Now I can stop checking their social media outlets all day :my_biggrin:

10 pounds, I can't even imagine what that must be like. It hasn't been confirmed anywhere whether he was a natural delivery or C-section, though, has it? I guess we will find out next year, during the next season :pb_rollseyes:

As I expected, they waited a bit to announce. Joy looks tired and I have to say I prefer their announcement picture to others which are just too well put together. Having a baby is hard work, adapting to having a baby in the house must be equally exhausting.  

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived