IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you watch the video on the website, Joy mentions that the birth pool is up and just needs to be filled.

10 pound baby. Naturally. :my_sad:

I think I need a sedative just hearing about it. As a pregnant woman I am drawn to other women's birth stories and yet terrified!

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That is such a big baby, he was 1 pound heavier and 2 inches longer than my biggest baby, and I'm a good 5 inches taller than Joy I can't imagine that short of a woman having that big of a baby, I'm so glad they seemed to get a brain and at least get to a birthing center if not a hospital to have him. I'm guessing she delivered naturally since she's back home.

How do we know she went to a birthing center?   I can only hope she had some help beyond JIll, Jessa, and a camera crew but I have little faith in them getting actual medical treatment!

21 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

@nausicaa agree with everything you said. And while I seem to have mostly opposite political sensibilities what @tabitha2described IS in fact hypocrisy. I understand trying to explain the reasoning behind it, but it’s hypocrisy nonetheless.

Thank you. I don’t believe I need to be told I am dense, a troll, a hypocrite or an asshole (which anyone with a brain around here knows is BS anyway)for stating what exactly went on.  No one walked the walk. No one . One can make up all sorts of excuses but it is what it is. 

42 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Cute baby.  Not a big fan of the name... makes me think of bibles in hotel rooms.  But better than Spurgeon or something with a super-kreativ spelling.

Though now that you mention it, I can totally imagine the hotel room bible relation . . . but honestly, my first thought on hearing Gideon, was the season six baddie, Elder Gideon from Charmed :GPn0zNK:

Glad everyone is healthy - now let's see if having the baby changes anything for her in regards to parenting style *fingers crossed*

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

She looks super young, and also her makeup looks like it either doesn't match or oxidized badly, but I'm not going to blame a mom of a newborn no matter what she looks like. 

I kind of thought the same thing. Like I looked at the pic and thought "is she jaundiced?" (not in a critical way - but a worried way) but I'm with you - she just gave birth to a 10 lb newborn - she can look however she damn well pleases, someone get that Momma a nap and a beverage of her choice!!

Wow, huge baby. He looks...like a baby. I like the onesie even if it's super gendered; I would give it to a baby regardless of sex :pb_biggrin: No credit to them personally of course, they follow trends the same as most people. Name isn't horrible. Joy looks exhausted, but that's pretty unsurprising, no snark there. I'm thinking we'll hear more about the birth story as time goes on.

I lean toward hoping they have boys at the beginning, because aunt-moms can't do everything and if there are no sister-moms, then there will still be something of a limited labor supply (yikes) and the parents might actually do something and not have time for sweet fellowship. Or the boys will have to do housework. Beyond that I still don't have much hope for what these boys will be learning from their parents...

@gameofunbeknowns I would dispute Hitchens’ claim that one should seek out arguments just for arguments’ sake. It’s very easy to take that approach when you’re a privileged Oxbridge graduate who gets oohs and has just for wharfing out an opinion (the “you” being referenced is Hitchens; I have no idea about your educational or social-economic background). But when your humanity or your right to exist is considered up for debate, you tend not to have much patience for the “let’s just debate this issue in a dispassionate manner” thing. I can understand why @feministxtian acted the way she did. To have gone through all that she did and essentially be told that she should have just skipped that latte at Starbucks to save up for healthcare must be a slap in the face. Our elected officials are more interested in the insurance companies making a profit than the health of the populace, and the rank and file conservative-libertarians seem to take a perverse delight in taking away other people’s healthcare, especially if those people are black and brown. This is what we should be offended about — that the richest country on the planet spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined (including China and Russia) but thinks dental care, mental health, and paid maternal leave are luxuries — not whether some rando on the Internet was being slightly impolite.

The idea that good ideas will naturally win out in a cool, disinterested debate is wrong; all you have to do is look at the current occupant of the White House. There is an element of irrationality to the human experience, and more often than not, this is what wins out in politics, not being the supposed adult in the room. Even old Hitch himself was prone to being quite irrational when it came to issues surrounding Islam and the Middle East. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Harper and Gideon, I forgot about him, they are all so cute. The kids and the dads.

They are the cutest family, I love their family Halloween costumes every year. 

6 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

Congrats on a healthy non emergency birth. When I hear Gideon I think 7 brides for 7 brothers, but that may just be me!

Just putting it out there that I don't think we know how the birth actually went. It seems they were planning for a home birth, but it looks like it may have taken place at a hospital or birthing centre. Please anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

I think out of her Jessa and Jill she has picked the best name for her first child, not a name I would ever use but it isn't horrible. Congratulations Joy and Austin.

Another vote for really liking the name Gideon Martyn. Fits their fundie outlook and family, but is also cute and not common but not crazy (which are the names I like). 

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9510/how-to-have-a-boy-or-girl-a-doula-reveals-her-secrets.html

I've seen stuff like this on the internet before - "scientific" ways to influence sex of a baby. For those who don't want to read the whole thing,

Boy: potassium-rich and salty foods, some caffeine, sexy times 1-2 days before ovulation and in a position to get the sperm to the egg quickly, like from behind (SORRY for the NSFW it's science apparently?)

Girl: calcium- and magnesium-rich foods, no caffeine, sexy times 3-4 days before ovulation and a more missionary or shallow position

Except another line of thinking says conception more days before ovulation is better suited to getting boys because the body temperature is lower. So clearly it's not very full-proof. I think I'll look into some of the proof during work breaks, since I have access to the database of scientific articles! But the ovulation timing and food ones. Not the positions! Ha!

Some answers: Work from the 1960s suggested the Y-carrying sperm swam faster but died earlier than X-carrying sperm, so getting the sperm more quickly to the egg would increase chances of having a boy, and increasing travel time made it more likely for a girl. The diet advice is based on creating a more acidic or basic reproductive tract. Y-carrying sperm thought to be more fragile, need more alkaline environment and eating potassium-rich and salty foods creates this, and opposite for X-carrying sperm. BUT recent studies with better equipment have found that there are not two distinct populations of sperm like previously thought. So people may have fun trying these but unlike the Sims, there's no real way to influence sex! (unless through IVF of course)

Hossain AM, Barik S, Kulkarni PM. Lack of significant morphological differences between human X and Y spermatozoa and their precursor cells (spermatids) exposed to different prehybridization treatments. J Androl 2001; 22: 119-23.  [PubMed]

Penfold LM, Holt C, Holt WV, Welch DG, Cran DG, Johnson LA. Comparative motility of X and Y chromosome-bearing bovine sperm separated on the basis of DNA content by flow sorting. Mol Reprod Dev 1998;50: 323-7.  [PubMed]

5 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

@gameofunbeknowns I would dispute Hitchens’ claim that one should seek out arguments just for arguments’ sake. It’s very easy to take that approach when you’re a privileged Oxbridge graduate who gets oohs and has just for wharfing out an opinion (the “you” being referenced is Hitchens; I have no idea about your educational or social-economic background). But when your humanity or your right to exist is considered up for debate, you tend not to have much patience for the “let’s just debate this issue in a dispassionate manner” thing. I can understand why @feministxtian acted the way she did. To have gone through all that she did and essentially be told that she should have just skipped that latte at Starbucks to save up for healthcare must be a slap in the face. Our elected officials are more interested in the insurance companies making a profit than the health of the populace, and the rank and file conservative-libertarians seem to take a perverse delight in taking away other people’s healthcare, especially if those people are black and brown. This is what we should be offended about — that the richest country on the planet spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined (including China and Russia) but thinks dental care, mental health, and paid maternal leave are luxuries — not whether some rando on the Internet was being slightly impolite.

The idea that good ideas will naturally win out in a cool, disinterested debate is wrong; all you have to do is look at the current occupant of the White House. There is an element of irrationality to the human experience, and more often than not, this is what wins out in politics, not being the supposed adult in the room. Even old Hitch himself was prone to being quite irrational when it came to issues surrounding Islam and the Middle East. 

I just want to clarify that with regards to hypocrisy im speaking only about what @tabitha2 said regarding celebrities. 

As a person who grew up non white and female in America, allowing the irrational to win over when engaged in debate was never an option for me. I had to operate in a rather dispassionate manner for my considerations to be heard growing up and I continue to have to do so. 

Irrationality is a given, I guess the point I’m making is that it seems to only be tolerated coming from one side. I prefer to call out irrationality whether it comes from a conservative or a liberal. And I ESPECIALLY believe in calling out irrationality when I suspect it of myself, which is more what I meant when I spoke of argument for argument sake.

Gideon?? It just makes me think of our ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne (his birth name was Gideon, he never liked it and has been known as George since he was 13). 

I don’t like the name, but it’s their choice. Utterly unsurprised at the middle name Martyn.

ouch, more than 4 kg?? wow the duggars really have big babies

Congrats on joy and Austin, she looks really tired and young in the photo ( as normal after a labor)

curios to know more about the birth story, still have to think about the name not sure if i liked it remembers me of an old english librarian..

Where are people seeing the pic of him in a hospital crib? I've only seen the one of the two of them holding him in the kitchen. 

I love his name! So much better than what I expected. I’m glad its a boy, I can imagine boys being easier for Joy to relate to and as a first time mum she’ll have enough on her plate. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived