IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

44 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Huh? I don't understand why you're being so contentious. I don't even disagree with anything you have said, so I literally have no clue what your problem is with me. I never said I believe "everything comes down to Rs and Ds," and I certainly don't think that. I am 100% with you that Democrats have moved right and Republicans have basically fallen off the deep end. Unfortunately, the US is stuck with a two-party system, so for better or worse, liberals don't really have much of a choice but to try to move the Democratic Party back to the left. Again, I am somewhat confused as to you contentious tone.

I apologize if I misunderstood you. It wasn't clear to me at all (in either of your two posts) that you were not talking about me when you said "Also I just have to say I sure hope the people advocating minorities get angry are actual minorities (@Cleopatra7 not talking to you this has been discussed) because oh dear god there’s nothing more we love than the oppressors dictating how upset we’re allowed to be." I still do not understand at whom it was directed if not at me, but if you say it wasn't, then I'll believe you.

Regarding your other point, and why I still think you were miscontruing what I wrote: I merely said that I (personal pronoun) am sick of being nice when right-wing Republicans get their horrible policies enacted and they don't give a damn about being nice. I do think the Democratic party has been too focused on playing nice with Republicans in the past years, and I believe that to be a significant contributing factor for why Democrats have shifted so far to the right themselves. However, I did not claim that there is no merit to respectability politics, and you have claimed several times that I did (and called me "disingenuous at best and condescending AF at worst" because of it). Again, I merely said that I, personally, was done playing nice. I don't know why that seems to bother you so much, since I literally did not tell anyone else what to do. I believe that there are many ways to contribute to positive social change, and that everyone should follow their heart in what way they think they can best contribute.  I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Regarding your last comment, and again I am not sure if that is directed at me or not, but in case it is: I certainly didn't try to silence you, I merely said that I (again, personal pronoun) am done discussing this matter. Feel free to keep discussing with literally any other poster who wants to engage. In case it wasn't directed at me, I'm sorry for misunderstanding gain, but I do find it very hard to determine when you are and aren't speaking directly to me in your posts.

And last but not least, I realize that I just contradicted my last post by posting again, but I didn't want to let it stand as it was because I do think there were some honest misunderstandings on both sides (as well as issues that we simply disagree on, of course). Now I'm really done. :)

Reading it back I understand how you could have taken offense. It’s possible I wasn’t clear enough. And true, I did call it disingenuous and possibly irresponsible (to which you responded with a prompt FU lol) and maybe that wasn’t as clear as it could’ve been either. 

Ill use an analogy. As an atheist, when Theists say...”You’re free to believe what you believe and what does it matter when you don’t believe in hell anyway” (so essentially, “shut up)” as a response to critics, my immediate response is usually: “Well...I’m certainly free to reject religion but the price I’ll pay is burning in hell for all eternity”...at least according to them. To me that’s not a choice. It certainly doesn’t strike me as pleasant and non hostile. And that’s the way your post struck me. Like...”I’m gonna give lip service to respectability politics but at the end of the day it doesn’t effect change and FU if you disagree.”

That’s the tone in which I read it but I’ve not had enough interaction with you to make it fact. 

Annd....then I read the later part of your last post. I appreciate that you’re done playing nice (void of condescension...truly) and oftentimes I am too. I wholeheartedly believe in your approach. In that post I didn’t explain it clearly. Value exists in both approaches. 

As far as the silencing me comment (I’m not going to espouse the virtues of posting vs lurking) but....POST people! (Lurking is not the same...doesn’t carry the same weight...there’s no honor in lurking...one doesn’t have to espouse the virtues of a lurked opinion) but it was just the “take it elsewhere aspect” that bothered me. I have a low post count.....I’m not an established poster and sometimes it can feel, when in the ideological minority and told to take it elsewhere, that it’s an attempt at silencing. Especially when others who disagree are responding and being lauded.

i think we’d agree on the majority of issues. And I genuinely appreciate the rather dispassionate matter in which we were able to discuss our disagreements.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is just not that easy to move to another country!! You need visas and work permits and stuff. But apparently Nova Scotia is friendly to new residents. Some people here in South Jersey are moving there. I think they could use more residents it would seem. But then someone mentioned here earlier they have a shortage of doctors. But I checked Wikipedia and it is just drop dead gorgeous. 

But to move other places in Canada not easy. Some young people I know here checked it out and said it wouldn’t work for them based on their professions. 

1 hour ago, elliha said:

He is a big baby but not so big that it is impossible that she could have given birth vaginally. It all depends of the size of her pelvis and the size of the baby's head and shoulders. A friend of mine had a 5.2 kilo baby vaginally. Not her first, her second but she said it was a relatively easy labor and he just kind of squashed together nicely since he had an average sized head and shoulders and all that fat is soft. Her first was roughly the size of little Gideon so maybe that is what Joy might have next time. My friend did not have gestational diabetes either time but her husband is huge and was over 5 kilos too. She was monitored with the second one but the doctors only believed he was slightly over 4.5 kilos. She had third kid by induction at 38 weeks who was over 4 kilos too. 

Many of my friends homebirth and most of my friends have average size babies. But not all lol. One friend’s (who weighs roughly 100 pounds) last baby was nearly 11 pounds; a homebirth. Another friend who is average sized recently had a baby (at home) who was over ten pounds. No meds, no tearing, and I was blessed to watch the whole thing. Big babies can happen to healthy moms of all sizes who don’t have junky diets. 

45 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Gideon just makes me think of the Bibles that are in every hotel room. 

I wonder if that's why they called him that as it is/was the purpose of the Gideons to have a bible in every hotel room.

So when can we expect the awkward and cringe-worthy congratulations videos?

“Congrats Joy and Austin on the birth of baby Gideon! We are so excited for y’all!” Maybe a “we can’t wait to meet him!” from JinJer. Derick will probably say something about having another boy cousin for Izzy and Sam. I’m betting on a joke about the baby’s weight (from Jim Bob?) and a comment about this being the 10th grandchild (also Jim Bob?). 

55 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

SNIP

people showing up at your house when you just want to hang out your boobs to dry in the air for 5 mins.

SNIP

Your entire post sums up new motherhood so well, but this particular sentence embodies so much of those first few weeks after a baby, trying to breastfeed, and this not being a scenario a first time mom really thinks about or anyone else even talks about. You'd think people who have had babies themselves would know better and give you some damn space, but they're all up in your business wanting to hold the baby but not do much else (except get fed with food provided by the new parents). Ugh. Unless visitors are coming over to wipe asses, feed the parents, and clean the house, they just need to stay away for a couple of months.

Which leads me to wonder if the Duggars, being so baby-centric, actually provide help to the new parents. We know Michelle has an infant fetish, but I wonder how much actual help she, or anyone else, provides. Jessa is over at the compound with her boys all the time, but that might have more to do with not wanting to feel lonely than getting a lot of help. Michelle certainly seems to be hands off with her own babies so it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall to see if she really does anything to make life easier for her children. I think about my own mom who was getting up in the middle of the night with my daughter - for hours - just so I wouldn't completely fall to pieces. I don't know what I would do without her and the huge amount of help she has provided for us. And God forbid that any of these Duggar girls suffer the living hell that is PPD/PPA and need medication so they don't feel like jumping off a bridge. 

Sheesh!! Had to read through a whole lot of  bickering to see the baby comments! That was a little annoying! He is super cute!!! Poor Joy!!! 10 pounder!?!?!? I'm sure she was thinking....wtf did I get myself into?! Yikes!!!  Guess she better get used to it because that's gonna be her life for the next couple decades!!! lol Glad he's here safe and sound.

14 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I wonder if that's why they called him that as it is/was the purpose of the Gideons to have a bible in every hotel room.

Didn't Gideon go into war at Deborah's command in the bible? And he blew a trumpet?

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

f Doug Ford wins the Ontario Leadership race, I am moving to Mars (aka British Columbia).  

We can form a Martian colony together!

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

This thread is like one of my family gatherings!

Some people are talking about how cute a new baby is.

Some people are fighting.

Some people are saying "Eff you" to other people

Some people are having a rational, intelligent discussion.

We just need booze and I would feel right at home.

When my grandmother was still alive, it was always tradition to go to Gram’s on Sunday afternoons. What you described here pretty much sums up every Sunday at Gram’s house. 

For some reason, the men liked to sit on the porch a lot. Even in Central PA in the dead of winter. I wonder why ;)

2 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

Lucky Anna. These girls who have 9 and 10 lb 1st and 2ndbbabies won’t be able to do it naturally at home forever... I pray they use medical advice and prenatal care.i just watched a video with Joy and Austin... are they very uncomfortable for the camera? They sound... delayed. I don’t want to sound horrible. They sound halted, slow, not sure what to say or how to say it. Poor babies being adults with babies. I don’t know austin’s Education but I feel like joy’s age and ‘home based’ education is showing here... this birth doesn’t make me happy... :(

I think they sounded fine. Joy sounds like she has a head cold though.
Can't believe they were going to do a homebirth!!!! yikes. But looks like she ended up at the hospital at some point. I'd be curious to hear the story, granted we didn't hear Sam's, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Gideon os the 7th brother inbthe movie Se en Brides for Seven Brother!..only place I have heard the name!

As for moving to Canada its about a 12 month wait after applying to find out of you are accepted. Unless you have a spouse or donit by lottery. NS is beautiful but not a lot of work.

49 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

I’m betting on a joke about the baby’s weight (from Jim Bob?) and a comment about this being the 10th grandchild (also Jim Bob?). 

Why not both in one?

"How about that Momma--our tenth grandchild and he was 10 pounds!"

Cue giggle from Michelle.

I’ll be honest: as soon as I saw the baby’s name this morning, “Locomotive Breath” by Jethro Tull started playing in my head (“He picks up Gideon’s Bible, open at page 1...”).

10 lbs? And I thought Jessa had big babies! He's a cutie though, looks like Austin I think.

Also, like, all of my predictions have been wrong lol

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

It is just not that easy to move to another country!! You need visas and work permits and stuff. But apparently Nova Scotia is friendly to new residents. Some people here in South Jersey are moving there. I think they could use more residents it would seem. But then someone mentioned here earlier they have a shortage of doctors. But I checked Wikipedia and it is just drop dead gorgeous. 

But to move other places in Canada not easy. Some young people I know here checked it out and said it wouldn’t work for them based on their professions. 

Oh wow--my great grandmother was from Nova Scotia and I was hoping I could claim that.  Apparently, her kids could claim Canadian citizenship, even though they were born in the US, but I can't---too far removed now.  A huge chunk of my family comes from NS or New Brunswick.  My mom can claim Irish citizenship, but I can't do that either. 

Honestly, it looks like the easiest way for me to become a Canadian citizen is if one of you Canadians could adopt me.  :)

23 minutes ago, HOTW said:

Gideon os the 7th brother inbthe movie Se en Brides for Seven Brother!..only place I have heard the name!

As for moving to Canada its about a 12 month wait after applying to find out of you are accepted. Unless you have a spouse or donit by lottery. NS is beautiful but not a lot of work.

I love that movie! Thanks for mentioning it, I may need to find it for my kids to watch. 

Joy and Austin seem to be pretty private (possibly their personalities, possibly because they’ve seen what an arse Derick has been on Twitter and decided to keep themselves to themselves) and so I bet being on camera isn’t what they’re comfortable with. I know I wouldn’t be too comfortable having to provide a piece to camera (out of obligation to fans/family) when I’d just given birth to a 10lb baby and was experiencing all that for the first time.

"Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
Only to find Gideon's Bible"

Now that's stuck in my head.

18 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Oh wow--my great grandmother was from Nova Scotia and I was hoping I could claim that.  Apparently, her kids could claim Canadian citizenship, even though they were born in the US, but I can't---too far removed now.  A huge chunk of my family comes from NS or New Brunswick.  My mom can claim Irish citizenship, but I can't do that either. 

Honestly, it looks like the easiest way for me to become a Canadian citizen is if one of you Canadians could adopt me.  :)

A woman and her family like I mentioned, are moving to NS and if you read online.....I think I can’t remember which thing i read, but NS is open to receiving people. But I guess you would have to move there and possibly get dual status. They move the process along. 

Maybe this is not what you meant. But they are open to people moving there. I think they need good people. And the pictures are stunning!!

Congratulations Joy and Austin, welcome to the world Gideon. 

I always say they do things right before the new season...this tops it. 

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

Sheesh!! Had to read through a whole lot of  bickering to see the baby comments! That was a little annoying! He is super cute!!! Poor Joy!!! 10 pounder!?!?!? I'm sure she was thinking....wtf did I get myself into?! Yikes!!!  Guess she better get used to it because that's gonna be her life for the next couple decades!!! lol Glad he's here safe and sound.

Welcome to FJ! We’re really big fans of thread drift here. Usually posters just skip over whatever drift doesn’t interest them or they just continue talking on topic while the drift continues. It happens a lot on the Duggar threads, but it dies down eventually. :) 

(Sorry if you’ve been here a while. I didn’t recognize your username, so I thought you might be new and I wanted to welcome you. :pb_lol:)

2 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

We just bought a home in coastal Southern Ecuador. We are eligible for  residency as our granddaughter is an EC citizen and our daughter has her residency as well. We plan to split our time between our 2 homes. Our daughter and her EC husband recently turned down jobs back here in the states. Pencil to paper, their lives are better in EC...educated , experienced people. It's all rather sad.

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

So am I the only one with this song stuck in my head on a loop now?

That was the first thing I thought about! :handsex:

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived