IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

@lawlifelgbt social change in general doesn’t happen via focus groups and respectability politics. It happens when the oppressed take direct action to force a change. The modern LGBT rights movement was started by a riot at the Stonewall Inn, not by the more respectable types at the Mattachan Society or the Daughters of Bilitus. Furthermore, most of the participants in the Stonewall riots were throughly non-respectable by white middle class standards; non-white, working class, visibly flouting gender conventions, and many on the fringes of society. But one day, they just decided that they were tired of being harassed by the police, and the rest is history.

The sane is true of the Civil Rights Movement, which has been greatly sanitized in our political discourse. When the Civil Rights Movement was originally going on, most whites were against it, just like how most whites are against Black Lives Matter today. In the South, whites thought that the Civil Rights Movement was the opening salvo of another Civil War, especially when the National Guard went into Little Rock. A lot of whites, North and South, thought that giving Civil Rights to blacks was a slippery slope to the gulag. Furthermore, a lot of whites thought that MLK was a dangerous communist, and frankly, many still do to this day (look at any movement conservative writeup on King Day and you’ll see what I mean). If a minority group sits around and waits until the majority finds them sufficiently “respectable” to demand their rights, nothing is ever going to change.

ETA When Malcolm X returned from the Hajj, he had moved to a pan-Africanist perspective from the narrow black supremacy of the NOI, but was still hardly a respectable moderate. His goal was to link up the Black struggle in the US to the anti-colonialist battles in Africa and beyond. However, his assasination prevented this vision from coming to fruition. Like King, Malcolm X has been sanitized to fit into the American narrative of constant moral progress. 

I’m not saying that dialogue is useless, but it shouldn’t be the only tactic, and certainly not the main one. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/02/2018 at 12:02 AM, sj3339sta said:

Presidents don't make laws, they enforce them. Congress are the ones who need to make laws.

That said, I am personally not a fan of requiring companies to pay for 100% of salary for a year long maternity leave. Nor am I ok with paying more taxes to pay for it. I want less government and fewer laws and lower taxes, not the opposite.

But I am also a Libertarian nerd, so there you go...

Obviously you're a libertarian when you want people to be fucked so you can save a few quarters in taxes.  I bet you also think a "good guy with a gun" would stop all shootings, and so think assault rifles should remain legal.  Because fewer laws.  Right?

Congrats on supporting shit that is wrong in this country.

15 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Pippy-go-merry-stocking

Thanks for outing GryffindorDisappointment's real name, there, Mela99. lol

5 minutes ago, viii said:

I hope so. I never saw Jessa as a maternal person either, and now I think (judging from what they show us) that she's the most hands-on mom. 

I was gonna type that, but couldn’t phrase it in quite the right way. I agree that Jessa seems to be a great mom (shitty beliefs aside). 

Just now, VineHeart137 said:

I'm not sure where it came from since it wasn't in the People article I saw but @VelociRapture was kind enough to share! Here ya go.

Hide contents

819A8732-AD7C-4293-9C93-80480BE5576C.thumb.jpeg.ba628a7172b645ce8819f969fee4c811.jpeg

Aw, he is especially cute in that little onesie! 

A few more photos they just posted to Instagram. Those Duggar genes are STRONG! He looks just like his cousins to me.

On 25/02/2018 at 12:27 AM, sj3339sta said:

Eh, I almost bit and responded, but I shouldn't have even responded in the first place. I just want a smaller government with less regulation. I want to pay for my own birth control if I want/need it, and not anyone elses. What you and your doctor decide us best for you, is your business, not mine.

Well, I shouldn't have to pay for you to get chemo if you get cancer and want to do that.  If you shouldn't have to pay half a penny toward BC, I shouldn't have to pay some nickels for you to get chemo.  But I'm sure you want chemo, and you want the rest of us to help pay for it.  And I'm sure you don't think women should be getting food stamps to feed those babies you just helped force them to have.  

Wonder if Jill was offering/insisting/begging to help with a homebirth, and that helped motivate Joy and Austin to have the baby elsewhere.  OTOH, if the birth was going to be filmed, and the Dillards are off the show, then Jill would have had to hide from the cameras.

I imagine the Forsyths, especially, are thrilled that the baby is a boy.  Firstborn son and future manager of Fort Rock.  I can see Gideon having an extremely strict upbringing, but also a lot of time outdoors and meeting new people at the camp.

The Duggar offspring are going to have to start having a bunch of girls for household help and baby-tending duties...so I hope they don't.  More work might result in more spaced-out babies, or at least I'd like to think so.

Just now, singsingsing said:

A few more photos they just posted to Instagram. Those Duggar genes are STRONG! He looks just like his cousins to me.

I see a lot of Spurgeon in him, he is a dolly, she look exhausted but really good for having birthed a toddler.

I can see that those riots were important: but political strategizing and conversation is about what happens after the riots, I think. You need to have both, or at least people willing to engage and do respectability politics even if they are reprehensible to some.

That's something I can do. I do it every day. It's tiring but it's my contribution. Yes, I think protests do happen, and can be a response when people reach a boiling point and nothing is done. But protests and anger alone don't make change. There's a place for conversation, and it's a very important step in getting minority goals to be supported by laws.

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If you look at the third picture, Gideon either looks totally over it or like he's just met Uncle Josh and Uncle Derick.

1 minute ago, adidas said:

Cute baby but whoa. Poor Joy’s perineum. 

I was thinking the same thing my whoode hoo hurts just sitting here, Praise Rufus for C/sections for me, I tried to push out an 8 pounder for 4 HOURS and he wouldn't budge, no way I'd have gotten thank mac truck through.

On 25/02/2018 at 9:55 AM, StepMonsterInLA said:

So I kind of take issue with piling on the US for not providing adequate paid time off for maternity leave. 6 weeks of state disability is 100% more than Haiti or Mexico.  

Your mindset helps fuck this country more.  "America isn't as bad as" is how we race to the bottom.  We should be looking UP and struggling for that, not down and being complacent.  I get the feeling you're a business owner who bitches at having to provide any benefits, even through you may say you don't.  You definitely have that horrible Republican mindset of "be grateful for this shit I'm giving you since Haiti and Mexico have worse shit, and just ignore how every other developed nation is humane."

On 25/02/2018 at 9:55 AM, StepMonsterInLA said:

Tl/dr Yeah US ma and paternity leave isn’t ideal. So what you’re living in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Stop being spoiled.

For this, I'll tell you fuck your fucking privileged bullshit ways and go to hell.

32 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Damn, harsh. Guess I'll scratch that one off our list... 

:pb_lol:

Maybe go with Pippy-go-merry-buttons. Change it up a LITTLE AT LEAST. 

** I heard this before on the Colbert Christmas Special where he insists Elvis Costellos' real name is Pippy-go-merry-buttons. I find it unreasonably hilarious.

On 25/02/2018 at 6:21 PM, Londish said:

This is similar to my thoughts on not drug testing food stamp recipients, ignoring the obvious facts that it never actually results in any significant findings. Taking away someone’s food stamps because they fail a drug test doesn’t mean they will all of a sudden get clean, it means they - and any children involved - will starve.

If someone shoots heroin or crack, it'll be out of their systems fast, and they can pass a test.  Someone who took a hit off a pot joint from a plant their brother grew will fail up to a month later.  Drug-testing is bullshit.

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

ouch, more than 4 kg?? wow the duggars really have big babies

Congrats on joy and Austin, she looks really tired and young in the photo ( as normal after a labor)

curios to know more about the birth story, still have to think about the name not sure if i liked it remembers me of an old english librarian..

Aren't we still waiting for Meredith, Samuel and Mason's birth stories?  If this was not a non- medicated, home birth I doubt we'll here much.

20 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Well little Gideon knows his timing, right before the new season premiere.  Now cue the congratulations videos! 

perhaps they based the wedding around that and the conception as well 

new calendars and all 

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Aren't we still waiting for Meredith, Samuel and Mason's birth stories?  If this was not a non- medicated, home birth I doubt we'll here much.

um no never nada

I am really tired of the narrative that liberals/Democrats need to remain calm and composed in the face of everything the Republicans throw our way. They take away women's rights, they take away LGBTQIA rights, they take away immigrant's rights. They think it's cool that PoC get shot by the police, and that children are being slaughtered in schools. But we're supposed to just stand there and debate nicely and calmly, and when that doesn't change anything, we're supposed to gracefully accept defeat.

Frankly, that has been the Democratic party's modus operandi for way too long, and it has just made right-wing Republicans stronger and stronger. It's clearly not working. So I am done being nice to people who want to destroy everything I believe in. YMMV.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, justoneoftwo said:

I hate this kind of logic.  With my boy I have to worry about all the vaginas?  Or are girls never a threat to boys?  Because they are.  Sex is as scary for both (or nearly) and I only have to worry a bout his penis because he is responsible for his actions and should be worried about the other penises or vaginas himself.  For both I would worry they would be hurt, but this obsession of protecting girls and not boys is so unhealthy.

Sorry for ranting.  I'll be quiet now.

STD's are equal opportunity infectors.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived