IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I believe Anna's first 4 were in the 8 pound range, and Mason was 9 found.

Both Jessas were 9 pound range, but Henry being bigger.

Israel was over 9 as well, but I'm can't remember if Sam's was ever announced.

I googled Sam, and according to an Insta post by Derick he was 9lb 10oz. Izzy was exactly the same apparently. 

I hope to the FSM that Joy was sensible and didn’t go through a 70 hour labour like Jill did with Israel. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna's boys were > than 9 lbs; Mac was 8 lb and Meredith was in the high 7 lb range.

Izzy and Sam were both 9-10

SES was 9-11

HWS was 8-11

Now GMF 10-3

It's gotta be hard for these girls. The first days/weeks postpartum are brutal. If you haven't been through it you can't imagine what it feels like when your estrogen/progesterone drop precipitiously and prolactin picks up if you're breastfeeding. Your emotions are all over the place, you cry for no reason or invented reasons (I wept every time I saw my dog as I was convinced he didn't love me anymore when we brought our first baby home), you feel emotionally unstable and it's all very confusing since you're supposed to be thrilled and happy to have this baby but you don't feel like yourself. That goes away in the first couple of weeks unless you get PPD which can last for months. And then you have your physical recovery, the exhaustion which makes you all the more emotional and anxious, the awful night sweats (again, thanks hormones), people showing up at your house when you just want to hang out your boobs to dry in the air for 5 mins. And these women all have young and horny husbands who I am sure are all over them 40/80 days + an hour. I can't imagine a single one of the women saying, you know what Imma take a few months off this unprotected sex bit because I don't feel like it or it hurts or whatever. Nope, joyfully there like their mother.

None of these couples have long-lasting and strong enough relationships to help them make this transition easier. No dating, super short courtships and engagements, rushing into pregnancy the moment that egg makes its way to the fallopian tube. What foundation is there? I honestly can't imagine.

49 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

To be a CNM, you must be an RN as well, and so would be extremely capable of newborn care.  I had CNMs at both births---they absolutely did all of the infant care after birth--including all the routine screenings, tests, blood work that newborns in the USA get. I have a hunch that nurses in general (and I include CNMs here) are at least as capable as OBs, and likely more practiced in routine care of healthy newborns.

Of course, I followed up with our pediatrician for both births as well, but for the immediate care after birth, I was extremely satisfied with my CNM care. :)

Thanks for the info. My husband's aunt is a retired NICU nurse and his stepmother is a retired OB GYN NP. I have a great respect for nurses, but  I don't trust that any Duggar who gives birth at home would have a CNM on hand. Jill's training to me is bogus. She claims she can be her own OB because she knows how to use a sphygmometer and has a home Doppler. Yea, no. Considering her own two births she is the last person I'd trust.

I just hope Joy makes sure little Gideon gets a well baby checkup, but I'm not holding my breath.

14 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Showing my age here, as well as my nerd flag; when I think of Gideon I think of the Character from Tex Murphy: Overseer.

Back in my high school days, my friends and I were all reading the Kent Family Chronicles book series by John Jakes. One of the main characters was Gideon Kent. He was strong, fair..... the usual good guy but he wore an eye patch. I loved that name ever since. 

Funnily enough I've had a cold for the past few days and in desperation for something mindless and distracting to do, I've been adding to my Duggar spreadsheet and have the various grandduggar weights at hand. Biggest to smallest:

Gideon: 10lbs 3oz

Spurgeon: 9lbs 11oz

Israel: 9lbs 10oz

Samuel: 9lbs 10oz

Marcus: 9lbs 3oz

Mason: 9lbs 1oz

Henry: 8lbs 11oz

Michael: 8lbs 5oz

Mackynzie: 8lbs

Meredith: 7lbs 14oz

12 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

It's gotta be hard for these girls. The first days/weeks postpartum are brutal. If you haven't been through it you can't imagine what it feels like when your estrogen/progesterone drop precipitiously and prolactin picks up if you're breastfeeding. Your emotions are all over the place, you cry for no reason or invented reasons (I wept every time I saw my dog as I was convinced he didn't love me anymore when we brought our first baby home), you feel emotionally unstable and it's all very confusing since you're supposed to be thrilled and happy to have this baby but you don't feel like yourself.

Yes. Add to that some pain meds from my c-section and I was certifiable. My baby was in the NICU and I felt like couldn't stop crying for him. In addition had myself convinced that my hospital room was demon possessed. I kept hearing a clicking sound and I had the nurse and my husband investigating this tiny noise. But I couldn't sleep and I was sobbing because I felt like the demons were closing in when no one was in the room with me. I elected to dial back on the hard meds and stick to ibuprofen after that, which helped, but I've never cried so much in my life as I did right after birth.

I'm from Austria and I have never heard the name Gideon here, but I used to watch a lot of Criminal Minds, so the name immedeately reminded me of Jason Gideon. It sounds like a last name to me, because I first heard it as a last name, but whatever, congrats Joy!

7 hours ago, LimeKitty said:

So fucking move. Or will you be like all those celebs who threatened to leave America if Trump was elected but are still here?

WHAT in the flying HELL.

My goodness did that come out of left field!!!

I never said I was moving to Canada. I said “I don’t think I really want to live in the US anymore” and I said Canada has a more progressive healthcare system. 

What kind of nasty person are you to treat someone so inconsiderately? 

Just now, luv2laugh said:

WHAT in the flying HELL.

I never said I was moving to Canada. I said “I don’t think I really want to live in the US anymore” and I said Canada has a more progressive healthcare system. 

What kind of nasty person are you to treat someone so inconsiderately? 

I've definitely said things like, "I don't think I really want to live on this planet anymore." And moving to another planet would be about as easy for me as it would be for most Americans to move to Canada. I think people need to chill - I really don't think Americans venting about wanting to move to a different country is really all that different than Canadians venting about wanting to move to Mars. I mean, hell, just the other day I found out Doug Ford was running in the Ontario leadership race, and I told everyone I was moving to the Netherlands. :P 

Gideon looks exactly like Austin and Austin's father. Finally a grandduggar that doesn't look like Jim boob!

Just now, singsingsing said:

I've definitely said things like, "I don't think I really want to live on this planet anymore." And moving to another planet would be about as easy for me as it would be for most Americans to move to Canada. I think people need to chill - I really don't think Americans venting about wanting to move to a different country is really all that different than Canadians venting about wanting to move to Mars. I mean, hell, just the other day I found out Doug Ford was running in the Ontario leadership race, and I told everyone I was moving to the Netherlands. :P 

If Doug Ford wins the Ontario Leadership race, I am moving to Mars (aka British Columbia).  

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Democrats basically stand for nothing, are Republicans in everything but name and run roughshot over progressives on everything from the local to the national scale. Healthcare can't even be passed in California even though their are no Republicans in the way. The chair of the DNC (Eric Bauman) is a big pharma lobbyist. But keep believing everything comes down to Rs and Ds. Even Obama said himself that he is a "moderate republican". The Ds have moved right and the Rs have moved off the deep end. 

Huh? I don't understand why you're being so contentious. I don't even disagree with anything you have said, so I literally have no clue what your problem is with me. I never said I believe "everything comes down to Rs and Ds," and I certainly don't think that. I am 100% with you that Democrats have moved right and Republicans have basically fallen off the deep end. Unfortunately, the US is stuck with a two-party system, so for better or worse, liberals don't really have much of a choice but to try to move the Democratic Party back to the left. Again, I am somewhat confused as to your contentious tone.

1 hour ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

That’s a ridiculous cop out. I’ve quoted you once and now I’m misconstruing everything you say? You don’t know me so you have nothing other than my words to judge, however, I meant exactly what I said, nothing more or less. I then went back to clarify what was explicitly directed toward you and what wasn’t. Part of what wasn’t, and not to belabor the point, was dictating how upset minorities were  allowed to be. As I have no idea of your background and this is now the second time in the history of the world I’ve interacted with you, I thought it was obvious that it was not personal.

As far as thread drift....well....it’s a part of the culture. So attempting to silence me by saying people want to discuss Gideon is cute....but I’m gonna defer to a Mod on that.

I apologize if I misunderstood you. It wasn't clear to me at all (in either of your two posts) that you were not talking about me when you said "Also I just have to say I sure hope the people advocating minorities get angry are actual minorities (@Cleopatra7 not talking to you this has been discussed) because oh dear god there’s nothing more we love than the oppressors dictating how upset we’re allowed to be." I still do not understand at whom it was directed if not at me, but if you say it wasn't, then I'll believe you.

Regarding your other point, and why I still think you were miscontruing what I wrote: I merely said that I (personal pronoun) am sick of being nice when right-wing Republicans get their horrible policies enacted and they don't give a damn about being nice. I do think the Democratic party has been too focused on playing nice with Republicans in the past years, and I believe that to be a significant contributing factor for why Democrats have shifted so far to the right themselves. However, I did not claim that there is no merit to respectability politics, and you have claimed several times that I did (and called me "disingenuous at best and condescending AF at worst" because of it). Again, I merely said that I, personally, was done playing nice. I don't know why that seems to bother you so much, since I literally did not tell anyone else what to do. I believe that there are many ways to contribute to positive social change, and that everyone should follow their heart in what way they think they can best contribute.  I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Regarding your last comment, and again I am not sure if that is directed at me or not, but in case it is: I certainly didn't try to silence you, I merely said that I (again, personal pronoun) am done discussing this matter. Feel free to keep discussing with literally any other poster who wants to engage. In case it wasn't directed at me, I'm sorry for misunderstanding again, but I do find it very hard to determine when you are and aren't speaking directly to me in your posts.

And last but not least, I realize that I just contradicted my last post by posting again, but I didn't want to let it stand as it was because I do think there were some honest misunderstandings on both sides (as well as issues that we simply disagree on, of course). Now I'm really done. :)

Again, these people truly do not understand how fortunate they are. Michelle lost two pregnancies but birthed 19 children. And now, what’s that, ten grandchildren in a relatively few years?  And that’s from only four of their kids?  My brain is fuzzy, correct me if I’m wrong (math is hard). Another two confirmed on the way.  Wow, their plan to take over with their brand of Christianity seems to be working extremely well so far.  Add in the Bates and Rods and Andersons and the, albeit faux religious, Nauglers et al and it’s quite scary. Very scary actually. That’s a shit ton of arrows. 

5 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

This thread is like one of my family gatherings!

Some people are talking about how cute a new baby is.

Some people are fighting.

Some people are saying "Eff you" to other people

Some people are having a rational, intelligent discussion.

We just need booze and I would feel right at home.

I have the booze. You can probably tell. 

One good thing is the Duggar sisters  never  have to spend money new boy clothes, toys or really anything baby or small child  at all as everything can be passed down. 

25 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

This thread is like one of my family gatherings!

Some people are talking about how cute a new baby is.

Some people are fighting.

Some people are saying "Eff you" to other people

Some people are having a rational, intelligent discussion.

We just need booze and I would feel right at home.

This is the only thing that has made me laugh all day.  Thanks!!

19 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

One good thing is the Duggar sisters  never  have to spend money new boy clothes, toys or really anything baby or small child  at all as everything can be passed down. 

They only buy used anyway, don't they? 

Showing my age - but Gideon was a tv cartoon duckling with a very long neck when I was little in the 70's. I used to tease my older brother (long necked!) by singing bits of the tune at him!

I quite like the name choice, tbh.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Harper and Gideon, I forgot about him, they are all so cute. The kids and the dads.

It's been awhile since I obsessed over NPH and his family, but I had a mild giggle that JoStin#1 as well as Meagan Forsyth Ballinger's kids share a name with Neil Patrick Harris and his husband's kids xD 

When I see Gideon, I think of the Eric Jerome Dickey books about Gideon, the hit man. They are really steamy, so I know Joy would freak out about this connection.

I also think of the Preston and Child Gideon Crew books, which are good, but I like their Pendergast books better.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived