IGNORED

Joy and Austin 19: 273 Days After the Wedding Gideon Arrived

Coconut Flan

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Michelle also said that she ate a candy bar every day of her pregnancy with Jessa. 

That must be why she’s so sweet :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, mizandry said:

All that said... I'M SO UPSET they didn't name him Ricky Martyn!! :tw_bawling:

Maybe they can give all their baby boys the middle name Martyn.

1. Ricky Martyn

2. Steve Martyn

3. Aston Martyn

4. Remy Martyn

My cat's name was Gideon. He was the best cat in the world. So I heartily approve of their name choice, even though I disagree with basically everything else they do. I also have an online friend with a young son named Gideon. I think it fits in with the current popularity of somewhat clunky biblical names. Maybe they'll use Ezekiel for the next one.

My bet is on the fact that they saw it on the hotel room Bible they found the night Gideon was conceived.

I also immediately thought of the hotel bibles, but I'm surprised I didn't think of Seven brides for seven brothers considering how often I get "Going courtin', going courtin" stuck in my head reading these threads.

Austin hasn't talked about the birth. He just wrote a message on IG that was also put on the Duggars' blog. There IS a clip on TLC where they talk about the birthing pool, but this was before the birth. 

11 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Neil Patrick Harris and his husband David Burka have a son named Gideon, I kind of like the name.

Yes, twins, Harper and Gideon. Coincidentally, Austin has a niece named Harper. I’ll admit I didn’t care for either name when the Harris-Burka twins were born, but they’ve grown on me. They’re nice names, even if not my personal style. 

Gideon Martyn looks just like Austin’s dad to me. I like the use of Austin’s middle name.

I have a skewed sense of how big babies are because I was 9 lb 1 oz and my little brother was 10 lb 4 oz. My poor mother. She had us both vaginally. With epidurals, but still. 

Speaking of Gideon, I find it a little strange to know he was conceived on this honeymoon I am watching right now. 

39 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

Joy looks like she had him vaginally and it hurts to sit down. I feel her pain. My daughter was born the day after Gideon and was “only” 8 lbs 6 oz. 

Congratulations...and welcome to the world, KnittingOwlDaughter!

1 minute ago, zygote373 said:

Speaking of Gideon, I find it a little strange to know he was conceived on this honeymoon I am watching right now. 

Was JUST thinking this myself!!

2 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I think Joy had a c-section. Gideon's head looks pretty round.

My 7.0 lb first had the biggest cone head- I'm not seeing how that perfectly round head on a 10 pounder passed through a primigravida's birth canal. If so, you go, JOY.

5 hours ago, halcionne said:

Didn't Gideon go into war at Deborah's command in the bible? And he blew a trumpet?

I remember Gideon being the guy in the Old Testament who was told by an angel to go to war with a neighboring tribe of non-Israelites. Because he didn't believe the angel, he asked for a "sign" as proof. Woke up the next day, whatever thing he asked for, happened. Because he wanted to make DOUBLY sure, he asked for another sign, this time the opposite of the first. (This involves a piece of wool left under a tree being either wet or dry, can't remember the order.) He woke up the next day to the exact results he told the angel he'd need to see in order to believe God wanted him to go attack those people.

The short of this is, I grew up learning that while Gideon did ultimately do what was asked of him, you aren't ever supposed to question God so don't be a Gideon. I thought the name choice was interesting given that whole lack of faith/testing God aspect.

Edit: An interesting choice for this group of "Obey the first time" blanket trainers, and remembering how the Bates parents said they stressed about their daughter Michal/Michael/Michaela/back to Michael when they were reminded that Biblical Michal didn't exactly have a great story...

51 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

Joy looks like she had him vaginally and it hurts to sit down. I feel her pain. My daughter was born the day after Gideon and was “only” 8 lbs 6 oz. 

Good work and congrats on your baby daughter!

1 hour ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

I just hope they don't use banker training on this poor little soul.

The typo here (I assume autocorrect) made me laugh, but the realization that the Forsyths were on that "World's Strictest Parents" show (right?) - and therefore may actually advocate Pearl-style blanket training - cut that chuckle short. :cry:

Aww, I really like the name. Relieved that I was wrong about the birth date though. Imagine how much bigger he would have been if he had cooked another week like I predicted. Hoping Joy recovers quickly.

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm tempted to see if I can claim my mother's Cuban citizenship...that's how much I detest the USA. We are actively looking for somewhere to go as soon as he starts collecting his Navy reserve retirement...4 and a half years to go.

My boss just got back from Cuba and now I have a beautiful hand painted tote bag.

Anyway, he loved it.  Fabulous people, the Paladars, the way they have been repurposing due to necessity,  the great educations that are "free"....you work for the government for a few years while being able to have a side hustle to make ends meet.  I learned a lot!  He said no one is homeless.  Made me aware even more of the propaganda us Americans have been fed about Cuba.  

I can't lie, I'm scared here in the US with a son who will be needing so much as he progresses.  We make decent money, but, no where near enough to handle such things.  I'm lucky to live in California.   45 is getting his hands on our awesome care of special needs though.  You may not see it until faced with a healthcare crisis, you won't be speaking to the people I now speak to.  I'm scared and pissed.

20180226_200401.jpg

14 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

The typo here (I assume autocorrect) made me laugh, but the realization that the Forsyths were on that "World's Strictest Parents" show (right?) - and therefore may actually advocate Pearl-style blanket training - cut that chuckle short. :cry:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0027UT3N6/ref=atv_yvl_list_pr_4

Yes, it's episode 8.

1 hour ago, shock928 said:

anybody know how far apart Michelle's and the others are spaced?

According to my spreadsheet:
Josh - Jana/John David: 1 year, 10 months, 9 days
Jana/John David - Jill: 1 yr, 4 mos, 5 days
Jill - Jessa: 1 yr, 5 mos, 18 days
Jessa - Jinger: 1 yr, 1 mo, 17 days
Jinger - Joseph: 1 yr, 30 days
Joseph - Josiah: 1 yr, 7 mos, 8 days
Josiah - Joy Anna: 1 yr, 2 mos
Joy Anna - Jedidiah/Jeremiah: 1 yr, 2 mos, 2 days
Jedidiah/Jeremiah - Jason: 1 yr, 3 mos, 22 days
Jason - James: 1 yr, 2 mos, 16 days
James - Justin: 1 yr, 4 mos, 8 days
Justin - Jackson: 1 yr, 6 mos, 8 days
Jackson - Johannah: 1 yr, 4 mos, 18 days
Johannah -  Jennifer: 1 yr, 9 mos, 22 days
Jennifer - Jordyn: 1 yr, 4 mos, 1 days
Jordyn - Josie: 11 mos, 22 days

The smallest gap is between Jordyn and Josie at 11 mos 22 days.
The largest gap is between Johannah and Jennifer at 1 yr, 9 mos, and 22 days.
The age difference between the oldest and youngest child is 21 yrs, 9 mos, 7 days.

(I have no life lmao)

58 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My bet is on the fact that they saw it on the hotel room Bible they found the night Gideon was conceived.

Maybe they were too busy doing other things than looking at Bible's for once?

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Oh wow--my great grandmother was from Nova Scotia and I was hoping I could claim that.  Apparently, her kids could claim Canadian citizenship, even though they were born in the US, but I can't---too far removed now.  A huge chunk of my family comes from NS or New Brunswick.  My mom can claim Irish citizenship, but I can't do that either. 

Honestly, it looks like the easiest way for me to become a Canadian citizen is if one of you Canadians could adopt me.  :)

I was born and raised in Nova Scotia, and now live in New Brunswick :) If you love the ocean and small towns, you'll love Nova Scotia. I miss is a lot. New Brunswick is nice too, less ocean and more trees. Still beautiful and for the most part lovely people!

I was thinking about Americans moving to Canada, and culture shock issues/differences between the two countries, and I started randomly googling to see what people I don't know had to say on the issue... and I found a bunch of people saying that 'shit disturber' is a Canadian term not used in the U.S. Is this true?!

@singsingsing I’ve never heard of a shit disturber. I’ve heard of people causing shit or who like to cause shit, which is never said in a good way. Old people might say a pot stirrer, which I think means an instigator in an undesirable way. You can also stir things up or make waves, but sometimes that’s a good thing in the end, although it connotes some discomfort to at least some people involved. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived