IGNORED

Bates 23: Waiting on the Next Wedding

Coconut Flan

What the hell, I always liked Nathan... But here he sounds like an asshole, spouting the typical Gothard views, ewwww "loose and curly" sod off Nathan. This scene is so creepy

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'll be having my hair up if I ever get married. I've got long, straight, fine hair. It can not holds curl or even a wave, and if you don't brush it during the day it just looks like one hot mess. I have tried everythimg except a perm to get this hair to look even slightly different. Nothing holds.

So no Nathan, I won't regret having my hair down let alone curly, and your sister's reasons for wanting her hair up (and not even fully up, a beautiful loose bun!) are perfectly justified. If god wanted women to have a Jesus Perm-mullet, then they'd have them naturally you baboon.

52 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

So I'll be having my hair up if I ever get married. I've got long, straight, fine hair. It can not holds curl or even a wave, and if you don't brush it during the day it just looks like one hot mess. I have tried everythimg except a perm to get this hair to look even slightly different. Nothing holds.

So no Nathan, I won't regret having my hair down let alone curly, and your sister's reasons for wanting her hair up (and not even fully up, a beautiful loose bun!) are perfectly justified. If god wanted women to have a Jesus Perm-mullet, then they'd have them naturally you baboon.

@Kangaroo If your hair doesn't hold curl you were obviously never meant to be married. 

That clip changed my opinion of Nathan,too.Tori needed to do whatever SHE wanted with HER hair,

Personally,I like it when they put their hair up,like Jinger did for her wedding.Something different for that day.

My hair is really straight,and a medium thickness.Like I said,my mother inflicted a pixie haircut on me,when I was a little girl,and I have hated short hair on me,ever since.

I have grown my hair out three times and donated it.But in the midst of growing it out,my hair got in way,was hot at work etc.I just don't have the patience for long,long hair anymore.I keep it just above my shoulders,usually.I think it looks better that way.

My hair definitely does not hold a curl,either.When I would go to the salon,the hair dresser used to ask ,right away,if I wanted a perm.

55 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Maybe Nathan is bitter that Ashley got that cute bob? 

My thoughts exactly.  In  your face, Nathan

Anyone else suspect Nathan’s attitude in that clip is a much more realistic view of how Kelly and Gil treat their kids off camera? Anyone? 

19089A15-DE66-4B08-937D-2993EE21987A.thumb.jpeg.a42c9a31c296fdf166d98dda41a1b3bd.jpeg

Exactly @VelociRapture, it didn't seem like anyone was shocked by his behavior. I think boys/men bossing women around is the norm around that house. 

I think it speaks to how deeply involved in each other's business this family is with each other. My family is close but my brother would not have given two thoughts to my hair on my wedding day.  This is what comes from not ever having any separation from one another, their disgusting views, and having to be accountable to each other all the time.  Plus the boys being led to believe they are 'godly' men. 

I love the thought that Up posted this preview clip thinking that we'd all laugh at the silly brother-sister interaction and be interested because of the wedding aspect.  Meanwhile we've all dissected apart their veneer and formed a new opinion of one of the characters, errr kids, that was previously viewed moderately well.  

I was reading through old Bates threads and found a post where a letter Gil wrote to Carlin when she was seven was discussed.

Carlin Brianne,

What a bubbling bundle of joy and cuddliness you have been to your daddy. From rubbing my feet to scratching my head and showing me all this sweet loving. You are one of the best little cleaners and cookers I've ever seen and so joyful in your labors.

You work so hard for your two big sisters in keeping their room clean and you play so good with your younger sisters. You are such an example of a Godly little girl.

I want you to know that your daddy loves you and is so proud of you.

So at seven the thing Gil loved about her was that she didn't complain while she cleaned, cooked and gave him foot rubs. :angry-screaming:

@VelociRapture I was thinking about that last night too. I guess my mind was going because why I understand the horrible things that happen when fundies have girls I always thought it was worst to have boys just because they are the ones that are taught these horrible things and will be pushing them on the females in their lives such as Nathan right now. I would definitely not be surprised if Gil was the same too. 

Like obviously I would hope no children are born int he cult but I always leaned towards guys being born as the worst because they're the ones teaching. Jill is the only decent one for now because samuel and izzy don't have a sister to push the patriarchy on.

46 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I was reading through old Bates threads and found a post where a letter Gil wrote to Carlin when she was seven was discussed.

So at seven the thing Gil loved about her was that she didn't complain while she cleaned, cooked and gave him foot rubs. :angry-screaming:

That literally makes me want to puke. Rubbing one’s father’s feet and scratching his head sounds disgusting. How can a seven-year-old be godly, anyway?  Surely they are just parroting their parents at that point?  Gah. I don’t have any idea about that. Indoctrination starts in the womb so I suppose they emerge as godly babies.  Christ, these people are sickening. Thanks, @formergothardite, for posting yet another reminder of how fucked up they are.

And, Gil, Carlin didn’t play good, she played well.  (Maybe he’s learned that in the intervening years).  Ugh to all of it. :martian-disgust:

4 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

@VelociRapture I was thinking about that last night too. I guess my mind was going because why I understand the horrible things that happen when fundies have girls I always thought it was worst to have boys just because they are the ones that are taught these horrible things and will be pushing them on the females in their lives such as Nathan right now. I would definitely not be surprised if Gil was the same too. 

Like obviously I would hope no children are born int he cult but I always leaned towards guys being born as the worst because they're the ones teaching. Jill is the only decent one for now because samuel and izzy don't have a sister to push the patriarchy on.

Jessa only has boys right now. Same with Joy and (soon) Joseph. Personally, I feel just as badly for the little boys in this cult as I do for the little girls - there’s nothing healthy at all about these boys being raised to think they’re better than their sisters or female relatives simply because they have a penis. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Dear Gil,

The only thing you mentioned worth being proud of is that she played well with her little sisters. Otherwise? Creepy as fuck. Thanks for posting this way back in the day before you and Kelly became so concerned about your public image. 

Sincerely,

You are one creepy ass dude

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I love the thought that Up posted this preview clip thinking that we'd all laugh at the silly brother-sister interaction and be interested because of the wedding aspect.  Meanwhile we've all dissected apart their veneer and formed a new opinion of one of the characters, errr kids, that was previously viewed moderately well.  

I’m curious about whether these recent slip ups - CarVan’s old people costumes, Erin playing favorites with her kids, and Nathan being a douche - are a result of the Bateses becoming more comfortable on camera. When they started with UP they were mostly on their best behavior and I’m thinking part of that was because they weren’t really used to having cameras around so much. Yeah, they had the TLC show, but that only lasted a single season and they only ever appeared occasionally on 19 Kids. They’re currently on season seven of the show - maybe they’re so used to the cameras that some of them occasionally forget to keep up the act? Or maybe they’re getting a bit cocky because the show is popular, so they’re not being as careful as they used to?

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m curious about whether these recent slip ups - CarVan’s old people costumes, Erin playing favorites with her kids, and Nathan being a douche - are a result of the Bateses becoming more comfortable on camera. When they started with UP they were mostly on their best behavior and I’m thinking part of that was because they weren’t really used to having cameras around so much. Yeah, they had the TLC show, but that only lasted a single season and they only ever appeared occasionally on 19 Kids. They’re currently on season seven of the show - maybe they’re so used to the cameras that some of them occasionally forget to keep up the act? Or maybe they’re getting a bit cocky because the show is popular, so they’re not being as careful as they used to?

Its probably a mixture of both. Seven seasons in its hard to remain on your best behavior for that long and easier to relax back and be your normal self. Also, seven seasons in its easy to feel cocky now, that's a lot of seasons and there's no real danger that they won't be renewed which makes easier to less careful and let things slip out or think that they still need to continue to be careful.     

5 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Who is Erin's favorite kid?

Carson. she took Carson to FL with her saying she can't stand to be separated from him and they do everything together. She left Brooklyn at home. (This was before Everly was born. she also took Carson out for ice cream per her insta story about a week ago  no sighting of Brooklyn.  

4 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Who is Erin's favorite kid?

There has been speculation recently over on the Cherin thread that Carson is her favorite. There’s been some little things people noticed and I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt, but the recent episode to Florida was one of those moments that did make me do a double take. In a TH, Erin explained that she brought Carson because they do everything together and she couldn’t stand to be apart from him... while not saying a word about where Brooklyn was and why she wasn’t on the trip as well. It could have been a completely innocent comment or poor editing, but it was just a really weird moment to a lot of people. 

(For the record, I don’t doubt that Erin loves all of her children. I do think that it wouldn’t be too odd if she really is closest to Carson though - he was the baby she feared she’d never have and it wouldn’t surprise me if there were lingering emotions from her pregnancy impacting that relationship. I mean, I had one early loss and a preterm delivery and I definitely have lingering emotions that have affected how I parent - I think it’d be pretty expected for Erin to be dealing with something similar considering everything she went through. If she’s blatantly favoring him over his sisters then that’s obviously a problem. I do hope that isn’t the case though.)

Hi, long-time lurker. I started reading the site with a favorable view of the Bates and quickly realized they are just the Duggars with a stronger southern accent.

Nathan has shown his true colors on camera before.  I was appalled by how he and Lawson tried to hurry Michael during her dress fitting.  The two guys accompanied Michael, Gil, and Kelly Jo to the store in Knoxville(?) so they could have lunch afterwards. They were pushing her to pick a dress and get out of there so they could do something they found more interesting. IDK if the UP wanted to signal Lawson and Nathan are assholes or if they thought it was a funny exchange.

The one thing I liked about the hair video was that Tori and the rest pretty much ignored Nathan. At the very least Tori didn't defer to his opinion. 

I mostly see Carson on all the other Bateseses instas of all the kids. We are seeing a bit of Everly because she's a newborn, so who knows what will happen.

Another interesting thing I found while browsing the old Bates threads is that Kelly can't sew and was struggling with finding matching frumpers for her daughters so Michelle offered to teach 9 year old Michael to sew so she could start making all the girls' clothing. Learning to sew at that age isn't a bad idea, but having her learn so she could bear the responsibility of making clothing for her siblings is a bit much. 

39 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Another interesting thing I found while browsing the old Bates threads is that Kelly can't sew and was struggling with finding matching frumpers for her daughters so Michelle offered to teach 9 year old Michael to sew so she could start making all the girls' clothing. Learning to sew at that age isn't a bad idea, but having her learn so she could bear the responsibility of making clothing for her siblings is a bit much. 

Damn :my_confused: I won't go on and on about Michaela, but in the FL Bachelorette trip, she was just so sweet and excited to be with all her sisters again, I got a lump in my throat and welled up a bit. I've said this before, but man Michaela really has devoted most of her entire life (except for the past 3 years or so) to her family. I imagine between her and Zach, they could recount some really nasty stuff, not that they ever would, but still. They have seen it all unfold.
She clearly makes an active effort to be joyful and find positives in the little things and being grateful for her family and celebrate her love with Brandon (who I do think truly loves her very much, despite both of their awkwardness), and I just want to give her a hug and say it's OKAY you don't have to be nice all the time! If I was you, I would be pretty pissed off.
I'm sure with all that she's witnessed, she could knock Kelly Bates down a peg or two!

Oh Michael :my_cry: *sigh*

The Bates family instagram posted that the surprise announcement Nathan made on stage at Lawson's concert, that will be shown on tonight's episode, made her and Gil cry.

An guesses on what the announcement was?

It most not have been that newsworthy since it was at a public concert and the attendees could have easily posted about it somewhere

23 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

The Bates family instagram posted that the surprise announcement Nathan made on stage at Lawson's concert, that will be shown on tonight's episode, made her and Gil cry.

An guesses on what the announcement was?

It most not have been that newsworthy since it was at a public concert and the attendees could have easily posted about it somewhere

Guesses:

1. He’s decided to become a hair stylist for women and use that time to minister to them about how Godly long, loose curls are.

2. He’s decided to become a wedding planner and use that time to minister to women about how Godly long, loose curls are.

3. He’s decided to buy a plane and use it to fly banners around telling women about how Godly long, loose curls are.

4. He hopped on stage to help Lawson perform some sort of tribute to their parents... and about how Godly long, loose curls are.

or

5. One of the mission trip things he and Lawson did was filmedabd they announced their plans at this concert. The trip was previously unknown about, but they helped bring hair spray and curling rods to needy women in the Middle East... because they need to know about how Godly long, loose curls are.

Could be any of them. :pb_lol:

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived