IGNORED

Ian and Larissa ~ Where are they now?

Curious

I decided to take the bait from this "friend" and go and look if Larissa decided to put stuff online recently.
She actually made two public posts on her facebook account last year.
The first in January, about a week before the baby was born.

Spoiler

prayforianjanuary.jpg.d7b43ea68b704d290b37bc3c37a0fbaf.jpg

She mentions "Temporarily losing our caregiver (who really needs prayer for healing) and scrambling to make sure Ian is helped each day" while she is "trying to keep working full time".

At the end of October there is this post then.

Spoiler

prayforian1.jpg.94bbdfe29087b6e457eaf08610c1df84.jpg
prayforian2.jpg.a7f8b2a8fef95c9e699a2256e2e3cac6.jpg

Here she says that she is still "looking to hire another guy to hang with Ian a few hours each week" and that this person should "value being a helper to Ian".
Answering a question from the comments that at some point in the future she'll need somebody for the mornings on all weekdays as well.
So I guess this is really more about having a helper than somebody to "hang out" and occupy Ian's time.

All in all this does not sound like everything is fine. This sounds like they were having trouble finding enough help for Ian last year. And as the baby is also in the picture now I don't think things have been easy.
It also sounds like Ian still needs a lot of assistance.
I wonder how they will do it, and if Larissa will go back to working full time. And who will take care of the baby then. Maybe there is some good day care for very small kids available in their area.

PS:
For the "friend": Look, these are sources. These are things we can talk about because we know they actually come from Larissa and tell about her life.
That's how it works.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

that guy surrounded by the dolls looks like a fat Pissing Preacher! PP is far too manly to own a giant set of dolls though. 

I think it takes a guy very secure in his masculinity to surround himself with dolls.

(and tbf that guy repairs them, there is good money in that.)

9 minutes ago, Joyleaf said:

I decided to take the bait from this "friend" and go and look if Larissa decided to put stuff online recently.

Hide contents

She mentions "Temporarily losing our caregiver (who really needs prayer for healing) and scrambling to make sure Ian is helped each day" while she is "trying to keep working full time".

Hide contents

Here she says that she is still "looking to hire another guy to hang with Ian a few hours each week" and that this person should "value being a helper to Ian".
Answering a question from the comments that at some point in the future she'll need somebody for the mornings on all weekdays as well.
So I guess this is really more about having a helper than somebody to "hang out" and occupy Ian's time.

All in all this does not sound like everything is fine. This sounds like they were having trouble finding enough help for Ian last year. And as the baby is also in the picture now I don't think things have been easy.
I wonder how they will do it, and if Larissa will go back to working full time. And who will take care of the baby then. Maybe there is some good day care for very small kids available in their area.

PS:
For the "friend": Look, these are sources. These are things we can talk about because we know they actually come from Larissa and tell about her life.
That's how it works.

It can be really hard to find male caregivers, too. I mean, they’re out there, sure, but there are far more women that apply for that stuff. I was the supervisor of program that cared for developmentally disabled adults, and our male clients always asked for male caregivers (because so many of us were women). In the years I worked there I was only able to hire 5 qualified male staffer members, mostly because almost zero applied. Only 2 out of that 5 stayed for any length of time. I feel for them on this one.

3 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

I haven’t seen Mrs Beasley in the longest time.  This, however, is down right creepy!  Why did he have to taint Family Affair with such weirdness! 

Don't make me quote the first episode where she's dumped unexpectedly on Uncle Bill's doorstep (I fucking HATE Aunt Fran!) clutching the first version of Mrs. B that makes this one look like Miss America.

Spoiler

firstbeasley.jpg

He is trying to let her down easy as he tells her how much he travels and that they'll talk on the phone and he'll bring her back a doll from Peru so she'll have two dolls.

Buffy:  "Mrs. Beasley isn't a doll.  She's my friend."

Uncle Bill:  "Then you'll have two friends."

Buffy:  "No.  I'll have one friend and one doll."

Well, see what you did?  You made me quote it.  You have only yourself to blame.

Seriously she kicks 7 kinds of ass schooling him with logic and biting French...so if Mrs. B is good enough to be her friend she'd good enough for me.  No weirdness involved.

49 minutes ago, waltraute said:

I hazard that Mrs. Beasley sold better than Kitty Karry-All.

Of course she did.  Kitty Karry-All wasn't even smart enough to find her way back after Tiger took her to the dog house.  All she had was a hyphenated last name back when that was pretty exclusive to the privileged class, despite being from a poverty stricken home judging from her repeatedly patched frumper.

Spoiler

dd2acb530531601e460b5d527520ba9b.jpg

Was Kitty a fundy?  That had to be a hard transition for her being with the Brady's and their generic Christianity with a side of Santa.

Mrs. B would have made her way home and brought back Bobby's kazoo while she was at it.

(The Brady's were morons...you have missing items and a DOG.  A dog who has it's own house...you don't check there first?  Seriously, no wonder Carol needed live in help despite no job and all the kids being school age...she had no critical thinking skills.  Don't even get me started on Mike...I feel a blog post coming on.)

nothing to see here - i was trying to add an attachment to the post above but it didn't merge like I thought, so I went another way.  Carry on.

Or....Karry-All.

@Mela99 You have a lovely recipe-writing voice. I'm working on a cookbook and it's tough getting a conversational tone right. I never bake bread so I won't lie and say I'll try the recipe but you have a talent! :pb_lol:

This recipe is originally from Canterbury Shaker Village in New Hampshire http://www.shakers.org/

Shaker Squash Bread

• 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
  • about 8 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh squash or pumpkin puree*, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
  • melted butter for brushing

Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan until the butter has melted, then remove from the heat. Add the salt and sugar to the milk mixture, stir well and leave to cool until lukewarm. Next add the squash puree and eggs to the milk mixture, mixing well.

Combine the flour and yeast, then work in the flour with your hand or an electric mixer until you have a firm dough that begins to leave the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead thoroughly for 7-8 minutes, adding a little extra flour if necessary to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands or the surface.

Put the dough into a clean, lightly greased bowl and turn the dough over so it is coated. Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel and leave the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough, divide and shape each piece into a loaf to fit your pans (I usually divide it in half and use two 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans, but I've also made rolls for Thanksgiving). Place in well greased pans, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 400 F.

Uncover the loaves and bake for 35 minutes until a good golden brown color and the loaves sound hollow when unmolded and tapped underneath.Turn out onto a wire rack and brush tops with melted butter. Leave to cool.

The bread is best eaten within 4 days or toasted. Once thoroughly cooled, it can be frozen for up to a month.

*For the squash/pumpkin puree, start with about 1 3/4 pounds of the vegetable. Peel and remove the seeds and dice the flesh. Without adding water, cook the cubes in a steamer or microwave until they soften, then put through a food mill or food processor until smooth. Be sure to remove any remaining fibers. I have also used canned pumpkin when I didn't have fresh squash. The type of squash used will affect the color of the final bread, from pale yellow to fairly orange.

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Mrs. B would have made her way home and brought back Bobby's kazoo while she was at it.

Everything, EVERYTHING about that whole post is a summation of what is right and good in this world. Buffy don't ever leave again. And if the traveling bug rears its head once more, take Mrs. B with you so that she can guide you home (along with the lost keys to my storage shed while she's at it).

I've been thinking about this thread for a bit and figured I'd copy my latest contribution to the JRod thread:

I'm not sure I'm even capable of seeing the humor in it and making fun of Jill at this point. She has no clue what it's like to truly have to look after someone with a disability or special needs. I'm getting ready to prepare dinner and hand-feed it to my dad, who has lost the use of his limbs to ALS. He loved to cook (and eat), and that joy has been taken from him. Anybody who tries to spin the suffering from others as some kind of spiritual fulfillment for anyone else can kiss my ass.

I know that the situations of the families discussed here are a far cry from that shitshow, but it's the conclusion I've drawn after a year-and-a-half of co-caretaking and watching my dad be gradually betrayed by his own body. I understand marrying into a situation where you're in love with the affected person -- physically or mentally -- but Larissa lost me at "spiritual leader".

4 hours ago, Joyleaf said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

PS:
That's how it works.

You’re absolutely an idiot and need to get a life. You’re making assumptions based on Facebook. Facebook! Laughable. Try actually talking to them before you continue to speak out of your butt. 

3 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Rather nervy, aren'tcha?

See above. 

7 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

You’re absolutely an idiot and need to get a life. You’re making assumptions based on Facebook. Facebooks! Laughable. Try actually talking to them before you continue to speak out of your butt.

I'm commenting on what Larissa decides to make public. By her choice.
And yes, from her posts I assume that she had trouble finding assistance for Ian last year and that he still needs a lot of assistance. You have not presented any sources by Larissa that prove the opposite.
You just run around and insult people. Very impressive. *yawn*

And no, I don't contact strangers to talk with them about their facebook posts. That's a rather creepy suggestion.

BTW Considering your friend Ian's state, don't you think your liberal use of the word "idiot" is rather insensitive?

1 minute ago, Joyleaf said:

I'm commenting on what Larissa decides to make public. By her choice.
And yes, from her posts I assume that she had trouble finding assistance for Ian last year and that he still needs a lot of assistance. You have not presented any sources by Larissa that prove the opposite.
You just run around and insult people. Very impressive. *yawn*

I’m glad we can agree that I’m very impressive. I don’t need sources because I know them. 

“And no, I don't contact strangers to talk with them about their facebook posts. That's a rather creepy suggestion.”

You just creepily stalk strangers you’ve never met, because that’s better. 

“BTW Considering your friend Ian's state, don't you think your liberal use of the word "idiot" is rather insensitive?”

This just again shows the ignorant assumptions made by people in this group. 

12 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

I’m glad we can agree that I’m very impressive. I don’t need sources because I know them. 

“And no, I don't contact strangers to talk with them about their facebook posts. That's a rather creepy suggestion.”

You just creepily stalk strangers you’ve never met, because that’s better. 

“BTW Considering your friend Ian's state, don't you think your liberal use of the word "idiot" is rather insensitive?”

This just again shows the ignorant assumptions made by people in this group. 

If you would care about being believable in any way you would need sources. But you see to care more about insulting people and stirring up trouble. For the good of your friends, of course. Makes perfect sense.

And no, I don't "stalk" anybody.
I'd never try to enter any private group, try to find private information, access email accounts or contact people (like you suggested I should do *brrr*), befriend people on facebook, comment on their facebook or anything like that.
I write here, on this forum, about information that people decide to make public themselves, like for example a public post on facebook, an installment of a TV series, a book, a blog, instagram and so on. I'd never enter any place that could be considered private. No stalking, just commenting.

Please, let us know about our ignorant assumptions (and back up your claim with sources showing where we are wrong, just insulting us doesn't make a good argument). My assumption is that you might be acting insensitively when it comes to your friends Ian and Larissa. From your actions here on the forum so far I'd say I'm spot on.

4 minutes ago, Joyleaf said:

If you would care about being believable in any way you would need sources. But you see to care more about insulting people and stirring up trouble. For the good of your friends, of course. Makes perfect sense.

And no, I don't "stalk" anybody.
I'd never try to enter any private group, try to find private information, access email accounts or contact people (like you suggested I should do *brrr*), befriend people on facebook, comment on their facebook or anything like that.
I write here, on this forum, about information that people decide to make public themselves, like for example a public post on facebook, an installment of a TV series, a book, a blog, instagram and so on. I'd never enter any place that could be considered private. No stalking, just commenting.

Please, let us know about our ignorant assumptions (and back up your claim with sources showing where we are wrong, just insulting us doesn't make a good argument). My assumption is that you might be acting insensitively when it comes to your friends Ian and Larissa. From your actions here on the forum so far I'd say I'm spot on.

Everyone on here is welcome to continue having incorrect assumptions about the lives of people they’ve never met. To each his/her own. 

1 minute ago, Joplin4206 said:

Everyone on here is welcome to continue having incorrect assumptions about the lives of people they’ve never met. To each his/her own. 

Then STFU about it and stop bloody trolling. 

27 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

What is the point of telling people their assumptions are incorrect without also explaining how their assumptions are wrong and offering better (validated) information?

17 hours ago, Joplin4206 said:

We have moved on to other topics. Get with the program. 

Not much is ruder than joining an ongoing forum and brusquely telling the admins(!!) and owner(!!!) how their own conversation may proceed.  Especially since you necro'd a thread from years past -- "we have moved on to other topics" indeed.  FJ does not object to thread drift nor to responding to posts after the conversation has moved on.  You'll notice you didn't get told to "get with the program" after your first post.  People's concerns were only that you were doing the opposite from what your friends supposedly wanted...  Well, that and your nasty tone, but that is also permitted.  Probably wouldn't be if I was in charge...

40 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

Oh, do shut up. I know some people who are discussed here and posters do make assumptions about them. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. But you know what? That's just too fucking bad. People who have chosen to post publicly on social media and are outspoken about their beliefs are going to get discussed by someone, somewhere. If they don't like people discussing them, they can go private at any time. Your "friends" have done so, and poof! Just like magic, people stopped having anything to discuss! Crazy how that works, eh? 

Hopefully someone will realise that Joplin 4206 has been missing for over 24 hours now and send the van to collect her. Her medications must be overdue by now?

12 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

@Destiny and @Curious think it's time to clean the carpets? They're looking kind of rough these days....

Our current situation in this thread, pretty much exactly:

91b3d80cd7249f752a4fa88edd394f51.jpg

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

What is the point of telling people their assumptions are incorrect without also explaining how their assumptions are wrong and offering better (validated) information?

Not much is ruder than joining an ongoing forum and brusquely telling the admins(!!) and owner(!!!) how their own conversation may proceed.  Especially since you necro'd a thread from years past -- "we have moved on to other topics" indeed.  FJ does not object to thread drift nor to responding to posts after the conversation has moved on.  You'll notice you didn't get told to "get with the program" after your first post.  People's concerns were only that you were doing the opposite from what your friends supposedly wanted...  Well, that and your nasty tone, but that is also permitted.  Probably wouldn't be if I was in charge...

If you can’t handle the snark, I’d look for another forum. 

1 hour ago, Evangeline said:

Oh, do shut up. I know some people who are discussed here and posters do make assumptions about them. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. But you know what? That's just too fucking bad. People who have chosen to post publicly on social media and are outspoken about their beliefs are going to get discussed by someone, somewhere. If they don't like people discussing them, they can go private at any time. Your "friends" have done so, and poof! Just like magic, people stopped having anything to discuss! Crazy how that works, eh? 

Remember? We’ve moved on to other topics. 

38 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Hopefully someone will realise that Joplin 4206 has been missing for over 24 hours now and send the van to collect her. Her medications must be overdue by now?

“, said Gobsmacked, unable to handle snark. 

3 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

If you can’t handle the snark, I’d look for another forum. 

honey, you're an amateur among professionals...now go away and play somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

honey, you're an amateur among professionals...now go away and play somewhere else. 

Hahahahahahahaha. You have no idea. Clearly. 

Archived