IGNORED

Ian and Larissa ~ Where are they now?

Curious

49 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Sparkly nail polish is never wrong, no matter the color.

I happen to have a nail polish addiction. Over 300 bottles. I have an entire IKEA Alex with them organized by color

Holy cow! I have zero at home...I get gels...because I'm just a bitch that way. I go every couple of weeks for a mani and wax. No pedis now until spring...the feet are hidden while it's "so cold" here (highs in the mid 60's)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I have decided to take @Joplin4206's suggestion and roast some butternut squash for dinner. I have no idea what to make as accompaniment, as I have neither the right pasta or goat cheese to do her full suggestion. I don't think I have any meats defrosted either. Suggestions?

I’m not sure if it’s too late to go and buy a packet of tortellini (the stuff that only takes a few minutes to cook) but I always add roast butternut to this fish and it is super yummy. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/amp47091/tuscan-tortellini-salad-recipe/

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She's just a cute old grandma missing her glasses and dress with wild hair beyond saving with any brush.

beasley-collector.jpg

Oh my God! The creep factor is even worse with the glasses removed. Those eyes! You have done me a solid, though - all these years I've felt responsible for my poor reaction to that gift and hence, my mother's disappointment.  Looking at that photo as an adult and all I can think is, duh...what other reaction could I have had? And if I remember correctly, you could pull a string and she talked with an eerie old lady voice. The horror. 

Many thanks. This has been therapy for me.

I really need to try squash now. I've never cooked it before in my life.

55 minutes ago, adidas said:

I’m not sure if it’s too late to go and buy a packet of tortellini (the stuff that only takes a few minutes to cook) but I always add roast butternut to this fish and it is super yummy. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/amp47091/tuscan-tortellini-salad-recipe/

Nearest grocery store is 20 min away. I don't have the patience for that. My bra is already off dammit. I think I'm just gonna make some salmon and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, waltraute said:

Oh my God! The creep factor is even worse with the glasses removed. Those eyes! You have done me a solid, though - all these years I've felt responsible for my poor reaction to that gift and hence, my mother's disappointment.  Looking at that photo as an adult and all I can think is, duh...what other reaction could I have had? And if I remember correctly, you could pull a string and she talked with an eerie old lady voice. The horror. 

See @HerNameIsBuffy, I'm not the only one that things those dolls are horrifying. I'm NOT crazy, I'm not!

2 hours ago, waltraute said:

No thanks necessary.   I'm a healer.  :) 

4 hours ago, Joplin4206 said:

Just trying to make sure those who seem to be really interested in Larissa and Ian’s lives are better informed than they are. 

And I’m getting plenty out of it. I love some good snark. Thanks for your concern though!

We WERE interested in their lives a year ago or more when they had a media presence, a public blog, and a public youtube channel.  Then Larissa decided they wanted to take their lives private, which by all accounts they did.  So we honored that request and stopped talking about them not too long after the book came out.

I'm sure we have a bunch of members that don't even know who they are, but now they do...because of YOU.

Also, you are nothing but an internet stranger and all you have said it "they're fine."  You could be anyone.  You might not even know them.   You have offered us no proof that you even know them in any way or what "condition" they are in.  I'm sure we all assumed they were fine because we quit talking about them and have heard nothing from them to make us think that they are anything other than fine.

This all started because of YOU.  If you really are a friend, they sure don't need any enemies.

3 hours ago, Joplin4206 said:

Agreed. But I’ll ask. 

I wouldn't be so sure.  Google indexed this thread today.  I also did a little test and searched Ian and Larissa and now we are 3rd link down (ironically the thread where we talk about them wishing to go private).   If you click on "more like this" it shows our whole archive of thread for convenient reading.

You are correct that ian and larissa baby is a suggested search (which we obviously have no control over and our members would likely not be googling, btw) and our thread is now the first link on the first page of that google search.  Again if you click more like this, all our threads show up.

So basically you not only bumped them here, you bumped them on google.  I'm not sure people wanting to go private will be to happy with this turn of events.  I know I wouldn't be happy if people stopped talking about me and suddenly years later all that stuff was dredged up again.

1 hour ago, Curious said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  Google indexed this thread today.  I also did a little test and searched Ian and Larissa and now we are 3rd link down (ironically the thread where we talk about them wishing to go private).   If you click on "more like this" it shows our whole archive of thread for convenient reading.

You are correct that ian and larissa baby is a suggested search (which we obviously have no control over and our members would likely not be googling, btw) and our thread is now the first link on the first page of that google search.  Again if you click more like this, all our threads show up.

So basically you not only bumped them here, you bumped them on google.  I'm not sure people wanting to go private will be to happy with this turn of events.  I know I wouldn't be happy if people stopped talking about me and suddenly years later all that stuff was dredged up again.

We have moved on to other topics. Get with the program. 

7 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I, for one, would like to discuss bread.

Good bread recipes? I have a killer basic white that makes a great side.

Oh bread, I love bread. I came here for the snark but I will totally stay for bread (if you wanted to share the recipe I would be forever indebted to you. 

I tried fennel once, it was the vegetarian option at a work function. Never again. It tasted lovely but oh my goodness it didn't sit well at all. I have severe IBS and I can firmly plant it on the list of foods that trigger me. 

On the nail polish topic, I love the suggestion of deep warm greys. I was given OPI's Less is Norse in my stocking it's a deep navy/grey creme and I might have to try it this week. I might also need to keep my eye open for Suzy and the Arctic Fox. 

7 hours ago, adidas said:

You haven’t done anything to inform people about Ian and Larissa. You’ve just gone around saying ‘false’ without giving any information about them. And now the rug needs cleaning. 

48570BC8-E4AC-4346-907D-064DE365AAE1.jpeg

Put that under a spoiler!  It needs a warning! 

We have moved on to other topics. Get with the program. 

Please. Just stop this. Please. Move on.

BASIC bread recipe (this is enough for 2 large pizzas or two 1lb loaves)

600g white flour 

10 g salt

10 g dried yeast 

300 ml warm water with a little bit of oil

Knead the ingredients together or use a mixer with dough hooks, adding the water until the dough is soft but doesn't leave 'snail trails' all over the bowl. Depending on your flour you may need more or less water. When it's kneaded enough the dough will be totally smooth and not look like it has cellulite when you press or pull it. Pop it back into the bowl with a tea towel or something over the bowl (I use a shower cap) for about 40 minutes or until it has grown significantly.

knead it briefly again and either roll it out flat for pizza, cover with toppings and bake in a hot oven (200*C) for about 20 mins (thin crust, longer if you like deep base pizza), or for bread, make it into the shape you want (2 lb loaf tin, plaited flat loaf, round ball on a flat tray), cover and leave to rise again for about 40 mins then bake for 30-40 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow if tapped on the base.

Adding sugar to the flour will give a crisp crust

Milk instead of some of the water will make a softer crumb

make the surface of the bread shiny by brushing with beaten egg or milk before baking - this can also be used as glue for sesame or poppy seeds on top of the bread

you can vary the oil for flavour: (olive, extra virgin rapeseed (canola?) oil, oil flavoured with garlic or chilli), add herbs, spices, or any manner of interesting things: sun dried tomatoes, olives, roasted peppers, etc. If you're using a mixer or a bread maker, add any lumpy things later in the kneading so they don't get mashed completely to pulp.

If you have the self control, it's better if you can leave the bread to cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes.

Nails:

I have recently discovered holo powder, which is the most exciting thing. I'm currently wearing it over an OPI warm grey to give a holo pearl shimmer, but it looks amazing over just about any colour. I used it over lilac last week for what Mr B called 'mermaid nails'. Apparently it's better over gel polish but I use it over normal polish with a water based top coat applied before the powder. UNT peel off base coat (weirdly) is the only top coat that doesn't seem to 'crack' the holo/chrome powder as well as protecting it.

Spoiler

IMG_6396.thumb.JPG.d284182b686bf78c2aea93b9829eaf32.JPGIMG_6408.thumb.JPG.2b463f441603db464211a727c9f73273.JPG

10 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I'm a lover of dark, warm greys for winter. Surprisingly nice nail color, goes with everything, and there's really no other time to wear it. 

Right now I've got navy blue holo on, and I am quite fond of it as well :)

My daughter got acrylics with a gorgeous charcoal just before Christmas (she is far more on trend than me). Then she got bored and it started to chip, so she painted over the charcoal  with a very fine dark blue/purple/gold glitter. It looks amazing.

I can imagine - manicures are pricey enough without any extras! I did quite a lot of research before buying my holo/chrome powder to make sure it would work with the products I have at home (YouTube was a great help with comparison videos and tutorials) so in the end my only expense was the powder itself. I only have one but I love the effect so much that I might get another one in a different colour. I'm not particularly skilled in the Dark Arts of Manicure, but I find it very easy to get a good finish with the powder. All my friends have joined the fun and bought the same powders after seeing how easy it is!

8 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Oh bread, I love bread. I came here for the snark but I will totally stay for bread (if you wanted to share the recipe I would be forever indebted to you. 

This is from my blog! It's my own recipe and I promise you'll love it. 

Ingredients

1 and a half cups of warm water. If you’re unsure, heat a cup of water in the microwave for one minute, then add a half cup of water from the sink or fridge. This makes it the perfect temperature

1/4 cup honey (sugar is acceptable, too)

1 and 1/2 Teaspoons salt

1 and 1/2 Tablespoons yeast (packaged or bread machine yeast – either works just fine!)

1/4 cup melted butter

3 and a half cups bread flour

Start the Bread!

World's Best Bread

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. Prepare either a loaf pan with butter, or a bread stone dusted with flour.

3. Combine the honey, yeast and salt in a bowl and pour the warm water over it. Set it aside and let the yeast activate. After about ten minutes, the mixture will look foamy and bubbly and risen substantially in size.

4. Add about a half cup of flour at a time and mix. You can do this by hand, or you can use a stand mixer. I used to use my hands until I got lazy one day and decided to use the KitchenAid and dough hook - GAME CHANGER.

5. After you’ve added all the flour, the dough should be sticky, but not be sticking to your hands or the mixer. Add a little more flour if it's super sticky.

6. LET IT RISE. A new trick I discovered is using the microwave. Place a glass of water with a pinch of salt in the microwave and zap it for 2 minutes. This creates the perfect steamy and warm environment for that yeast. Place the bowl of dough in the microwave and close the door.

7. WALK AWAY. For 45 minutes. Not 40, not 43, 45 minutes. Trust me.

8. After the dough has risen, it should be doubled in size. Here's the fun part. Dust a surface with flour and put the dough down. Sprinkle the top with flour and begin kneading. Pound it, flip it, fold it into itself. Over and over. For at leave five minutes.

9. Once the dough is uniform and smooth and no flour is seen, roll the dough into a log and tuck the edges beneath the log. Make three slits across the top. Cover it with a towel and place it back in the microwave to rise for half an hour.

10. Brush the top and sides of the risen dough with the melted butter. You can also sprinkle it with herbs or cheese if you like! We’ve done ours with oregano and garlic with pasta and it’s amazing!

11, Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the inside sounds hollow and the outside is golden brown.

16 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I, for one, would like to discuss bread.

Good bread recipes? I have a killer basic white that makes a great side.

I'll post my Shaker Squash Bread recipe when I get home from work.

13 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I really need to try squash now. I've never cooked it before in my life.

I haven’t seen Mrs Beasley in the longest time.  This, however, is down right creepy!  Why did he have to taint Family Affair with such weirdness! 

I am baking chocolate chip banana bread on Sunday. It has to be Sunday, because I'm waiting for the bananas to ripen. But I'm so excited I've been thinking about it for the past two days. :D 

22 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

The thing I struggle with when it comes to butternut squash is cutting it. First time I tried to prepare it I nearly severed a fingertip. Any tips on easier prep for it? I'd like to start using it for the kids to try.

I love a good squash thread!  Others above have suggested similar methods, but I put my squash in a crock pot on low for an hour or two to soften it up before cutting.  Squash, yum!

:my_heart:

2 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

I haven’t seen Mrs Beasley in the longest time.  This, however, is down right creepy!  Why did he have to taint Family Affair with such weirdness! 

The big question is, why did Family Affair have to taint Family Affair with such weirdness? Who came up with the idea for an adorable little girl lugging around a doll that was supposed to represent a grandmother or an elderly neighbor? It's clear the show came before the time of merchandise marketing savvy because they majorly missed the boat on that one.  Maybe the Mrs. Beasley doll was a bigger hit than I remember, but I can't help thinking that if Buffy had been carrying a cute standard baby doll they would have made a killing with show tie-in merchandise.

But what do I know? I AM essentially Mrs. Beasley now, at least in the age-wise guesstimate, and I'm scrambling to find ways to keep a steady income rolling in during my elder years because life happened and I'm sitting here without adequate support. Perhaps if I had invested in Mrs. Beasley doll stock back in the day this wouldn't be true.

Actually, I've now given this a second-and-a-half worth of thought. Perhaps none of the above is true. Remember the doll Kitty Karry-All from the Brady Bunch? That was a little girl doll AND it was marketed but it never became a hit either. In fact, I hazard that Mrs. Beasley sold better than Kitty Karry-All.

I know nothing, Jon Snow. That is all.

51 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

@Jellybean, do you apply your powder with a foam eyeshadow applicator?

No, just with a fingertip, though I've heard that an eyeshadow applicator thing works better for applying the powder to a gel topcoat 

Archived