IGNORED

Ian and Larissa ~ Where are they now?

Curious

1 degree Fahrenheit here (-17 Celsius)... not counting wind chill, which can be brutal. 

But I'm much happier with this than very hot weather! I'm just inherently better suited to cold climes, I think, despite my family ancestry (Brazilian) and growing up in the American South. I really feel some of how our bodies react to weather must be innate. I find very cold weather unpleasant, sure, but I don't feel UNWELL -- like I'm about to pass out -- the way I do above 100F/40C.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I think it could be hereditary to a degree (Mr. May is an Engineer and I worked in a very Engineer heavy environment and know A LOT of Engineers who come from Engineer families like off the top I can think of 4 instances) That said it could also be that you are a positive influence on her and because of you sharing your interests she's developed similar ones. Regardless of why it's excellent. The world needs more female engineers. 

Her mother has the same sort of brain, she's a computer nerd and graphic artist. My granddaughter got into the space program because we had NASA TV and I watched a shuttle launch (she was maybe 2) and she just flipped her lid. She used to love the video feeds from the ISS...and would pretend to be weightless (very funny). And, now, she's all up into STEM and wants to be an engineer. I'm just a dumb-ass mechanical/piping designer...

We are having Three Bean Veggie Chili, it's damn cold and chili weather. I'll have wine too. My cat and dog are curled up on the couch, they hate the cold. 

There's a warm up starting mid-week and I can't wait. 

*editing to add I saw Instant Pot mentioned (I think?) and I love mine. 

Wine is happening now. :my_shy:

I was making scrambled eggs the other day and upon suggestion I added some chopped ham.  Then, because I am evil (and my parents were away), I added food colouring to turn it into green eggs and ham.  My siblings were not amused.

The thermometer hit 41C outside yesterday.  And pointing an infrared thermometer at the ground in the sun read 53.  Then there was a brief thunderstorm and some rain and it cooled off a bit.  Kinda cloudy today so it won't be so bad.

Some dolls are creepy and the ones shown in this thread are particularly creepy.

Veggie daughter is making vegetarian pad Thai tonight, yum.

Last night husband made a potato, mince meat, tomato, spinach and ricotta roll.

Every one liked it, I did not get any due to food intolerances, unfortunately.  It looked good and smelled good while I ate my microwaved ready meal. :my_confused:

Ooo I also want to get in on shameless cat pictures.
IMG_7909.JPG

This is Sonny. It's been ridiculously cold and he's figured out the dryer is warm.

Did someone say cat pictures? Mine is currently broken. Fell asleep mid-lick with a back leg stuck behind his head. He’s cute but not very bright.

5AC94065-D889-4CEF-8878-9CE5CD3849A6.thumb.jpeg.40df63e1f68f6cfe1ffc2a129e01246d.jpeg

@Blahblah you have a cat related to my big stupid. Not sure if he's ever fallen asleep mid-lick but he falls off things a lot. The cat tree, the back of the recliner, chairs, countertops. He's absolutely gorgeous but dumb as the proverbial box of rocks. He also leads an extremely stressful life

luke is stressed.jpg

Kitties??? Our kitten died a few weeks ago, but we were finally able to bring a new cat into our lives. I thought we’d wait longer, but it’s hard when your arms are empty, I guess. We named her Zipper  just like the kitten, since none of us were able to stop calling her that. (Her “official” name is Abigail Adams!) She’s a two year old rescue kitty. 

CB28468E-51BE-468C-AE16-F3C1B6632994.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

I LOVE her name @littlemommy. I actually just finished the John Adams HBO series. It was SO GOOD. 

I read a book once about Abigail Adams that had a line that I use far too often for my daughter—“(Abby), you will either be an amazing or a terrible woman.”  I’m paraphrasing, because I can’t remember the exact wording, but I loved it. 

Kitty and puppy pictures :tw_love:

4 hours ago, littlemommy said:

Kitties??? Our kitten died a few weeks ago, but we were finally able to bring a new cat into our lives. I thought we’d wait longer, but it’s hard when your arms are empty, I guess. We named her Zipper  just like the kitten, since none of us were able to stop calling her that. (Her “official” name is Abigail Adams!) She’s a two year old rescue kitty. 

CB28468E-51BE-468C-AE16-F3C1B6632994.jpeg

I'm so sorry you lost a cat.  It is always hard.  Zipper (or Abigail) is beautiful.  Those eyes! And she is so fluffy that I can't see her paws!

I love that this thread turned into cat pictures. My cat is loving the fire we have on lately.. She's warming her asshole before shoving it in the next person's face.. :pb_rollseyes:

26735142_10100256210729018_1711295131_o.jpg

So many up-side-down cats!  In the Greyhound world we call that cockroaching  or roaching for short.  My hounds do it but I don't have pictures of them in that position.   They usually turn right-side-up if they anticipate a me getting a photo of them looking less than aristocratic.  

Here are some examples though.  (If the link doesn't work just google "greyhounds roaching images.")

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVw5y7FNa.twA6lhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExZzQ0YmY1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=greyhounds+roaching&fr=mcafee

On 1/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, bea said:

I got an InstantPot for Christmas and I swear to the FSM it’s changing my life. Pressure cookers are AMAZING. sautéed onion and garlic (you can sauté right in it), 1.5lb FROZEN SOLID stew meat, broth, pressure cook for 35 min, put in potatoes and veggies, pressure cook for another 15, and voila - beef stew. It takes a bit to build up enough steam to pressure cook, but frozen meat, people. I don’t have to pull something out in the morning or mess with the microwave to defrost. Made frozen chicken breasts and sweet potatoes at the same time last night.

YES! I got an Instant Pot a few months ago, and it is life-changing. I have the 8-quart kind because I have rather a lot of children. I once made 12 lbs of pulled pork in an hour. The pork was thawed, but still.... an hour. And it was amazing pulled pork. Not dry or weird. I also make big batches of hard-boiled eggs in it because my kids like those for breakfast. Even fresh eggs peel super easy when pressure cooked. I've done chili using dry beans and frozen ground beef. Lots of stews. Chicken and noodles.

Last night I wanted soup because it was cold and rainy out. Threw a bunch of stuff in the pot and had veggie soup in 25 minutes that tasted like it had simmered for hours.

Is it the cat or the picture that is shameless?  Or both?

I don’t have cats (Dad is allergic) but I have guinea pigs. This is from a few months ago. The brown one right in the corner is the most scaredy I’ve ever had. Sometimes walking past the cage or even LOOKING at her for more than two seconds terrifies her. Fool. I bring you FOOD, how can I be scary??

8272D6EA-718E-4D80-A58E-D3B7C532A90A.thumb.jpeg.e20d94357d6cc6e40a8dfb0604c5d047.jpeg

Archived