IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 2: On to the Honeymoon Somewhere Warm

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, freejugar said:

Something very interesting to me, was that Sarah didn't know about the drone beforehand. That means the Maxwells weren't informed of the wedding schedule!

No.  Sarah wants to claim that she wasn't informed of the drone cutsyness in advance.  'Twas so funny and inventive (although it has been done before.) 

If it were a surprise for Sarah, perhaps that was because she would have grassed on Joe and Jesse to Steve. 

Or WTF! Everything about Maxhell will always be a mystery of colossal dysfunction.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew one of the best men was up to something when I saw a pair of scissors in his back pocket.

Or maybe they were meant as a prop for when Pa Bontrager did his stevie scrotum speech? Ouch....

Ok I just counted all the weddings I've been to between 2000 and 2014 and it's 26! I was so close to my estimation off the top of my head (25). This is probably why I always have advice for newly engaged couples. Because I saw so many weddings in a short period of time and I was in quite a few of them. I know what usually works well and what usually doesn't. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe it's a newer thing? I've been to so many weddings (more than once I had four weddings to go to in one year) from 2000 to present. If I sit and count them all out, I would guess that I went to 25 weddings in the past 17 years and most took place in the Midwest and they all had full meals. Some were back yard bbqs and some were formal with everything in between. It's probably a more modern thing to always have a meal. 

I definitely think it is a more modern custom to have a meal, and it goes along with the increased extravagance of weddings in general. When my sisters were getting married, punch, cake and mints in the church fellowship hall was pretty standard for every wedding I had ever been to. By the time I got married, the church fellowship hall reception was definitely less common and even though that's what we had, we also had more food (little sandwiches, groom's cake, etc) than my sisters did.  No alcohol for any of us, of course, not in the church building.

I have played for a lot of weddings--it's in the hundreds over the past 30 years--and I have definitely seen an increase in opulence, though it's also fair to say that people who are hiring a string quartet for their wedding are probably not getting married on a shoestring anyway.

16 minutes ago, VVV said:

I definitely think it is a more modern custom to have a meal, and it goes along with the increased extravagance of weddings in general. When my sisters were getting married, punch, cake and mints in the church fellowship hall was pretty standard for every wedding I had ever been to. By the time I got married, the church fellowship hall reception was definitely less common and even though that's what we had, we also had more food (little sandwiches, groom's cake, etc) than my sisters did.  No alcohol for any of us, of course, not in the church building.

I have played for a lot of weddings--it's in the hundreds over the past 30 years--and I have definitely seen an increase in opulence, though it's also fair to say that people who are hiring a string quartet for their wedding are probably not getting married on a shoestring anyway.

See I've been to very casual weddings in farm country. There was nothing fancy but there was always a lot of food. I've been to a wedding in a field and everyone sat on hay bales! I like both fancy and casual weddings. 

Oh my, hello Steve!!! You've been reading here haven't you.

Nathan and Melanie's wedding post from the blog is gone, gone, gone. When you click on the link, you get the plan for salvation. Are you intimating that some of us won't get past the pearly gates? Well Steve, who gave you the right to presume that I won't?

Not that I've been churched since the cradle, not that I pray every day morning, noon and night? Not that I allowed my children to interact with people of all persuasions, beliefs and colors? 

WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!

I'm exhausted Steve otherwise I'd give you a very fair portion of my mind, but I've been sitting at my moms beside for 8/10 hours a day since she suffered a major GI bleed and is in AFIB. Did you sit at your moms side when she was dying? Did you hold her hand and tell her you loved her and that her wishes would be honored? My mom is one of the most Godly women I've ever met. She loves the Lord and knows where she is going should the Lord call her to leave this plane of existence. 

Today I took off. Stress migraine. Did God give that to me because I didn't go to see her and sit with her?

As Mom would say (like she does about DJT) Piss off, you're an asshole. 

The Maxwells do conceptualise the “missing” children between Sarah and Joseph as individuals who should be in their family and, being the Maxwells, they mourn for them. It’s been mentioned by multiple times.

23 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

Nathan and Melanie's wedding post from the blog is gone, gone, gone. When you click on the link, you get the plan for salvation. Are you intimating that some of us won't get past the pearly gates? Well Steve, who gave you the right to presume that I won't?

It’s just as well web archive is forever, then:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020603150842/http://titus2.com/wedding/index.html

16 minutes ago, lilith said:

The Maxwells do conceptualise the “missing” children between Sarah and Joseph as individuals who should be in their family and, being the Maxwells, they mourn for them. It’s been mentioned by multiple times.

But has Teri ever truly mourned them? Because I can just imagine them not taking that break and have 11 little Maxwells and Teri being even more depressed. 

18 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

I've been sitting at my moms beside for 8/10 hours a day since she suffered a major GI bleed and is in AFIB. Did you sit at your moms side when she was dying? Did you hold her hand and tell her you loved her and that her wishes would be honored? My mom is one of the most Godly women I've ever met. She loves the Lord and knows where she is going should the Lord call her to leave this plane of existence. 

I am so very sorry.  My thoughts are with you and your mother.  If it is her time to go, I hope it is peaceful and pain-free.  And feel confident that she knows you love her and are holding her hand.

No, I do not think Steve has ever done any of that heavy lifting.  He would not know what we are talking about.

Nathan and Melanie's wedding post from the blog is gone, gone, gone. When you click on the link, you get the plan for salvation.

Yes, so it is.  Oh Stevie.  Look to your own salvation.  If there is a God, she might sling you into the hell you believe in!

Steve - Thou hast not the courage of your convictions.  Thou swiffers the evidence of thy stupidity and false witness without shame.  And thou most definitely readeth here!  

We at Free Jinger art not the Beast, thou shivering selfish excuse for humanity.  Hang thy head in shame for reading and rejecting our common sense criticisms of thy hypocrisy -and stupidity.

Matthew 23:27.  "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees Maxwells, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness."

Yeah, that is Maxhell.

Re the big reversal shebang at the wedding: I am eternally grateful that the liturgy of my Roman Catholic nuptial Mass had no room for a mention of what my parents were most likely doing on Valentine’s Day of 1952. 

Re the bridesmaids’ dresses:  The tee-shirty fabric makes them look a bit cazh for a wedding in which the bride’s gown has lace and glitter. I wore one of the same color and a somewhat similar cut as a bridesmaid back in 1981, but it was made of crepe, which made it “dressier,” If that makes any sense. These knit maxi dresses are perfectly fine, but are the kind of thing the young women I know would wear to a more casual social event, such as an evening house party or an open mic night. 

I like the bouquets, and I like the color of the dresses—just not together. I think they clash rather than harmonize.

14 minutes ago, Hane said:

Re the big reversal shebang at the wedding: I am eternally grateful that the liturgy of my Roman Catholic nuptial Mass had no room for a mention of what my parents were most likely doing on Valentine’s Day of 1952. 

:handsex:

Melanie looks done with this shit. And not pregant (yay!).

I agree that was definitely NOT a first kiss. They have practiced for sure.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

We at Free Jinger art not the Beast, thou shivering selfish excuse for humanity.  Hang thy head in shame for reading and rejecting our common sense criticisms of thy hypocrisy -and stupidity.

Matthew 23:27.  "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees Maxwells, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness."

Beige sepulchres.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But has Teri ever truly mourned them? Because I can just imagine them not taking that break and have 11 little Maxwells and Teri being even more depressed. 

I think I’ve only heard/read Steve and Sarah bemoaning their absence. I’m sure that deep down Teri is grateful she got that 7 years off from procreation.

8 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Re: the bridesmaids and going in opposite order...

Oh geesh, Sarah!

First, this should have been worked out at the rehearsal. Has homeschooling rendered them so helpless that they can't remember their place in line?? 

Second: ...

Third, Chelsy could easily have made a list "Order of entry - Bridesmaids 1 through 46." 

See another thing they don't learn by homeschooling; how to stand in line!

Also :laughing-rolling: at bridesmaids 1 to 46. :laughing-rolling:

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always think the "or this person wouldn't be here today" argument from quiverfull fundies is bizarre. If the person was never born you wouldn't know what you are missing so how could anyone be sad?! Are they also sad because that one time back in 1990 they decided not to have sex and it could have resulted in another child? Of course not! Fundies are weird AF. 

YES to this x 1000!!! I met my headship when we were in college (and he is truly, TRULY wonderful, and I love being married to him), but in later years, I regretted choosing my undergrad, and I have said that to friends. And they say, "but you wouldn't have met (headship)!" and it's like....yeah! And he wouldn't have met me! We would have met other people or maybe not? But we couldn't be sad about missing each other because we wouldn't have KNOWN....

They thought I was very strange and unromantic for saying that. *shoulder shrug*

Read the body language in this photo. These are two people who have kissed before and are excited to be kissing again.

Read between the lines that no one is going on and on about what a blessing this first, pure kiss is to witness. They know.

(And of course I am completely fine (and relieved) that two adult humans pledging their lives to each other have kissed before that moment....I just think it's interesting to see how they handle it when people haven't followed the expectation. Just polite silence.)

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.06.14 AM.png

I still can't get over the phrase "one of the best men". :P

I have never been at a wedding rehearsal.  And the only fictional one I've seen didn't actually show any rehearsing, just a speech by the father of the bride who's also the groom's foster-dad, the best man trying to propose to his girlfriend and getting turned down, and the processional-singer's sister (who attended in the place of a boyfriend who'd turned out to be married to someone else) had her first one night stand, with a time-travelling ex-assassin.  Unfortunately they didn't rehearse the wedding being attacked by interdimensional Nazis.

(It makes more sense in context.  The context is the processional-singer is Supergirl.)

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Steve - Thou hast not the courage of your convictions.  Thou swiffers the evidence of thy stupidity and false witness without shame.  And thou most definitely readeth here!  

:pb_lol: I totally read this in Tyne Daly’s voice. 

And to whomever said that the Maxwells have “creepy, creepy” ties to the Buckinghams: :pb_rollseyes: those ties are probably one of the least creepy things about the Maxwells. 

20 minutes ago, Lea said:

Read the body language in this photo. These are two people who have kissed before and are excited to be kissing again.

Read between the lines that no one is going on and on about what a blessing this first, pure kiss is to witness. They know.

(And of course I am completely fine (and relieved) that two adult humans pledging their lives to each other have kissed before that moment....I just think it's interesting to see how they handle it when people haven't followed the expectation. Just polite silence.)

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.06.14 AM.png

I’m sure it’s the opposite of polite silence in Maxhell. Premarital kissing would have been met with family weeping and praying and fasting and weeping and gnashing of teeth and passive aggressive prayers directed towards the Bontragers and more weeping and more fasting......

I hope Steve doesn’t hold it against Chelsy and take it out on her forever, but I bet he will. I can see Sarah being a bitch about it too (if that bit of information was allowed to soil her virgin ears).

But I absolutely agree - the fact they haven’t gone on and on about it being the first kiss is highly significant. That combined with their body language and the Bontragers lax attitude towards chaperonage makes me pretty certain they kissed before the wedding. And good for them!

Sarah should have been more appreciative of the gap between her and Joseph.  Since, she apparently "mothered" the reversals more than Teri did.

I'm pretty sure Teri and Steve kissed before getting married. Just like the Duggar parents and Bates parents. I find it annoying that all of these fundies have these extremely high expectations of their children that they never actually followed themselves. 

I'm kind of hoping kissing before marriage becomes more common for fundies. Josh Harris has now admitted to some mistakes in his book, the Bontragers and some other fundies aren't following the courtship model to a T any longer, and some other fundies have kissed before marriage recently (Ethan Plath and Olivia Meggs kissed in their engagement pics). I think the whole courtship model is beyond fucked up, but the no touch courtships have taken it to even higher level of fucked up that I hope dies out. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived