IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 2: On to the Honeymoon Somewhere Warm

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, petrushka said:

I guess they felt with a mid afternoon reception that they didn't need to do much more.

I went to a mid afternoon wedding reception and it was a full sit down meal.  Does anyone know how many people were at the reception. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omg look at Chelsy's fingers! She is practically clawing him! And Sarah didn't say it was their first kiss....

IMG_6082.PNG

23 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I went to a mid afternoon wedding reception and it was a full sit down meal.  Does anyone know how many people were at the reception. 

I think someone may have mentioned 500? But fundies always count every last baby and toddler it seems so you know a decent amount of that 500 are 3 and under. Meaning they didn't need a seat of their own and probably didn't eat much. 

53 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Omg look at Chelsy's fingers! She is practically clawing him! And Sarah didn't say it was their first kiss....

IMG_6082.PNG

I think someone may have mentioned 500? But fundies always count every last baby and toddler it seems so you know a decent amount of that 500 are 3 and under. Meaning they didn't need a seat of their own and probably didn't eat much. 

Each of the long table units in the Hall appeared to seat 32. There are 9 full table units  and one kinda half-table, so 9.5 tables x 32 seats = 304.

Personal note: I dearly love Mexican-style  cuisine with the YUUGE exception of taco soup! The ingredients cool off at alarmingly different rates, NOBODY gets the seasoning right, and there are annoying things like acute-angled pieces of corn chips to fall off your spoon and splash broth on you.

And speaking of which:  a tomato-broth based soup for people in wedding attire? As some would say, “What’re ya, nuts?”

I MEAN: not for nothing is “Italian wedding soup” usually not tomato based!!! LOL

If I were going to serve a soup supper it would be chicken-broth based or cream based like potato. Nice calm cubes of ham (or chicken) and easy clean-up of spills.

Oh Judgy C, I am judging you and you are coming out wanting! :pufff:

Sarah, had to bring up about Mr. Bontrager's speech.  Sarah, it isn't the fact that Stevhovah had a vasectomy and a reversal a few years later that people snark on.  It is the way, it was gone about (all about Steve). I specifically mean that Teri needed to have been on antidepressants before the reversal, during her pregnancies, and very closely monitored by an accredited physician, before and during pregnancy and postpartum.  

Oh Sarah! You little hipster! Such daring language: "They also made sure to practice the whole-walking-down-the-aisle thing."

Ga....these forks redefine DULL.

And a new "exercise" mat for Christmas? Wow. Is that a "yoga" mat to the rest of humanity?

Free Arnold the cat!

Sarah says the ‘single and married bridesmaids...’ Is there another type? I would assume ‘bridesmaids’ would separate...the bridesmaids....from the mom’s who got done up later. But, I am clearly not as biblically educated as Sarah so she must know something I don’t.

10 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Sarah says the ‘single and married bridesmaids...’ Is there another type? I would assume ‘bridesmaids’ would separate...the bridesmaids....from the mom’s who got done up later. But, I am clearly not as biblically educated as Sarah so she must know something I don’t.

The other type is the "mommies."  Ugh.

What is up with the RUNNING at the "send-off"?  WHY do they do this?

My thoughts on the wedding post...

It sounded like the guests crossed a mountain by oxen when she used the word "traversed."  That whole post...I can't even.  She writes like a third grader.

The guests must have been starving.  We have more than that for dinner every night.  I know all weddings are different, but I'm used to Italian weddings.  My nephew just got married two months ago.  First we had the hors d'oeuvres which was a meal in itself.  It was buffet style with every Italian food you could think of-baked stuffed shells, veal parmigiana, Italian wedding soup, pork roast, meatballs...  Four food tables filled with different Italian foods, and some American foods like shrimp cocktail, fried chicken, rice dishes, veggies, etc  Then we went on the roof of the venue for family pictures.  We traveled for this wedding because that's where the bride was from.  The roof overlooked the Catskill mountains.  After that we had the sit down meal which was salmon and filet mignon.  It was also open bar.  We also had cake, Italian pastries, Italian cookies, and regular and Italian coffee.  The Maxwells and the Bontragers aren't broke.  They couldn't do any better than taco soup and cheesecake??? 

That first kiss looked like they kissed before.  It also looked like they were ready to get it on right then and there. 

John looked very happy when he walked down the aisle as a married man.  I never saw that kind of joy in any previous pictures of him.  I hope they move to Iowa.  There is an engagement article in the Iowa local news that said he is a real estate agent and has an irrigation business.  He'd probably have more irrigation work in Iowa than where he lives now. 

3 hours ago, petrushka said:

So they served only taco soup and cheesecake at the reception.  Thought they could have put out a little more food than that, although it was probably tastier than the brown and beige rehearsal dinner.  I guess they felt with a mid afternoon reception that they didn't need to do much more.

Around here when it's a step up from mints and ice cream in the winter, generally something hot, then I'd say it's a major upgrade!

It seems though it'll be inevitable we'll have our traditional FJ discussion of what food is and isn't appropriate at weddings, those with huge buffets (and I'm one of them) confused by receptions with very little, though this one is hardly comparable.

37 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

My thoughts on the wedding post...

It sounded like the guests crossed a mountain by oxen when she used the word "traversed."  That whole post...I can't even.  She writes like a third grader.

That first kiss looked like they kissed before.  It also looked like they were ready to get it on right then and there. 

John looked very happy when he walked down the aisle as a married man.  I never saw that kind of joy in any previous pictures of him.  I hope they move to Iowa.  There is an engagement article in the Iowa local news that said he is a real estate agent and has an irrigation business.  He'd probably have more irrigation work in Iowa than where he lives now. 

Love "crossed the mountain by oxen..." I can just see the little girls in Prairie Dress and Ma and Pa staring into their phones.... lol

Third Grade is about right.

They kissed like they knew how it was done. Nice rebellion there, John! Proud of you!

On moving... don't hold your breath.

How did I miss the INFLATABLE in the truck??? Dear God the photo makes it almost phallic!

Also, I saw the forum for Joe's failed courtship--I'd totally forgotten (that's how boring they all are!).

Now when will they buy out a neighbor so Jesse can get married?

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can't snark on their food because it's far more than what so many fundies offer at their weddings. 

It's more than many couple, period, offer. I've been to all sorts of wedding where the reception is something akin to Hawaiian punch and mixed nuts. It's all about priorities.

3 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

It's more than many couple, period, offer. I've been to all sorts of wedding where the reception is something akin to Hawaiian punch and mixed nuts. It's all about priorities.

I've been to SO MANY weddings in my lifetime and I swear I've never been to a wedding that didn't serve a meal. Of course all the meals were very different but they were all full meals. So I admit I'm always amazed when I hear about a nuts and mints wedding reception. 

"These are my amazing sisters: playing games with the little kids at the reception."

FFS, couldn't these bridesmaids get one afternoon off from babysitting their nieces and nephews? They should have been getting to know the nice Mennonite bachelor farmers at the reception.

And I totally think this was NOT Chelsy and John's first kiss. If it had been, it would have been mentioned.

I see on the Bontragers' post about their double wedding, "first kisses" was highlighted.

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I've been to SO MANY weddings in my lifetime and I swear I've never been to a wedding that didn't serve a meal. Of course all the meals were very different but they were all full meals. So I admit I'm always amazed when I hear about a nuts and mints wedding reception. 

Same with me. I been to a few where I didn't care for the meal but the cocktail hour food was very filling. 

The Bontragers are leaving on a THREE MONTH singing tour? That's even longer than most of the Rod singing trips. I wonder if any of the married boys will meet up and bring their wives for some singing. J&C will probably glued to eachother for the first few months so I don't know if they will meet up with the Bontragers but they might if they can cling to one another the whole time. 

So how do you think their fisrt kiss happened? When they were at the Bontragers and the family wasn't keeping close eyes on them? Or maybe when they were working onthe house together and Allison was around but not the type to watch their every move? 

All John needs is some matching black eyeliner to coordinate with Chelsea.  The wailing and gnashing of teeth from Teri & Steve and the passive aggressive swipes from Sarah would be priceless

I do love her look, although it would fit more for a spring or summer wedding. I hope they are happy in life and move away from Maxwell at some time in the future.

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So how do you think their fisrt kiss happened? When they were at the Bontragers and the family wasn't keeping close eyes on them? Or maybe when they were working onthe house together and Allison was around but not the type to watch their every move? 

I’ve been following the bontragers for a long time now, and I remember reading in one of their blogs, I don’t recall which one, that they do allow unmarried couples to be alone together, and don’t require chaperones.  Those two could have been getting it on  all over the Midwest.

Regarding the wedding food, the Bontragers are both farmers and of Mennonite descent, both of which would traditionally feed their guests a lot more than soup and cheesecake.  I imagine Sarah mentioned those two things because the meal centered around them, not because they were all that was offered.

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Bontragers are leaving on a THREE MONTH singing tour? That's even longer than most of the Rod singing trips. I wonder if any of the married boys will meet up and bring their wives for some singing. J&C will probably glued to eachother for the first few months so I don't know if they will meet up with the Bontragers but they might if they can cling to one another the whole time. 

According to one of the Bontrager blogs, they did at least one IA-->KS 5 hour drive together without a chaperone. Who knows what kind of friskiness ensued at a stoplight or two.

And I think their long winter singing tour usually involves visiting some of the family in Florida. And I though Cassidy and whatever brother she's married to were joining the Bontrager singing group.

If I served soup at a wedding, I'd round it out with large platters of raw vegetables and baskets of bread on each table - maybe three per table. Soup is a casual meal; the side items could be served family style. 

I keep reminding myself that the reception probably was very short. Maybe the guests basically ate, grabbed their coats and left. We have made a few stops at McDonald's after receptions where the food was a little sparse. Maybe these guests did that.  One time, we didn't even get food because by the time we got to the buffet line (it was heavy hors-d'oeuvres only) there was NO FOOD LEFT.  This was because, instead of filling one small plate, as expected, some people were taking three and four plates at a time. Of course, if you plan your reception at supper time, people are going to expect supper. 

My daughter's reception was five hours long  because that is how long we had the evil DJ booked for. About midway through the dancing, we had carts rolled out and served snack mix, cheese and crackers, etc; mainly because I know *I* love a snack late in the evening. :pb_biggrin: Her reception was alcohol free but a big hit was the giant coolers we rolled out at the same time. They were full of glass bottled soda that had been sitting on ice for mosr of the evening.   It was really great on a hot August night and some of the reception pictures are really cute - the wedding party in formal wear, dancing while chugging classic coke. The little kids at the party loved it too.  

I guess my point is that for a short reception, I can overlook a small meal. 

Sorry for rambling. I am putting off my Monday laundry. 

On 1/6/2018 at 10:42 AM, Palimpsest said:

the Maxwells seem to have been so traumatised by this disaster that they have had self-catered buffet-style rehearsal dinners ever since!

And restaurants throughout Kansas and Iowa have thanked their lucky stars! 

"These are my amazing sisters: playing games with the little kids at the reception."
FFS, couldn't these bridesmaids get one afternoon off from babysitting their nieces and nephews? They should have been getting to know the nice Mennonite bachelor farmers at the reception.

Honestly, I don’t think they would have been comfortable doing that, great conversationalists notwithstanding. I think that watching the kids is “their element,” and being able to hide behind the label of “serving others” allows them to not have to engage with that discomfort in a guilt-free way.

Well at least it seems that John didn’t do a stupid dip-kiss with Chelsy like Joseph did with Elissa! 

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Same with me. I been to a few where I didn't care for the meal but the cocktail hour food was very filling. 

Church basement or fellowship hall for the reception, punch, cake, mixed notes mints for the food. Very normal, small town Midwest wedding. Yes, even college graduates. Even professionals. I've been to them all.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived