IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

What is this comment? 

la110917wtfanynflicka.JPG.8b91cf42c958e153670e1f4a46e55fe5.JPG

Why couldn't she handle a part-time job emotionally? Women have always worked. Seriously, unless she has something like Addison's or similar, her adrenal glands are fine. If you have social anxiety or something, admit that, but don't sit there saying it's because you are a woman that you cannot get a job or hold one. Get over yourself, check your privilege, and gain some empathy. If Flicka's house burned a few years ago and they've had to move 8 times in 3 years then I'd say that's probably not an "other" stress, that's likely her main stress. That's a huge, major emotional, mental and physical strain on anyone. Moving once is stressful. Moving 2-3 times a year would be crazy stressful. Add a burned down house and I can't imagine the stress. That alone is a huge emotional and mental stress on anyone. Don't blame working for the stress, blame the circumstances outside your control. I'd feel more sorry for Flicka, but then I remember other comments she's made on Lori's page that women are useless, only good for sex and cooking and cleaning, and that Lori is right about most things. 

How long until this comment by Paula is deleted? And no, Jennifer, vaccines do not cancer, please don't homeschool those kids in your picture for their sake. 

la111117g.JPG.de75ec825c47895ef975e86d2217ceed.JPG

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about cancer and vaccine is both entertaining and troubling to watch. I just remember in one of my first grad classes one of my professors (who has years of experience and is well respected) just dead panned "no vaccines do not cause autism, there is no real scientific proof of it." Tbh at this point people aren't really sure what causes it but it's an insult to autistic individuals when a person is more afraid of that than their child dying of a disease. Okay small rant over. 

For goodness sakes we have an aging population. Geriatric psychology is a rising field for a reason. Life expectancy is increasing despite "more" cancer diagnosis. 

One theory I read about Autism is that somehow the brain wiring gets scrambled in utero. IF I remember right...it's been awhile...one of the things they looked at was gestational age at birth and % of autism cases. Supposedly, it takes 40 weeks for the brain to be properly wired. Birth prior to that sort of arrests that wiring process because the child has to cope with the outside world before it is ready. Autism, ADD, ADHD, etc. is BELIEVED to be caused by the brain wiring not ready to cope with the outside world and being forced to. 

It makes sense...I was born a month early and so were my boys...we have issues. My aunt (who died at age 95) was born early, weighed about 4lbs...and talk about attention span of a flea!?! 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: GENETICS PLUS ENVIRONMENT. That goes for just about any disease, with some exceptions. Mental illness, cancer, autism... it all has to do with a combination of nature and nurture. Some children with autism seem to have it from birth, others do seem to acquire it during toddler years, but it is still a mystery as to why. LORI NEEDS TO SHUSH.

@dairyfreelife I saw those comments and wondered what in the world they are talking about. I’ve worked with a number of mentally ill individuals in my lifetime and I think everyone of them was able to work in some capacity on a part-time basis. Most of them wanted to work- it provided a sense of routine and purpose. 

@Sarah92 thanks for sharing that link. I don’t get the incredibly narrow world view these people have. These constant overgeneralizations (CBT would be helpful).  My mom worked and so I was a “latchkey” kid (as were my sisters). I understood that she was working to help provide for us. I didn’t feel unwanted or sad or scared or any such nonsense. I went to public school, had (and still have) friends of various backgrounds and beliefs, started a part-time job at 14, got an undergrad and grad degree, and I have been married 18 years, have 2 smart, secure, independent kids, I cook and clean, and still have time for the hubs. It doesn’t always flow together perfectly but I know that right now, our family is in the center of His will for us. 

2 hours ago, fundamentallyfearless said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: GENETICS PLUS ENVIRONMENT. That goes for just about any disease, with some exceptions. Mental illness, cancer, autism... it all has to do with a combination of nature and nurture. Some children with autism seem to have it from birth, others do seem to acquire it during toddler years, but it is still a mystery as to why. LORI NEEDS TO SHUSH.

Sadly, she is going to continue using the topic of illnesses to try and prove her dumb fuck theories. I recall a post where she said something that when she was raising her kids that she didn't know or hear of any kids having autism.

25 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

Sadly, she is going to continue using the topic of illnesses to try and prove her dumb fuck theories. I recall a post where she said something that when she was raising her kids that she didn't know or hear of any kids having autism.

I'm wondering if it's because she raised her children in a bubble and kept them away from any children who may be different? And I find that hard to believe that she didn't hear about it until later. But just because she hadn't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't exist. It has changed in recent years as more research is done, but such is the nature of science. 

Edit: I noticed her comment about unindustrialized nations not having the same rates of certain things as we do. Maybe not but that there life is free from health problems. HIV for example. That's why statistic are rarely as cut in dry as people make them out to be. So much is and should be considered when viewing those number. I wonder if she's had a stats class? 

Twenty five years ago I never saw any people with autism. You know why? Not because they weren’t there, but because I was a kid and self absorbed and completely wrapped up in my own shit. 

Same for Lori, except she was an adult and self absorbed and completely wrapped up in her own shit.

Lori:

When I was growing up, I can't remember anybody with allergies, asthma, or autism.

Right.  Allergies are definitely new, and no one had them back in the fifties.  Same for asthma and autism.  Probably all brought on by feminism. :pb_rollseyes:

Now watch this: 

In one paragraph, she says:

When Steven was young, he was very allergic to poison ivy.

In the very next paragraph, she says:

None of my children had allergies or asthma growing up.  

:pb_eek:

She also believes her "good food" staved off a cat allergy in both of her sons:

Since the boys left home and ate college food, they have both developed an allergy to cats. They never had that when they were home eating my good, healthy food. 

She honestly believes that "college food" made her sons develop a cat allergy.

6 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori:

Right.  Allergies are definitely new, and no one had them back in the fifties.  Same for asthma and autism.  Probably all brought on by feminism. :pb_rollseyes:

Now watch this: 

Does she even have a cat? I mean college food will do a lot to you but I don't think it will make you develop a cat allergy. I've had plenty of it and the worst I've usually gotten was being bloated. Sketchy yes, allergy inducing probably not. 

Just now, Sarah92 said:

Does she even have a cat? 

Unfortunately, she does:

One early morning, I came downstairs and my cat was nipping at my feet. This wasn't a good cat. Actually, he was a mean cat so I went to kick him so he'd stop biting me. Well, he ran away and I kicked the wall instead. Oh, I was in pain. 

A tale of instant karma if there ever was one...

Karma indeed lol. I can almost picture that happening. It's something right out of a movie. I wonder if it was mean or being playful. Kicking it seems like a regularly occurrence though 

3 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Karma indeed lol. I can almost picture that happening. It's something right out of a movie. I wonder if it was mean or being playful. Kicking it seems like a regularly occurrence though 

My cat does the same thing when he wants to play. The karma of the situation with Lori and cat always makes me laugh. I love that cat. He sounds smart. Sad he had to have Lori as his owner. 

I think what Lori really means to say is "I never let my kids hang around with children with autism."  

And we all know The Feminists invented allergies. 

ETA: I am glad Lori's parents never knew anybody with cancer (even though we all know that is a big fat lie). If her parents are as nasty as she is, nobody needs to deal with THEM and cancer.  

29 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori:

Now watch this: 

Lori's children are around my age. All the above existed. Less cases of autism because the spectrum was not really a thing. Only the most severe cases were classified as autism. Everyone I knew got their vaccinations because my home state did not allow philosophical exemptions and still doesn't. Only medical exemptions were permitted. I went to school with a couple children who had asthma and needed regular inhalers. I knew children with food allergies and other various allergies. My mother has had a bee allergy since she was a child and she's only a few years younger than Lori. 

Just because she can't remember doesn't mean they didn't exist. Logic fail once again. Lori cannot logic. 

I am 53 and the allergy queen. If I truly wanted to avoid skin rashes, digestive issues and respiratory issues, I'd have to live like the "boy in the plastic bubble". I had allergy shots as a very little girl...I remember where we were living at the time and we moved from there when I was under 4. An RN lived in the next building over and she gave me my shots. I had them again as an early teenager and as an adult. I try to ignore them as best I can but every spring I end up with some serious respiratory issues...and use Pulmacort and Ventolin for a month or two. 

So, I'm 6 years younger than Lori...and an allergy sufferer most (if not all) of my life. She's full of shit. 

3 hours ago, littlemommy said:

Twenty five years ago I never saw any people with autism. You know why? Not because they weren’t there, but because I was a kid and self absorbed and completely wrapped up in my own shit. 

Same for Lori, except she was an adult and self absorbed and completely wrapped up in her own shit.

Weren't we all? That, and autism is being diagnosed more often, among other things because professionals who deal with children are more aware of the possibility.  And you're right, most of us have outgrown the near-total self-absorption of childhood, that's part of the growing up process. Lori is stuck in permanent childhood, and not in the fun ways. 

4 hours ago, littlemommy said:

That and Lori went to school in the 1960s and early 1970s, when it was still commonplace for families to send children diagnosed with autism (or any disorder that would affect cognition and functioning ability, really...) to institutions. Thank goodness, nowadays children with autism and other issues go to mainstream schools and, for the most part, stay with their families. So what she's really observing is that there are more children living in her community with autism, not necessary that there were fewer children in general with autism when she was growing up. There's also the issue of children that would diagnosed with autism now were diagnosed back then as just low-functioning. Scientific advances in understanding and diagnosing autism has led to more, earlier, and more accurate diagnoses. 

Although, most people would be able to put this all together, but Lori can't get her head out of her butt. 

Aye yi yi....this comment from her lost about "Loving an Addict."

Such a timely post. I’m trying to convince a friend of mine to stay with her husband who is struggling with addiction but she refuses. She has already filed for divorce and is adamant about leaving him. It is so sad since they have three beautiful girls who are really having a hard time with this news. I too thought about printing out Connie’s testimony for her but I think she has her mind made up and doesn’t even want to entertain the thought of staying with him. Just praying at this point that she will see the light, because it will be an irreversible catastrophe for her children if she goes through with it

As if growing up in a household with an addict isn't a catastrophe in and of itself. I'd rather children grow up in a single parent household with that parent healthy, involved, and unharmed than in a two-parent home with an addict--and all that entails. 

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

There's also the issue of children that would diagnosed with autism now were diagnosed back then as just low-functioning. Scientific advances in understanding and diagnosing autism has led to more, earlier, and more accurate diagnoses. 

Although, most people would be able to put this all together, but Lori can't get her head out of her butt. 

Yeah, my daughter was diagnosed on the autism spectrum in first grade (Asperberger's Syndrome). I'm pretty sure that 30 or 40 years ago, she would have just been considered socially awkward or "weird". (A label I've been given more than once, as well! :my_biggrin: )

I'm glad to have an official diagnosis and professional help, so that I can try to help her learn ways to cope with life, and so that her teachers don't just consider her an academically bright kid with behavior problems. They can remind her to use strategies that actually help, instead of just punishing her, like Lori would.

I'm glad for the children of San Diego that Lori stopped teaching!

18 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Yeah, my daughter was diagnosed on the autism spectrum in first grade (Asperberger's Syndrome). I'm pretty sure that 30 or 40 years ago, she would have just been considered socially awkward or "weird". (A label I've been given more than once, as well! :my_biggrin: )

Yeah...I was labeled "weird", had lousy hand-eye coordination (couldn't jump rope or catch a ball), horrible handwriting, disorganized...and smart as hell. I've spent a lot of years improving those things and these days, except for being rather introverted and not terribly social, I'm "normal"...ROFLMAO!!! 

I've even been complimented on my handwriting...as recently as last week. My boss said something to me about it last week as I was making a list. 

*deep breathes* so the addiction one is hard for me and I almost didn't read it. A lot of what she said sounds good and all I guess but for those living with or who have lived with an addict, it's just pretty words. In the last forum, I mentioned that I struggled with my faith. One of the reasons for struggling is seeing my brother's (who is 8 years older) alcoholism.  I'm thinking he's been one for about ten years? Maybe more. I'm 25 and he's been in and out of trouble since I was probably 6. And I was praying even then. 19 years of prayers that often feel unanswered takes a toll.

He's been very ill from his alcoholism multiple times, almost overdosed at the beginning of this year. 

He has two little daughters and I have to say that I'm almost glad that his wife divorced him and took the girls. Not only was their relationship very unhealthy but I can't imagine what it was like to see that addiction as a child. It's been mildly traumatizing for me, I can't imagine what it was like for them. Not all addicts get violent but that doesn't mean the children are safe. My brother can be quite verbally abusive when angry and drunk. If my ex SIL had played the submissive wife and stayed, those poor girls would have see way more shit then they already have. 

I apologize if it seems like I'm over sharing but talking about it more as been part of the healing process. Anyways, Its easy to type those things if you haven't gone through them. It's easy to say when you haven't had to deal with the aftermath. Is God capable of healing? Yes absolutely but do not heap burning coals upon the women desperate to keep their children from seeing their dad shoot up drugs. 

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

One theory I read about Autism is that somehow the brain wiring gets scrambled in utero. IF I remember right...it's been awhile...one of the things they looked at was gestational age at birth and % of autism cases. Supposedly, it takes 40 weeks for the brain to be properly wired. Birth prior to that sort of arrests that wiring process because the child has to cope with the outside world before it is ready. Autism, ADD, ADHD, etc. is BELIEVED to be caused by the brain wiring not ready to cope with the outside world and being forced to. 

It makes sense...I was born a month early and so were my boys...we have issues. My aunt (who died at age 95) was born early, weighed about 4lbs...and talk about attention span of a flea!?! 

I read a really interesting paper a few months ago about a correlation between fever during pregnancy and autism.  Basically, moms who had a fever before 32 weeks were more likely to have a child with autism.  The researchers did point out that it was a correlation and they aren't sure why there is an increased association between the two.  Could be an epigenetic modification?

https://www.nature.com/articles/mp2017119

You didn’t see autism 25yrs ago Lori?  That would be because you, and your bunch of judgemental cronies, will have been far too busy criticising the child’s ‘naughty’ behaviour and mothers lack of parenting, to notice. 

There's a lady about Lori's age in my knit club. She had a daughter on the spectrum. It was rough back then, she said, because not many knew how to deal with them in school. She was a school teacher and poured heart and soul into raising her to navigate life successfully, in addition to raising 3 other kids and tending to a husband and job. She now teaches a special ed Sunday school class at her church. I think she's the neatest woman. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived