IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

I'm thankful for all the working women I know... now. I did stay home with my kids for 18 years (before my ex abandoned us), had the big family (7 kids from adult-preschooler). I was the one who bashed working women, told my kids not to go to college.  (although i did try to educate them thoroughly and we always let them read tons of books most fundies despise) I bought the lie that this was how i pleased God.  I thought only women who had a little home business were ok, and even then it shouldn't take up too much time.  I'm ashamed of myself. I've had to eat my words, humbly apologize to many, including my kids.

Since we were abandoned, my kids (and I) have realized the emotional and psychological trauma we endured, and my kids are skittish around most men. I've grown *extremely* thankful for female dentists, doctors, counselors, church workers, teachers, nurses, etc. I needed them, and I'm glad they are there! My preschool child only trusts her grandfather and brother in law and is terrified of other men. I'm so glad we have a sweet female dentist who talks to her, is gentle, etc.  Ortho is female b/c the two big girls are uncomfy with a man so close to their face... etc.

God has just opened my eyes so much and I'm so grateful to be free of all that weight of legalism and self righteousness.  I was convinced if I didn't do everything perfectly, my kids would be ruined. I thought *I* would be ruined. Glad to be FREE.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

@AlwaysDiscerning no doubt that's what she would say. The poor reviews on her book are signs of being attacked by the world. *Sigh* reading her posts is like riding on one big hypocritical roller coaster. Ups and downs and twists and turns that distort the truth. Maybe add in a few loops because some of the logic requires backflips. Okay maybe I'm being too mean now.

Really, Lori can't cry persecution. Debi Pearl's book, Created to be His Help Meet has 62% 5 stars and only 25% one stars.  She teaches the exact same thing as Lori, so the message is not being persecuted.

Even though I totally disagree with Mrs. Pearl, obviously she is able to convey her message in a gracious way and with some kindness. 

5 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I wonder how Ken would explain his clients trying to manage their practices without working women.Many men do not work as dental or orthodontic assistants. 

Definitely ironic. My dentist is a woman, and her office is entirely staffed by women. I don't think I've ever had a dental assistant that was a man, even as it's more common to see men in nursing jobs. 

Funny how people can overcome their distaste for something when it benefits them. Years ago, I heard about a couple making a fuss that their wedding wouldn't be officiated by a male priest, despite the church they wanted to marry in having both men and women priests on staff. Somehow they managed to overcome this "issue" and accept a female officiant, despite having made a scene, because they still wanted to get married in the pretty church... :pb_rollseyes:

Reader:

I have not taken time to read all comments here,but I feel we need to be careful what we say of God's anointed servants, Man and Woman.

More inexcusable rudeness from Lori:

“Anointed servants” don’t walk in disobedience to God’s Word.

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

“Anointed servants” don’t walk in disobedience to God’s Word.

Sure, they do, Lori.  Every single one of them except Jesus sinned. All you have to do is read the entire Bible to see that it is true.

32 minutes ago, AuntKrazy said:

Sure, they do, Lori.  Every single one of them except Jesus sinned. All you have to do is read the entire Bible to see that it is true.

Did you hear that Noah got drunk? I'm not a gossip though. #speakthetruthinlove :my_angel:

And, now she's on to essential oils, because of course she is! :pb_rollseyes:  

Lori- Anything a doctor prescribes for you is bad/dangerous/only treats the symptoms

Also, Lori- Anything I can find on the internet is a magic unicorn cure-all, and I don't understand why doctors aren't knocking on my door, asking me for medical advice

I think that Lori has disordered eating. She counts the number of potato chips, eats only salads and soups. I also think that she no longer enjoys eating (hence, nobody can enjoy eating). It's a shame, because she can afford all those expensive foods (like $7 a dozen eggs, $11 mayo), but can't really enjoy them.  Kinda sad.

But on another topic, asking @Ken to elaborate on how making money off the backs of working women is totes OK: he won't respond, because he knows that he is a hypocrite.  I have asked on her blog (both the learning (cough cough)  one and  this transformed (not) wife one) on numerous occasions (pretty much for about 6 months straight, whenever his shrew of a wife would talk about working women in an unkind light). My comments never made it.  

Oh, for heaven's sake. Lori, if women really were more 'easily deceived' than men, you'd be the poster child. Is there no expensive,  'natural,' non-doctor recommended 'health claim' you see on the internet that you won't believe? :my_rolleyes:

*I do know that essential oils can be very therapeutic, so I'm not knocking their responsible use at all. But I'm sure Lori thinks they perform miracles. I mean, if black salve can cure skin cancer... :my_dodgy:

3 hours ago, slp said:

I'm thankful for all the working women I know... now. I did stay home with my kids for 18 years (before my ex abandoned us), had the big family (7 kids from adult-preschooler). I was the one who bashed working women, told my kids not to go to college.  (although i did try to educate them thoroughly and we always let them read tons of books most fundies despise) I bought the lie that this was how i pleased God.  I thought only women who had a little home business were ok, and even then it shouldn't take up too much time.  I'm ashamed of myself. I've had to eat my words, humbly apologize to many, including my kids.

Since we were abandoned, my kids (and I) have realized the emotional and psychological trauma we endured, and my kids are skittish around most men. I've grown *extremely* thankful for female dentists, doctors, counselors, church workers, teachers, nurses, etc. I needed them, and I'm glad they are there! My preschool child only trusts her grandfather and brother in law and is terrified of other men. I'm so glad we have a sweet female dentist who talks to her, is gentle, etc.  Ortho is female b/c the two big girls are uncomfy with a man so close to their face... etc.

God has just opened my eyes so much and I'm so grateful to be free of all that weight of legalism and self righteousness.  I was convinced if I didn't do everything perfectly, my kids would be ruined. I thought *I* would be ruined. Glad to be FREE.

Thank you for sharing your story, slp! You sound like a brave person and a wonderful mom. I had an abusive father and to this day still feel more comfortable with women medical professionals. IMO, they are gentler and more in tune with *my* feelings (lol). It's not a hard and fast rule with me, but when I have a choice I'll choose a woman.

I'm glad you found this site and hope your escape from legalism is as smooth as possible. 

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

If she really wants food "the way God intended it" perhaps she should go buy a couple cows to milk and chickens for eggs, and plant a big garden to grow all the stuff for those big salads. 

Honestly, if she just lives on salads, she probably COULD grow all her own food for a big portion of the year, considering where she lives. She might have to get off the computer  and get her fingers dirty once in a while, but she could easily do it with all the time she has at home.

She once wrote about how she'd love to have a cow in her backyard, in order to be able to drink milk as natural as possible. I had to laugh.

That cow would deposit so much "natural" "organic" waste in her yard, it would negate all of the clean eating she does. Can you imagine how filthy it would be to have a cow on a 1/4 acre lot in a suburb? Who would shovel all that poop? Where would they put it? What about the smell? How would she feed the cow? How would she get the milk pasturized? If she planned on drinking it raw, she'd better keep that cow's stall clean (even then, I wouldn't)

4 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Joel Osteen

TD Jakes

Charles Stanley

Joseph Prince

Kenneth Copeland

Creflo Dollar

Honestly, I don't really have a problem because many of these pastors have made most of their money with book deals etc. I don't care for Joel Osteen, but he doesn't even take a salary from his church.

We have overpaid pro athletes, celebrities and congress members,, yet it is like a sin for a pastor to be well off.  

While it's true that pro athletes, etc., make obscene amounts of money, they don't make a living selling the moral high ground in mega churches.

Joel Osteen wouldn't allow his church to be used as a shelter during Hurricane Harvey. He had plenty of excuses as to why he wouldn't. Initially his staff even turned people away. He eventually caved to public pressure and opened his church. Where was his Christian charity? If you're making exorbitant amounts of money teaching Christian beliefs, you should embody those beliefs.

Creflo Dollar is as shady as his name sounds. He actually had the nerve to ask god for a jet. 

I don't think it's a sin that they're well off but I do find it highly suspect. It's a business not Christianity. 

4 hours ago, December said:

Definitely ironic. My dentist is a woman, and her office is entirely staffed by women. I don't think I've ever had a dental assistant that was a man, even as it's more common to see men in nursing jobs. 

Funny how people can overcome their distaste for something when it benefits them. Years ago, I heard about a couple making a fuss that their wedding wouldn't be officiated by a male priest, despite the church they wanted to marry in having both men and women priests on staff. Somehow they managed to overcome this "issue" and accept a female officiant, despite having made a scene, because they still wanted to get married in the pretty church... :pb_rollseyes:

I went to a dentist several years back who had a male office assistant who also had dental assistant training. He would fill whenever the other dental assistants who were all female were out.  My cousin works as a dental assistant and the practice is owned by a husband and wife dental team. She posts workplace pictures on Facebook and it's usually the male dentist and another guy in the pics. The staff is majority women. I bet Lori would hate my cousin's bosses especially because the wife is also a dentist and has joint business with her husband.

Years ago, I encountered a fundie lite woman who homeschooled her kids. She didn't like another homeschooling family because the mother in that family was a pastor at another church alongside her husband. A friend of mine is Episcopalian and she told me about how her aunt stopped left the Episcopal church because of women priests.

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

Thank you for sharing your story, slp! You sound like a brave person and a wonderful mom. I had an abusive father and to this day still feel more comfortable with women medical professionals. IMO, they are gentler and more in tune with *my* feelings (lol). It's not a hard and fast rule with me, but when I have a choice I'll choose a woman.

I'm glad you found this site and hope your escape from legalism is as smooth as possible. 

I have actually had the opposite experience for some reason with my OB/GYN doctors as weird as that sounds. It was the male doctors who actually listened to me and seemed less dismissive and more helpful. However, I have had female doctors in different fields of medicine that have been great. It is nice that it's not just all white males and we have a choice and a variety of races, cultures, sexes, etc in the field of medicine. Of course, could be much more diverse than it is currently. 

However, someone abused, I can 100% empathize with feeling uncomfortable with men you don't know. It's nice that you are not forced to be alone with men for your healthcare. This is something Lori will never even try to understand. I think it was her who once said something to the effect of women abused as children need to get over it? It was either her or someone on her page that she didn't delete. 

1 hour ago, dairyfreelife said:

I have actually had the opposite experience for some reason with my OB/GYN doctors as weird as that sounds. It was the male doctors who actually listened to me and seemed less dismissive and more helpful. However, I have had female doctors in different fields of medicine that have been great. It is nice that it's not just all white males and we have a choice and a variety of races, cultures, sexes, etc in the field of medicine. Of course, could be much more diverse than it is currently. 

However, someone abused, I can 100% empathize with feeling uncomfortable with men you don't know. It's nice that you are not forced to be alone with men for your healthcare. This is something Lori will never even try to understand. I think it was her who once said something to the effect of women abused as children need to get over it? It was either her or someone on her page that she didn't delete. 

I don't know if someone on her page said it, but I'm pretty sure I remember Ken saying something to that effect, possibly right here on FJ during his brief but very enlightening sojourn with us.

@SuperNova I don’t disagree with you, however, I won’t criticize Osteen for his reluctance to use his church as a shelter. 

In my previous job, employees were required to provide emergency shelter duties and my 12 hour shift was an eye opener (a hurricane on the east last).  Things like manpower, nursing, safety and security, ensuring sex offenders aren’t admitted, ensuring protective orders aren’t violated, handling substance abuse or mental health crises, feeding people, ensuring no weapons are brought gut in, etc. The list goes on and on. And then you have to consider liability and damages. 

I do think he could have been more proactive. But honestly, I wouldn’t volunteer to do another emergency shelter shift. 

I’m not sure about orthodontical training in America, but surely orthodontists have some basic medical training, especially in pharmacology? They can write scripts, can’t they? How on earth can Ken put up with all Lori’s new age snake oil passions without pointing out that conventional medicine usually has a saved and more effective alternative?

I’m sure if when he was in practice he had given his patients a whiff of essential oil instead of novacain they would not have been happy.

3 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

@SuperNova I don’t disagree with you, however, I won’t criticize Osteen for his reluctance to use his church as a shelter. 

In my previous job, employees were required to provide emergency shelter duties and my 12 hour shift was an eye opener (a hurricane on the east last).  Things like manpower, nursing, safety and security, ensuring sex offenders aren’t admitted, ensuring protective orders aren’t violated, handling substance abuse or mental health crises, feeding people, ensuring no weapons are brought gut in, etc. The list goes on and on. And then you have to consider liability and damages. 

I do think he could have been more proactive. But honestly, I wouldn’t volunteer to do another emergency shelter shift. 

Sex offenders aren’t allowed in emergency shelters? Are they just meant to stay outside and die?

In Lori's video she talks about how our bodies are temples of God. Yet, Lori doesn't even care if she is created in the image of God. Why would taking care of her temple matter to her if she is not created in God's image?

Women not created in the image of God.png

13 minutes ago, lilith said:

I

Sex offenders aren’t allowed in emergency shelters? Are they just meant to stay outside and die?

Sex offenders cannot be knowingly housed near minors like that, from what I remember. Maybe they go into a separate area or shelter? I'm fine with child molesters being blown off the face of the earth tho. 

1 minute ago, EowynW said:

Sex offenders cannot be knowingly housed near minors like that, from what I remember. Maybe they go into a separate area or shelter? I'm fine with child molesters being blown off the face of the earth tho. 

Not all (or even most) sex offenders offend against children though. And that’s not even my point - I’m just really uncomfortable with deciding that some groups of people don’t deserve basics like shelter from natural disasters, no matter what their past behaviour.

1 minute ago, lilith said:

In the situation that arose during my shift the individuals were placed in an area near the older people that were in the nursing care area of the shelter. Shelter residents knew they were there but settled after an initial outcry. 

That was several years ago- I’m not sure what the current protocol is as I don’t work there anymore. I would assume they would be permitted entry but with safety precautions. 

2 minutes ago, lilith said:

Not all (or even most) sex offenders offend against children though. And that’s not even my point - I’m just really uncomfortable with deciding that some groups of people don’t deserve basics like shelter from natural disasters, no matter what their past behaviour.

I understand your point and I don’t know that there is a truly great way to handle. It’s a contingency that has to be planned for-one of many- and so my point is really in regards to the need to exercise due diligence. 

This is part of how Ken replied to the woman who said she liked her female pastor. Anyways let's flip that around shall we? How about if a guy gets so caught up in his feelings regarding the gender of the person preaching God's word that he misses the meaning of scripture being spoken, then it's s shallow faith and risks the tossing and turning as the wind flows your feelings back and forth. 

Also I might no longer believe that women can't be preachers but that doesn't mean I've started picking and choosing scripture. I just try to study and learn from the ones that confuse me. You know deepen the faith by seeking? 

image.png

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Florita said:

So there is no empirical evidence to support her claims.

Is there ever?  Lori shoots from the hip a lot. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived