IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh shut the fuck up, @Ken. If I didn't work my husband would have to work two jobs just to make ends meet. He'd hurt himself, half kill himself with stress and we'd never ever see each other. Unlike your wife, I consider my husband more than a workhorse and I work to help him out, get out of the house, pat, ESSENTIAL  bills and give us $15 to get out of our deadbeat town on a date night a couple times a month. 

God is going to have severe words for you both. You people are some of the most unchristlike people I've ever encountered, and I'm a 3rd generation PK who has a lot of experience with vipers claiming to be Christians. 

This was mentioned a bit a few pages back,  but 100 years ago cancer was just not talked about.  It's not that no one ever had cancer.  It was just not mentioned.  I'm 62 and it's been within my lifetime that people became more open about talking about cancer.

There was a girl I went through school with who I think may have been autistic.  Yep, that was around years ago as well.  

All this discussion of butter and such reminds me that I need to pick up a couple of pounds of butter for my holiday baking.  I do buy Kerrygold for the table, but I'll probably get Cabot unsalted for baking.  I wouldn't have years ago though.  We can afford it now, but we sure could not done so have during the lean years.  The Kerrygold will probably last through Christmas dinner.

Perhaps she really does read here. It appears she's citing more and attempting to write more biblical stuff outside of her marriage talk. Both were criticisms on here.

But I wonder if she's really taken the time to pause and evaluate her life when she reads criticism. It all seems like immediate reactions which according to her recent posts isn't really biblical. Slow to speak and slow to anger right? 

Yes as per Dr Lee Lori is now advising against getting your nails done.  Both the polish and remover are toxic for your health.  Dr Lori strikes again.

3 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

So, Lady Lydia fired a shot across Lori's bow:

http://homeliving.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-loveliest-of-days.html

Damn, I never thought I'd see the day when Lydia would look totally reasonable.

I'm not familiar with Lady Lydia but that's quite an interesting link. While I don't agree with eveything she wrote or the spirit in which it was written, I found the overall tone and message to be lovely. Her approach is much more gentle and in line with the type of woman Lori claims to be. Although I'm an atheist I think there's something to learn in her message of what the journey of healthy long term relationship looks like.

I especially like this bit if it was aimed at Lori: 

"Immaturity with scripture is like adding alcoholic beverages to a mind that already lacks good judgement."

Editing to add second quote:

"I don't think it's good to bash women over the head with the word "submission" or the men with the word "leadership" , which is something I see a lot with religious people on the web."

Bam! Right between Lori's eyes!

On a woman's blog I was reading recently (that I think someone linked to on here, from Lori's FB page) she called herself a "Born Again Spirit Filled Christian". I'm confused. What does that even mean? Personally, I was raised in a fairly conservative (but not fundamentalist) Christian home. I believe in God. I do my best to serve Him. But I have never heard anyone use "born again spirit filled Christian" to describe themselves. I consider myself to be just a normal Christian, so I'm clearly doing something wrong. What am I missing? What do I have to do to be this unique "Born again Spirit filled" special type of Christian?

47 minutes ago, KDA said:

On a woman's blog I was reading recently (that I think someone linked to on here, from Lori's FB page) she called herself a "Born Again Spirit Filled Christian". I'm confused. What does that even mean? Personally, I was raised in a fairly conservative (but not fundamentalist) Christian home. I believe in God. I do my best to serve Him. But I have never heard anyone use "born again spirit filled Christian" to describe themselves. I consider myself to be just a normal Christian, so I'm clearly doing something wrong. What am I missing? What do I have to do to be this unique "Born again Spirit filled" special type of Christian?

I've heard the term born again quite regularly. But the spirit filled part MIGHT be referring to Pentecostal. I know we have a church down the street from where my parents live that requires that you have an experience of being filled with the Holy Spirit (includes speaking in tongues usually). If you don't have this experience you don't seem to be considered a Christian. My sister dated a guy from this church and he had a sort of crisis going on because he never experienced it. Of course he had other issues too. Very conservative, women grow their hair out and wear dresses sort of thing. But it would also just mean being a Christian who feels like they are filled with the Holy Spirit which I'd probably use to describe myself. Does that answer the question? I don't want to just word vomit a ton of stuff out haha.

5 hours ago, Hisey said:

I love this.

Thank you, Shaila Sims-McLAughlin, for making me laugh on a Monday morning!

Huh, well, what about Ken? How would he and Lori answer to that question? Didn't he spend nearly half the year traveling for work? And when he was home spent much of the time playing basketball? What about Lori? She needed her sleep so ignored the cries of her infant. She made them spend hours in their rooms so she could have time alone. She was "too sick" and therefore got a nanny and maid. She beat them into obedience over spilled raisins and caused their daughters to struggle with eating disorders obsessed if they appeared to have gained a couple pounds and fought over finishing the large salads made every single day. Based on his own reasoning, what would their god say about their parenting? Doubt it would be regarded all that highly. 

1 hour ago, KDA said:

That's a fundie term. Typically with hardcore KJV IFB types. 

Thank you @EowynW and @Sarah92. So that term is just particular to a certain "brand" of Christianity, then?  The church I was raised in, and still attend, while conservative, does not have any of those ultra-spiritualist (or whatever they're called) things. We don't have an *experience* of being filled with the Holy Spirit. We don't speak in tongues. We don't practice faith healing or fall over from the touch of the pastor or anything like that (not knocking anyone who believes it, I'm just saying that I don't think it's necessary to serve the Lord). We just make the choice to serve God, be baptised into the faith, and share fellowship together on Sundays and attend gospel meetings. And, of course, try to live a life of love, kindness etc as Christians do. For me, it's so simple. All these different terms make it so confusing and complicated, and it doesn't need to be.

@KDA I agree- it doesn’t have to be that complicated. 

I think it’s ludicrous that her followers think that submission and sex should be preached from the pulpit (we are in a series about discerning God’s will for our lives) but hey, maybe people don’t want to dig deep. 

I also think it’s ludicrous that she and her followers claim that it’s more time consuming to make whole foods than it is to make processed food. Not really. It’s called a crockpot or a skillet meal or a sheet pan meal. Unless they are going out to the backyard and killing dinner- that takes more time. But we know Lori’s time is spent driving around in search of $14 butter and $12 mayo...

"Spirit-filled" believers can also be found in charismatic churches which are an offshoot of old school Pentecostalism.  Charismatics may not be so culturally distinctive as old time Pentecostals and charismatics may belong to a mainstream church.  Charismatics are not necessarily KJV only and don't always insist on women not cutting their hair and things like that.  The big thing is belief in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the sign of speaking in tongues.  I was "preyed" with for the Baptism  but thankfully it never took.  

Thank you, @PennySycamore! I was just trying to figure out how to explain charismatic churches, but you did a better job. :) 

My exposure to Christians who call themselves Spirit-filled because they have been baptized in the Holy Spirit has been in small, charismatic churches. No KJV only. (The pastor I heard preach more times recommended starting with whichever translation you would read the most; he seemed to prefer the Amplified Version.) No legalism about hair length or dresses only.

And no patriarchy that I ever saw. Both churches considered the husband and wife who led the church as equal co-pastors. The woman pastor at the first church I attended (first, but less times) gave an impassioned sermon about how Christians are in a spiritual war and those who won't let women lead, preach, and teach are leaving out half their army.

They were both very small churches with people who were very kind to me and even though I left, I still had a lot of respect for the people at both churches. 

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

@KDA

I also think it’s ludicrous that she and her followers claim that it’s more time consuming to make whole foods than it is to make processed food. Not really. It’s called a crockpot or a skillet meal or a sheet pan meal. 

Here’s my Single Gal’s Dinner for Dummies:

Oil a sheet pan. Add a piece of frozen salmon and some raw veggies (asparagus, halved Brussels sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli florets—whatever you have around). Flip the salmon and toss the veggies so there’s a little oil on all sides. Sprinkle with whatever seasonings suit your fancy. Chuck it in the oven and forget it for half an hour. Maybe nuke a potato to go with it if you’re ambitious.

Voilà—you’ve got a healthy meal for only a little more effort than nuking a Lean Cuisine. 

It’s blatantly obvious that Lori knows ZIP about efficient cooking.

@KDA I think so! I can't say for sure because so many churches have their own language. But your church sounds very similar to the one I attend right now. I'm loving the sermon series on discipleship through the Book of Mark that we're doing. This sunday' sermon was amazing, I was so excited. 

But you're right it becomes quite complicated and hard to follow sometimes. While I'm getting my clinical mental health degree, I'm part of my school's seminary program so we are required to take some church history/ theology courses and man does it get complicated. To me half of the debates don't matter in the long run because does it really change how we are supposed to live? Lori and others that preach similarly tend to act as if marriage is part of the gospel. As if you have to believe this way or you go to hell.  

Side note: I have had KJVers try telling me that there isn't anymore research going on into the biblical text and language; therefore, we do not need any new translations. Uhhh I work in my school's library, I think we have one of the biggest collections of biblical texts and Christian resources in the surrounding area. Please tell me that while I process yet another new commentary ,or doctoral disertation, or help a student with research. 

14 hours ago, EowynW said:

Oh shut the fuck up, @Ken. If I didn't work my husband would have to work two jobs just to make ends meet. He'd hurt himself, half kill himself with stress and we'd never ever see each other. Unlike your wife, I consider my husband more than a workhorse and I work to help him out, get out of the house, pat, ESSENTIAL  bills and give us $15 to get out of our deadbeat town on a date night a couple times a month. 

God is going to have severe words for you both. You people are some of the most unchristlike people I've ever encountered, and I'm a 3rd generation PK who has a lot of experience with vipers claiming to be Christians. 

@Kenis a complete hypocrite.  He makes his living consulting for orthodontists and making their offices run smoothly and profitable.

Think about every doctor and dentist office you've ever been in.  The support staff is almost always entirely female, no doubt many of them are moms with young children. 

So, Ken, you and Lori are making your living off the backs of working moms, the very people you rant against.  Explain please how that's ok in your tiny little minds.

I wonder if Ken has actually considered that his business is profitable because of working women. In many single income households, money can be quite tight and therefore it would not be possible for many people to get orthodontic care. While some may try very hard to get orthodontic treatment for actual problems it's usage would go down especially orthodontics for cosmetic reason. The money generated in this specialty would be greatly reduced and the use of consultants would almost certainly be less.

And it 's back to women preachers again. She's getting a bit annoyed now.

Undoubtedly, every single time I write about this topic, I am accused of preaching and doing the exact same thing I am teaching against. Writing for a blog is not preaching! For one thing, I am not in a church and secondly, I am not standing in front of a church on a platform and teaching a group of men and women and thirdly, I am teaching women what the Lord instructs me to teach them. The fact that I have to even explain this shows the ignorance of many today.

We're just ignorant, y'all. :my_rolleyes:

@Loveday Yes, I just came here to say, wow she is pissed about something. Something must have happened behind the scenes. Maybe her crappy book sales or the 2.7 stars.  She is say Joyce Meyer and others aren't doing God's work because they have money!! I would love for someone to send this to Joyce. 

If there’s something I want to know about doing that’s not forbidden in the Word, I step out and begin doing it, like writing this blog, and know that God will be the one who opens and closes doors for me.

Of course God doesn't prohibit blogs in the bible, they didn't exist. 

Are people afraid to invite me to dinner?

More of what we have talked about here. She monitors this forum like crazy. 

4 minutes ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

@Loveday Yes, I just came here to say, wow she is pissed about something. Something must have happened behind the scenes. Maybe her crappy book sales or the 2.7 stars.  She is say Joyce Meyer and others aren't doing God's work because they have money!! I would love for someone to send this to Joyce. 

Of course God doesn't prohibit blogs in the bible, they didn't exist. 

Or maybe she's mad that all her efforts to go viral lately have come to naught? She's certainly been trying hard enough, I'm sure she's getting frustrated. :pb_lol:

Here's a comment that may or may not disappear quickly, depending on Lori's mood this morning:

I'm confused. There are differing responsibilities between a pastor and a teacher. While I'm not a faithful listener of Joyce Meyers, she falls more into teacher than pastor. Aren't they different?

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

@Kenis a complete hypocrite.  He makes his living consulting for orthodontists and making their offices run smoothly and profitable.

Think about every doctor and dentist office you've ever been in.  The support staff is almost always entirely female, no doubt many of them are moms with young children. 

So, Ken, you and Lori are making your living off the backs of working moms, the very people you rant against.  Explain please how that's ok in your tiny little minds.

I think deep down Ken knows that working women in orthodontic offices are a huge reason why he makes a living. He also has a few female orthodontists as clients. There are listed on his business sites. He's still fucking idiot to trash working women. He keeps claiming that if many women didn't work wages for men would go up. A woman had been in contact with him via FB, pointed out that might not even happen for a few reasons. I wonder how Ken would explain his clients trying to manage their practices without working women.Many men do not work as dental or orthodontic assistants. I often wonder if Ken's clients or their staff members have come across Lori's blog and Ken's many comments.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived