IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessa Didn't come up with the horrible Holocaust analogy on her own.  This is something she has been taught, and she was parroting it.  She has had it pounded into her head that they are comparable.  I imagine this is commone rhetoric for many in their realm. 

The problem we have is that these fundie hate mongers, ( not just the duggars but that whole culture) has been very successful at infiltrating the government.  And, they have managed to get several large and well funded businesses involved.  While many well intentioned people were apathetic during local and state elections, these assholes were winning.  And now, we end up iwth Betsy DeVos, Jeff Sessions, etc. We end up with women's reproductive rights taking another hit.  We end up with Trump slowly chipping away at the freedom of the press. 

The Duggars are part of what is truly ripping the moral fiber of this country to shreds.  Yes,  they have a freak show quality and lets all just admit that we still find them entertaining or interesting.  But, the damage their broad platform has done needs to be examined.  They have normalized  many the very worst aspects of fundamentalism. Sorry, but I am very grouchy today. 

Jessa kids are gorgeous and Ben might be a smidge smarter and more open minded than we all thought, but to be honest, that bar was set pretty fucking low.  When Jessa and Ben show evidence of reexamining the hateful beliefs they were indoctrinated into, I will cut them some slack.  I understand they didn't choose to be born into this mess and it takes awhile for kids in cults to question things.  But,  wrong is wrong.  And quite frankly, time is running out.  The earth is dying, women are losing rights, minorities are being  victimized, war is being hinted at, etc.

And don't forget the Holys

HolyMoly

HolyCow

HolyShit........

OK maybe not :pb_lol:

How did we forget Hepzibah or Hattie? 

I've visited Yad Vashem in Jerusalem and will share the advice instilled in by grandma for events that will be moving. Take plenty of extra tissue packets, because someone will forget theirs and need them and you'll need yours. It was so true and I try to carry extras whenever I visit remembrance sites and there the six pack didn't go far enough. 

I'm not a crier by nature (minus when I was pregnant), but you never know how the places and stories will hit you. To have just visited a Holocaust museum and been able to think about anything else, to politicize it is still beyond me. After we left was the quietest I have seen, or ever will see the group I went with. 

As far as not deleting social media posts, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some legal advice behind it. They or their legal teams are aware that every single post they make has been saved by someone and the backlash that would come from trying to clean it up. I imagine someone told them it would be better to issue a corrective or pennant statement than just delete. Or the Seewalds learned from the asking for money and giftcards backlash, alas, Jill and Derick have yet to learn that.

In my books, equating abortion to the Holocaust is just wrong. On a logical level it's unreasonable. Abortion is a medical procedure undertaken by an individual for personal reasons. The Holocaust was a genocide organised on a vast scale for very public reasons. It's not comparable.

And here's something Jessa might not know about. Allow me to introduce Dr Gisella Perl, a Jewish doctor who performed abortions in Auschwitz to save women's lives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisella_Perl

12 hours ago, divadivine said:

They’d use real names and then just make up unique names....

The duplicate H names could be pretty ridiculous too. How about two daughters named Hannah and Hana? Or two sons named Harry and Harold?

I hope the first girl-born-to-a-Duggar-girl is Jinger's.

Edit:  And that said girl is born in about three years, after a gaggle of boys.

3 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

I personally cannot wait for Hoe Bob or HeWashedMeInTheBloodOfTheLamb. or Little Helovesthemall :D

Helovesthemall just makes me imagine Jesus swanning around Forever21 and Claire's with like 10 shopping bags on each arm.

47 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Or two sons named Harry and Harold?

My maternal grandmother was one of fourteen and had brothers named Harry and Harold. They were fairly far apart in birth order (one may have left home before the other was born?) but I always found it really weird. It's not like there weren't other names to choose from!

Please don't forget Homer!

(I'm a big fan of the character Homer Hickam in October Sky, who is a real person, and who could forget Homer Price?)

Howard also works.

There are a ton of “H” names to pick from:

Hayden

Haley

Henna

Halle

Harper

Hunter

Hugo

Hugh

Harrison

Hector

Hester

Heath

Harvey

Holden

Hale

Henrietta

Hilda

Herbert

Hamilton

Howie

Hawk

Hudson

Harley

Holly

Harriet

Heidi

Helena

Helen

Harlow

Harmony

Hazel

Honor

Haven

Hope

Helga

And that’s not even counting alternate spellings, names already mentioned, or names that might be ruled out for some reason.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I hope the first girl-born-to-a-Duggar-girl is Jinger's.

Edit:  And that said girl is born in about three years, after a gaggle of boys.

It doesn't matter when she will be born. She will be forced to "have a servant's heart" and to cater to all males, older or younger than she is... because that's what Duggars do...

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

There are a ton of “H” names to pick from:

Hayden

Haley

Henna

Halle

Harper

Hunter

Hugo

Hugh

Harrison

Hector

Hester

Heath

Harvey

Holden

Hale

Henrietta

Hilda

Herbert

Hamilton

Howie

Hawk

Hudson

Harley

Holly

Harriet

Heidi

Helena

Helen

Harlow

Harmony

Hazel

Honor

Haven

Hope

Helga

And that’s not even counting alternate spellings, names already mentioned, or names that might be ruled out for some reason.

they can use any of those names but Harmony. That's my name and I'm not ready to have a Duggar or a Duggar offspring to have my name yet (especially coming from Joy who's just a year older than me) 

6 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

The duplicate H names could be pretty ridiculous too. How about two daughters named Hannah and Hana? Or two sons named Harry and Harold?

In my family, there are siblings named Don and Dawn. Far apart in the birth order, and the pronunciations of the two names are different, but still kind of funny.

20 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

In my family, there are siblings named Don and Dawn. Far apart in the birth order, and the pronunciations of the two names are different, but still kind of funny.

I'm really curious, how are the pronunciations different? I pronounce Dawn and Don exactly the same.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I'm really curious, how are the pronunciations different? I pronounce Dawn and Don exactly the same.

Could be some accent/regional stuff in play here, but in Dawn there's an 'aww' sound, like it rhymes with 'lawn.' Don has more of an 'ahh' sound, like Dahhhn. Whether you say them differently or the same probably falls along the same lines as whether 'caught' and 'cot' are the same sound to you!

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I pronounce them differently. Dawn is like lawn/fawn/yawn/spawn but with the "D" sound in front. Don has a short "O" sound just like I were to say the word "on" with an added "D" sound. 

I suck at spelling things phonetically so hope that helps. 

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I saw DAWn and DAHn. 

DAWN rhymes with LAWN or PAWN.

Don rhymes with tron or the first syllable of chronicle.

54 minutes ago, Casserole said:

I pronounce them differently. Dawn is like lawn/fawn/yawn/spawn but with the "D" sound in front. Don has a short "O" sound just like I were to say the word "on" with an added "D" sound. 

53 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

DAWN rhymes with LAWN or PAWN.

Don rhymes with tron or the first syllable of chronicle.

Yeah, I definitely pronounce all of those the same way. That is to say, they all rhyme. I do have the caught/cot merger, so I guess that's the explanation! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived