IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Did I hear that Kate and William announced that the baby is a girl?

If this is true, she wouldn't be due in May- just saying.

I haven't heard that. Off to search.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be a silly question, but do genetics or eating habits have more determination on a baby's weight? The Duggar girls seem to all be having large babies but I don't think Anna's babies were as large. And none of them seemed to have put on a lot of weight all over- more just the belly. 

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The Duggars don't just "carry big", they have huge babies, period. 

They also most likely don't do the gestational diabetes testing.

I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. Not overweight, it's genetic with me. Mom and grandmother had it too. My endocrinologist who has watched over my pregnancies told me that the vast majority of women who themselves are not huge or with very large partners but nevertheless had 9+lb babies had undiagnosed GDM. And that it can very often creep up in the last 4-8 weeks, which is a couple of months after the glucose tolerance test. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Also recall that Michelle developed pre-eclampsia very early with Josie, and pre-eclampsia is common in uncontrolled diabetes. And if your mother had GDM when pregnant with you, your odds of developing it yourself during your pregnancy are very, very high.

Anna didn't have giant babies which is also interesting.

Re:  birthweight and genetics and/or overeating...

GryffindorDisappointment weighed 7lb, 3oz (8 days late). I weighed 7lb, 4oz (3 days late). Her dad weighed 7lb, 2oz (dunno his gestation - he was adopted). My mom weighed 8lb, 8oz. My dad weighed 8lb, 5oz.

So. who knows? I'd say maternal diet does figure into baby weight, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/17/birth-weight-mother-diet-child-pregnant

54 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The Duggars don't just "carry big", they have huge babies, period. 

That’s a rumor. I don’t believe the Royal Family announces the sex of the baby prior to the birth. 

1 hour ago, mstee said:

This may be a silly question, but do genetics or eating habits have more determination on a baby's weight? The Duggar girls seem to all be having large babies but I don't think Anna's babies were as large. And none of them seemed to have put on a lot of weight all over- more just the belly. 

Mackynzie - 8 pounds

Michael - 8 pounds 5 ounces

Marcus - 9 pounds 3 ounces

Meredith - 7 pounds 14 ounces

Mason - 9 pounds 1 ounce

Israel - 9 pounds 10 ounces

Samuel - 9 pounds 10 ounces

Spurgeon - 9 pounds 11 ounces

Henry - 8 pounds 11 ounces

According to the American Pregnancy Association (lasted updated in summer 2015, so it may have changed), the average birth weight range is 6-9 pounds - two of Anna’s babies have been above that average, one of Jessa’s was above average, and both of Jill’s were above average. 

I believe birth weight can be partially influenced by genetics, among other factors. I can’t really speak from personal experience though - my 34 weeker was only 5 pounds at birth, whereas I was around 7 pounds 2 ounces (that 5 pound peanut was just under 22 pounds at her 9 month wellness check - pretty sure my Doctor was right when she said Velocibaby would have been gigantic had she gone full-term. Lol!)

ETA: And to compare with the Seewald boys - 

@VelociRapture I guess the birth weights were a lot closer than I remembered. It all seems okay until the 9 pound territory. I don't know why the thought of having a 9 pounder versus an 8 pounder seems so scary! I'm not due till spring so I'm newly pregnant but I'm hoping that I don't go into the 9 pound territory. 

1 minute ago, mstee said:

@VelociRapture I guess the birth weights were a lot closer than I remembered. It all seems okay until the 9 pound territory. I don't know why the thought of having a 9 pounder versus an 8 pounder seems so scary! I'm not due till spring so I'm newly pregnant but I'm hoping that I don't go into the 9 pound territory. 

Aw! I can’t remember if I’ve congratulated you yet, but congratulations!

My OBGYN was convinced my daughter was going to be a 9 pounder at what turned out to be my last prenatal appointment (I measured ahead of schedule most of the third trimester and part of the second.) I wasn’t thrilled at the idea, but I wasn’t worrying much either - I kept reminding myself that if the baby was too big they could always perform a c-section instead. C-sections are no walk in the park by any means, but it helped knowing there was another option if something went wrong or if I physically couldn’t get her out.  

(There are a lot of factors that go into birth weight. Mention it to your Doctor if you’re concerned - they may be able to calm your fears and ensure you have the healthiest pregnancy possible. :))

My oldest was 7lb 6oz at 37 weeks (preeclampsia, emergent c/s)

Middle was 9lb 5oz on her due date (I DID have GD, pretty well controlled. Uneventful VBAC)

Youngest was 8lb 7oz at 39 weeks (strangely complication free. Uneventful VBAC)

I was 6lb 13oz. But my mom thought it was ok to smoke cigarettes while pregnant. 

Mr. Figg was 8lb 9oz. His mom is a very tall woman who had room for a bigger kid. My BIL was 10+ lbs but he’s also an asshole so fuck him. 

6 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

Totally off topic here, but I cannot tell you how crazy it drives me that People magazine constantly refers to Kate as Princess Kate.

She.is.not.a.princess.  (Yet)

Actually, she is. But her proper title as a princess would not be Princess Catherine (or Kate), but rather, Princess William. And no change in William's status will make her "Princess Catherine"  In Britain, thus far, only women of royal birth may be Princess Own Name --examples being Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter or Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice, Prince Andrew's daughters or Princess Charlotte. Princess Diana was not actually her proper title, either. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

No. They don't announce the gender. It was reported and confirmed by the Palace that they did not even find out themselves before Prince George's birth. It was never said whether they found out for Charlotte or not, but it was certainly not announced. 

For anyone interested, here’s a breakdown of what Catherine’s titles are, what to call her, and why they’re different from what her MIL’s titles were:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2457149

Cheater version - for royals with multiple titles, like William, you use their major/highest ranking title. In some cases a Royal Duke outranks a Prince. William was a Prince at birth, but received the additional rank of Duke of Cambridge upon marriage, making that the more important title. So in England, he is referred to as the Duke of Cambridge. Women are styled by their husband’s title, so Catherine is referred to as the Duchess of Cambridge. Her full title is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Barroness of Carrickfergus.*

Diana married Charles, who was a Prince by birth as well as by Principality - he was made Prince of Wales in the late 1960s. His rank as Prince of Wales was the most important one he holds in England (other than Cornwall**) and Wales, so that’s how he is styled. That’s why Diana’s official title would have been Princess of Wales. 

Once William becomes Prince of Wales, he and Catherine will switch to being known by that title instead. And when he is eventually crowned King, Catherine will likely be titled Queen Consort (though she’ll mostly be referred to as Queen.) 

*William’s ranking title in Scotland is Strathearn and in Ireland it’s Carrickfergus. So William and Catherine would be referred to by those titles in each country. 

**I’m not sure about the reasons, but Charles is known as the Duke of Cornwall in Cornwall. His current wife, Camilla, uses that title and is known as the Duchess of Cornwall. By marriage she has the right to use the title Princess of Wales - however, it was decided she would not use that title because it’s so closely tied to Diana. They’ve stated that Camilla will be styled as HRH The Princess Consort when Charles becomes King, but I believe it’s been hinted at over the years that that decision may change. 

7 hours ago, Jaeniduggar said:

Plus high heels she wears everywhere. I am 5'2" on the morning of a really good day, so she towered over me at Madame Tussauds. She was also wearing a Christmas Sweater. She looked still classy af in it emoji36.pngemoji23.png

They change the outfits the figures wear? I didn't know that. That's an awkward job.

Thanks for the rundown on royal titles, @VelociRapture!! And I'm glad to hear that velocibaby is doing well!! I just tried to tag her. I need sleep. Or she needs an account here!

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

That’s a rumor. I don’t believe the Royal Family announces the sex of the baby prior to the birth. 

None of them have found out before birth, it's still common here to wait till the birth to find out. Maybe Harry and Meghan will break tradition, I can see them getting married soon.

Re birth weight and genetics:

I was a nice, comfortable for my mom to deliver 7 lb baby.  Heathen husband was 10 Lbs and some odd ounces.  The men in his family (his dad and uncles) were all ginormous.  10,11, even 12 lb babies.

Needless to say, I was terrified when little Heathen #1 was a boy, but he weighed in at 6 Lbs 10 oz.  Little Heathen #2 was also a boy and he was only a little bigger at 7 Lbs 11 Oz. 

So, basically, I dunno... lol.  You’d think based on how big the men in my husband’s family tree were that there was a genetic component, but then my kids disproved that.  

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

None of them have found out before birth, it's still common here to wait till the birth to find out. Maybe Harry and Meghan will break tradition, I can see them getting married soon.

Given how highly William and Catherine prize privacy it makes sense that they didn't find out the sex. It would be too easy for a magazine to try and bribe a doctor or nurse. 

8 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I recently watched the documentary on Diana that was produced by People magazine (it's on Netflix) and apparently Diana found out the sex of both of her children before they were born. iirc when she was pregnant with William it was actually publicized that she was expecting a boy, but with Harry she knew and kept it a secret.

8 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

They change the outfits the figures wear? I didn't know that. That's an awkward job.

They did last years before Christmas, if I remember correctly for a charity? The queen wore a corgie sweater. Catherine and William actually wore a twin sweater. It was hilarious!

Spoiler

Madame-Tussauds-Londons-Royal-family-don-Christmas-jumpers-to-support-save-the-children-London-UK.jpg.51c3e0835b069cb12f35b528add30f46.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jaeniduggar said:

They did last years before Christmas, if I remember correctly for a charity? The queen wore a corgie sweater. Catherine and William actually wore a twin sweater. It was hilarious!

Hide contents

Madame-Tussauds-Londons-Royal-family-don-Christmas-jumpers-to-support-save-the-children-London-UK.jpg.51c3e0835b069cb12f35b528add30f46.jpg

The corgis in sweaters are clearly the best part of that picture. :pb_lol:

My family always have tiny babies, I was born at 41 weeks and I was 6 pounds, 2oz. My sister was the biggest baby in the fam, she was born at 35 weeks and was 9 pounds, 10 oz. Good thing she went early, lol.

I'm hoping if I ever have children they'll be tiny cause a 9 pound baby, hell naw!

11 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Actually, she is. But her proper title as a princess would not be Princess Catherine (or Kate), but rather, Princess William. And no change in William's status will make her "Princess Catherine"  In Britain, thus far, only women of royal birth may be Princess Own Name --examples being Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter or Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice, Prince Andrew's daughters or Princess Charlotte. Princess Diana was not actually her proper title, either. 

No. They don't announce the gender. It was reported and confirmed by the Palace that they did not even find out themselves before Prince George's birth. It was never said whether they found out for Charlotte or not, but it was certainly not announced. 

You're right.  What I meant was she was not Princess Kate, but I should have been more specific.

9 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

comfortable for my mom to deliver 7 lb baby

She must have been medicated, out-of-her-mind, or had an epidural. My 7-pounder was delivered with ZERO meds and that last thing it was, was comfortable.

To all the royal enthusiasts here: 

Why are royals connected to certain cities/counties/regions? Is each city/county/region in England, Scotland, and Wales represented by a royal? Is Northern Ireland represented by the royal family? TIA!

My husband and I were talking about what we each weighed at birth at one of our OB appointments and the doctor interjected that every woman carries differently and that its impossible to compare pregnancy weights, even to your own mother or sister. Still...I was a nice 6lb baby and my mom had quick labors so I can still hope :my_rolleyes:

21 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

According to the American Pregnancy Association (lasted updated in summer 2015, so it may have changed), the average birth weight range is 6-9 pounds - two of Anna’s babies have been above that average, one of Jessa’s was above average, and both of Jill’s were above average. 

I believe birth weight can be partially influenced by genetics, among other factors. I can’t really speak from personal experience though - my 34 weeker was only 5 pounds at birth, whereas I was around 7 pounds 2 ounces (that 5 pound peanut was just under 22 pounds at her 9 month wellness check - pretty sure my Doctor was right when she said Velocibaby would have been gigantic had she gone full-term. Lol!)

A friend of mine recently had a 5 pounder at 38 weeks. He is still in his 00000 clothing at two months of age. (I didn't know they had made 00000 a thing).

His mum has a habit of going on radical diets, drinking too much and then not eating - I honestly don't know if that had anything to do with it. I am not a doctor - mum was a midwife but even she can't determine everything that causes a birth weight. 

I got told off by my vet this morning for the weight of my 7mo Lab - unfortunately my housemates seem to over feed her no matter what I keep telling them. She's already the same weight as her 20mo doggy friend...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived