IGNORED

Joy & Austin 15: Standing for the Fetus

choralcrusader8613

10 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I remember the first time I heard Anna tell one of her kids, "instantly obey".  Yes, kids should generally listen to their parents but to teach them to do everything an adult says without any thought is quite dangerous.  Especially in that household!

I was raised in IFB and I now hate the word "obey" so much I forgot it even existed so if I would have heard "instantly obey" I probably would have threw up a little. I use the word "listen" instead, which maybe isn't as effective but I just can't bring myself to it.

I  know that with Jana being the oldest, discipline is probably left to her when the parentals are away so it's not really a shock to me that Joy would threaten with Jana but the whole "obey" thing just rubs me the wrong way

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, llg1234 said:

does this episode really need to be 2 hours long??? We've already seen most of the wedding.

The wedding episodes include the honeymoon so there's your extra hour.

Joy's at the point where she can find out the gender of her baby. Will she do so and reveal to the world like her sister mom (possibly with a name), or will she find out but keep schtum till People give her a front cover a la Jessa? What do we think? Or will she choose not to find out? 

The last wedding I attended- my son's- the stupid IFB pastor made the bride say submit and obey in her vows.

I may have hissed out loud a little when I heard it.

I definitely told him that it was inappropriate when we were seated next to his insufferable self & snotty wife at the reception. My DH kicked me under the table and the leg humper to my left actually gasped.

I still hate him.

@ChickenettiLuvr Man, I wish you were my in law. I definitely want to sit with you at the next wedding I attend, too! 
My stepmom actually corrected the officiant and said "I never promised to obey!" when they forgot to remove it from the vows. Great-grandma was horrified, everyone else got a kick out of it. 

Spoiler

deletetwo.thumb.jpg.227b978bca44d8b5d152594808fd6d2b.jpg

14 hours ago, llg1234 said:

http://people.com/tv/joy-anna-duggar-austin-forsyth-first-look-wedding-day/

Joy and Austin's first look. The flower idea was kinda cool, but does this episode really need to be 2 hours long??? We've already seen most of the wedding.

I only watched the clip on people.com. Austin really didn't appear to bit that overwhelmed when he saw Joy for the first time in her dress and I wouldn't say he particularly liked it. 
I've said it a thousand times already, but I just don't get why a lot of fundie maidens don't seem to manage to do anything nice with their long hair. Joy's hair wedding hair style looks like something you'd do with your hair on a normal day. There is so much emphasis on weddings in fundieland that I just don't understand why they don't put a little effort into it.

And straw in a church? Call me boring or old-fashioned, but I really can't wrap my head around it. If they had married in a barn - okay. But in church? I feel sorry for the cleaning crew.

That's my BEC with Joy!  

Dresses I get, everyone has a different opinion of what they like, choose and how it's fitted to what they like or see in their mind.   However, style your damn hair!  It's nicer when she's sitting on the couch giving an interview.  It looks stringy and unkempt and now I'll shut up :)

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

And straw in a church? Call me boring or old-fashioned, but I really can't wrap my head around it. If they had married in a barn - okay. But in church? I feel sorry for the cleaning crew.

See, I saw it as what Joy really wanted was a barn wedding, like the one Sierra did a year or so ago, with hay and twinkling lights and so on, or better yet, an outdoor wedding.  But that's too much of a deviation from the brand, so hay in church was the nearest she was allowed to it (I also can't work out a better explanation!)

22 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Did anyone else see the part where it looked like Austin kissed Joy on the forehead? Also looked like Joy tried to full-on hug Austin, but he turned her to the side because the cameras were there.

I'm not saying they broke all of their courtship rules, but their body language makes me think there was at least some front-hugging and maybe even a few sneaky kisses here and there before the big day.

This may be shocking, but maybe Joy wore her hair like that because she actually likes it that way. Or maybe she was so over pretending to care about the huge wedding that she just did the easiest style possible. Or maybe she wanted to look like herself in her wedding photos. Not every bride wants to wear fancy updos for their weddings and there’s nothing wrong with that.

@Smoochie I agree. Joy’s hair looked dirty and like it hadn’t been brushed. I think I yelled at the TV “Brush your hair! You’re getting married. At least look like you brushed your hair!” 

No one said she needed an updo. She just needed to look like she actually put some effort into not looking like she just rolled out of bed and put on her wedding dress. Brush your hair Joy. 

47 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

This may be shocking, but maybe Joy wore her hair like that because she actually likes it that way. Or maybe she was so over pretending to care about the huge wedding that she just did the easiest style possible. Or maybe she wanted to look like herself in her wedding photos. Not every bride wants to wear fancy updos for their weddings and there’s nothing wrong with that.

My hair can't even hold a curl to save my life. I couldn't have my hair up for my wedding if my life depended on it. 

Of course you are right - maybe she really wanted it to look that way! I actually hope that she had the wedding she always dreamed of, because beyond that there isn't much to dream about in her culture.

15 hours ago, mulberry said:

Maybe Harry's legal name was Henry?

Entirely possible. I've never been one to dig too deeply into family history, so you never know!

People keep saying that Joy didn't get the wedding she wanted, yet,  lets just say she wanted an outdoor wedding in a barn?  I honestly don't think that JB and M would have objected to this?  I feel like there have been lots of outdoor fundie weddings.  Outdoor weddings carry the bad weather risk, but aside from that, I see no reason why Joy would be denied that kind of wedding if that is what she wanted.

What I think is possible is that Joy just wanted a small service, with no fuss, and then off on the honeymoon, and on this she may have been told, You can have whatever theme you want, but it must be TV ready. 

I think every big thing these kids do, must always be TV Ready. 

I remember Joy saying Austin likes her hair down in the episode where her and Kendra had their hair and makeup done, so she was probably gonna wear it that way. :my_rolleyes:  She also said that he liked the headband though, and she didn't end up wearing one. So, who knows.

To give some credit I do remember Jessa asking Joy if she was ready for her hair and went for a lose curl look. Although I personally don't have this hairtype, I do have friends who do and many don't hold for very long!

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I actually agree with you.  However, there's a big difference between wearing it down as both may prefer and running a brush thru it...  as I said my BEC :)

16 hours ago, IamNIKE said:

I  know that with Jana being the oldest, discipline is probably left to her when the parentals are away so it's not really a shock to me that Joy would threaten with Jana but the whole "obey" thing just rubs me the wrong way

There. FTFY

10 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

There. FTFY

Interesting....what makes you feel that way? Is it just because the parentals assign off every other parental duty to the big kids (now really just Jana since everyone else has married off) or is it something more?

3 hours ago, beepy13 said:

Did anyone else see the part where it looked like Austin kissed Joy on the forehead? Also looked like Joy tried to full-on hug Austin, but he turned her to the side because the cameras were there.

I'm not saying they broke all of their courtship rules, but their body language makes me think there was at least some front-hugging and maybe even a few sneaky kisses here and there before the big day.

I have not seen the wedding episode yet but I'll be keeping a close eye out for that. I'm of the camp that they were probably hitting home runs before the wedding...all of the unchaperoned time Joy had just doing her every day activities could have easily led to some secret time, plus just their body language and the fact that I could smell the horndog coming off Austin through my TV is just a little too much. Plus the whole early pregnancy, moving up the wedding thing. Yeah, so there's that haha

@IamNIKE, I don't think Michelle has been involved in any parental activity for a very, very long time. She seems so disconnected, robotic and frankly 'out of it'. I recall a number of episodes where that disconnect is pretty clear. Remember the one where one of the boys (was it Justin? Jason? not sure) fell down into the orchestra box in the theatre and all she thought to do was grin stupidly and pull out her phone to film it? Or the time one of the little boys was lost at the airport and she didn't seem all that concerned? And when he was found, he ran right past her to Jana for comfort?

The fact that she cannot even name any single personal charactaristic of any of her children, but resorts to religious platitudes instead (and exactly the same ones for each and every one of them to boot) is also a sign that she doesn't even really know any of her children on a personal level, other than their names. 

There are many, many more examples, but these are the ones that came to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure other FJ'ers could chime in with other examples.

14 minutes ago, IamNIKE said:

Interesting....what makes you feel that way? Is it just because the parentals assign off every other parental duty to the big kids (now really just Jana since everyone else has married off) or is it something more?

I have not seen the wedding episode yet but I'll be keeping a close eye out for that. I'm of the camp that they were probably hitting home runs before the wedding...all of the unchaperoned time Joy had just doing her every day activities could have easily led to some secret time, plus just their body language and the fact that I could smell the horndog coming off Austin through my TV is just a little too much. Plus the whole early pregnancy, moving up the wedding thing. Yeah, so there's that haha

This was not an early pregnancy. Joy shared that the baby was the size of a bell pepper on October 2nd, which would mean she was very likely around 18 weeks at that point. Based off that, conception would have been sometime in mid to late June, almost a full month after they got married. That rumor needs to die.

They also never moved the wedding date. The date listed on the registry was Joy’s birthday and was placed there to prevent non-guests from knowing the actual date. The rumor that they moved the date up also needs to die as it has been debunked multiple times.

The wedding date thing makes sense and I had not previously seen that. I'm still standing strong on my opinion that more was going on than their "rules" allowed for during their courtship. I've seen many instances where Joy was just going off on her own to do things and meet people places, there's plenty of opportunity in "freedom" like that.

1 hour ago, IamNIKE said:

The wedding date thing makes sense and I had not previously seen that. I'm still standing strong on my opinion that more was going on than their "rules" allowed for during their courtship. I've seen many instances where Joy was just going off on her own to do things and meet people places, there's plenty of opportunity in "freedom" like that.

The fact that you saw her going off to do things and meet people suggests that either someone else was there to film her or a camera was filming what she was doing. So no. She wasn’t really “alone” when she was doing that stuff. She was being recorded. Not to mention that the show has a history of hiding people helping out - like Jana helping with that trip to Texas Benessa did “alone” with the kids this season - and it wouldn’t be a stretch to think that they might have chaperones off camera as well.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived