IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

14 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Tabloid headlines are awful and I'm pretty sure they're responsible for bringing "bump" into everyday parlance. There was a pretty bad example this year when Amal Clooney visited London and all the headlines were about her "baby bump." For example, Amal Clooney Showcases Her Baby Bump in a Pink Dress and Overcoat Ahead of U.N. Visit from People, or Time's tweet, "Amal Clooney shows off her baby bump at the United Nations." She was in London because she's a lawyer and was speaking to the U.N. about ISIS's genocide of Yazidis, but tabloids just wanted to talk about her "baby bump."

I remember during one of the Duchess of Cambridge's previous pregnancies there was a headline along the lines of "Kate Takes Her Bump To...".

Because leaving it at home for the day was an option. :my_confused:

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Oh boy. First, there's no proof whatsoever that Josh was sleeping with a sex worker. Second... wow. Good for you for correctly guessing that Josh was leading a double life based on his clammy skin. That's... really something. You clearly have flawless, superhuman intuition about the Duggars and there's no point ever arguing with you again. I'm going to make a note that @TatiFish9 is a proven Duggar psychic to be sure that no one contradicts your expertise in the future. :pb_lol:

I often have clammy skin.  I'm post menopausal, but still get those lovely hot flashes.  No double life here, just a hot, sweaty lady.  Someone has developed a theory and fallen in love with it, and cannot or will not see all the obvious flaws in that theory.  

lol!  

"Someone has developed a theory and fallen in love with it, and cannot or will not see all the obvious flaws in that theory."

Oh the irony.

@EmmieJ I must admit, Josh being post menopausal was my second option. I just got lucky on the first shot. Maybe, I should have married a Duggar gal.

Anyway, my theory about Josh goes deeper than that. I should not have thrown it out there so casually, today. There were several things going on with Josh that cued to him presenting one way and but living the other. However, no way did I think of anything as damning as the entire scandal. I just knew he was lying about the life he projected. I figured he was smoking, drinking and/or binge eating. When he bought that huge flat screen tv, then said it was for Kenzie to watch her educational programs - I literally thought the man could sale anything to anyone, if folks believed that. Also, something McKenzie (sp?) said in a later episode led me to believe the parents were presenting one fundie way, but maybe not living that way on their own. Kids will tell on ya home life in a NY minute. :) This is actually typical behavior seen in adult kids who branch away from these rigid religious circles. I just think it takes a certain personality to hide it. Then add the pressure of maintaining a brand on top of it. Easy to fall in double life that way. But yes, clammy skin was the confirmation for me. :)

52 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Have you ever been a part of a large family gathering?

This! I went to see my family last month. There were 8 -10 people there and even at night when I had my own room I felt like I couldn't even have a private phone conversation. AND the minute I decided that I was gonna meet up with an old high school friend for a drink they freaked out that I was leaving. 

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I didn't read them that way at all. Of course they were nervous and probably embarrassed, I've seen a lot of other conservative religious people who waited to have sex till they were married express the same embarrassment when announcing a pregnancy. It's like announcing to the world and their families, "Hey, we had sex!" Plus Jill was the first Duggar daughter to get pregnant. That's a lot of pressure and a pretty glaring spotlight to be under.

One of my roommates in law school was a former fundie Christian - got married at 18 in her small town, to a guy from her church as these things go. She says that she was so embarrassed about people knowing they had sex that she couldn't show her face to the big Sunday brunch organized in their honor the next day because she thought everybody would be looking at her like she'd had sex.

She ended up divorced at 23 and striking it out on her own.

11 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

I just knew he was lying about the life he projected. I figured he was smoking, drinking and/or binge eating.

Pretty much everyone knew that. Maybe not the smoking or drinking (though plenty suspected something like that), but the binge eating was clear as day. He boasted about it himself. It was very obvious to almost everyone that Josh was unhealthy, miserable, and not content with his life, and it was discussed at length, at least on FJ. We all knew something was going on, and I'm not sure anyone was truly shocked to discover he was unfaithful to Anna.

12 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

When he bought that huge flat screen tv, then said it was for Kenzie to watch her educational programs - I literally thought the man could sale anything to anyone, if folks believed that.

I don't remember them claiming it was only for their kid to watch educational programs, but I could be wrong. I do recall everyone seeming to believe that they were at least watching sports, and various movies, on it. No one seemed to find it particularly shocking and Josh and Anna didn't really seem to be trying to hide it.

14 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Also, something McKenzie (sp?) said in a later episode led me to believe the parents were presenting one fundie way, but maybe not living that way on their own. Kids will tell on ya home life in a NY minute. :)

*Mackynzie. So what did she say?

21 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Anyway, my theory about Josh goes deeper than that. I should not have thrown it out there so casually, today. There were several things going on with Josh that cued to him presenting one way and but living the other.

Yes, of course, you and only you were the one to think that. No one was suspecting anything about his unhealthy eating, no one was talking about how he avoided looking at anna as she talked about babies, no one suggested that he maybe had started drinking with his colleages, no one talked about the rumors of him going to strip clubs back in arkansas, no one discussed that he was unhappy. Absolutley anyone during all the time before the scandals. 

@TatiFish9 Your posts on Jill's pregnancy?

Bullshit.

All posited on your  reading of their facial expressions and manner? May I know your qualifications for such readings?

And contradicted by the reality of her due date.

I HATE this kind of effed up, stupid, non factually based and , to me, offensive speculation.

14 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I HATE this kind of effed up, stupid, non factually based and , to me, offensive speculation.

Join the club. 

23 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

@TatiFish9 Your posts on Jill's pregnancy?

Bullshit.

All posited on your  reading of their facial expressions and manner? May I know your qualifications for such readings?

And contradicted by the reality of her due date.

Oh please stop the histrionics. We all speculate here. I guess it is okay to guess on some things but not others. I specifically said you all were probably right but I do not agree. Address your own bull.

@TatiFish9 Feel free to pull speculation out of thin air. Don't even bother to think that we know tabloids read here, and misquote, and misunderstand. And when your baseless speculation ends up in such press, also feel free to forget the distress you can cause to people in a community that makes being judgmental  a field sport.

Carry on. 

I will continue to call such speculation bullshit.

And you ain't heard me being histrionic yet. 

But continue with the bull if that floats your boat.

I'm confused by the hate towards "baby bump" as a phrase. It's not like it's new. I've heard it being used since the 70's to describe the growth of a pregnant woman's abdomen, and it was probably used before that, but that's not something I can personally vouch for.

I don't mind 'baby bump' at all. The phrase I hate is an old fashioned one, that thankfully has almost fallen out of use - the word 'confinement' for pregnancy. 

It was still used when I was a child, but, thank Rufus, I haven't heard it in years.

talking about all this lingo for body "fat" reminded me of a body positive instagrammer (Allison Kimmey) who had a good way of thinking about it all. The original photo/caption is below. Hopefully it loads up! But the basic idea of it is that we all aren't fat, we have fat. And to add to the controversy on Joy's stomach area, I bet there is at least a little bit of pushing out. Jill definitely did that early on in her pregnancy. I would imagine pregnant ladies can get excited and want to see what the future looks like for their pregnancy (if that makes sense- I'm severely sleep deprived and trying to catch up on my guilty pleasure is not helping me!) 

15 minutes ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I'm confused by the hate towards "baby bump" as a phrase. It's not like it's new. I've heard it being used since the 70's to describe the growth of a pregnant woman's abdomen, and it was probably used before that, but that's not something I can personally vouch for.

It is the way it has been used in recent years more than the phrase itself. See my example above. 

47 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Oh please stop the histrionics. We all speculate here. I guess it is okay to guess on some things but not others. I specifically said you all were probably right but I do not agree. Address your own bull.

Histrionics. Totally. :pb_rollseyes: Actually, no, you're right. I'll admit it. This is me in real life as I type out my responses to your inane 'theories':

23 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

IME, failure to report is rarely prosecuted.  It is hard to prove when someone had knowledge and how much they knew.  And many of them claim ignorance of the law.  It is expensive to prosecute so they just fall by the wayside.  

This just pisses me off so much. I know I'm likely preaching to the choir, but failure to report/do anything to help just makes the trauma worse and re-victimizes.

As for the couples talking about how difficult it was to stay within their rules of courtship, they ever explicitly mentioned abstinence. And others have said, not having sex isn't hard. But they probably wanted to hold hands, frontal hugs, kiss. And since they're human, "sinful thoughts" would easily crop up. Sinful thoughts are much hard to avoid than sex.

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

I don't mind 'baby bump' at all. The phrase I hate is an old fashioned one, that thankfully has almost fallen out of use - the word 'confinement' for pregnancy. 

It was still used when I was a child, but, thank Rufus, I haven't heard it in years.

Confinement was actually used for childbirth. 

Dont really get the "hate" for the term "baby bump". What else would you use? Tabloids yakking on about female celebrities "flaunting" their bump or whatever is irritating, but then tabloids hate women in general (or at least I know the Daily Mail does).

Bump is new to me (in the past few years).  Back in the dark ages, when I was pregnant, it was just referred to as a "pregnant belly." Or "belly" alone. 

@mango_fandango It used to be used for the last six months of pregnancy! Absolutely ridiculous, but certainly among the upper classes, showing oneself whilst obviously pregnant was considered very "infra dig" - so you were "confined" to your home for the duration! They would actually speak of women going to the country for their "confinement".

This was an upper class thing - working classes just carried on working!

1 minute ago, Gillyweed said:

I prefer the word bump to the word belly. 

I figured someone would weigh in with that. Belly is actually the correct term, scientifically: 

bel·ly

ˈbelē/

noun

the front part of the human trunk below the ribs, containing the stomach and bowels.

One thing about speculation, especially unlikely speculation, I think we all agree there are plenty of awful things about the Duggars that are proven or pretty conclusive to discuss.

To beat our pots and pans yelling into the wind that the  Duggars practice Pearl methods, train their daughters to be sex slaves, have children as the primary caretaker of infants, hit them with metal rods, insufficient food, concealing  sexual abuse, cyber bullying, irresponsible prenatal care, little parental interaction, hell I could go on for days. 

I get it, it's boring and dull to say it everyday, day after day, but it's still so, so important.  These people are guilty of terrible things. We don't need to imagine any worse.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:09 AM, CrazyMumma said:

.  I think she is just doing the.. "eat anything I feel like coz I'm pregnant." I only gain 10kg during pregnancy..

I see a lot of people posting this as a reason why Joy seems to have such a large 'bump".  But the truth is, if you eat a lot during pregnancy,  the weight doesn't just go to your abdomen, it goes everywhere. 

Eating a lot, later in pregnancy can impact the size of the fetus, but in the first timester,  babies grow at pretty much the same pace.  So even if a woman has gained 5 pounds or 15, a 12 week fetus is going to be pretty much the same size from one woman to the next.  Unique differences in why some babies are 7 pounds and some are 9 pounds don't show until the much later in the pregnancy.  This is why the earlier ultrasounds are considered more reliable in predicting gestational age, because there just simply isn't much variation in the size of an 8, 10, 12 and even 14 week fetus.  There is however much more variation in the size of a 34 week fetus from one to the other, because genetics, mom's diet, diabetes status, other other things will be influencing the size of the baby. 

What we absolutely know for sure, are these two possibilities.  She either got pregnant before marriage or she got pregnant soon after marriage.  Both are possible, but only one is probable.  Most of agree it is highly improbable that she got pregnant before the wedding.   

Now until we have more information could we just move on.  Clearly whatever the circumstances,  Joy seems overjoyed with being pregnant, and like many pregnant women, she is proud to show off her growing tummy.  I think it is safe to assume she isn't filled with shame or embarrassment over this, which also lends support to the idea that this is a honeymoon baby. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived