IGNORED

Joy and Austin 14: Pregnant with Their First

Destiny

2 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Chunky Monkey is my favourite food of all time!

Me too!!!!!!!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I love making soups. Chili, chicken corn, lentil, baked potato soups. Yummm. With lots of fixings and toppings and rolls or a baguette. And pumpkin pie for dessert because FALL!!! LOVE soup! One i want to make but haven't mastered is a butternut squash soup. Made one last year and it was sweet. It was weird. Anyone have a good butternut squash recipe?

Will you share your recipe for baked potato soup?   I love making soups but the recipes I found are a pain in the @$$ - so I go to Chili's for theirs.  

Just now, singsingsing said:

No colder than where I live now! :my_biggrin: That is pretty much the one thing I hate about this region, though. We don't get major earthquakes, we don't get hurricanes, we usually don't get bad tornadoes, there aren't too many bugs or animals that can kill you... but dear God, the cold! (I'm a total wimp. Both sides of my family are originally from way farther north, and I don't think I'd last two seconds up there in the winter.)

I was born and raised in the snowbelt of Ontario - hate the snow, hate the cold.

1 minute ago, SamiKatz said:

I was born and raised in the snowbelt of Ontario - hate the snow, hate the cold.

Lake effect? Yeah, that's brutal. Thankfully I'm outside of that, but I still can't stand the winters here. Last one wasn't so bad, but I thought '13 and '14 were going to kill me. That was the polar vortex. Never again. Please.

I'm currently  watching some Titans football-it'll do till my Preds are back.  Ready to see that banner in the rafters and hopefully the cup in 2018 :)

Banana bread is the best.  And yes nuts in bread are horrible but Butter Pecan ice cream is the bees knees lol

Just now, singsingsing said:

Lake effect? Yeah, that's brutal. Thankfully I'm outside of that, but I still can't stand the winters here. Last one wasn't so bad, but I thought '13 and '14 were going to kill me. That was the polar vortex. Never again. Please.

I lived in Sasktaoon for a year.  Beautiful place but well and truly the coldest place I've ever been.  It went to -20 at the end of November and didn't get above that until the end of January.  

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was thinking it was time for the parrot. Maybe it's not dead, just pining for the fjords.

I love pea soup, but I skip the ham, because old and cholesterol.

If you're missing that smokey flavor, try adding chipotles in adobo sauce. Saute them when you add the garlic. They add an incredible dimension of flavor -- just one (chopped) with a teaspoon or tablespoon of the sauce. They're excellent in bean dishes and/or greens, or anywhere you might skip out on ham.  Here's some additional info about them, for the curious: http://www.finecooking.com/article/ingredient-profile-chipotle-chiles-en-adobo

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Tht winter was awful. My school actually shut down one day because it was too cold to go outside. There were actual warnings about getting frostbite by being outside for just a few minutes.

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

We don't get major earthquakes, we don't get hurricanes, we usually don't get bad tornadoes, there aren't too many bugs or animals that can kill you...

This right here is why I always say I'm fine with living in Michigan. Yes the cold is annoying, but it's liveable. I actually prefer the cold to extreme heat anyway, so it works. I've been especially appreciative of living in MI while seeing all the other weather-related issues going on in the U.S. this summer. A really cold and/or snowy winter can be crappy, but it's usually not deadly and eventually snow melts and everything is back to normal, unlike those who have to deal with the destruction that comes with hurricanes, floods, fires, and tornados. I'll take my cold winters (there's a reason why the state is shaped like a mitten! :my_biggrin:). 

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Tht winter was awful. My school actually shut down one day because it was too cold to go outside. There were actual warnings about getting frostbite by being outside for just a few minutes.

Are you in the prairies?  Another remembrance of Saskatoon is the "how long you can be outside before your skin will freeze" portion of the weather cast.

2 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Are you in the prairies?  Another remembrance of Saskatoon is the "how long you can be outside before your skin will freeze" portion of the weather cast.

No, it was actually in Michigan. Close enough to Canada that I remember a sign saying "we don't accept Canadian currency." That winter was pretty bad around there too.

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I remember that because we got your cold air all the way where I live and we could've died!  It was like, upper 30's some mornings!  (  lol, I know, I know.  To my credit thought,  I lived in the NE half my life.  I know cold.  Not Dakota's or Canada cold however.  I got spoiled.)

11 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I remember that! I took this screen shot one night (I live near Detroit). I was outraged! :pb_lol::

detroitwindchill.jpg.f2bacdb7621a335876de22da2465b7bc.jpg

My dad is from northern Ontario. He told me it snowed on his birthday (early August) more than once. When my grandparents were first married, they lived in the mountains in northeastern Quebec. When my grandma brought my uncle home from the hospital (mid September) there was three feet of snow on the ground. No, that's not an exaggeration. She once opened her front door and couldn't leave the house because the snow was up over the height of the door.

No thanks.

I'm allergic to bananas. The pervasiveness of banana bread at coffee shops makes me ragey. Esp pre-coffee.

That said, I used to develop recipes for chefs. This is one for Beer and Cheese Soup that's actually won two awards.

Cream of Beer and Cheese Soup

Ingredients

1 ½ cup finely diced carrots

1 ½ cup finely diced onion

1 ½ cup finely diced celery

5 cloves garlic, crushed

250g butter

8 cups chicken broth

36 oz. Amber Brown Ale

2/3 cup corn starch slurry

2 cups heavy cream

2 ½ cups old yellow cheddar cheese, grated

2 ½ cups smoked gouda, grated

2 cups parmesan cheese, grated

2 cups Monterey jack, grated

2 Tbsp dry mustard

2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat and sweat the diced vegetables and garlic

Add chicken broth, beer and corn starch slurry

Heat to mixture to boiling, then reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes

In a separate sauce pan, heat cream in a separate saucepan on medium heat

When cream is warm, but not boiling lower heat to medium low and gradually add cheese, stirring constantly.

Once all the cheese has been added to cream, and broth mixture is done simmering and has thickened, add cheese mixture gradually to the broth mixture

Lastly add dry mustard, Worcestershire, and Tabasco

Stir well to incorporate all ingredients

Taste for seasoning and add appropriate amounts of salt and pepper

Finished soup may be refrigerated in an airtight container and reheated or kept warm

NOTE: Once the cheese has been incorporated DO NOT allow this soup to come to a boil

And for @fluffernutter here's one for Butternut Squash Soup:

Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Ingredients

300mL Vegetable oil

3kg Butternut squash, peeled and cubed

500g Carrots, peeled and cubed

500g Yellow yams, peeled and cubed

500g Onions, diced

100g garlic, diced

150g ginger, grated

20g graham marsala

30g curry powder

20g cumin

20g coriander

40g turmeric

15g allspice, crushed

40g honey 

7mL cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

12L water

900mL coconut milk

Directions

In a soup pot, heat the oil and sweat the onions ginger and garlic

Add the vegetables and cook for about 20 minutes on very low heat

Add the spices, allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes

Add the water, visions, salt and pepper

Cook for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are very mushy

Remove from heat and puree

Add the coconut milk

Sieve

Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use

Here's my banana bread recipe.  I took two recipes I liked and combined elements

Jenn's Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

2 eggs

3-4 overripe bananas

1 tsp vanilla

Few pinches cinnamon

Pinch of nutmeg

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat butter, white sugar and brown sugar together until creamy. Beat in eggs, then banana.  Mix in vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Beat in flour and baking soda.  Pour into a greased loaf pan.  Bake for 60- 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I remember that! I took this screen shot one night (I live near Detroit):

Yup! That sounds about right. That winter I remember being so annoyed when a friend back home complained about the weather being in the high 20s. I was like, that's positive digits! DOUBLE digits on top of that!!! You have no room to complain! :pb_lol:

And snowing that time of year sounds horrifying. Though I did have to wear a winter coat at my May graduation.

Thank you, @Kittikatz, I'm saving that recipe!

1 hour ago, Henk12 said:

Oh banana bread sounds fantastic. You know what I hate though? When people put nuts in it. WHY? YOU RUINED PERFECTLY GOOD BANANA BREAD. 

I'm indifferent when it comes to nuts in banana bread, but I can relate to that feeling. It really bugs me when I'm in a cafeteria or something like that and there's one dish that could be vegetarian, like green beans, and there's meat in it. (I bring up green beans because I love green beans and it's particularly disappointing to see bacon in them.:pb_lol:) Just, why??? Obviously at home people should make it however they want, but it's just frustrating other times. At least in my college cafeteria I often ate with a couple of Hindu and Muslim girls, so we could commiserate over unnecessary beef and/or bacon. :pb_lol:

Damn I'm such a wimp now. It's 12 degrees and I'm already thinking that's cold. :( 

I just had some really delicious, mozzarella sticks. I have a food baby the size of Joy's baby bump, and I am done. I don't think that moving is in my future! 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived