IGNORED

Maxwell 12: Eleven years of blogging, still got nothing to say

samurai_sarah

On 9/29/2017 at 1:35 AM, Ozlsn said:

This just made me so sorry for Sarah. The fact that she hasn't had the opportunity to grow and develop as an independent human being is heartbreaking. In the unlikely event that she does find someone and marries, then how old is she going to feel having her first child when the others in her social circle are so much younger? Also at what point does she basically say enough and stop going to the "young, unmarried women" groups? When she's post-menopausal? Peri-menopausal? 40? Is there an "unmarried spinster" category in Steve's mindset? Because he may have to create one the way things are going.. I really hope she finds someone and/or rebels and leaves but I can't see either happening at this point. :(

I suggested that before, about not automatically adding "young" to the term "single", and how Sarah could write about that, interviewing never-marrieds and long-term widows in the nursing homes/retirement homes that they do church in. All Steve ever said about that possibility, is that when he and Teri have died, the house belongs to whoever's still not married. Nothing about if there's only one of them, or the 3 daughters, or maybe John and Jesse. But, as Gigi lives alone, I'm sure that connection will be made soon.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve has said that the house will go to the girls if they do not marry. They did an article about it a few years ago. The girls would just be so happy to live there for the rest of their lives. They'll also be able to get jobs, too, since they have such great skills with Sarah being a writer, Anna being a nutritionist and Mary because an artist. I'm looking for the article now to link, but haven't found it yet. 

Here it is:

http://articles.titus2.com/older-daughters-living-at-home/

Thanks @anjulibai.

I still think that article is pie in the sky.  Especially this: 

They told us they aren’t concerned about what to do when we are gone because they are already income producing and know they can be self supporting should they need to be.

I don't know about that.  Sarah's books have a very limited audience and she depends on Titus2 and CCI for marketing and sales.  Their book-keeping and supposed business skills are as common as mud, and their supposed IT skills are already dated.   No one would hire Anna as a nutritionist or personal trainer.  As for Mary, I doubt that she could support herself with a face painting business.  Anna and Mary might be great nannies, I suppose.

As for references ... perhaps Sarah has a couple that are not from her brothers.

The only people who'd trust those three charming nitwits around their kids are fundies who wouldn't be able to afford maintaining them in the style to which they're accustomed. I think their only serious job option is cleaner / housekeeper for elderly people. They would actually be good at that, it's basically what they're currently doing, except they'd be paid for it.

Realistically though they're more likely to move in with one of their brothers and become aunt-moms and general domestic slaves. Can't imagine the sister-in-laws being too happy about the arrangement, but hey, that's what you get when you sign up to Maxhell.

Sarah and Anna are at ages where they could make different choices as to their work and living environment if they so desired, but they prefer it here.

REALLY? I mean REALLY? I guess in theory that is an accurate statement but in practice neither of them is going to say that. 

We talked with our girls about the questions that were asked in this e-mail, and we asked them how they would answer those questions. They said that if they don’t marry, they couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. They said they love living here.

They love living in the only place they have ever lived.  

I also wonder how much money they each bring in. I mean if they do get to live in the house after Steve and Teri die at least they won't have a mortgage so they might have enough to get by between the three of them. 

Our culture typically says for young people to leave home when they are eighteen, and often the parents are happy to be free of them. We love conversations with our adult children. We like doing things with them. We seek their counsel, and they ask ours. Plainly and simply, we love each other and like to be around each other. Allowing our adult, unmarried children to live in our home provides accountability for them that they have wanted, and it is economical as well. They are our best friends, and we are delighted that they want to live in our home. Our girls are welcome here until marriage, and if they are never married, they can stay until we are gone, and then the house will belong to them.

Or you could let them move out and enjoy your relationship with them as they become truly independent adults.  You don't have to live with your adult children to do things with them or seek advice from them. Although I have to wonder what exactly topics exactly do they seek advice from the girls about? 

16 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

The girls really don't have skills that could get them a job, besides maybe being a nanny since all see to really love kids. 

I wouldn't recommend them as dog walkers either.  ;)

Sarah walks the dog "if it is possible."  

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I wouldn't recommend them as dog walkers either.  ;)

Sarah walks the dog "if it is possible."  

I make a good living as a dog walker. Part of the reason is that I am very personable. Unlike the Maxwell girls who can't be alone I have no problem being alone in my house or in anyone else's house. 

As others have said, I highly, highly doubt those girls really had a choice. They're not stupid, they know what their father's like. Despite what he's said, he's crippled them so that they wouldn't be able to really thrive on their own without their parents. 

1 hour ago, Snarfblatt said:

Although I have to wonder what exactly topics exactly do they seek advice from the girls about? 

"Do these buttons contrast with that fabric?  I've been staring at them for so long I can't tell anymore."

2 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Realistically though they're more likely to move in with one of their brothers and become aunt-moms and general domestic slaves. Can't imagine the sister-in-laws being too happy about the arrangement, but hey, that's what you get when you sign up to Maxhell.

I could see them being happy, and not fake-happy, about that sort of situation. They would be gaining a free maid and babysitter and tutor all in one.

I wouldn't want those young women as nannies for my grandchildren. As nannies they'd be banned from talking about religion and therefore have nothing to say. The children would be severely deprived of normal human communication ... oh, wait ... isn't that normal for Maxhell?

15 minutes ago, courtlylove said:

I wouldn't want those young women as nannies for my grandchildren. As nannies they'd be banned from talking about religion and therefore have nothing to say. The children would be severely deprived of normal human communication ... oh, wait ... isn't that normal for Maxhell?

I cringe when I see any of the Maxwells doing stuff like face painting with kids not related to them.  I want to shake the kids parents and say "what is wrong with you, the Maxwell's suck!"

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

The girls really don't have skills that could get them a job, besides maybe being a nanny since all see to really love kids. 

My daughter and SIL have had au pairs for about 6 years now (the au pairs can only stay 2 years) and I can tell you there is no way they would bring in a Anna or Mary to live with them and trust them with the 3 children, based simply on their need to convert them all and talk about where they'll all be going when they die, and their being not educated enough to be able to help with homework (the au pairs they have all have a 4 year degree, which is a requirement of the agency they work with).  

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I make a good living as a dog walker. Part of the reason is that I am very personable.

I remembered that - and I am very sure you are personable.  :)

I don't have a regular dog walker because I work from home but we do have a list of three walkers and sitters who we use as necessary.  If one is booked up solid we move to the next on the list - and they have never failed us.

Worth their weight in gold, every single one of them.  People I trust in my house, to sleep there over night, and with my dogs (even the sadly late and very tricky epi-hound.)

I would not trust a Maxwell with my dogs.  So I really wouldn't trust one with a child either.

I love how the Maxwells and other fundies always say that secular parents all encourage their kids to leave at 18. What a crock. Some teens may leave at 17/18 but most of my family and friends' kids were at home until their early to mid 20's, usually after college or university or working for a bit to get a first and last rent sorted and an ideal first place chosen! When they leave, they do come back and visit and have adult conversations! 

Yes that choice is highly individual. I and all my siblings moved out at different ages and times and paces(one moved to another province for a temporary job and the "permanent" in that took time) and all were before marriage. There's nothing in the Bible about which choice is right or wrong. Jesus never really addressed that, though He wasn't asked either. He had His Nazareth home as "home base" but did a lot of travelling, and it was WOMEN who financially supported Him. Every family is different, and often when one reached adulthood, the plans the parents had, they end up changing anyway. Like "they stay till they're married" or "they can stay till age 21/25/30 and then need to pay rent" but it gets re-evaluated. If this works for the Maxwells, bless them. It DOES appear Steve's TRYING to make up for it by letting Sarah get a dog, fly by herself to visit friends, etc. He used to be strong in thinking that "young women can't go anywhere by themselves" but he never said what made him change his mind about that.

The male Maxwells seem to be somewhat established in a "career" and are relatively self sufficient but Rufus help the females if they had to work outside the home. They would be terrified at the interview and would not present themselves well. Their lack of interaction with others outside their belief system would be a hindrance. I don't think they would be able to function in the outside world. All this is thanks to Steve.

9 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Thanks @anjulibai.

Sarah's books have a very limited audience and she depends on Titus2 and CCI for marketing and sales.  Their book-keeping and supposed business skills are as common as mud, and their supposed IT skills are already dated.   No one would hire Anna as a nutritionist or personal trainer.  As for Mary, I doubt that she could support herself with a face painting business.  Anna and Mary might be great nannies, I suppose.

If the three daughters live together after they inherit the house, they might collectively bring in enough to pay the taxes, bills, and upkeep. Or maybe the brothers will help with the bills in exchange for assistance with child care, housework, etc.? I wonder if Steve owns stocks or any other assets (i.e. real estate) he can pass down to his kids?

This discussion makes me think of that blog article someone posted a few weeks ago. (It may be linked on this thread; I am too lazy to check.) The author noted the Maxwells' isolation and their lack of networks. Thinking of the three daughters, they don't even have a church community to rely on. If they went to any kind of church, they would be in contact with people who might hire them for occasional jobs, or recommend them to friends. But that won't happen at the nursing home church, unless the nursing home itself needs employees. (They often do, but the Maxwells would require training.)

Working in the nursing home would be a problem unless the management was very accommodating because they would have to tend to males too. The Maxwell girls would be both uncomfortable and embarrassed. I think they would rather turn down a job if it required taking care of men.

4 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

But that won't happen at the nursing home church, unless the nursing home itself needs employees.

Oy vey.  I can't imagine a Maxwell girl aide putting me on the toilet and asking me where I'm going, but meaning when I die, not going on the potty.

New post up and it’s from In Christ  Chris and he refers to Stevie as ‘Grandpa Maxwell’

A bit formal?  Does sort of highlight the cult of the great leader....

Stevie your surname was never Maxwelll

I didn't move out until I was 31, and even now, 2 years later, I still see my mom every week or every other week. She helps me with cleaning and organizing and I help her with technology and decorating. But it should be noted that I have significant learning disabilities as well as autism, and I'm incapable of doing most math or my finances on my own. I work very part time and get social security, but I also volunteer a lot, see friends and am active in a religious community. I guess what I am trying to say is that here is no excuse for people like the Maxwells and Arndts to keep their kids locked up. The world is not that scary. People can learn, and continue to learn, no matter what their age.

I don't know about Anna and Mary. They could get married yet. But I fear that Sarah's best hope now is that Steve dies sooner, rather than later, and gives her (and Terri) a chance to be a single woman. Because despite their pasted on smiles they are not happy. They are isolated and confined and enmeshed. And they cannot escape because Steve has convinced them that the door doesn't exist.

3 hours ago, johnhugh said:

New post up and it’s from In Christ  Chris and he refers to Stevie as ‘Grandpa Maxwell’

A bit formal?  Does sort of highlight the cult of the great leader....

Stevie your surname was never Maxwelll

Should be Grandpa Bargar.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived