IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, FakePigtails said:

Chocolate chips aren't always available in other countries, and in any case, chocolate chip cookies were invented in the US. Maybe it's gotten better now but as of about 10 years ago it wasn't uncommon for American students going abroad to take chocolate chips with them to make the cookies for new friends and host families.

And sometimes you just want one thing, and no substitute will do, damn it. :)

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a list of foods that are either commonly eaten in the US or were created here (for anyone interested):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_foods

And yes. Chocolate chip cookies are an American dessert. They were invented in Whitman, Massachusetts by Ruth Graves Wakefield and Sue Brides in 1938. At the time, Wakefield and her husband were the owners of the Toll House Inn - she reached a deal with Nestlé where they printed her recipe on bags of chocolate and she got free chocolate for life. Their recipe is the only one I have ever or will ever use because it's perfection.

Other nations may have chocolate chip cookies now, but it is an American recipe and creation. 

All right guys, hear me out- peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. The sweet, yummy peanut butter with slightly salty cheese (I prefer American) is shockingly good. A childhood classic for me. It was weird to everyone else in elementary school, though, so I don't think it's a regional thing, just me being a weird kid.

Hows that grifting going, Derick? After this weekend we Americans are going to need to rebuilt the greater Houston area + a big chunk of south Florida + Puerto Rico + the US Virgin Islands + our Caribbean neighbors, and who knows where else.

If any leg humper think this is the right time to help pay for Derick's fake ministry degree,  I volunteer to personally slap them.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Why is every thread that I look at discussing food? :laughing-jumpingpurple:

If any of you UK people are traveling across the pond can I put in an order for McVities dark chocolate digestive biscuits, Hobnobs, and Cadbury's Flakes and Fruit and Nut.

Yes, I can buy them here (at a price) but they don't taste the same.  The chocolate is made by Hershy.

We have those in Canada .....I don't think they are made with Hersheys.

I think a Fluff-a-nutter sandwich is an American thing. Maybe remoulade sauce, but that is Cajun so it might have some French influence.  Velveeta, definitely Velveeta.

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We get Marmite

You can keep it. My English father loves the stuff. It tastes like sadness.

27 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

We have those in Canada .....I don't think they are made with Hersheys.

So what can I bribe you with to send me some?  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

As an aside, I used to live a few blocks east of the Nestle plant, and a few blocks west of the Cadbury plant in Toronto.  I used to always say that on some days, my world smelled like chocolate.  :)

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'd happily send you some Palimpsest. All of my nieces and nephews live abroad so I'm a pro at sending overseas parcels, and if not I'm coming over in 9 weeks (yay). Free Jinger has got me through a few dark times of late, so I'd be happy to pay it back. Genuinely.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Here's a list of foods that are either commonly eaten in the US or were created here (for anyone interested):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_foods 

I don't know, i wouldn't really trust that list, it says Bread, in general, is an american food, an they also list mozzarella :pb_lol:

And oh my, they are going to talk about chorizo over my cold dead body, and i don't even like it

Well, there are some foods that are definitely American. "General Tso's Chicken" springs to mind. As far as I'm aware, it's virtually unheard of in China, and the rest of the world. So, there's that.

German Chocolate Cake is also American!  It was originally called German's Chocolate Cake after it's creator Samuel German, who created the dark baking chocolate used to make it.  

I don't know how popular that is outside of the US.  

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

DH eats peanut butter and butter sandwiches. 

I have to admit that I do as well!

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't know, i wouldn't really trust that list, it says Bread, in general, is an american food, an they also list mozzarella :pb_lol:

And oh my, they are going to talk about chorizo over my cold dead body, and i don't even like it

As I said, it's a list of foods commonly eaten here OR foods that were created here. Meaning that some foods listed were created in America and some foods are simply eaten here a lot even though they originated elsewhere.

ETA: From the link:

IMG_4850.thumb.PNG.f1584a2ef3e9f14c0e21fa82cad17898.PNG

I have been trying to figure out what I would serve if someone wanted an "American" meal or just a regional favorite. I live near a popular area for BBQ. My grandmas were both excellent cooks who passed many favorite recipes along, one with Yankee roots and one with Southern roots.  Maybe I would make something kind of off the wall like ham loaf or a big batch of chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes  fried chicken is always a favorite. 

You guys talking about American food are making me want Juniour mints! There used to be an American sweet shop in Belfast that sold them and I broke my heart the day that shop closed down! 

I cant get a hold of them anywhere and there's a definite hole in my life without them 

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

As an aside, I used to live a few blocks east of the Nestle plant, and a few blocks west of the Cadbury plant in Toronto.  I used to always say that on some days, my world smelled like chocolate.  :)

That sounds amazing!!!

I can't even imagine that

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We always load our luggage with canned pumpkin for my MIL. We fill that space with stuff we can't buy HERE, for our trip back to the States. lol

As for peanut butter and "weird things" - I had a neighbor who put peanut butter on his hotdogs.

Elizabeth Taylor put peanut butter on her hamburgers.

3 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

The nabisco factory used to be not far from us on a road we traveled often...it always smelled like cookies driving past there. They are in the process of tearing the factory down and putting up a Wawa :pb_rollseyes: 

1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

You guys talking about American food are making me want Juniour mints! There used to be an American sweet shop in Belfast that sold them and I broke my heart the day that shop closed down! 

I cant get a hold of them anywhere and there's a definite hole in my life without them 

They're $1 per box here. They're everywhere!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived