IGNORED

Dillards 40: Majoring in Grifting

Coconut Flan

The only kind of sandwich I would eat as a child was a mozzarella cheese(melted) and barbeque sauce sandwich, always on a bun not bread. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

You guys talking about American food are making me want Juniour mints! There used to be an American sweet shop in Belfast that sold them and I broke my heart the day that shop closed down! 

I cant get a hold of them anywhere and there's a definite hole in my life without them 

Can you order them from Amazon?

1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

You guys talking about American food are making me want Juniour mints! There used to be an American sweet shop in Belfast that sold them and I broke my heart the day that shop closed down! 

I cant get a hold of them anywhere and there's a definite hole in my life without them 

There's such a thing- An American Sweet Shop?  I was in Scotland for a couple days and was ridiculously excited when I realized I could get Tunnocks Snowballs from the source.  Not the American pink marshmallow balls, but marshmallow fluff with a thin chocolate coating and coconut.  They are wicked common in Newfoundland.  Along with Caramel Logs...heaven forbid they stop making them.  When Zest stopped making mustard pickles there were people buying em by the case and memes aplenty.

My time spent near American PXs got me hooked on Payday bars.  Why they aren't mainstream in Canada baffles me.  Freak Lunchbox is one of the few places I know that carries em on a regular basis.

I recently found my source for Pineapple Crush for those times I'm in Ontario...the corner store gets the stuff from Texas from some distributor in Toronto...but it's not the same.

Elizabeth Taylor put peanut butter on her hamburgers.

There's a restaurant in Tulsa that has it a hamburger on their menu with Peanut Butter. It's suppose to be the best thing on their menu

I used to eat chip sandwiches growing up. I'd take a white hamburger or hot dog bun and, you guessed it, stuff it full of chips. Just thinking about it now makes my stomach hurt!

My weirdest thing as a kid was I'd put Macaroni and Cheese in taco shells. 

16 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

My weirdest thing as a kid was I'd put Macaroni and Cheese in taco shells. 

brilliant idea - thank you 

next time use cheese slices 

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

DH eats peanut butter and butter sandwiches. He thinks peanut butter and jelly is gross.

My Dad and I are also fans of peanutbutter and butter sandwiches. That's what I always took to school for lunch. My brother took cheez whiz and butter sandwiches, yuck.

If someone asked me to make a traditional "Canadian" meal in my region that wasn't just your basic meat and potatoes it would perogies and cabbage rolls, oddly enough. Most who immigrated to this area were slavic and the food reflects it. Although my FIL went to work in the Ukraine a few years ago and he said the food is not the same. Kind of like Chinese food in North America is not the same as actual Chinese food.

6 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

All right guys, hear me out- peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. The sweet, yummy peanut butter with slightly salty cheese (I prefer American) is shockingly good. A childhood classic for me. It was weird to everyone else in elementary school, though, so I don't think it's a regional thing, just me being a weird kid.

I always tried to hide my peanut butter and pickle relish sandwiches when I ate one at school or on a field trip. I got teased enough for other reasons. :my_blush:

5 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

As an aside, I used to live a few blocks east of the Nestle plant, and a few blocks west of the Cadbury plant in Toronto.  I used to always say that on some days, my world smelled like chocolate.  :)

I once lived about halfway between a bread factory and a tortilla factory. I used to get such cravings for carbs! :)

Lol my reaction to the only American foods is ...."and Canada" for almost all. We're (overly) sensitive about being lumped in sometimes. 

I liked to eat butter plain and mixed yogurt and applesauce as a kid

And thanks @Whomphereitis for sharing the application! Wow requiring them to pledge a tithe, ad hoc donations AND school fees is a lot. Greedy, greedy cross church. 

@SapphireSlytherin,  like your dad, I'm not a peanut butter and jelly person.  However, I just take my peanut butter plain on whole wheat.  My mom used to make these things I've started calling fluffernutter cookies.  They're saltines with peanut butter and a half a marshmallow (or marshmallow fluff) toasted in the oven at 350F (177C) until the marshmallow is melted and the crackers are golden. 

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  I eead somewhere that most if not all canned pumpkin sold in the US is actually canned squash.  I don't know if they specified butternut or acorn or hubbard, but then isn't pumpkin just a squash anyway?

@Palimpsest yes, the Cadbury change to Hershey North America broke my heart. Their dark isn't nearly as good, so it's still paying a bit extra to get Ritter's dark with hazelnuts and hiding it from mr. cascarones who's a big snacker.

The Elvis Presley was a house favorite (peanut butter and banana sandwiches, pan fried). I keep looping around the Marmite at the grocer, blanching at the price, but I'm finding pregnancy cravings are not the same sort of willpower wait it out. 

Little me loved tea sandwiches, grate the veggies from the garden, mix with cream cheese and cut with cookie cutters. I felt so freaking fancy at school lunch, like ooh your mum cut the crusts off. I'm eating shamrocks and hearts and have no regrets, but I'll totally trade if you've got something good. Except for my stab the orange straw thing, I'd get in trouble if I lost that. Citra sipper the internet tells me, is that still a thing Mums? 

1 hour ago, nst said:

brilliant idea - thank you 

next time use cheese slices 

It was at a restaurant called Ryans. I did it once by accident as a kid and it made my Nanna laugh so it became a thing. 

5 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

Can you order them from Amazon?

Have you tried aquarterof.com? 

There's a very expert lady has a sweetshop on the little sidestreet between the Garda station and harbour street in mullingar. I'll be dhe either stocks them or knows where they can be got. 

I am laughing about the baby with a tortilla on his head. Pretty clever I'd say. I crocheted baby bonnets for my sons, and my mother took the younger son's bonnet to El Salvador (Sintral America!) where she was helping widows build houses. I hated to part with it but my son had outgrown it, and she said it would be cute on a baby there. My mother is a nutty feminist lesbian 82-year-old who is the coolest person I know. She does not crochet. 

7 hours ago, LadyPriss said:

When Zest stopped making mustard pickles there were people buying em by the case and memes aplenty.

Oh my goodness the mustard pickles, I remember people auctioning them off for insane amounts of money. Another one was Fussels tinned cream a few years ago, people driving all over creation to get some. 

I just moved home after living in NL for 10 years and while I haven't missed anything yet  (except for partridgeberries) I think it will be a matter of time before I miss birchbeer. 

As far as peanut butter goes, the only thing I've ever actually liked peanut butter on is toutons, a Newfoundland breakfast food made of fried bread dough. I've only ever seen one other person eat them this way but oh my goodness it's so good. Otherwise I think peanut butter is best eaten with Oreos or off the spoon, and only crunchy peanut butter. 

PB is also quite handy. It'll get gum out of your hair and a spoonful almost always cures hiccups.

Growing up it was also used for stick on pranks, harmless enough since it could be wiped away or just melt off in the heat. 

It's still the middle of the night here, but woke up famished so peanut butter and banana english muffin it is. I deeply love english muffies, english muffin bread with smashed berries on top (not as sweet as jam, but utterly delicious). 

I think I remember seeing the huge vat jars of it in the background and wondering how much it weighed, hoping the kids weren't having to carry it. 

My daughter lives quite close to a coffee beneficio (processing/roasting plant). OMG, when they are roasting it's pure heaven. 

12 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

It was at a restaurant called Ryans. 

Ryan's Steakhouse? I was so upset when they were replaced by Golden Corral in my hometown.

22 hours ago, Darwinesque said:

I'd happily send you some Palimpsest. All of my nieces and nephews live abroad so I'm a pro at sending overseas parcels, and if not I'm coming over in 9 weeks (yay). Free Jinger has got me through a few dark times of late, so I'd be happy to pay it back. Genuinely.

You are so sweet!  Thank you so much. :562479a21db1d_Somethingsinthatthurairlove:

As it happens my nephew and his new wife are coming to visit next week with more UK chocolate than I should be able to consume in the next 6 months.  So I will not take you up on that very generous offer - this time.

Free Jinger definitely gets us through many dark times.  As your offer proves.:group-hug:

3 hours ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

Ryan's Steakhouse? I was so upset when they were replaced by Golden Corral in my hometown.

Ryan's was my favorite restaurant when I was a kid! I pretty much only ate their mac & cheese and dessert bar, but I loved that restaurant. It was replaced by a "Buck Nekkid BBQ" in my hometown.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived