IGNORED

Dillards 39: From SOS to Peddling ALERT

Coconut Flan

I can't believe Derick is my least favorite Duggar in-law BY FAR. Granted, Austin and Jeremy are still new to this scene, but at least they provide for their families w/o begging others. Derick just seems so selfish to me. Maybe he should have just stayed single until his wanderlust subsided? I know people knocked Ben for not having a job when Ben and Jessa barely got together, but he was like 19 compared to Derick's almost 30's ass. Also, Ben did have a job as a teen with window repairs and an insurance company. We also should consider Ben working for the Duggar family also counts.....more than begging for money like Dickwad. I don't know, looking back maybe people were a bit harsh towards Ben? He was pretty young when he started courting. I have said this before, but i'm around his age and Ben has a lot more going for him compared to some other guys in our demographic (kids and wives included).

Another thing, was DerJill the ones who made an IG post about giving away a box of donuts they got free to a homeless couple? Then the homeless couple commented that they didn't want their picture posted and it was just a weird interaction in general? I was searching for the post last week to read the comments but I couldn't find it. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I volunteer as Tribute!

Jill was the most duped by her spouse. He appears to be most like Jim Bob; grifty, grubby, has to have the last word and have people laugh at his terrible little quips.

I don't think Derick is much like JB.  True JB is a grifter, but I think he is somewhat of a hard working grifter.  He doesn't just come right out and ask for money while he does nothing.  He is planning and scheming and making connections and working deals.  I imagine he stays fairly busy with his various businesses, even though they all seem to have a grifting base to them.  And as JB never looks grubby.  Out of style, yes, and with a helmet head, but he always looks like  he got a shower in each day. 

Derick is a let down.  He had promise and seemed to have a gentle sort of 'christian hippy' vibe at first.  But something has happened to him, or maybe it was always there and it just was hidden, but he is not what he seemed at first.  I feel for Jill because had they been allowed a more normal dating period and longer engagement, perhaps some of his idiocy would have been revealed.  Instead, Jill was encouraged to sign up for a covenant marriage with this guy and told she must be lead by her new headship. 

People do sometimes feel called to take a new career path and that might lead the family to different living situations, etc, but the issue with Derick, is he could have accomplished his dream of mission work in a more legit way if he had bothered to get the right kind education, and encouraged Jill to get some education as well.  He may have even qualified for some student loans. 

Begging for money, even a fairly small amount like 6K is just in such bad taste when everyone knows that his inlaws are wealthy and that they have free housing from JB and likely driving free cars from the Duggar Car lot.  We know they earn money from the show, and even if it is just 50,000 for a season,  that is still really good money for people who have no mortgage or car payment.  Plus being so close to the TTH, means they are probably eating most meals over there so their grocery bill is probably small.

And, Again, if all along JB and M had a hard line about the kidults making their own way in life, we could see that maybe Jill and Derick do have a shortage of money.  But we know that JB has given Jill a mansion right after marriage.  He is letting her live in a second mansion now.  He let Josh/Anna and Jessa and Ben have free housing in the little ranch house.  He gave Josh a car lot and started him up in his business.  He gets them cars, etc.  So we all know that he continues to support his kidults well beyond what is really considered normal.  So again,  Jill and Derick  have advantages that most other people in their shoes don't have.  They already don't pay for most things in their life. 

It is shameful and  unethical and really unwise from a PR point of view.  Even if the program demands they raise money, it would have been a better PR move for them to just pay that amount out of pocket.  I am sure the church would understand that it is a PR nightmare for well off celebrities to beg for money.  It makes the Church look bad too.    If the Church were smart, they would demand that Jill and Derick lay low, and not talk much about their involvement with this program.  Their idiocy will taint their program. 

It would also have been a pretty cool PR move if, instead of these well off weirdos begging for money,  they had instead offered to pay for a couple of their less fortunate classmates.  No doubt Jill and Derick are among the more well off in that group.  They could have said that due to their work on CO, which was supposed to be part of the duggar ministry to begin with,  that they will use some of those earnings to cover the cost of the program for a hardworking and godly program member.    That might have earned them some more respect, instead of them only working to further themselves. 

I would also like to see some of those ALERT trained young men in the Duggar clan, to grab some boats and report to authorities in Texas and be of help.  They claim the purpose of ALERT is to help with natural disasters and such, and other than walking through a neighborhood after tornadoes went through southern Missouri a few years back, I haven't seen those boys helping out too much.  JD has some great skills with operating heavy equipment and flying.  It looks like Joe, Joshiah and Jer should have all picked up some skills from their ALERT training.  And the Duggars have enough money they could donate sizable money to local shelters.  Their kidults presumably know who to cook food for a crowd. THey could even help out by providing food and comforts to the first responders.

Im in total agreement on Derrick and his poor little rich celebrity shtick being repulsive. 

Just mulling on the Derick should be a better provider line of thought. In their gendered world of course it's true it would be better if he did live up to the gender expectation. But assuming because of Jill and the show they are financially fine, then doesn't it just reinforce traditional gender roles to say Derrick should give up pursuing a less lucrative hobby-passion and be the breadwinner? (Of course he should not grift, but let's forget about that for now). If Jill is providing for them as a reality star then why does he need to "man up and be the provider?" Maybe just grow up and take responsibility for financing your own hobbies. 

The argument goes the other way. If the show tanks, Derrick is missioncationing and they are having financial troubles, Jill needs to "woman up" and provide for her kids. Even in their cult home-run businesses are acceptable for women (Sierra as well as the Doughmestic Housewife). She could move somewhere her midwife certificate is acceptable and work or get the proper training and work or be a doula etc. Or sell thrift baby clothes and supplies online. 

Just a few thoughts. Academically they should both be held to equal standards of work and staying at home/pursuing passion projects. Practically, it's interesting to consider acceptable ways doing what they do better (within the cult).

Ben was only 17 when he started courting Jessa, a minor. Derick was 25 when he started courting Jill, with a Masters (?) degree in accounting? Then when he came back to Arkansas he got a very good job deal at Wallmart. If I were Derick I would have never quitted that job. In that area real estate is not THAT expensive, I've looked it up. A pretty decent "mansion" (or big house) with grounds you can get for 500k USD. Derick and Jill could have easily afforded that with him working full time as a Wallmart accountant and climbing up the latter and Jill working part-time a s a doula/midwife. JB could have given them the money needed and they could have payed him back within 10 years or less.

I get angry when people have everything and just throw it away like that. My wife and I will never be able to afford a house here in Munich even though we both work full-time jobs and both have Master's degrees (in high paying fields) because a house with a tiny bit of garden (barely enough to put your beach towel on the ground) would be around 1.5 million €. This house would be only around 1300 sqft, so really not big at all. Every single house the Duggars own seems like a mansion to me and is pretty affordable. I'm not kidding you, when I saw the prices of real estate in NWA I considered buying there. The job situation there doesn't seem to be bad at all either. hm...

41 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

Im in total agreement on Derrick and his poor little rich celebrity shtick being repulsive. 

Just mulling on the Derick should be a better provider line of thought. In their gendered world of course it's true it would be better if he did live up to the gender expectation. But assuming because of Jill and the show they are financially fine, then doesn't it just reinforce traditional gender roles to say Derrick should give up pursuing a less lucrative hobby-passion and be the breadwinner? (Of course he should not grift, but let's forget about that for now). If Jill is providing for them as a reality star then why does he need to "man up and be the provider?" Maybe just grow up and take responsibility for financing your own hobbies. 

The argument goes the other way. If the show tanks, Derrick is missioncationing and they are having financial troubles, Jill needs to "woman up" and provide for her kids. Even in their cult home-run businesses are acceptable for women (Sierra as well as the Doughmestic Housewife). She could move somewhere her midwife certificate is acceptable and work or get the proper training and work or be a doula etc. Or sell thrift baby clothes and supplies online. 

Just a few thoughts. Academically they should both be held to equal standards of work and staying at home/pursuing passion projects. Practically, it's interesting to consider acceptable ways doing what they do better (within the cult).

The thing is though, Derick bought into the patriarchy, which means that he is obligated to provide for his family.  Even if the bulk of the money coming in is from the Show, and from any money that Jill earned on the original show,  That doesn't take Derick out of the equation.  His job as headship is to shepherd his family, including finances.  This is what he agreed to  when he courted and filled out that questionnaire.  He also told JB that he would never borrow money, or live outside of their means.  I guess JB should also ask his future son's in law if they will ever beg for money, as well as borrow. 

Derick has made some poor choices.  Jill either agrees with him, or is powerless to object when it is obvious that his choices are unsafe, and unwise.  I am happy for jill and babies that Derick has moved away from the idea of CA,  but in a year, then what?  Derick doesn't seem content to settle in NWA.  I think he will have a new hare brained scheme by then and will drag Jill and the kids of again on a useless and misguided mission trip.

Derick should have stayed single, where he could travel the world and play missionary, without dragging a family all over with him.   Maybe JB will offer to support Derick on some long distance mission job but insist that Jill has to stay stateside.  That could be a whole storyline, how Jill keeps the home fires burning while her wonderful missionary husband goes out to spread the word of Jesus to heathens. 

5 hours ago, eveandadam said:

JB could have given them the money needed and they could have payed him back within 10 years or less.

D-D-D-DEBT?? Get behind me, satan!!! Mr. Gothard says that debt of any kind is a sin!

8 hours ago, calimojo said:

I would also like to see some of those ALERT trained young men in the Duggar clan, to grab some boats and report to authorities in Texas and be of help. 

But then they'd have to interact with heathens, likely wouldn't be allowed to preach at them/browbeat them about Jesus as a prerequisite for aid, and probably wouldn't be able to bring the camera crew with them. And if you can't photographically document yourself doing charity, did you really do it?

I have to say i'm surprise it takes so long! and a bit sad also, I like to go and read  people calling  him out about the money,

I just had a thought about all of Derick and Jill's begging for money and grifting. I feel like way back in the day when the Duggars had their first specials, one of the things Jimbob and Michelle prided themselves on was the idea that they did not take government assistance to raise their children. Their schtick was that they had worked hard, invested wisely, lived frugally, bought everything used that they could and were very responsible with money. Cut to this next generation and how is this modern day begging and grifting in line with that Duggar brand? Derick and Jill are given giftcards for pizza while they live in a free house for goodness sakes. It's embarrassing. My how things have changed. And maybe they haven't. Maybe Jimbob and Michelle were begging for donations at their church while telling people that government assistance was wrong. I don't know. It just got me thinking today. 

4 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I just had a thought about all of Derick and Jill's begging for money and grifting. I feel like way back in the day when the Duggars had their first specials, one of the things Jimbob and Michelle prided themselves on was the idea that they did not take government assistance to raise their children. Their schtick was that they had worked hard, invested wisely, lived frugally, bought everything used that they could and were very responsible with money. Cut to this next generation and how is this modern day begging and grifting in line with that Duggar brand? Derick and Jill are given giftcards for pizza while they live in a free house for goodness sakes. It's embarrassing. My how things have changed. And maybe they haven't. Maybe Jimbob and Michelle were begging for donations at their church while telling people that government assistance was wrong. I don't know. It just got me thinking today. 

This is what I don't get about them.  Jim Blob and Michelle actually worked for their money and they did well.  But they haven't taught their kids to do the same. They all feel like all they can do is spend their lives missioning and adopting.  They have been so opressed by their parents. 

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

You wanna help people, Derick? Hop in a boat and row your sorry ass to Houston.

And don't even think about asking people if they know Jesus. :P Don't open your mouth at all! 

12 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Another thing, was DerJill the ones who made an IG post about giving away a box of donuts they got free to a homeless couple? Then the homeless couple commented that they didn't want their picture posted and it was just a weird interaction in general? I was searching for the post last week to read the comments but I couldn't find it. 

And they were free donuts ;) 

If you google Jill duggar homeless donuts the story comes up, they got free donuts for dressing like pirates and then shared them with a homeless couple.

What gets me is they probably spent more on the costumes than the donuts cost, unless they happened to have the outfits hanging around (I guess Derrick likes dressing up...... ) 

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

It does dovetail into the question of where the young JB and M, with a large, ever growing family amassed > $200,000 for his political run. How much cash did they actually have on hand?

Where did that cash come from? I know JB and M worked for 4 years before they had kids, but how did they save that much money while operating small businesses?  I'd love to see all of their tax returns. Was fancy Math involved?

I ask because my hubs and I are older than the Duggars, both educated and both worked decent jobs for decades...hubs still does. We have 2 educated grown kids (the youngest sharing his birthday today with Josiah D), a nice home, and are fairly set, barring disaster, for retirement and there is no way we could have come up with that kind of cash, short of selling our home, when we were younger, nor would we have cashed it all in. 

Something does not add up- maybe the Duggars received an inheritance that they have failed to mention?

4 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

Now comments have been deleted.

Hmmm, I can still see them at the bottom of the page? I was just coming to post that I've been offline all weekend, and I'm thrilled to see the comments still up AND that he has only raised $125. Glad people see through their garbage.

7 minutes ago, zygote373 said:

Hmmm, I can still see them at the bottom of the page? I was just coming to post that I've been offline all weekend, and I'm thrilled to see the comments still up AND that he has only raised $125. Glad people see through their garbage.

Interesting.  I can pull up the old comments on my desktop but not on my ipad.  Some people have even commented that the comments were deleted. 

36 minutes ago, zygote373 said:

Good. What will Derick do now? Everyone is angry, even the Duggars fan sites are fed up with Derick.

I agree that Derek is not like Jim Bob, both him and Michelle worked when they got married and had kids. They didn't start grifting until they had a large family.  They still have a source of income without MTV and grifting. 

I'm glad people are calling Derek out for his grifting.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

It does dovetail into the question of where the young JB and M, with a large, ever growing family amassed > $200,000 for his political run. How much cash did they actually have on hand?

Where did that cash come from? I know JB and M worked for 4 years before they had kids, but how did they save that much money while operating small businesses?  I'd love to see all of their tax returns. Was fancy Math involved?

I ask because my hubs and I are older than the Duggars, both educated and both worked decent jobs for decades...hubs still does. We have 2 educated grown kids (the youngest sharing his birthday today with Josiah D), a nice home, and are fairly set, barring disaster, for retirement and there is no way we could have come up with that kind of cash, short of selling our home, when we were younger, nor would we have cashed it all in. 

Something does not add up- maybe the Duggars received an inheritance that they have failed to mention?

Pretty sure they made some sound real estate investments. I can see that they did well with speculating on properties. They also apparently still own quite a few rental properties, so there's income from those as well.

38 minutes ago, Ilovebrownies said:

Interesting.  I can pull up the old comments on my desktop but not on my ipad.  Some people have even commented that the comments were deleted. 

Ah, that's because iPads and tablets use sites designed for mobile, which has different specs/ features and are commonly a different version than the regular web page for ease of use.  Tech fact for the day :) 

It's possible the website doesn't allow Derrick to delete the comments. I wonder if we will suddenly see the $6,500 having been fulfilled and Derrick is the one who did it to make it look like he has tremendous support. Has any looked into this program to see if it's something he has to live away from the family while studying or if he gets to come home every night? How intensive is it? Is it 5 full days a week or maybe just a couple of hours a week? Do most people hold full time jobs while pursing the program? What is a day to day schedule look like? Does this program lead to some type of recognized certificate? I might have to fall down this rabbit hole.

Our church has hosted a lot of visiting priests who serve full-time with the church while also going to school for a Masters in Theology. This is what regular people do all the time to feed their families and further their education/career. I don't see why anyone else wouldn't be able to work while in this program.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived