IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

Hey! One of my great-grandfathers was Alfred. :my_biggrin: That's almost the total information I have about him, though. I think maybe he was a farmer.

Alfred is an okay name, but I never considered it when we were deciding on names. There aren't very many of my ancestors names that I would consider using. Ida, Edna, Alexina, Aloha, Louis, Alfred, August, Walter. Just not to my taste.

@Gabe, are you two making lists of possible baby names, or have you already decided?

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I hope they have more long term plans besides shilling snake oil, giggling like crazy, bashing Brigid and waiting for a guy to marry them. 

With their current behaviour any guy is going to run as fast and as far as he possibly can.  Who wants to marry a girl that behaves like a 10 year old and badmouthes her own sister? 

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Hey! One of my great-grandfathers was Alfred. :my_biggrin: That's almost the total information I have about him, though. I think maybe he was a farmer.

I had a great-great-grandfather named Alfred who was a farmer. He had 14 kids. Take note, quiverfull types, Alfred might be a lucky name after all!

No Alfreds in my tree, but it is chock full of Roberts, Johns, Luthers and Wallaces. Females names are Margaret,  Grace, Caroline, Mary and Elizabeth. Over and over, any other name sticks out like a sore thumb. 

My great-grandfathers were Walter, Richard, John, and John! :P I have and Alfred but he's not a grandfather. There are so many James', George's, David's, and John's. For female names the most popular are Ellen, Bridget, Lucy, Margaret, Ann/Anne, Grace, and Ida. 

On 9/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, formergothardite said:

OMG that was awful. What is the oil you use to deal with vapid twits? They are really bitter towards Brigid. 

{jumping up and down frantically}

Lisa Pennington (of Pennington Point) would know!  She's all about being oily!

My great-grandfather was Alfred. He was not so lucky because he died before he was 40.  My grandmother was his only child and she was the quintessential daddy's girl; she was devastated by his death and it affected her for the rest of her life. When my father was born, she gave him Alfred as his middle name. 

Names are difficult.  In my family we have a lot of standard Biblical names for the men (like John, David and Peter) but also Arthur, Ernest, Neville and Bernard.  

The women's names that come up time and time again are worse:  Henrietta, Dorothy, Edwina, Laeticia, and Maud.  I got saddled with one of those as a middle name.  I'm glad it wasn't Laeticia.

My advice, from experience, to anyone considering baby names - don't get too fancy and do use standard spelling because your child will not thank you for having to spell out his or her name for life.

My family names for boys are not ones I would choose to name a child now days. Several Lelands, a Gilmore, a Grady, a Jenkins, a Wilbur and two Elams. They did better naming the girls. A little girl named Grace, Margaret, Lillian or Catherine wouldn't stand out today. 

21 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Stop, drop and oil? That doesn't even make sense.

I get the intent of the joke -- the known phrase (in the USA) for what to do in an emergency [actually, only for the specific emergency of one's body being on fire, but let's not be too picky, eh?] is "STOP, DROP & ROLL".  

So they're saying 'to fix your troubles, use oils' in a punny way.

I would find it clever, if I didn't think that the use of oils for anything beyond lubricating/moisturizing or perhaps easing a headache was nonsense...

I remember practicing stop, drop and roll as a child. But stopping and dropping is only for fire. So stopping, dropping and oiling up went right over my head. :laughing-jumpingpurple: 

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Names are difficult.  In my family we have a lot of standard Biblical names for the men (like John, David and Peter) but also Arthur, Ernest, Neville and Bernard.  

The women's names that come up time and time again are worse:  Henrietta, Dorothy, Edwina, Laeticia, and Maud.  I got saddled with one of those as a middle name.  I'm glad it wasn't Laeticia.

My advice, from experience, to anyone considering baby names - don't get too fancy and do use standard spelling because your child will not thank you for having to spell out his or her name for life.

I would consider every one of these names except Edwina.  I guess I'd veto Neville due to the association with appeasement, too.  Walter, mentioned recently, is actually one of my top picks if I ever have a son. 

On 9/30/2017 at 5:14 PM, ChunkyBarbie said:

No Alfreds in my tree, but it is chock full of Roberts, Johns, Luthers and Wallaces. Females names are Margaret,  Grace, Caroline, Mary and Elizabeth. Over and over, any other name sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Mine is full of Mary and Elizabeths, and the occasional Alice. There's an Eva, an Almira, and a Roxilana in there too. Men's names are usually the boring old William, Henry, and John.

I have a friend who's really into oils -- one of these MLMs. She posted on fbook about one of her favorite expensive oils, saying that it's super helpful for her as a mom because when one of her kids gets a bump or knock, she puts this special oil on the spot and hey presto, it doesn't bruise. 

SOTDRT logic right there :8U:

bridgid made a new dress, even drafting her own pattern and I have to say it turned out nice! If now she could just leave the poisonous way of thinking....

The dress is quite pretty but what's with the Twilight-esque picture? Errr...:pb_lol:

What is with the twilight inspired picture? Lol. Sorry it's all I can see! The dress is beautiful though. 

while she said she used fabric that she had on hand, i'd love to see her do another one in a different color.  it's a very pretty dress.

Brigid is clever to be drafting her own patterns.  I like the dress.  It's very nice looking but not very practical.  I suspect it's dry clean only as it is wool with linen interfacing.  I wonder how it would look in a soft washable cotton needlecord fabric.

I think it would look better without the belt breaking the line at the moment.  She also needs to move the button on the right cuff over, and I think she'll have to re-hem it after the baby is born because the front will be too long then.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

What is with the twilight inspired picture? Lol. Sorry it's all I can see! The dress is beautiful though.

Have Brigid even read Twilight? Is it fundie-approved?
On the one hand, vampires and magic. 
On other hand, creepy guy, meek girl, unhealthy relationship, stalking, waiting for marriage to have sex, pro-life message, baby with unique name...
It's a dilemma. 

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

It's Autumn!

Twilight has ruined apples EVERYTHING for all of us

I fixed that for you! :D 

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

It's Autumn!

Twilight has ruined apples for all of us.

Lucky me, my mind went to the story of Eve eating the apple. :pb_lol: I must be unsullied by the touch of Twilight. :my_angel:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived