IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

I watched the whole thing.  Good grief. #superficial little twits.

All that has changed is their clothing.  And their superficiality and bitchiness are now front and central. Mean girls club!

It confirms my theory that Brigid was the force behind their old blog, and that both the singing group and their vintage "brand" were all Brigid driven.  No wonder they fell apart when she married.  And, by George, do they take some nasty cracks at her.  

They make a few cooing noises and "so cute" squeals but it is one snipe after another at Brigid.

By the time you get to the end the two little darlings have mocked Brigid's enunciation, said she talks through her nose, and made a huge deal over her not being able to fit into her fifties style dresses any more.  Jessica finally deigns to mention she is "expecting" but casual watchers might miss that and assume poor Brigid turned into a blimp.

If their old life ended because of men, I hope any future suitors watch this video and run a mile!

• Charlotte - I don't like that shade of lipstick on you.
  • Jessica - don't eat while making a video.
  • Both of you - stop giggling and squealing.  You are not 12.
  • Also both of you - grow the fuck up!
2 hours ago, jozina said:

I totally mean to hate on Bridget after that vapid blog post about the wonders she conveys via dress. She has always struck me as very superficial (like the other two).

I was really disappointed by that blog post but Brigid can at least sew. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG that was awful. What is the oil you use to deal with vapid twits? They are really bitter towards Brigid. 

8 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

They make a few cooing noises and "so cute" squeals but it is one snipe after another at Brigid.

By the time you get to the end the two little darlings have mocked Brigid's enunciation, said she talks through her nose, and made a huge deal over her not being able to fit into her fifties style dresses any more.  Jessica finally deigns to mention she is "expecting" but casual watchers might miss that and assume poor Brigid turned into a blimp.

Thank you for confirming my dismay that they body shamed their own sister. SHE'S GROWING A PERSON.

I will say that I was surprised also that Jessica/Charlotte referenced their enmeshment and the bubble of which they were kept (and still are) in.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

OMG that was awful. What is the oil you use to deal with vapid twits? They are really bitter towards Brigid. 

Well, you could use Young Living essential oils, but on Monday the Department of Justice had a few things to say about that:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/essential-oils-company-sentenced-lacey-act-and-endangered-species-act-violations-pay-760000

Essential Oils Company Sentenced for Lacey Act and Endangered Species Act Violations to Pay $760,000 in Fines, Forfeiture, and Community Service, and to Implement a Comprehensive Compliance Plan

Holy shit.  It's a pity the community service stuff can't trickle down to Jessica and Charlotte's level.  It would do them a world of good.

11 hours ago, Lurky said:

For all they praised Brigid at the start, the stuff about how their singing career fell apart - because Brigid married - makes them seem bitter that she left them.  

I think they are very bitter about Brigid getting married, especially Jessica.  I don't think Jessica has gotten over her courtship ending and not being the first to get married. In her mind, she's the oldest and should have been married first.  I don't know if she expected Brigid to end her relationship with Gabe when Jessica's ended or if Brigid and Gabe were supposed to indefinitely wait for Jessica to get married first.   I'm not sure what Charlotte's deal is.  Going along with Jessica because she was "left behind" or really upset?

Brigid can definitely sew.  I've been really impressed with her sewing skills for a long time.

It's like they really admire Brigid's sewing ability, and they're excited to be aunts, and they miss "the old Brigid" but they really resent her leaving.  As someone already said, they talk about her as if she's died or something.

I do wonder if their leaving behind the vintage stuff is because it was B who made the patterns and was the inspiration etc.  But yeah, the way they're so sad Brigid can't fit into her party dress any more - and as @Palimpsest says, go on about it before eventually saying it's because she's pregnant - it was like fitting into that dress was an analogy for fitting into the family. 

I hope I'm wrong, and they're just expressing themselves badly, or playing with in jokes, but the simultaneous obsession with hope chests and then mourning a sister marrying so much is such a contradiction.  They seem just as enmeshed. It seems super-unhealthy, because what happens to the one at home when the next one marries and moves away?  I would hope they are getting out and about more, and making more friends outside the home so they don't rely on each other, and that Brigid is too, so she doesn't repeat the patterns in her own family.

There's something so incredibly manic about that video. That tone has been snowballing for the past year. The constant emojis bubbling up drove me crazy!

The hysterics lead me to believe they're building up to another meltdown and re-invention soon.

They seem to have no idea what to do anymore with Brigid gone. I mean I get that she's your sister but you can move on with your life without her. She's still there for you to talk to. That was really strange. 

14 hours ago, Kariina said:

There's something so incredibly manic about that video. That tone has been snowballing for the past year. The constant emojis bubbling up drove me crazy!

The hysterics lead me to believe they're building up to another meltdown and re-invention soon.

Maybe Young LIving oils will go bankrupt because of the DOJ judgement and they will need to find another MLM scheme. I don't know why they can't do volunteer work somewhere. Aren't there any historic houses in the area where they could be docents, or something?

@HereticHick, i thought that about YL, too.  poor girls, their timing really sucked if that were to happen.  well, maybe they could jump ship to DoTerra.  but probably not much will happen to YL.  in the meantime, i can't help but wonder how much of a customer base they have and what their sales numbers are like.

and yes, being docents is a fabulous idea.  if they got over the (immature and unprofessional) giggling, several museums/organizations would probably want them as a draw for visitors in younger age brackets (as in relatability).  my friend is a docent at our area zoo; he had a 26-session training program where he had to learn and memorize all manner of animal facts and zoo operations, and had lessons in customer service and public speaking.  he hosts a lot of group tours for schools, adult-care groups, and so forth.  the Misses Boyer would genuinely benefit from something like that.

They would have to stop giggling to be docents, and actually learn the some history not just make it up.

Also, the "new" Boyer sisters have moved on from vintage, remember.  I suppose they could work or volunteer at a health food store or farmer's market now they are into exotic grains. 

Charlotte should really just knuckle down and get her photography and graphic design business off the ground.  She has some talent there.  Jessica, I don't know.  Do something.  Wasn't she supposed to be exploring opera or jazz, or something?

that's why part of me feels so badly for Jessica.  she's never identified a direction on her own; it was either singing with both sisters, or YL with one sister.  i can't think of any pursuit she talked about that was hers alone.  maybe that's why she had (is having?) such a hard time getting over her broken relationship; if she was banking on marriage as a career and it fell through, there doesn't seem to have been a backup plan and now she's just drifting.  she's become a poster child for the failure of the SAHD system, because she seems so bored with it now, but her parents hobbled her with the life they pushed on her.  she needs a job and/or a formal education to broaden herself and find her path.

13 minutes ago, catlady said:

i can't think of any pursuit she talked about that was hers alone.

The part-time gardening job.  She loves flowers.  And in that last video she said they used to dog-sit.  She could be a dog walker and make good money around here.

Has anyone seen the documentary (on Netflix) about the Mitford sisters?  Because as time goes on, the Boyers are starting to show the same dynamic:

Grew up very isolated, which fostered close but unhealthily enmeshed and subtly competitive relationships between the sisters.

Resentment from the other sisters as soon as one leaves.  

The remaining sisters begin to find their identity in opposition to the one who has left. 

They begin to act out this private family drama in the public sphere, partially due to their inability to let their sister/childhood dynamic go.  Fighting takes the place of the former closeness because it is better than accepting their sister may have moved on, especially when they struggle to transition themselves.  

@Georgiana, good one.  I have a feeling the competition wasn't so subtle in either Mitford or Boyer families though.  And the Boyers aren't nearly as intelligent.

I haven't seen the documentary that I remember but I've read several Mitford biographies. So what do you think: Brigid as escaping Decca (although Gabe is no Esmond Romilly), Jessica as Diana waiting for a Mosely-type, and Charlotte as Boud (Unity) with a crush on Trump instead of Hitler? 

Pam was apparently the dimmest lightbulb in the Mitford family and Deborah probably the least nuts.

@Palimpsest Nooooo, Decca is my favourite, and she's the opposite of Brigid, running away to try to do something, and working on causes she really believed would help the others?

And I can't see them being Diana, with her entrance into glittering high society, and then being very much the politician's wife.  Maybe a Trump-loving Boud, a Pamela ('the most rural of all the Mitfords') and Debo?  They'd all love to be Debo most, inheriting a major estate and building it up into a profitable business...

ETA All the Mitfords were gagging for escape, but their dreams (maybe apart from Pam) were so huge - and they very, very much wanted to be, and were, part of the world.  I can't see any of them sitting around and waiting.

ETA Have any of you read the Mary S Lovell book about the Mitfords?  It's hilarious, she admits herself she disliked Decca before she started writing it, but the way she is a Diana apologist is so interesting.  Diana was so charming and gracious, and everything she says is of course face value, while everything Decca said is untrue - to the point where, she's defending the parents for not sending the girls to school, and the whole thing where Decca found a way to get to school, because she wanted to be a scientist, it was scuppered.  I can't understand why a biographer would try to say Decca was much better off with the sub-par education, but the book is hilarious for how much it leans on Hons and Rebels, while being crazily-biased against the author!

11 minutes ago, Lurky said:

ETA Have any of you read the Mary S Lovell book about the Mitfords? 

No.  And I don't think I want to!  Decca is my favorite Mitford by far too.  The red sheep.  I love Hons and Rebels and deeply admire the American Way of Death.

Yes, they'd all want to be Debo, but she was a very hard worker.  How about Jessica as Nancy.  She was reputedly as mean as a nest of wasps.

Boud and Diana were openly Fascist, but supposedly Pam and Tom were very anti-semitic too, as was their mother.  Debo managed to stay friends with everyone somehow.

Mitford Sisters was in my queue to watch and now I must! They sound like The Kardashian sisters but classier (I don't actually like the Kardashians but I bet I would like the Mitfords).

Ok I just looked up the Mitford family and they too have a forgotten brother just like the Kardashians!

55 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

How about Jessica as Nancy.  She was reputedly as mean as a nest of wasps.

Nancy escaped super-fast, ended up in Paris having sexy affairs, being the centre of a fantastic circle of friends and made her own money on her wits!  I know she was, erm, acerbic, but she was definitely not a SAHD!  Actually, if that's how Jessica ends up, I'll be really happy for her - but I'm dying imagining Nancy Mitford books re-written in Boyer style.  At least the Boyers have dropped some of their affectations, with their vintage dress.

ETA I do actually recommend the Lovell bio, @Palimpsest, for a hate-read. It's unintentionally hilarious in so many ways, a brilliant example of the mental gymnastics.   Maybe it's in a library you can order it from?

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The part-time gardening job.  She loves flowers.  And in that last video she said they used to dog-sit.  She could be a dog walker and make good money around here.

She could become a florist. Charlotte could become a photographer. They could open a business. There are endless possibilities, girls. 

I just brought Hons and Rebels home to read! I am excited. What with all the Nazis being in the news recently, I was reading up on the British Union of Fascists, led by Oswald Mosley and husband of one Diana Mitford. It provided the impetus to finally get Decca's book.

@seraaa Hope you enjoy it!  It's not a perfect book, but I really enjoy it.  Some bits are very sad, and there are some weird parallels with some of the families we talk about, especially the escaped daughters.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

ETA I do actually recommend the Lovell bio, @Palimpsest, for a hate-read. It's unintentionally hilarious in so many ways, a brilliant example of the mental gymnastics.   Maybe it's in a library you can order it from?

Putting it on my reading list for the library.  But I'll blame you if I accidentally on purpose destroy it and have to pay a fine.  :angry-teeth:

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

It provided the impetus to finally get Decca's book.

You will love it!

@seraaa, you should probably get Nancy's The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate out of the library too.  They are both good novels and worth reading.

As @Lurky said,  Hons and Rebels does have its faults.  Decca is slapping Nancy in the face with a wet kipper for those novels.  She is correcting the narrative - with an axe!  She has her own exaggerations.  Still love her.

The more I think about it @Georgiana is right.  The Boyers have a lot in common with the Mitfords.

They are just not as intelligent and talented.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived