IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

5 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I can't hate on Bridget too much.  

I don't mean to hate on her, in fact, I really like her.  She just needs to tone it WAY down. If she stuck to what she does best (sewing) and just talk about that, her webpage would be really enjoyable!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the oils- I found a site for inexpensive Bulgarian rose oil, and it clears up basically any skin irritation I have, because it's both moisturizing and anti-bacterial. It works great for me, personally, but I also slather my skin with creams made from almond oil, jojoba oil, and beeswax. It's all about what works for you, personally. My skin breaks out if I don't slap oils all over it. This practice horrifies most of my friends who avoid oil like the devil in their face products, but hey, my skin looks damn good. But while essential oils might be good for the skin, relaxing, and headaches, I don't really think they have any merit for more serious medical issues. When people advertise them as miracle cures or alternatives to modern medicine... that's straight-up dangerous.

I definitely have no problem with dressing creatively and expressing who you are through clothing- but I don't think my wacky, vintage-boho-goth ass is better than my friend who wears solely jeans and t-shirts. As long as it's appropriate for the occasion, it doesn't really matter.

That being said, I absolutely ADORE that regency dress Brigid made. I'd wear it in a heartbeat (I have a mild obsession with elbow-length sleeves), and I think it's a super cute maxi dress for a pregnant lady. So while I might think her previous post has issues, I have to admit, I'm jealous of her dress/skills.

And congrats to Gabe and Brigid, here's hoping for a smooth pregnancy and a laid-back baby!

Ugh how did I accidentally spell her name wrong (Brigid as Bridget)?  Anyhow if she or her family are reading, mea culpa.  I feel bad, as I have a name which people often mispronounce/misspell as another similar and much more common name. And it irritates me... :(

Hey Boyer fans!  We were talking about other "modesty" bloggers a Boyer thread, and there was a couple of sisters who had a blog, and one had a photo-set of herself in a very immodest tight cardigan where she'd deliberately left every other button undone, which was the weirdest thing I've seen on a modesty blog (so far).  I've tried and failed to search the topics - can anyone remember it?

Thank yooooooooouuuuu!

On 9/13/2017 at 10:39 AM, MargaretElliott said:

That being said, I absolutely ADORE that regency dress Brigid made. I'd wear it in a heartbeat (I have a mild obsession with elbow-length sleeves), and I think it's a super cute maxi dress for a pregnant lady. So while I might think her previous post has issues, I have to admit, I'm jealous of her dress/skills.

I really like it too.  Especially the neckline both front and back.  She has wonderful sewing skills and I wish there were a better picture of the buttons.  But then I imagined baby spit-up all down her back.  It's @Ali's fault. :)

She does look a bit alone and palely loitering in those photos.  I hope she is feeling OK and that is just posing in a wistful madonna fashion for the post.

However, to be truly historically accurate, wouldn't a day dress have a fichu tucked into that neckline.  I also wonder whether the sleeves were too big because they were supposed to be puffed and gathered into a cuff just above the elbow.

I wonder if the Boyer sisters have ever read Georgette Heyer.  Those books are not at all smutty, some of them are very funny, and her descriptions of historical dress are supposed to be extremely accurate.  She apparently had one of the best reference libraries on the regency period ever.

31 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

@Lurky Oh I think I remember what you're talking about but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. :) 

I tried a few names and struck out on the other thread.  Sorry, @Lurky.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, HereticHick said:

Am I the only one who thinks Charlotte's halftee doesn't look good at all with her sundress? And man oh man is her complexion bad--Charlotte darling, essential oils are not your friend.

The halftee's an ugly color.  If it were black, and there was a spaghetti strap cami underneath, now that would be cute.

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

ThAt looks just horrible!!!!  Why did she not leave it completely unbuttoned? Or just the top or bottom one done up? This way it just looks like a completely ill fitting piece of clothing....

12 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

ThAt looks just horrible!!!!  Why did she not leave it completely unbuttoned? Or just the top or bottom one done up? This way it just looks like a completely ill fitting piece of clothing....

It looks way too small. Why not just leave it unbuttoned?

@HereticHick I don't think it looks bad, either. I'd probably go with a white or black tank top underneath, though. (I can't do spaghetti straps because I just can't walk around without a bra. I look like I'm wearing Carol Burnett's sack-o-rice Nora Desmond boobs.) I like that jumpsuit, too, but I've been known to wear things thinking it's a good idea at the time, and then realize that, no, it's not a good idea at all. 

I love Brigid's Regency dress! Something about the sleeves bothers me, but I would wear that. Now that I'm losing weight & don't look like I'm in my second trimester, I think I could pull it off. 
Now I'm picturing myself swanning around the office in a floral Regency dress and ballet flats, posing forlornly by the copier... 

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

@Kariina Ooooh yes it was!  Thank you!  It was this post:

Oh my goodness.  That's bad.

3 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

I love Brigid's Regency dress! Something about the sleeves bothers me, but I would wear that. 
Now I'm picturing myself swanning around the office in a floral Regency dress and ballet flats, posing forlornly by the copier... 

be sure to update your blog with nine shots of you gazing pensively at the fluorescent lights and ceiling tiles!

4 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

Twirling in the office atrium, looking delightedly into the fridge, gazing longingly out of the window, and since there usually aren't autumn leaves in an office, throwing handfuls of copier paper up in the air with a whimsical smile.

more pose suggestions--glancing playfully over your shoulder while you eat grapes from someone else's lunch, peeking coyly from a restroom stall, arranging your essential oils collection in your cubicle, savoring the aroma of your Starbucks latte with a dreamy smile (a tight closeup of course).

What posh workplaces you people must have.  Windows?  An atrium?  Access to a Starbucks?

More realistic photo poses:  tapping fingers while on the phone, cursing at a dead computer, swearing at a jammed printer, pretending not to be reading Free Jinger at work*, getting yourself caught in the shredder, chatting by the water cooler ...

* It was a while ago, but in one place I worked our cubicle dwellers loved the advent of HIPAA because monitors have to be situated so passersby can't see the screens.  Productivity went way down. ;)

well, we recently moved into a very nicely-renovated 100-year-old warehouse, so i'll admit to having a somewhat posh workplace.  but i think @FeministShrew and @Lurky's ideas would be even more interesting in a bleak environment; the subject in the regency dress would be the idealism that the Boyers throw around as if everyone lives in their cozy cloistered world where everything is curated and beautiful.  

(and i suggested Starbucks only for its ubiquitous name recognition; if i'd said Tim Horton's, not everyone would get it, but here in my town on the Canadian border, Timmy is far more prolific than Starbucks, and easily half of my coworkers walk in with one of their coffees every day.)

I've been looking at the Shashaguay sisters blog. Kinda interesting. Mostly just outfit posts with the occasional "why we do x/don't do y" kind of thing. The eldest, Cassie, has been in a courtship for seven months, and isn't engaged. She met him last October and began courting in Feb. 

Some of the outfits look really good and the ensemble works as a whole. Others don't (to my mind anyway). They look more like stuff just put on top of each other for modesty purposes. They're really into vintage stuff and the younger sister Bekah also likes horses. Quite what they consider modest seems to chop and change a bit, some of the outfits are ones a Duggar would wear and some are more Maxwellian in style. 

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I've been looking at the Shashaguay sisters blog. Kinda interesting. Mostly just outfit posts with the occasional "why we do x/don't do y" kind of thing. The eldest, Cassie, has been in a courtship for seven months, and isn't engaged. She met him last October and began courting in Feb. 

and they front-hug!!  

So two of the sisters are back on YouTube

They wear skinny jeans now. Their style changed because their lives changed. Their lifestyle was a sisterly bubble feeding off each other. 

To give them credit they don't start pimping essential oils until 4.23 into the video. It's their new brand. Essential oils have always been a passion of theirs but after their singing career (their words not mine) fell apart they decided to invest in it. 

The video is in the spoiler if you want to watch it because someone else needs to share my pain. Warning: there is a lot of giggling. So much giggling. 

Spoiler

If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were 12 and 13.  Holy crap on a cracker. I can't finish this shit.

are they high?  Maybe they're high.........

59 minutes ago, catlady said:

Maybe they're high.........

do their oils do that too????

But seriously, I could not watch more than 30 secs, it was just too painful, like giggling teenagers, holy moly!

There is not enough alcohol in the country to get me through the whole of that video. I made it about 2 minutes in, skipped ahead to the first 20 seconds of the essential oil spiel and I am so done.

I totally mean to hate on Bridget after that vapid blog post about the wonders she conveys via dress. She has always struck me as very superficial (like the other two).

Wow, so much "our style was an extension of ourselves" bullshit.  Charlotte wears skinny jeans and t-shirts, but only super stylish ones, you guys.

For all they praised Brigid at the start, the stuff about how their singing career fell apart - because Brigid married - makes them seem bitter that she left them.  

They talk about the videos that exploded, and isn't it funny they're the ones we talked about!

Watching them talk about that Day In A Life one, and I thought it was dull in the first place, but watching them "react" to it is actually worse!   But wow, they seem to miss that old place too.

I couldn't make it to the end, got to about the 14 min mark, and even though the end was so close, I couldn't bear it any more!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived