IGNORED

Dillards 38: Still Chewing on that Foot in His Mouth

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I feel like I know more Spanish from watching La Rosa de Guadalupe on Gala than those two know. And I rarely do know what's going on with it; I just make up my own stories based on what I glean from the Spanish closed captioning.

I can always read languages better than hear them. I can pick up enough Spanish and French, though, that I'd be able to get along if I ever needed to, or had the opportunity.

I hope Izzy retains what he learned, though I guess it's doubtful.

I'm also better at reading languages than I am at hearing/speaking them. I took two years of Spanish in college, and the emphasis was on preparing the students for reading literature in that language, not on actually using it in the real world. I don't know if this was the case in other departments, or at other universities. But if Derick and Jill had taken the same courses I took, they wouldn't have been able to converse much in Spanish with the people in Central America. However, they would be able to read the local newspapers as well as everyday reading materials or work-related documents.

Izzy would probably be able to retain what he learned if he goes to a Spanish immersion preschool, or a preschool with students who come from Spanish-speaking homes. But we know the poor kid is doomed to end up at the school of the dining room table, so he won't be learning much of anything.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my theory.  TLC is not going to renew counting on past this season coming up.  Dereck has not need to go back to Central America because it was all an act anyways for the camera and without the cameras rolling he can't get those donations.  So Dereck got especially pissed he's losing his paychecks and decided to attack TLC indirectly by speaking out against Jazz. 

1 minute ago, Informedresistance said:

This is my theory.  TLC is not going to renew counting on past this season coming up.  Dereck has not need to go back to Central America because it was all an act anyways for the camera and without the cameras rolling he can't get those donations.  So Dereck got especially pissed he's losing his paychecks and decided to attack TLC indirectly by speaking out against Jazz. 

I don't know if Dewreck is smart enough to attack TLC indirectly (I think he was just being a bigot), but I wouldn't be surprised if TLC is axing Counting On after this season (there are only so many babies and weddings they can churn out before people get bored) and without th publicity, Dewreck wouldnt have ha donations to pay for it. Plus I still suspect Boob told him to come home or lose the family $$ gravy train. 

Some people said I was being unfair for attacking their Spanish level but I do honestly believe they would have a much higher level if they truly worked on their Spanish while they were there. I suspect the overriding reason their Spanish is weak is because they just didn't have the work ethic to commit to studying/practising. 

I hope for Izzy's sake they give him exposure to native speakers so he can maintain what he had learned. 

i wonder if Derick knew that SOS was unhappy with them and that was what set him off on his twitter rant.  Deflecting his anger towards TLC and their Programming that he disapproves of. 

And were they actually being paid by SOS?  If so that makes their begging for donations really bad.

I got Mr LBE into hatewatching the Bates/Duggars and I love and agree with what he said: 

"Most of the Bates seem like they'd be perfectly polite to you even though they believe a ton of hateful stuff. But you just know Dewreck Dillard is the worst kind of human. Aka: THAT PERSON a who is rude to his waiter/ess or the teenager ringing up their groceries". 

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I'm going to have my say anyway. I am a Youth worker for a Christian organisation in my community. The people I work with are in the bottom 3% of my country in terms of wealth and education. I was trained to identify people as Generational Poverty, Middle Class and Generational Wealth. There are eleven criteria to assess to determine where a person fits and money is just one of the eleven. Assessing where someone fits allows me to help a person more effectively. 

The Duggars meet the criteria for Generational Poverty in nine of the eleven criteria. Language is one of the criteria. A person who grow up in g.poverty has a vocabulary of about 400-800 words. A person who grows up middle class or in g.wealth has 10,000-15,000 word vocabulary. We laugh at the Duggars for using the same words phrases over and over but I have been trained to hear this as povery speech. There are so many implications for this limited vocab range and Jill has run into one of the big ones - you can only learn the level of vocab in a new language that you speak in your native language. I come from Generational Wealth. That gives me the potential to learn any language at any level. Jill, with her 400-800 word vocab only has the potential to learn to use that much Spanish. People could teach her more words but she won't have the skills to put them into practice. Add to that, Jill has never been taught to work hard to someone else's timetable. What happens if they run late to something? It's laughed off as Duggar time. What happens if they fail a school assignment? They do the lesson again. The thought process of I am not learning fast enough  and must go away and work harder or I will fail and be sacked, is not something Jill can do. (Derrick I can't explain!)

8 minutes ago, Miggy said:

The thought process of I am not learning fast enough  and must go away and work harder or I will fail and be sacked, is not something Jill can do. (Derrick I can't explain!)

I'm agape! I'd never heard about this but it makes a great deal of sense at the first reading.  Thank you... 

Thank you, @Miggy. Very informative! I'd also love to read more about this if you could direct me to source material, please.

I love this. I need to know more! What do they qualify for in the other 8? Do tell all. This is so fascinating.  

This is why I love it on here. Everybody shares their wealth of knowledge and education, and we all become a little brighter.

^^ That's definitely interesting! I know there was some speculation that Jill had to sit for the NARM exam more than once, could explain why she struggled so much with it, and if the state licensing exam for direct entry is even more extensive then Jill probably isn't prepared for something of that caliber. Could explain why she didn't take the state exam. 

But is it possible through hard work/determination etc to overcome that vocab deficiency? I mean we hear about kids who live in the ghetto but study their butts off and become doctors/engineers, etc... Is it possible for Jill to change it if she really wanted to?

13 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I am NOT mean! And @VelociRapture we vegans are so enlightened that we never argue! :snooty: 

So true @formergothardite.  We really transcend into a higher sphere of existence.*

*not vegan, pescetarian; but I still feel superior.

Well said, @Fluffy14.  

.... wanted to add about Jill and language-- her education was horribly stunted at SOTDRT, and any curiosity for learning by reading would have been stifled as well.

(To this day, I never laugh at or belittle someone who mispronounces a word learned by reading. If the situation allows, I'll quietly whisper, "I think it's pronounced xxx" while encouraging them to keep reading.)

The fact that ignorance is shoved upon these children is more than disgraceful. Which gives me a bit of hope for Jinger. While I don't agree with him on many points, at least Jeremy has a passion for books, reading, and learning. I had tears in my eyes at Jinger's photos from the bookstore. It probably was her first time! Definitely some form or level of abuse, IMO, to limit learning - probably for ease of enforcing the mind-numbing rhetoric and blanket training. 

@Miggy what are the eleven criteria if you don't mind my asking? I tried to google and got nothing.

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

So, just so you know, we are an international group from many different religious (and irreligious) backgrounds.   We have atheists, Pagans, Muslims, Wiccans, and so on ad infinitem here.  Heck, we even have a lot of Catholics, and your True Fundie knows that they aren't "Christian."

I am SO LATE to this party, but just wanted to add my 2 cents that regardless of faith, most FJers acknowledge a difference and just move on to the snark.  And I appreciate that.  

Reading on now....

26 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

But is it possible through hard work/determination etc to overcome that vocab deficiency? I mean we hear about kids who live in the ghetto but study their butts off and become doctors/engineers, etc... Is it possible for Jill to change it if she really wanted to?

I don't know about Generational Poverty, but I DO know about neuro-linguistics!

The language centers we are born with look VERY different than the language centers we end up with. As the brain matures, the centers start to "fuse", at which point they are "stuck" . 

To make it VERY short, the end result is why adults have to actively learn a language and will do so slowly, whereas children will automatically learn a language quickly in an immersive environment. 

If GP has a neuro component, which from @Miggy's description it sounds like it does, some parts of language skill will "freeze" in GP as the brain matures. We have limited data on this, but while adult progress CAN be made to improve these skills, progress is incredibly slow and incredibly limited AT BEST. Sometimes impossible.

Now, for your outliers! This fusion process in the language centers of the brain DOES NOT OCCUR in all people. Around 10% of people have completely to partially unfused language centers. These people's language centers are incredibly malleable and robust, and like children, they easily and effortlessly consume and build language data. So, like a child, they would be able to learn the language of the more affluent  into adulthood and via less traditional exposure.

7 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

I started out in Chile, and chilean spanish is rather different than other spanish in south america

I have found that regional Spanish is not much different that regional US English.  A few new idioms, a different accent... I love Chilean Spanish... the cadence reminds me of Italian.

I grew up in Puerto Rico.... total immersion... and now I akin the PR accent to a Southern US one.

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I'm agape! I'd never heard about this but it makes a great deal of sense at the first reading.  Thank you... 

Same here. I'm from an upper middle class background and was read to extensively as a child. This is something I never would have thought to consider. I mean, I knew SOTDRT hasn't given her best education but I didn't realise her vocabulary was so lacking and how that translates when learning a different language. 

So based on that, learning extensive medical terminology would likely be hell for Jill.  A word like pheochromocytoma would be :confused2:.  Epic fail for Michelle's version of SODRT. And it doesn't give me much hope for the Howlers or the Lost Girls, which is beyond sad. Those kids hasce all the potential in the world and its stripped away with them having no say whatsoever. Grrrr

I know this was a few pages back but @divadivine don't feel bad. Papiamento is a really hard language to learn! I think we have chatted before about this, my dad has lived in Aruba for 25 years and never really picked it up. He grew up in a bilingual household (Spanish/English). Even with being married to an Aruban woman and her three sons living with them, and owning a local business, he only has a basic knowledge. He says because pretty much everyone can speak English they switch over when he is around.

5 hours ago, eyerollsforjesus said:

I was going to post something similar but saw someone on the previously blog link stated it perfectly

"According to Charity Navigator, they only file an IRS 990-N which means that they reported that they took in less than $50k a year.  Falling under that limit pretty much exempts you from most detailed reporting requirements (though you can still look up their 990-N directly on the IRS site)."

Where on the IRS site? Does anyone know? I thought you had to go to third-party sites like Foundation Finder. Obviously they get the filings from the IRS somehow.

What are some good programs for learning Spanish? I should have taken it in HS but decided to take French. I could really use some basic Spanish to help me  communicate with some of my patients. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived