IGNORED

Dillards 38: Still Chewing on that Foot in His Mouth

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, ActualReality said:

It seems weird to me that they would even want to still be on TLC.  I love the channel but it's a full on freak show over there.  Don't they realize that they're just one of the many "freak" families featured on the show.  And I say that as a fan of Jazz, et al. 

I like Jazz as a person, but I think she is being horribly exploited and I can't watch her show.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

I definitely could've made it clearer I was just talking out my butt. I assume my words are not taken seriously

Rule #1 should be - Never assume anything on FJ! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

You just experienced a bit of FJ's self-moderation. We pride ourselves on that here on FJ because it saves out overworked volunteer mods time.  Don't take it too personally. :)

When dinosaurs roamed the hills, FJ used to be entirely self-moderating, just telling each other off when the speculation got too wild or distasteful.  It worked when we were a tiny little forum but as we got bigger and better we had to make some rules.  Especially around speculation about the gayness of minors and the identities of victims of sexual abuse.  Compared to other fora we still don't have that many rules.

People still get reined in when they forget to identify speculation as such, or veer into areas some of us find distasteful, even if the comments aren't actually in breach of the rules.   

11 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Was watching some videos on youtube, on a completely unrelated manner, and this gem popped up. Have no idea if it's been posted before.

I hadnt seen that before.  20K house for them to live in 3 months out of the year?  Thats a lot of money in a struggling village and could have gone to much better things, like medicine, instead of the Dullards.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I hadnt seen that before.  20K house for them to live in 3 months out of the year?  Thats a lot of money in a struggling village and could have gone to much better things, like medicine, instead of the Dullards.

I can't tell you how often that thought enters my head when I see info on missioncations. It makes me so irritated. But hey, it's not my money. 

@Beermeet,  I heard a narc say on the Dick Cavatt Show oh, about 45 years ago, that dealers sometimes cut heroin with Bab-O which is like Ajax.  That would be nasty to inject or nasty to snort.

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can't tell you how often that thought enters my head when I see info on missioncations. It makes me so irritated. But hey, it's not my money. 

Even in the context of their screwed up "mission."  How many KJV bibles can they buy with 20k?  They could fly down there and hand two to every person in town and then fly back with that money.  Hell, they could afford to give the kids in the orphanage their own damn box of crayons with "Jesús te ama. ¡ARREPENTIRSE!" (Jesus loves you. REPENT!) instead of giving them one broken one.

I'm glad those idiots got fired from being missionaries. They were too lazy to learn Spanish, and just pranced around filming their TV show and preaching their ignorant, redneck version of religion at the locals. It appears they didn't actually help anyone at all. 

20 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Was watching some videos on youtube, on a completely unrelated manner, and this gem popped up. Have no idea if it's been posted before.

Thanks for sharing!

5.42 "The Dillards' awkward missionary position" LOL.

@Palimpsest.  Yep.  Actually, it was interesting to hear someone's take on my words and I did get it.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I need to remember people are not in my head with me nor are we face to face speaking.  Often I'm FJ'ing and doing other stuff so I'll be reading and thinking and then just post like your all obviously right here with me!  Now how this works, it's not how any of this works!  

I'll make my self clearer as:  No, none of you know me or my personality and can't hear inflections in my voice and whatnot.  

Zero hard feelings toward @freethemall!  TY for pointing it out.  I like constructive criticism. 

ETA: @Palimpsest Thank you for your kind words and clarification.  Appreciated.

I seem to recall talk way back about how surprised some FJ ers were that the Dullards were going on this missioncation, and the reason was, for some, that they clearly didn't a) know the language well enough to convey much past greetings, and b. have enough education to be qualified to be an actual missionary, either one of them.

Therefore, I'm not surprised that this information has come up on another board. I'm betting it's true; Derrick has been fired, and if so, Hallelujah!

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

All mention of SOS is now scrubbed from the blog. I saw it there on Wednesday, and there is a new blog post. The DONATE! button was already gone on Wednesday. Make of it what you will. 

A page from Izzy's ABC book ....G is for Grifter 

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

You may want to consider perusing some of the material under guidelines. We don’t delete posts that don’t break the rules, and we most definitely won’t delete posts to keep a poster from having to own their words.  

@DinglyDoll Take it from me, the queen of shoot first think later.  After a few months in the prayer closet having to THINK before I 'speak' its for the best.  FJ'ers are quick to call bull shit and quick to forgive too. 

You are a Christian right?  Sometimes you just have to, let go and let God.   If I have my players messed up I'm sorry, it was a long thread and I was 1/2 ass reading so I didn't jump in and get my own self in trouble for being me.  :my_biggrin:

26 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Reminding everybody that posts must be in English. Please add a translation when you post occasional sentences in other languages.

Very sorry! The snark was just too tempting. Showing myself to the prayer closet. 

I have thought all along that it was really strange/odd/out of the ordinary that the Dillweeds hadn't become at least semi-fluent in Spanish after being in El Salvador for how many months and taking language classes. It was a full immersion experience. That's the best way to learn a language as an adult or a child for that matter. 

One of our former students grew up in Colombia. She only spoke Spanish. She moved to Aruba when she was 14. In a year she was able to pick up Dutch, Papiamento, and English just by living on the island, going to school, and communicating with her peers. 

I always tell my friends on the island "I'll need intense language classes if I ever move here (Aruba) because I don't speak any Dutch and I only know a little Papiamento." They tell me if I live there I'll just pick it up because "if you hear it all the time, it's impossible to not learn it.... unless you don't try." How can you practice the language if you never leave your house in a compound? 

I taught Kindergarten at a ritzy private school. One of the families had a nanny from Venezuela. She spoke very little English when she arrived. She learned English by watching cartoons and practicing with the youngest child. She was fluent when she went back home after being here two years. And the little girl was fairly fluent in Spanish, too. Hello, you have to put some effort into learning. 

From what was seen on the show, Izzy's spanish is probably the best out of all of them. Thats pretty sad, but thats the manipulative toddler doing it, so yeah (*sarcasm*)

As for their language skills, I don't really know what they were doing so that they did not manage to pick up any spanish while being there. Even if it was three months. Personally, I do think it is harder to learn a language when travelling with a partner, or also a kid, but still, you should be able to communicate more than that. 

I spent a year in South America last year (not to missionicate, obv.) and I spoke spanish pretty fluent quite soon. I gave myself a quickstart learning some basic grammar already at home, whilst working full time and then while being on sick leave and having to go to a health scare. I managed to be on Level B2 within 4 weeks with doing a course.. So if somebody puts a bit of work into it, it is absolutely not impossible to do it, even if you are not the most talented with languages (which was said about me, in regards to both english and spanish)

IMO, if they would've put half of the effort into trying to pick up spanish as they did into grifting and bullying on SM, they would've been fine (language-wise, I mean), there are so many materials out there to help you learn a language, and you do not have to stick to one, if your native language is english (or you speak it well enough) you will have plenty of places to look without being defrauded.,,

I'm gonna stop ranting now, but people that go to live in another country for months and months at time and try to communicate a message, but don't try very hard to learn the language is pretty much my biggest pet peeve..

6 minutes ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Very sorry! The snark was just too tempting. Showing myself to the prayer closet. 

I was all proud of myself for knowing enough spanish to read it!

12 minutes ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

Don't worry, the snark was fine, it's just that many people may not understand spanish.

5 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I always tell my friends on the island "I'll need intense language classes if I ever move here (Aruba) because I don't speak any Dutch and I only know a little Papiamento." They tell me if I live there I'll just pick it up because "if you hear it all the time, it's impossible to not learn it.... unless you don't try." How can you practice the language if you never leave your house in a compound? 

intense language classes are only needed if you wanna go into the deep end really quickly. I started out in Chile, and chilean spanish is rather different than other spanish in south america, but once I got the hang of that, I didn't have trouble speaking any other spanish. It takes a bit of time to adjust to the accent and speed the locals are speaking, but I found that if you make an effort, everybody is really excited. I just spoke with a friend that just returned from SA as well, and both her and me had very similar experiences when for example going out for food. 

When somebody realised we were learning the language (more in my case, she'd been living in spain before for 2 years on and off), locals were really happy and wanted to talk to you and help you out to learn. I took classes because I was going to Patagonia and I wasn't going to be unprepared, and as mentionned above, I also think it is rude to not at least speak the bare minimums. Also, you never know what happens, and not everyone speaks english, so I'd rather be prepared than hope for the best.

and I really think it is pretty much impossible not to learn anything, and thankfully, there are only very few people who really do not make an effort. And as mentionned above, you can learn from home, I did. Buy a book and Audio CDs or Downloads. It's not like the stories or examples there would be too defrauding to hear

4 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Don't worry, the snark was fine, it's just that many people may not understand spanish.

Like the Dillards.  Sorry, too easy.

I know, I know. Prayer Closet.....off I go. :D

21 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

It takes a bit of time to adjust to the accent and speed the locals are speaking, but I found that if you make an effort, everybody is really excited. I just spoke with a friend that just returned from SA as well, and both her and me had very similar experiences when for example going out for food. 

When somebody realised we were learning the language (more in my case, she'd been living in spain before for 2 years on and off), locals were really happy and wanted to talk to you and help you out to learn. 

You hit the nail on the head in the bolded text! If people know you're trying, they are usually more than happy to help you out if you make mistakes & they're forgiving. I try to pick up more Papiamento when I visit and I use what I know when I'm there. I tell my friends they don't need to speak only in English when I'm around. It's fun to try to figure out what they're saying in group settings and when speaking to people I don't know. Especially when I can pick up things from my limited Spanish & Papiamento. 

3 minutes ago, divadivine said:

I tell my friends they don't need to speak only in English when I'm around.

Thats what I used to do all the time. When I was living in BC and was invited to French Canadians parties, I always told them to not speak english just for the sake of me, because I wanted to see what I would understand, and if there was anything I did not pick up or couldn't communicate in french, I'd ask someone.

Same story in english. Best way to learn any language really.

Good luck with your studies! :)

I do think some people are worse at languages and they will have a harder time, but yes, they should have picked up more than they seem to have.

My Spanish is HORRID! Embarassing b/c I was born to a native Spanish speaker (my mom was Cuban). I understand a helluva lot more than I can speak. FORTUNATELY, my neighbors are Mexican and actively encourage both me and my gringo hubby to speak more Spanish. It works! I'm not fluent yet, but I'm at a fairly decent level of communication. Hubby has gotten to be able to speak/understand greetings and cuss words!

I seem to remember episodes of "19 Kids..." in which Jill was lauded as a great Spanish-speaker, one who was tutoring her siblings. 

Then again, the Duggars' worldview is so limited that knowing not to pronounce the "H" in "hola" might qualify one as an expert in their eyes. (And I am totally flashing back to JimBoob saying "Hhola" at some point, smdh.)

I'm a big Duolingo fan - practise every day for 15 minutes, it's fun and really doesn't require any previous knowledge or experience, and you'll be able to have a basic conversation in 3 months tops. And that's without even being in the country. I just don't buy the "they're not naturally talented at languages" excuse - not motivated to learn is more likely. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived