IGNORED

Dillards 38: Still Chewing on that Foot in His Mouth

Coconut Flan

@DinglyDoll if you meant that it is unfortunate that her church caused her to change her beliefs then that's your opinion of how her church treated her and that's fine. But if you meant that being an atheist was unfortunate in and of itself then the atheists amongst us (me included) will rightly be indignant about that. I think your original post was not clear in that distinction.

By the way, most atheists don't romp about being militant about it. Vyckie gets the rest of us a bad name. I would bet that unless it specifically came up in a conversation you would never know who is an atheist because to most of us it is not a central tenet of our existence. For me personally it is almost a default setting, much like having blue eyes or brown hair. It doesn't even cross my mind 99.9% of the time.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey tabloids! Yeah, you! Next Duggar scandal may be how Derick and Jill have a non-profit charity designation yet have failed to release the required public statements for 2015 and 2016 for how their funds were allocated. And Derick is an accountant for goodness sakes! He should know better! Or is he using that knowledge to further perpetuate fraud?

Sorry guys, leghumpers are making me bonkers as of late, especially the naive ones who don't bother to scratch a millimeter beneath the Duggar facade to the truth. Love it though when you throw facts or even better,  actual documentation of stuff at them and watching them try and justify a response beyond just being a hater. 

37 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Hey tabloids! Yeah, you! Next Duggar scandal may be how Derick and Jill have a non-profit charity designation yet have failed to release the required public statements for 2015 and 2016 for how their funds were allocated. And Derick is an accountant for goodness sakes! He should know better! Or is he using that knowledge to further perpetuate fraud?

Sorry guys, leghumpers are making me bonkers as of late, especially the naive ones who don't bother to scratch a millimeter beneath the Duggar facade to the truth. Love it though when you throw facts or even better,  actual documentation of stuff at them and watching them try and justify a response beyond just being a hater. 

I'm sure that if someone asked Derick about what exactly they did with all that money their gullible fans/sympathetic churchgoers gave them for their mission, he'd just post some passive-aggressive Bible shit on Twitter and talk about how he's fighting evil and the only thing he has to account for is God's boundless grace. And then some more transphobic shit for good measure.

IF the reason the Dillards aren't going back to danger America is that it's so dangerous and scary, why aren't they talking about it and trying to make changes for all the millions of people who live there? There's tons of things they could do - support local and international charities who work there, campaign for debt relief and/or more support from the USA, raise awareness of issues there etc etc.  Of course, that means there are solutions apart from MORE JESUS!

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

By the way, most atheists don't romp about being militant about it. Vyckie gets the rest of us a bad name. I would bet that unless it specifically came up in a conversation you would never know who is an atheist because to most of us it is not a central tenet of our existence. For me personally it is almost a default setting, much like having blue eyes or brown hair. It doesn't even cross my mind 99.9% of the time.

I'm sure most atheists don't but some do, definitely. I went to high school with two boys, who were atheists and Marxists, and that was literally all they talked about. If you mentioned something about God, you had to spend the next hour shooing them away, because they would keep pestering you telling you that you were wrong and atheism (and Marxism) was the only way forward, and it was proper exhausting. So now I find it a little weird when someone mentions they are an atheist. 

6 hours ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

Derrick isn't too old to pick his old accounting career back up by a long shot, but that's assuming he doesn't put any TLC experience on his resume (which is unlikely...:pb_confused:), and that the hiring manager doesn't stumble upon any information about the Duggar scandals while conducting his background check (also unlikely...:pb_confused:) Jim Boob could always strong-arm all the married kids to pay Derrick to do their taxes for them every year.  Then he'd be busy 3-4 months out of the year :ugeek:, and could spend the rest of the year living off the earnings and playing hippie Jesus of NW Arkansas :mullet: 

Derick has experience in corporate accounting, not public. If he is employed by a public firm he'd be busy just 3-4 months during tax season - but only if he was employed as extra help during tax season. If not he'd be busy year round with tax season and various other deadlines. If he worked corporate he'd be busy with year round deadlines as well. And seeing as Hippie Jesus appears to be allergic to work... I honestly doubt we'll see him working in that capacity again.

4 hours ago, DinglyDoll said:

I've obviously hit a nerve and pissed off a lot of people on here. But geez, your language seems hostile for a supposed conversation, and I find it a bit offensive. Warning me???? I was expressing my opinion that it's unfortunate. For me it's unfortunate for religion to have turned one into an atheist. That's my opinion, and it's a very esoteric one. I'm relatively new to being out of fundy Christianity, which I don't agree with.  I'm not casting judgment on you or on any atheists. The atheists I've met online are some of the kindest and most well-spoken people I've encountered. I only feel that it's unfortunate in some very esoteric way that I don't even understand yet. You don't feel that it's unfortunate, and that's fine. No need to get so huffy. This doesn't feel like a very safe place to have a slightly diverse opinon.

I only know about Vyckie Garrison from what I've read and heard online. Just relaying information. Didn't know FJ had a thread.

Yeah... this was downright lovely for my sweet @Palimpsest. :pb_lol:

But really. You came onto a forum where we criticize religious fundamentalists and said it's unfortunate someone is an atheist without further explanation and without bothering to see if anyone here is an atheist first. What did you expect the reaction to be? 

For the record: I'm not an Atheist myself. I'm spiritually wandering and not quite sure of anything. If I had to label my beliefs, it'd likely be Deism or Agnosticism. But your initial comment made me do a double take as well, so it's not just Atheists who got the impression that you were casting judgement.

5 hours ago, DinglyDoll said:

I was expressing my opinion that it's unfortunate. For me it's unfortunate for religion to have turned one into an atheist.

So, you're saying you wouldn't have been offended if I'd said, "she's a Christian, and that's unfortunate." ??? Because I'd never EVER say that. I've made my choice and I'm happy with it. 

45 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I'm sure most atheists don't but some do, definitely. I went to high school with two boys, who were atheists and Marxists, and that was literally all they talked about. If you mentioned something about God, you had to spend the next hour shooing them away, because they would keep pestering you telling you that you were wrong and atheism (and Marxism) was the only way forward, and it was proper exhausting. So now I find it a little weird when someone mentions they are an atheist. 

Same for Christians. I've been proselytized ad nauseum by random militant Christians. That's why very few in my RL world know I'm atheist. It's just easier than dealing with everyone who's trying to save my soul.

15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah... this was downright lovely for my sweet @Palimpsest. :pb_lol:

It was indeed.  I can't win.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I was deliberately trying to be gentle because I noticed this was a newer poster with a low post count, and I assumed she hadn't had time to read my caution about the Vyckster immediately above her post.  Apparently my attempt at humor didn't translate.

@DinglyDoll, I was indeed warning you because we are a very diverse bunch on FJ. I was an Evangelical (Fundie-lite) missionary kid before I "lost my faith."

So, just so you know, we are an international group from many different religious (and irreligious) backgrounds.   We have atheists, Pagans, Muslims, Wiccans, and so on ad infinitem here.  Heck, we even have a lot of Catholics, and your True Fundie knows that they aren't "Christian."

So try not to make assumptions and step on too many toes.  We have quite a few survivors of extreme Fundamentalist Christianity here too.  I'll let them identify themselves.  Many of them will probably admit that they have put their foot in it a few times on FJ and been corrected, often a lot more harshly than I corrected you above.

It takes time for people to work their way out of the mindset and let go of Fundie "truths."  There's a big world with lots of different opinions out there.  That is what is good about FJ.  It exposes you to some of them. :)

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

I'm sure most atheists don't but some do, definitely.

There's really not much difference between a Militant Atheist and an Extreme Fundamentalist Christian when it comes to aggressive evangelism. And new converts are often the most aggressive in any religion.   Militant Atheism is a religion of sorts and I don't like it.

However, small case atheists tend to be live and let live.  If I don't see a person's beliefs as downright dangerous (i.e. extreme Fundie anything) my position has always been - I don't share your faith but I can and do respect it.

10 hours ago, mstee said:

I'd love to know why they didn't film the aftershow- I don't think it was a schedule conflict. Is tlc sick of them or the other way around?

My guess is that they wanted to avoid the kind of ridicule that they received after last time when Jill talked about the shower curtain incident.

As to the below, Jill said they needed a home for when they came back for short visits.

11 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

This. Weren't Jill and Jessa both looking for houses to buy at the end of the last season? Was this plan to stay in AR in the works then?

6 hours ago, DinglyDoll said:

I'm not casting judgment on you or on any atheists

You just said my belief system was unfortunate. How exactly isn't that judging? Wouldn't you feel like that it was judgmental if someone said it was unfortunate someone became Christian? I'm actually trying to be super nice here to help you see how offensive your statement was.  @Palimpsest was hardly hostile compared to what you wrote. Her warning was to let you know that we "unfortunate" people are also posting here and don't take kindly to people acting like we are in some sad state. 

19 hours ago, meee said:

To back up to the family picture:

Why are they so dressed up? (flipflops aside)

Why is Derick the one holding the baby? Nothing wrong with it, he just seems sort of hands-off and I would have expected Jill to be the one doing it.

Where are they? I thought I saw a comment that this is an "FU internet" that Jill is standing and out of the house, but I can't tell from the background where they are.

And it's actually kind of weird seeing Derick with short hair.

As to the flip flops, my dad, brother and daughter live in them year round they have summer flip flops and winter flip flops and we live in Iowa. Who am I kidding I live him them from May to October.  My dad grew up in Japan, HI, So. Cal & AR he's always worn them, not sure if it is a warm climate thing or a hot sweaty feet thing.  My daughter has sweaty feet and hates closed shoes of any kind.

Dad's can hold babies too, it isn't weird.

They look like they are in a church or a school hall

Derick looks so much better with clean short hair.

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Yes because two teenage boys are sooooo indicative of a wide ranging philiosophy. /sarcasm

6 hours ago, DinglyDoll said:

For me it's unfortunate for religion to have turned one into an atheist.

I understand something of what you mean here. I know quite a few people whose experiences in their respective denominations rendered them so bitter, they went tearing in the opposite direction.

Having questions that eventually lead you away from a supernatural view of the world is natural for many people, and will hopefully result in a positive view of life. But for some, the experience with religion was so traumatizing, once they were able to battle guilt, family, etc., to get away from it, even thinking about it triggers awful feelings of anger, betrayal, and hatred for what they were once immersed in.

In general, I think we can do what "James" told his compatriots, "let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger," in conversation about deep topics. But also be careful of terms which are loaded with personal sentiment, such as "unfortunately," when introducing those topics.

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As to the flip flops, my dad, brother and daughter live in them year round they have summer flip flops and winter flip flops and we live in Iowa. Who am I kidding I live him them from May to October.  My dad grew up in Japan, HI, So. Cal & AR he's always worn them, not sure if it is a warm climate thing or a hot sweaty feet thing.  My daughter has sweaty feet and hates closed shoes of any kind.

Dad's can hold babies too, it isn't weird.

They look like they are in a church or a school hall

Derick looks so much better with clean short hair.

I definitely live in flip flops during the summer (I can relate to the sweaty feet) but I can't imagine doing winter flip flops!! (I'm in Ohio). I like to keep my feet toasty in the cold. 

In one of the most recent episodes the interviews with the couples when they were asked which couple is the most PDA they all unanimously said Derrick and Jill, I think that is normally a good sign of affection [emoji846]
I also agree with everyone who has said its good they are back in the US, safety first! You can't 'help' other people very effectively if you yourself are in danger or unwell.

59 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Yes because two teenage boys are sooooo indicative of a wide ranging philiosophy. /sarcasm

That's an oxymoron. No one is indicative of a wide ranging philosophy. That's why it's wide ranging. But sometimes atheists are annoying as hell. Like vegans. Or fundamentalists. Actually fundamentalists are annoying all the time. 

@SorenaJ, you missed the sarcasm in @anjulibai's post and you just insulted vegans as well as atheists!  All hell is about to break loose!  Those vegans can be so mean!

:::runs away and hides:::

:laughing-rolling:

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

@SorenaJ, you missed the sarcasm in @anjulibai's post and you just insulted vegans as well as atheists!  All hell is about to break loose!  Those vegans can be so mean!

:::runs away and hides:::

:laughing-rolling:

IMG_2726.JPG.66da231b676530c98430f11f91372fd9.JPG

9 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

you just insulted vegans as well as atheists!  All hell is about to break loose!  Those vegans can be so mean!

I am NOT mean! And @VelociRapture we vegans are so enlightened that we never argue! :snooty: 

Just now, formergothardite said:

we vegans are so enlightened that we never argue!

Except on FJ ... ;)

1 hour ago, mstee said:

I definitely live in flip flops during the summer (I can relate to the sweaty feet) but I can't imagine doing winter flip flops!! (I'm in Ohio). I like to keep my feet toasty in the cold. 

Me too, my hands and feet turn to ice as soon as it cools off, I have anxiety ticks about my hands and feet, I can only wear certain types of socks with shoes and certain types period if I'm just wandering around the house.  So, while I'm very persnickety about my socks (and shoes for that matter) in the late fall/winter/early spring I have to have socks of some kind or I'm pretty sure my feet with give my husband and cats frostbite.

6 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Does any degrees professional here know how serious an "infraction" this is that he didn't file? Is it like not filing your taxes? Or more like not taking out the trash?

25 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Does any degrees professional here know how serious an "infraction" this is that he didn't file? Is it like not filing your taxes? Or more like not taking out the trash?

More like not filing your taxes. I'm not a degreed professional but I play one at work.  I'm pretty sure it could be akin to Joshly getting spanked for not paying his taxes and having to pay them with a HUGE fine.  This is most likely a 1st offence so he'd just get a slap on the wrist. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived