IGNORED

Seewalds 24 - Bought the House from Grandma

choralcrusader8613

15 hours ago, NeverBeenKissed said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it painted on a wooden sign in fancy hand lettering. 

JoKen will probably receive at least 3 of these as wedding gifts. : )

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just point out that PPD and post partum psychosis are two different things? I'm not saying this to anyone in particular but I've often seen the Andrea Yates story brought up when we speculate about Jill having some undiagnosed PPD. Sometimes PPD and PPA can give you some terrible intrusive thoughts, but those things don't mean you'll hurt yourself or kids. Andrea Yates was suffering from severe post partum psychosis. Sorry, it's just kind of a pet peeve of mine when people say she had PPD. :my_heart:

This thread got in my head, just asked the kitty "Why did God give me you?" She's being a little breakfast grifting jerk, albeit a cute one.

I've got no snark for anyone who takes their kids over to visit family often or family doing nice things like organizing a birthday party. Heck, maybe Jessa goes over there to be able to use the bathroom by herself without her littles. Maybe Ben feels compelled to go over and make sure he didn't miss anything in the pantry that needs labeling.

I'd really like that as a storyline actually, Ben's labeling ways and since they like filming at the grocery store his foray into nutritional grocery shopping expert. "Jeremy, you don't need to buy that much mozarella for two people. You won't be able to eat it all. and-" 

"But it's all natural, Ben, and yes, yes we can ye of little faith. Babe will make mozzarella and family recipe meatballs for dinner. Mozz omelettes, mozz paninis, tacos..."

Thoughtful pause. "Double date at tacos 4 life?"

I jest in a sleep deprived state. I really do think it's great they're thoughtful about healthy eating! 

Don't like the Duggars, but it's been fun watching Spurgie grow up. He really is super cute.

If Henry had more hair he'd look a lot like Spurgeon. They're such happy babies!

Henry is even chunkier than Spurg! I just wanna squish those legs and cheeks!!! I'm a complete sucker for chunky babies.

12 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

They're in brand name diapers. "Buy used and save the difference" is long gone.

Kinda hard to buy used diapers... lol. And just because they're name brand doesn't mean they cost more... A lot of times I can buy Pampers or Huggies with a coupon for less than I'd be paying for store brand. (And they tend to hold up better at nights, especially for boys. lol) Or they could have been given to them at their baby shower or as gifts (I had boxes of pretty much every size diaper imaginable given to me at mine... which was awesome) :)

They are cute babies. I think Spurg is more "Duggar-ish" and Henry tends toward the Seewalds. Still, nice babies.

@bal maiden - even though I was married to an E3 when GryffindorDisappointment was an infant, her ass was ALWAYS in name-brand diapers (Huggies all the way). Cheap diapers are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Sometimes brands matter.  If the diaper leaks more its worthless.  Sometimes its worth the additional cost to get a product that is better.  Penny wise pound foolish and all that.

I guess I thought that since they (supposedly) make their own laundry detergent etc., then cloth diapers would be the frugal way forward. Just another observation on how fame and money has changed their Jesus-ordained lifestyle. 

7 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

I guess I thought that since they (supposedly) make their own laundry detergent etc., then cloth diapers would be the frugal way forward. Just another observation on how fame and money has changed their Jesus-ordained lifestyle. 

1) There are many different ways to be thrifty, and there are many money-conscious people who can't or won't consider cloth diapering for one reason or another. The fact that they use disposable diapers doesn't automatically make them spendthrifts. I made my own laundry detergent for a while when my kiddos were young, but there was no way I would have gone into cloth diaperland. (Isn't there enough poop to deal with when you have a kid without having to scrub out his diapers? just my opinion, anyway... lol)

2) Just because Jessa makes different choices with her money than her parents doesn't mean it's "fame and money" making her somehow lose all her principles. JBoob and Moochelle's money choices aren't hers. If she chooses to buy her own detergent, or *gasp* disposable diapers, more power to her. But it has nothing to do with her parents' money matters, or with "abandoning their Jesus-ordained lifestyle."

I would think there are other places to buy used and save the difference on - I wouldn't start with diapers, considering she has two kids wearing them.

Seriously. Also I've never seen evidence that Boobchelle cloth diapered anyway. 

Just chiming in to say I used the Target brand diapers and they worked pretty good gor my kids. But theyre only a couple dollars cheaper than the name brand and my kids werent super soakers either. Only one left in pull ups and shes probably ready when i stop being lazy about it. Praise Rufus!

I cloth-diapered until GryffindorDissapointment went from breast milk to formula and food. Ew. I would also use Huggies if we were leaving the house.

Huggies and Luvs didn't seem to fit my daughter right, they always leaked. Pampers were awesome but of course, expensive. Finally I tried Target brand diapers and never looked back.

When I was pregnant I suggested cloth diapering to my husband but his immediate reaction was "WTF you want to throw poop in the washing machine every day?" Then I explained you're supposed to rinse the diapers into the toilet first and I think that just made it worse. I think he was also just intimidated by the extra steps, he had never changed a regular diaper before and he was already nervous about that, as well as having to figure out how to properly clean a girl ("Always front to back!" "Huh?"). I have casually suggested cloth diapering for baby #2 and he seems a smidge more into the idea (mainly because he loves to save money) so we shall see!

15 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Huggies and Luvs didn't seem to fit my daughter right, they always leaked. Pampers were awesome but of course, expensive.

<snip>

I have casually suggested cloth diapering for baby #2 and he seems a smidge more into the idea (mainly because he loves to save money) so we shall see!

Luvs and Pampers didn't fit my daughter right - it's all trial/error until you find what works!

As for the cloth diapers - when it's breast milk poop, it's no big deal. Straight into the diaper pail (filled with bleach water), wash every-other-day. But formula and/or food makes for super-grossness.

@VineHeart137,  everyone always makes a big deal out of needing to rinse cloth diapers out, but (at least when my girls were in diapers) you're really supposed to rinse or dump solids wastes out of disposables as well.  Nobody does it though.  With the diaper pail, you can just dump the rinsed diapers into the washer and run it through the rinse and spin cycle before they get washed on hot with bleach.  (Don't know how the dumping the wet diapers in the washer to rinse and spin would work with a front-loader though.)  I had kids that did better in disposables and kids that did better in cloth.  There are so many nice cloth pre-folds with velcro and diaper covers.  You needn't fiddle with pins and plastic pants.  Then there are the EC -Elimination Communication- people.  I will say that it's kinda irritating to have lead a LLL meeting and then have to wait until an 8 month old is finished in the bathroom.  They also used up all the TP. Fortunately, I has a Kleenex in my pocket.

All this to say that cloth diapers are pretty easy if that's what you decide to do.

8 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@VineHeart137,  everyone always makes a big deal out of needing to rinse cloth diapers out, but (at least when my girls were in diapers) you're really supposed to rinse or dump solids wastes out of disposables as well.  Nobody does it though. 

I have literally never ever heard of anyone doing this so I did a quick Google search and the reasoning makes sense. I actually feel kind of bad now, especially since between my kid, babysitting my niece and nephews, and working at daycares, I have thrown away MANY a chunky poop-filled diaper.

Thanks for the encouragement and info about cloth diapering, as well! I'm all for it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived