IGNORED

Seewalds 24 - Bought the House from Grandma

choralcrusader8613

Then there's the whole washing machine in the kitchen thing which, believe it or not, actually made the news here recently due to a famous(ish) interior design person saying the machine should not be in the kitchen forgetting that for the vast majority of Brits it's not possible to put their machine anywhere else due to plumbing.

Utility rooms are becoming more popular but you won't find them in older houses of which make up the majority of Britain's housing stock. 

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Germany it is common for the washing machine to either be in the master bathroom or in the kitchen, especially in city apartments. Houses often have a utility room in the basement. 

As someone who is forgetful I HATE locking washers.  I wanna be able to throw something in there at any point.  I don't care if it's spinning a 500k rpm if I loose an arm I loose an arm but at least I got that last sock in there!

I still can decide who he rensemble the most, maybe the seewald? I don't know anybody of ben's family as a baby so not sure. Henry is adorable

I wonder if little Baldy will get the curls like his brother.

Henry is the cutest miniature Winston Churchill I have seen in a long time. <3

I live in the USA and my washer and dryer are in the kitchen. That's where the plumbing for them was when I bought the house and I just left it like that. I like them there.

I have an LG front loader.   In addition to the usual hot, warm, cold settings it has a steam setting and an allergy setting.  I can close a quick wash of under 30 minutes for the standard water settings, but if I use the steam or allergy setting the cyle is about 1.5 hours.  I think a lot of the time is just to cool off the temperature so wash can be touched.

I actually think Henry looks a lot like Spurgeon, but bald and with chubbier cheeks and a longer face.

19 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I actually think Henry looks a lot like Spurgeon, but bald and with chubbier cheeks and a longer face.

I agree I think the lack of hair makes it harder to see but they are very alike in looks. 

@calimojo,  an old friend who had been a teacher told me that she loved teaching middle school and the kids were the reason she did.  She loved that age group.

It might just be because he lacks hair, but I feel like Henry has a bigger head than Spurgeon. I'm having a hard time placing who Henry looks like because I feel like only Jim Bob has a big head, yet Henry doesn't really look like him. Does anyone in Ben's family have a big head? 

(For the record, there's nothing wrong with having a big head. I have one, and as a toddler had to get a CT scan because it was so big in proportion to my body :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:)

My laundry room is seperate on the same floor as the bedrooms.  I would make this mandatory by law if I could.  So much easier to carry a teatowel up/downstairs than every other item in the load.

I grew up with the laundry in the basement.  Just a washer, lines inside for winter, outside for summer.

We just enclosed a balcony and turned it into a laundry room upstairs where all our living is with the exception of 1 bedroom and bathroom. It connects to a bathroom and a bedroom. Best addition, ever. We also have a washer and dryer in our basement.

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Oh my dear Rufus I am so jealous! We have older model top loading washer. It has some decent settings, senses the wash size plus ones for bulky or delicate items. Standard front load dryer that sometimes takes 2 cycles for towels and jeans. Works for our busy family of 6!

Laundry room is in the back part of the basement so 2 long flights of stairs with full baskets. Unless I'm doing clothes. Then its just chuck them down one flight of stairs, carry to the basement door and chuck them into a basket at the foot of the basement stairs. Bringing clean stuff up is what kills my knees.

Dear god, this is a world gone mad... Australian. Laundry ROOM. Top loader.  Always cold water wash. Normal cycle even large 40 mins. Hot is an option but i dont even have it connected and its not common here I dont think. Now you have me sitting here wondering about my countrymens washing habits! Head thread drift, weeeeee!

1 hour ago, HurricaneBells said:

Dear god, this is a world gone mad... Australian. Laundry ROOM. Top loader.  Always cold water wash. Normal cycle even large 40 mins. Hot is an option but i dont even have it connected and its not common here I dont think. Now you have me sitting here wondering about my countrymens washing habits! Head thread drift, weeeeee!

Fellow semi confused Australian here!

We have a front loader but only because of space issues in our laundry. Previously had a top loader.

Everything here is on cold too. Our washing machine has a bunch of different settings (wool, cotton, bulky etc) that cause the time to vary, but most loads take 30 minutes to under an hour. RPMs on our machine are 400, 800 or 1200.

And then it all gets hung outside on the hills hoist to dry!

I have to admit the first time I saw the washing machine in a British kitchen I was so confused. That and carpet in the bathroom. Now I understand the placement of the machine was because of older buildings, but there is no way I'll ever use a bathroom that's been carpeted!

On 8/12/2017 at 1:57 PM, bal maiden said:

Laundry services are rare, but British and European washing machines are much, much easier to wash cloth nappies in than American machines! I have done cloth both living in the US and UK. 

We cloth diapered until about 2 with each kid.I had a service though, so out on the porch went the dirties and in came the clean ones. I wasn't required to rinse either !

Another Aussie piping up! Cold washes are the way to go, we live in a townhouse and the bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen (which is open plan straight through dining room to living room). The laundry is hidden by a barn door which cuts out noise beautifully, and laundry nook has washing machine, dryer, laundry tub/sink with tap (faucet?), shelves, cupboard storage, baskets, etc. etc. 

Culture is so strange! Who knew laundry could differ so much from one Western country to another?

Condo here, USA, and the old school washer/dryer are "attractively" off the main hallway behind closed bifold doors. Yep, as attractive as you are imagining it to be.

We have a teeny tiny laundry room off our kitchen. Our washer recently decided to leak water everywhere and damage our floors. We're waiting to hear back from our insurance but the floor needs to be replaced and because that little room leads to the kitchen which also leads to the dining room, we have to replace the floor in all those rooms just so it matches. Our next house I will make sure laundry is in the basement. 

On 8/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, sta_sha said:

I had planned to cloth diaper as I've had a number of friends do it with great success. Then we found out it's twins and I've decided to use disposables instead. It may not be the most cost effective, but my sanity has a price too and two babies will make for a lot of dirty diaper laundry!

Same here. The moment I learned its twins, and the fact that my mom will be primary caregiver (I had to go to work) that went out of the window.  

We use Aldi's brand, decent and half the price of the other brands.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived