IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

5 hours ago, Ace3 said:

So there is my question: Are they debt free? I remember the other girls have "premarital counseling" with her parents basically pinky promising that they wouldn't go into debt for any reason (specifically a conversation with Derrick about how he wouldn't go into debt to fix a car?) so did Jeremy agree to those same guidelines? Is he cool being out of debt for everything except a mortgage? I get that - at least it would help build their credit. So many questions about the life they live away from the compound!

No, there's a mortgage. I've seen the paperwork. 

4 hours ago, seraaa said:

Jeremy went to college, no? So many he looked at his hypothetical student loans and was like, look, Mr and Mrs duggar, this ship has sailed

ETA: But then so did Derick. Nevermind 

Both were on full scholarships/grants. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in central Florida we bought our house for a bit less than 150k. 3/2, two car garage. The house is open but on the small side, but I kind of prefer it that way, at least while we have small children. One of the biggest items on our wishlist was a good sized yard which we got so we are happy. And our mortgage is less than most one bedroom apartments rent for in the same area. Obviously you also have to consider that when something breaks you can't just call the landlord to fix it for free.

I have major house buying FOMO reading this thread. I'm in Toronto and you couldn't find a cardboard box in the boonies for $140 000. An average condo is half a million and the average single family home is a million (CNDN). So...thats not going to happen for awhile if at all! 

3 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I'd rather have an expensive condo in a city full of free museums, excellent career opportunities, three major international airports, top-notch hospitals and universities, international community, a short flight or train-ride to world-class opera in New York, and with plenty of direct flights to Europe and Scary America (where our families live) than have a (comparatively) cheap mansion tucked somewhere far away from all this.  

<snip> house surrounded by woods (my personal idea of hell) in a smaller town in Virginia

<snip>. But the thought of leaving our current place for some "Desperate Housewives" suburbs like you see around here makes me cringe inside.

Where did you say that? I've quoted (and snipped the "in my personal opinion parts"). And you left it wide open for inference. 

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Where did you say that? I've quoted (and snipped the "in my personal opinion parts"). And you left it wide open for inference. 

Still not seeing "Midwest" anywhere. The "cheap mansion tucked somewhere far away from all this" could apply to a lot of places in the country, many of which I love to visit ,but would personally not be happy living there full time. Having said that, people can infer what they like.

In the other two bolded snippets you quoted, there is not much to infer - I am clearly spelling out "small town in Virginia" and "suburbs like you see around here" (here being Washington DC) which I spend enough time in as is, and they are definitely not MY cup of tea. 

Grew up in Michigan, moved all down the East coast with the Army.  Sadly the ghetto nature around Fort Eustis knocks the coolness of being close to Williamsburg. Lived in Key West for 3 years. Beautiful place to visit, hated living there. Too far from real civilization. Small 12K person town in rural Arkansas without a major city in a 3 hour radius was the same, it drove me insane.

We're now back in Michigan, my daughter and..well he's kinda my foster son are seniors at the same high school I graduated from. We live a stones throw away from a major city but without all the issues that come with it. We're looking to buy a house in the next year and $140k would let stay in our school district with a 3 bedroom/2 bath. Or our landlord could be cool and let us buy the 4 bedroom we have now! He got it as a repo for $60k. 

49 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

I have major house buying FOMO reading this thread. I'm in Toronto and you couldn't find a cardboard box in the boonies for $140 000. An average condo is half a million and the average single family home is a million (CNDN). So...thats not going to happen for awhile if at all! 

Ditto over here on the West Coast  (where conversation about the ridiculous price of real estate has been part of every social gathering I have ever been to) Average single home price dipped a little -down to $1.2 million CD last month.  There is a house 7 blocks from where I grew up that is currently on the market for $63 million. It's not far from where Chip Wilson (of Lululemon fame ) had his place.  Now, it's a nice area, but it used to be the sort of place where a moderately succesful doctor or a lawyer might buy a home. These days only the Uber rich need apply.

A few blocks away was where your regular middle class folks had little 2 bed bungalows with a basement to finish if you needed extra space.  These days the bungalows get bought by those with money, bulldozed and rebuilt as Mcmansions.  

Real estate has become so commodified where I live. Lack of affordable housing is causing all kinds of problems in my area. It's not a terrible thing to live in an area where a young couple can afford to buy a house with enough space for them to start a family in. Whenever that may be. 

Despite the fact that I live in a beautiful part of the world  with lots of amenities, I'm not going to do any hating on the Midwest or any other places with low housing costs.  I'm more of am urban girl, but I could certainly see living in  a smaller city with lower costs if we ever decide to sell up and move away. 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

No, there's a mortgage. I've seen the paperwork. 

Both were on full scholarships/grants. 

And just like that my questions are answered! You are amazing and I'm not 100% crazy for thinking there was a scholarship! 

Here in central Florida we bought our house for a bit less than 150k. 3/2, two car garage. The house is open but on the small side, but I kind of prefer it that way, at least while we have small children. One of the biggest items on our wishlist was a good sized yard which we got so we are happy. And our mortgage is less than most one bedroom apartments rent for in the same area. Obviously you also have to consider that when something breaks you can't just call the landlord to fix it for free.

Same here in NC. I previously had a townhouse in a slightly larger city, but moved to this one (30 minutes away, in the same town as my work) a year and a half ago. Got a 3br/2ba ranch with 2-car garage and a lot that is just under half an acre for just under $150k.

I couldn't be happier! And based on the recent sale of the house next door, it has gone up in value by about $25k since then.

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And that's the hating on the Midwest sort of shit I'm talking about****snip  snip***If someone is sitting here sad, bored and uncultured, they are trying really hard to do so. 

THIS! What the coasters don't understand is that we have everything they have, only we have it with our cheap mortgages and sprawling back yards.  

44 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

Sadly the ghetto nature around Fort Eustis knocks the coolness of being close to Williamsburg.

Between Denbigh Blvd and Ft. Eustis Blvd is one huge ghetto-ass place. It used to be fairly nice, Beechmont, Stoneybrook...used to be nice areas. We left the area 5 years ago. It had just gotten nastier and nastier. I grew up off Jefferson between J. Clyde and Harpersville. Lived in Village Green before we left the east coast. My dad was stationed at Langley from '73 to '76 then retired there and found a civilian job. 

12 hours ago, nst said:

15 years when I was renting - my parents would say to me 

"We didn't come to this country so you could rent" I was born here (Vancouver) they were born in Europe 

they had the means to help me and I had the courage to say yes ( it can be daunting if you have the money and probably more daunting if you don't and want it badly) 

23 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Ditto over here on the West Coast  (where conversation about the ridiculous price of real estate has been part of every social gathering I have ever been to) Average single home price dipped a little -down to $1.2 million CD last month.  There is a house 7 blocks from where I grew up that is currently on the market for $63 million. It's not far from where Chip Wilson (of Lululemon fame ) had his place.  Now, it's a nice area, but it used to be the sort of place where a moderately succesful doctor or a lawyer might buy a home. These days only the Uber rich need apply.

A few blocks away was where your regular middle class folks had little 2 bed bungalows with a basement to finish if you needed extra space.  These days the bungalows get bought by those with money, bulldozed and rebuilt as Mcmansions.  

Real estate has become so commodified where I live. Lack of affordable housing is causing all kinds of problems in my area. It's not a terrible thing to live in an area where a young couple can afford to buy a house with enough space for them to start a family in. Whenever that may be. 

Despite the fact that I live in a beautiful part of the world  with lots of amenities, I'm not going to do any hating on the Midwest or any other places with low housing costs.  I'm more of am urban girl, but I could certainly see living in  a smaller city with lower costs if we ever decide to sell up and move away. 

Hello fellow Lower Mainlanders!  I'm out in the Tri-Cities area and housing out here is just as ridiculous as everywhere closer to Vancouver. There are townhouses across the street from my work that are about five years old now and they are pretty well double what they were when they were new in terms of real estate value.  The same kind of goes for real estate everywhere in this area, not only is it crazy expensive, but the value has gone up exponentially just in the last handful of years.

The cost of rent is no better so I have no hope in hell of ever owning in this market unless it collapses, because the cost of rent makes the possibility of saving up for the size of down payment you would need to buy a house pretty much impossible unless you do have some kind of serious help from family.

My aunt actually offered to put up $50,000 towards a down payment for me, however on my own single income I would only be able to get about a $200,000 mortgage at best  -  which would maybe buy me a very small, older condo, one bedroom, in an undesirable or unsafe area ( assuming I won the bidding war that would still likely ensue for such a place) 

I work in an office with realtors so I can look up the stats for condominiums in that price range and unlike everything else in this area they're the only types that have barely gone up in value at all. And when I priced out the monthly costs were I to do such a thing, I would be paying several hundred more dollars per month than I am now renting.  So for now renting is the more economical thing because buying is just completely out of my reach - it would cost me  more than I could afford in the short term, and would be an unwise investment long term because I wouldn't be able to profit off selling it to upgrade down the road.

Between Denbigh Blvd and Ft. Eustis Blvd is one huge ghetto-ass place. It used to be fairly nice, Beechmont, Stoneybrook...used to be nice areas. We left the area 5 years ago. It had just gotten nastier and nastier. I grew up off Jefferson between J. Clyde and Harpersville. Lived in Village Green before we left the east coast. My dad was stationed at Langley from '73 to '76 then retired there and found a civilian job. 

I lived off harpersville from the age of 6 to 13 (eons ago now). It's my favorite childhood home. But I rode through the old neighborhood about a year ago for the first time in decades and was a little shocked.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:
THIS! What the coasters don't understand is that we have everything they have, only we have it with our cheap mortgages and sprawling back yards.  

And fireflies. And better lightning storms.

I'm in Northern California, but we just got back from KS and MO visiting DH's family!

The average house price in Sydney is $1 million AuD which is 790,000 US. The housing market is Australia is ridiculously broken because of years of bad government policy. 

19 minutes ago, kacarlton said:

I lived off harpersville from the age of 6 to 13 (eons ago now). It's my favorite childhood home. But I rode through the old neighborhood about a year ago for the first time in decades and was a little shocked.

yeah...Ivy Farms is pretty ghetto these days too. Some friends of mine grew up on Hull St. and that whole area there has gone downhill. Well, pretty much all of Jefferson Ave looks bombed out...with the possible exception of Port Warwick. Coliseum Mall had just opened when we moved there and Newmarket North opened just a couple of years later.  Mercury Mall was still an ongoing concern, the Montgomery Wards was there, Giant Open Air was there. Heck, I remember when Busch Gardens opened. Had season's passes pretty much my whole growing up years and then after the kids and I moved back from Indiana. 

There's quite a few things I miss from there but it's more like the way things were when I was a kid as opposed to now. I have no real desire to go back there, even for a visit. 

yeah...Ivy Farms is pretty ghetto these days too. Some friends of mine grew up on Hull St. and that whole area there has gone downhill. Well, pretty much all of Jefferson Ave looks bombed out...with the possible exception of Port Warwick. Coliseum Mall had just opened when we moved there and Newmarket North opened just a couple of years later.  Mercury Mall was still an ongoing concern, the Montgomery Wards was there, Giant Open Air was there. Heck, I remember when Busch Gardens opened. Had season's passes pretty much my whole growing up years and then after the kids and I moved back from Indiana. 
There's quite a few things I miss from there but it's more like the way things were when I was a kid as opposed to now. I have no real desire to go back there, even for a visit. 

I remember all of those, especially Busch gardens. One of my brothers worked there in a singing group for a couple of years.

Just now, kacarlton said:

I remember all of those, especially Busch gardens. One of my brothers worked there in a singing group for a couple of years.

A friend of mine was a dancer at the Festhaus. I have 2 friends who STILL work there every year for Howl O' Scream. I did one summer, that was more than enough. 

I graduated from Peninsula Catholic when it was still downtown on 34th St. Went to Thomas Nelson too (Harvard by the highway). Did about 12 years at Newport News Shipbuilding. 

When we moved to VA in '06 we lived like 2 blocks from Langley. Moved into a decent complex just off Eustis but management sucked, left when my lease ended. Lived on post for a year, left when my ex got sent to Texas for 6 months. Lived at Woodscape until someone was shot at the playground 2 buildings over, then moved to a house in Hampton. Ok neighborhood considering it was Hampton but shitty schools. We finally left VA in 09. I worked at Busch as ride photo for Apollo's Chariot and as a front gate photographer for about 8 months. I miss walking along along VA beach at sunset the most.

NJ here, I really love where I live but hate how expense owning a home is. I have thought more than once of moving south but for now I can't imagine being so far from family/friends. If I had done it after college I think I would have been ok, 15 years later, not so much. Still sucks knowing that I could have gotten a nice multi bedroom house with a yard in other areas for what I bought my less than 700sq ft condo for. My "if I won the lottery dream" would be to have a place in NYC, a house on the beach in SoCal, but main residence someplace more remote and then take my personal plane to the other locations when I felt like it.

Happy for The Babes on their new place. Very happy that is not a JB loaned home.  

2 hours ago, Kayleigh83 said:

Hello fellow Lower Mainlanders!  I'm out in the Tri-Cities area and housing out here is just as ridiculous as everywhere closer to Vancouver. There are townhouses across the street from my work that are about five years old now and they are pretty well double what they were when they were new in terms of real estate value.  The same kind of goes for real estate everywhere in this area, not only is it crazy expensive, but the value has gone up exponentially just in the last handful of years.

The cost of rent is no better so I have no hope in hell of ever owning in this market unless it collapses, because the cost of rent makes the possibility of saving up for the size of down payment you would need to buy a house pretty much impossible unless you do have some kind of serious help from family.

My aunt actually offered to put up $50,000 towards a down payment for me, however on my own single income I would only be able to get about a $200,000 mortgage at best  -  which would maybe buy me a very small, older condo, one bedroom, in an undesirable or unsafe area ( assuming I won the bidding war that would still likely ensue for such a place) 

I work in an office with realtors so I can look up the stats for condominiums in that price range and unlike everything else in this area they're the only types that have barely gone up in value at all. And when I priced out the monthly costs were I to do such a thing, I would be paying several hundred more dollars per month than I am now renting.  So for now renting is the more economical thing because buying is just completely out of my reach - it would cost me  more than I could afford in the short term, and would be an unwise investment long term because I wouldn't be able to profit off selling it to upgrade down the road.

@PreciousPantsofDoom @Kayleigh83 and @nst, greetings fellow Lower Mainlanders. I live in a delightful neighborhood in East Van. If I could afford to, I'd buy here, but I feel the forces of gentrification pushing me every day. I currently pay $1013/month per rent. In the time I've lived here I've shared a home with uninvited critters, and have struggled to get anything repaired, yet like clockwork my douchebag slumlords raise my rent every year. I've already take them to arbitration once because they attempted to illegally evict me, yet I cling to this space because there is nothing else remotely affordable out there that has as much space, as good of a location, and will accept my small dog. I wish my overpriced rent could be a down payment on something instead of going into the pockets of those opportunistic pigs,

Le sigh... On the bright side, i have a fantastic view of the mountains, a big sunny deck I can grow veggies on, and eagles fly over every day. Plus it's super easy for me to get to work and downtown from where I live, and I have great neighbors and a friendly community around me.

DH and I live in the PNW now, but both grew up in Wisconsin. We definitely miss it and wish we were closer to family, but the job situation for our industries isn't as good as the West Coast. 

We just bought a house. $140k was basically our down payment.  We got our house because we went in $20k over asking, had a pass/fail inspection instead of requesting repairs, and our financing was far enough along that we could close in 21 days (before the end of the month).  We are incredibly lucky to get the house we did for the price. Also that this is the first house we put an offer in on. That's almost unheard of in this market. 

7 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

That kitchen is Jinger's? It's a lot nicer than my outdated kitchen.:confusion-shrug:

Apparently it is Jinger's neighbours' kitchen, since I made a small mistake in googling :pb_redface:

And this kitchen would be considered decades outdated here in the Netherlands and would be replaced immediately by anyone, but I guess that is also because of the local taste.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:35 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Jinder Roles said from the previous thread:

Our refugee neighbors are LEGALLY HERE. Huge difference. I'm not a racist, and I'm not prejudiced against anyone (other than assholes). I don't care one iota what color someone's skin is - which is awesome because my family is also diverse in its makeup. It's not about where they're from or how they look. It's about BREAKING THE LAW.

White people didn't get the permission of the people already living here before coming here.  A lot of the southwestern US was Mexican territory before white people brutalized them off of it.  We all know "illegals" refers to Mexicans more than anybody else.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived