IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

How about people on both sides stop making sweeping generalizations about each other?

Fellow "coasters," it's fine to love where we live. But don't act like it's the only good place for everyone and no other place is remotely civilized. Just specify that it's right for you personally and make it clear that's what you mean when you write so you don't offend anyone.

Non-coasters, don't make sweeping generalizations about how all of us don't realize X, Y, and Z about where you live. It's not cool to act like all of us are ignorant assholes. Many of us might be, but not all of us. And please realize there's nothing wrong if someone respectfully states* that cities across the country will likely provide similar amenities, but the quality or quantity may differ among them. For instance:

I'm friends with two Midwesterners who relocated here. They will flat out tell you that the sushi and fish places are far better here than in one of their home state's major cities - but they'll also tell you the steak houses out there are to die for and tend to be better quality than what you find here. They don't say it to be rude to anyone - they say it because that's been their experience. Each area will have its own unique pros and cons.

*Being respectful is absolute key. If someone is being a judgemental ass then feel free to destroy them. :pb_lol:

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with any area, there are good and bad points and after a time, you sort of take the beauty for granted. I live by the ocean, have always lived by the ocean, it would be very odd for me not to. We have rugged rocky cliffs and just the ocean, everywhere. I laughed once when a friend cried watching a sunset over the water, the sun sets there every day for me it was normal, for her it was a special moment. I quickly learned my lesson and realized that normal for me is not normal for everyone else. So long story, short; don't be ignorant and assume things, every place has their own special type of beauty. ;) 

Just prepare yourselves for a ringing endorsement of NY. I grew up in the South moving frequently between 5 states, and did my Bachelor's in Oklahoma. I moved to NY almost a decade ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. 

I have access to decent health care, I was able to purchase a 4 bed 2 bath house for $142,000, property taxes hover around $1,500 a year and insurance is around $800 (which is sooooo much cheaper than Ok), I am less than an hour from the Canadian border, the schools in my area are amazing, SUNY universities are more affordable than the university I attended, and I was able to find a progressive church that I love. 

The trade off is that I am not in a city center, which I was accustomed to, and snow. 

Long story short, I don't hate southern living, but I feel like I have all the affordability benefits here with more lifestyle benefits. 

3 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

Just posted about this in Duggar Real Estate, but the Vuolos have a disabled veteran exemption on their house. You HAVE to be the disabled veteran, or the surviving spouse or minor child to qualify for this (in Texas). You just have to have a disability documented during service to be considered a disabled veteran.

So.... is that where Jeremy's "scholarship" came from????? I mean, I verrrryyyy highly doubt it's Jinger who is a veteran!

So if he was in the military, why has it never been mentioned?

This is great detective work. We have never heard about Jeremy's military service. 

As much as I like to complain about Counting On basically not containing a single storyline we haven't already heard of via social media months ago, I have to say good for them for not announcing until now that they bought a house. Seems like they've had some time to settle in already (and a herd of Duggars to help with renovations). There's nothing quite like having your own home, and Jinger seems blissfully happy :-)

Just now, 2manyKidzzz said:

This is great detective work. We have never heard about Jeremy's military service. 

All I did was look at their house's public record! lol!

4 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

disabled veteran exemption

It's my understanding that the exemption is for property taxes for disabled veterans. Anyone?

44 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's my understanding that the exemption is for property taxes for disabled veterans. Anyone?

Yes, that's correct.  Edited - if it's theirs and not the prev. owner's

3 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

All I did was look at their house's public record! lol!

Could this be leftovers from the previous owners?? They havne't even been in the house a whole month, sometimes records like that take a little bit.

1 minute ago, karen77 said:

Could this be leftovers from the previous owners?? They havne't even been in the house a whole month, sometimes records like that take a little bit.

I guess it could be, but why would the records all update except for that?

I moved from Western Washington back to a small city in the midwest.

We are about to buy our first home (hopefully!). 3bed/2ba with a finished basement with a wood burning stove, charming, fenced in back yard, detached garage, but a bit older, for $73k.

I'll be a first year teacher and my husband is going to school. There is no way in HELL we would ever be able to afford to buy anything where we lived in Washington at this point. And if we happened to live in Seattle? Forget it. Seattle teachers can't afford to live where they work. There was a completely uninhabitable foreclosure in our neighborhood starting at auction at around $75k. A house went up for sale down the road with only 2 beds and 1 bath with a tiny yard, no garage, no fence, no driveway (only street parking) for $225,000. When I would tell my Washington friends what kinds of houses we were looking at and the price ranges their jaw would drop and now that I'm back in the midwest telling people about the real estate in Washington, their reactions are about the same.

I am super thankful to be able to own a home on a first year teacher's salary and let my husband focus on schoolwork. This is probably the only place we would be able to do that, and I just have a lot of feelings about it. Some good and some bad. 

17 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

The prices in DC are eye-watering, I get it. But I'd rather have an expensive condo in a city full of free museums, excellent career opportunities, three major international airports, top-notch hospitals and universities, international community, a short flight or train-ride to world-class opera in New York, and with plenty of direct flights to Europe and Scary America (where our families live) than have a (comparatively) cheap mansion tucked somewhere far away from all this. Not worth it in my very personal opinion. Now my husband is a country-boy who hates having next-door neighbors and used to live in a house surrounded by woods (my personal idea of hell) in a smaller town in Virginia, and which is currently on the market ...so I promised him trees at some point. But the thought of leaving our current place for some "Desperate Housewives" suburbs like you see around here makes me cringe inside. We'll see :my_biggrin:

My house, which I bought in my early 20's, was $70k.  It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath in a nice neighborhood.  The upkeep isn't too bad and it's plenty of space for my child-free fiance and me.  We pay less than we'd pay in rent in the area, especially since we have cats and pet rent is ridiculous. 

I'd LOVE all the stuff big cities offer (especially better medical care and more food options), but people everywhere makes me want to curl into a ball and hyperventilate.  I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere and even having neighbors closer than a couple of acres away feels weird to me. 

7 minutes ago, Taylurker said:

I guess it could be, but why would the records all update except for that?

This is just a guess, but if the old homeowners were paid ahead on the taxes, the Vuolos might not be on the hook for them yet. When they do transfer to the Vuolos (and the Vuolos might have to pay from the date they bought the house while the old homeowners will get a credit) I think that will be when we see the change.

IMO.....repeat, IMO, the level of research into Jeremy and Jinger's house purchase, their finances and his possible military service is just creepy. How they bought the house, how they financed it, what tax breaks he got, have nothing to do with their stance on life issues or fundie beliefs. Would I like someone delving into my finances and trying to figure out where I got my money, how I spent it and what my house looked like? Nope, not one little bit.

Having said that, I know these are all public records, but does that mean we have to look up every little thing about their lives?

Of course this is just my opinion and YMMV.

14 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

This is just a guess, but if the old homeowners were paid ahead on the taxes, the Vuolos might not be on the hook for them yet. When they do transfer to the Vuolos (and the Vuolos might have to pay from the date they bought the house while the old homeowners will get a credit) I think that will be when we see the change.

Oh, I see. That would make so, so much more sense. Because I mean, there would be no reason to hide anyone being a veteran.

10 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

*snip*
How they bought the house, how they financed it, what tax breaks he got, have nothing to do with their stance on life issues or fundie beliefs.
*snip*

No one knows how much they paid for it or how. We just know they own a house. All property public records typically list your name, address, valuation and taxes on the front page online, or you can go to the county clerk. Anything else depends on the county. In any case, no one is creeping because they wanna know where they live. I think it's pretty obvious that they bought it themselves (although no one will ever know, which is rightfully none of our business), which I personally think DOES matter about their lifestyle because it shows Jinger's independence from her wealthy family. That is a huge step in getting away from the realm of fundiedom. Any of the kids owning a home with just their name on it, really. Their home can't be held over their heads if they break a rule, even if it was just a perceived threat to them. Even regular parents hold money over their adult kids' heads, and it's reassuring that it seems like JB&M do NOT do that, at least when it comes to property.

I did scrub my posts because it's best not to start a rumor, you're right.

I've gotten way creepier about celebrity home ownership. This is nothing compared to what I did to find Chris Carrabba's new house in Nashville lol.

2 hours ago, Zola said:

Please consider Frederick County, if you haven't already.

Think further West. The Hub City. both 70 and 81 run through there, it's within 30 minutes of Frederick, close to Gettysburg, and Harper's Ferry, and only 90 minutes from Baltimore and DC. Close enough for me, and plenty more nice people, slower traffic, and the feeling of HOME. I was born and raised in those mountains, and I want to go back there.

14 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Think further West. The Hub City. both 70 and 81 run through there, it's within 30 minutes of Frederick, close to Gettysburg, and Harper's Ferry, and only 90 minutes from Baltimore and DC. Close enough for me, and plenty more nice people, slower traffic, and the feeling of HOME. I was born and raised in those mountains, and I want to go back there.

Hagerstown?

I lived there for six months in 2001 and I loved it there. The city park is spectacular. Way better than Frederick's. Good shopping, good food, lovely downtown district, concerts, theater, and plenty of reasonably-priced housing options. And it's almost like no one really knows about it.

6 minutes ago, Zola said:

And it's almost like no one really knows about it.

SHHHHHH!!!! I KNOW! I grew up there! I played in city Park many a day! Went to school there~ I want to live there again!!!:my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Exactly when would have Jeremy had time to serve in the military? His dates of Syracuse attendance and playing professional soccer are public knowledge. 

Where would a stint in the military fit into this timeline?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Vuolo

Has this been posted already? I wasn't sure and if so I didn't see it. 

InTouch Weekly online article directly links this thread in their article and quotes some of the posts. 

Free Jinger mentioned and linked about halfway down.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jinger-and-jeremy-new-house-pregnant-jill-jessa-counting-on-137098.amp

10 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

InTouch Weekly online article directly links this thread in their article and quotes some of the posts. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jinger-and-jeremy-new-house-pregnant-jill-jessa-counting-on-137098.amp

Talk about creepy!

15 minutes ago, DancingPhalanges said:

The best part is the picture from the fake Jinger instagram account. :P InTouch half assing it as usual! 

Just chiming in to say- I do not think that Jinger and Jeremy owning their own house means that they're moving away from fundiedom. At all.

Just curious, anyone know if the married Bates kids own their own homes?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived