IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

The housing market here in my town in Sweden is not as crazy as many other places but we still have few options as it is now. We rent a reasonably low rent 3 bedroom apartment right now but we are a one income family for parts of the year and it is hard to manage to save up for more than an emergency fund. With two kids I don't want to live in anything smaller than our current apartment. If we could have 2 incomes all year round we would however be able to save some money towards a down payment. Getting a house in the town we live in now is however not going to happen, we will need to move to one of the villages just outside of town. If we are extremely lucky me might find a bigger apartment in town we could afford but that would be pure luck and nothing I feel I can hope for. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

They have a shortlist of three and are first offering on two (my sister the security seeker). She's totally in love with #1 which is a fixer-upper. Sticks out a mile how much she wants it. Thing is, they were warned the current owner turned down a similar offer and is in no hurry to sell as it was his mother's house, but they have offered anyhow - every penny up to their limit (UK needs to pay it's teachers WAY better - she struggled to even get a mortgage). It's been nearly a week and the guy just won't even talk with the estate agent.

Yeah, the whole of the south/south east region around London is insane. My boyfriend thought we could give Birmingham (his home city) a try, since it does have jobs in government (my ideal career) and he can do his law conversion there. Even then, rents her so high that I'll be reliant on his lawyer salary to ever get an owned home and that's going to be years in the future. Plus most of the government jobs I like the most are London and a Virgin season ticket is getting on for almost £11k... almost my entire potential post tax income.

Best of luck to your sister and boy do I know about the teachers, I'm from a family of public sector. I really hope they get it, how greedy some people are when selling houses astounds me. They view them as money, other people view them as a secure place to live even in old age. (Because let's be realistic, pensions won't exist by the time I'm old enough for them. Nor will the NHS probably.)

2 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

www.inquisitr.com/4377946/jinger-duggars-husband-jeremy-vuolo-shames-pastor-for-same-sex-marriage-support/

Is this being discussed yet? Yet another reminder that pants and sleeveless coktail dresses don't cancel out shitty religious bigotry.

Disappointing, but sadly not surprising.

From the article:

'In the preacher’s lengthy analogy, the glory of Rome is the glory of God, and the legion’s enemies, or “spiritual barbarians,” are those who don’t follow his preferred brand of Christianity. These enemies can include fellow Christians.'

Well I suppose my Catholic upbringing will never be forgiven by him, let alone my current non religious state. 

What I want to know is who supports these people and makes them think they've got the authority to say who is a true Christian? They have to be basing it on something and seeing as all Christians with widely differing beliefs claim to be inspired by the Bible, who's telling them they're superior to other interpretations? It smarts of arrogance, not humility. 

10 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Such a mess all round isn't it. Though I admit I'm loving the new express route from Dublin to Belfast. Nearest I'll ever get to warp speed!

I'm looking forward to the new road from Londonderry to Belfast! It's a shame that it has to go through Heaney country but it's needed so much. I spend more time in traffic jams around Toome and Moneynick than I do actually moving! 

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I have a lot of family in Montreal. It's such a great city. The only drawback (for me, since I'm not fluent) is that it's hard to get a decent job if you don't speak French these days. Still, it's just an awesome place. And the bagels! Trust me, folks, go just for the bagels. You will not be disappointed.

Seconded! The bagels are out of this world.

Montreal would be my number one destination if in some dystopian future I could no longer live in Europe. I really enjoyed the mix of European and New World feel of Quebec.

5 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Vuolo complained that actions like having an open mind about same-sex marriage are a “cowardly retreat by the people of God under the assaults of demonic forces.”

Why do these people have to talk about everything like they're describing the cover of a Meat Loaf album, jeez louise

33 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Why do these people have to talk about everything like they're describing the cover of a Meat Loaf album, jeez louise

Thanks for this!

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for anyone from a very conservative background who is not straight. Especially since I get the sense that it is only very recently that (mainstream) churches have realised that they could do a better job at including people and in supporting them to live within the strictures of the church community, should they even want to.

Look, I vehemently disagree, but I sort of understand why conservative Christians believe certain things like gay sex are sins. However, I don't understand at all why THAT is used as a litmus test to determine who is a Christian and who is not. 

8 minutes ago, jerkit said:

Look, I vehemently disagree, but I sort of understand why conservative Christians believe certain things like gay sex are sins. However, I don't understand at all why THAT is used as a litmus test to determine who is a Christian and who is not. 

Same here. I personally think a lot of things are sinful/should be avoided (gay marriage doesn't happen to be one of them). But I don't understand how that translates into "I personally disagree with this so I'm going to make it illegal so no one else can do it either." Like what??? Do we live in a theocracy? That's my biggest complaint about conservative Americans. They talk a big game about personal freedom, but when it comes to the bedroom it's all "my Bible, my rules." No, in America you don't get to legislate other peoples' morality.

Oh, THANK YOU~~ I will ALWAYS stop for Meat Loaf!

19 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

IDKY but this post made me want shoo fly pie. My gd those Amish women know how to bake. I'm not surprised that they make way more money. I've gone to the Philly market a few times and their stalls are always full of people. They sell out of things quite quickly.

OyToTheVey, I love Shoo Fly Pie!Now,you have me wanting it!My aunt lived in Lancaster,PA for years.

4 minutes ago, melon said:

OyToTheVey, I love Shoo Fly Pie!Now,you have me wanting it!My aunt lived in Lancaster,PA for years.

It's my absolute favorite! I once ate half a pie and thought I was gonna throw up for 3 days after. It's so sweet and gooey. I love it. I'm like craving right now lol

homes in philadelphia range from under $5,000 for a total gut/rehab needed in heroin alley, to several million $$ in the latest 'desirable' area.  there is nowhere that crime is not rampant, drugs are widely available anywhere, and there are shootings every single day (a woman was shot 7 times the day before yesterday at 1:00 in the afternoon just 2 blocks from me, this is just the most recent one close by). i wish we could get out but we could maybe sell for $100,000 at most, which wouldn't buy us much elsewhere.

Another problem in my area at the moment is that there is a huge development boom in the city, but none of them are affordable.  In places like Dorchester or East Boston where you used to be able to find affordable housing they are building high rise condos and pricing everyone out. Now a lot of those places are sitting empty.  In theory more housing should equal better rates, right? However, no  one can afford those places.

Technically developers are supposed to put in a percent of market rate or affordable units to get projects passed, but there are always ways around that. Does anyone elses metro area have a similar problem?

27 minutes ago, merg429 said:

Technically developers are supposed to put in a percent of market rate or affordable units to get projects passed, but there are always ways around that. Does anyone elses metro area have a similar problem?

From what I've read and seen, I think this is common to many places, sadly.

The developers of the Battersea Power Station redevelopment in London recently announced the were cutting the number of affordable homes on the site by almost half. 

jill could have gotten ill after the birth...with my second i developed a serious staph infection (actually toxic shock syndrome) and was hospitalized for 10 days. #2 stayed with me even though i couldn't nurse him or really take care of him in any meaningful way. there are maybe 2 pictures of us in the hospital...

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Now I have a hankering for meatloaf. With mashed potatoes. MMMMMMMMM.

With some carmelized brussel sprouts! 

12 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I'm looking forward to the new road from Londonderry to Belfast! It's a shame that it has to go through Heaney country but it's needed so much. I spend more time in traffic jams around Toome and Moneynick than I do actually moving! 

It'll be very cool. I know it's gonna knock a good couple hours off our commute on north coast gig days.

4 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

With some carmelized brussel sprouts! 

What is this magic of which you speak? I never thought there'd be anything to top a brussels sprout ...but I'm happy to be educated ;)

32 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

hat is this magic of which you speak? I never thought there'd be anything to top a brussels sprout ...but I'm happy to be educated ;)

Parboil or partially steam your brussels sprouts. THEN cut them in half and put them face down in some (don't need a lot) olive oil (or butter) on a cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven for about ten minutes. Voila! the edges are a luscious brown, sometimes a bit crispy. Salt to taste. Make a LOT.

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Parboil or partially steam your brussels sprouts. THEN cut them in half and put them face down in some (don't need a lot) olive oil (or butter) on a cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven for about ten minutes. Voila! the edges are a luscious brown, sometimes a bit crispy. Salt to taste. Make a LOT.

Oh my word! I think I'd have to make two trays - the first one wouldn't make it the three steps to the table!

On July 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM, WiseGirl said:

Born in North East and lived in upper Midwest for large portion of my life now back in NE. I Would like my east coast salary in the Midwest. However, I hope to relocate some day because of January, February,  March, and sometimes April.:my_biggrin:

East coast salary in the Midwest would be lovely. My Midwest experience is more like October to May is too cold. I had to wear a winter coat at my May graduation!!

From the Inquisitor article: "In his recent sermon, Jeremy Vuolo also warns his fellow Christians to avoid the temptation to use “worldly marketing strategy and entertainment” as a means to grow the church. Because Jeremy is now a reality show star, this comment may raise a few eyebrows."

What a bloody hypocrite!  Just ugh. Stop talking.

I knew I was an adult the day I tasted brussel spouts and likes them. I'll have to try caramelizing them.

Start of the new year me & my husband are hoping to buy a house since our lease will end when March is over. Where we just relocated the housing market is not what I expected. When we were just looking for a place to rent the city we wanted to live in since it would be closer for my husband job had very little options the nice places were Section 8 and the other rentals made most of the abandon house in Detroit look amazing.

Right now we are living in a reasonable size city in Texas. As in the first time since I left my home town for university my shopping for food isn't limited to Walmart ( there's at 10 different options!!!). A house that was built this century goes on average for $150K but they all look like HGTV model homes with all being open concept and very little privacy. Although on average the houses I like range from 60K-120k which fits nicely for what our budget is probably going to end up being.

Now the odd thing is if we want to move closer to my husband work ( he has an hour commute in west Texas) to any of the cities surrounding is plant the houses are actually in good condition are going closer to 175K.

If anyone has any suggestions and tips before we take the leap I would really love it. Right now I just been keeping a minor log of prices,styles, neighborhoods, & sizes to get a feel.

Also while looking at houses out in Texas & Oklahoma there seems to be every house for sale have the same amount of bathrooms to bedrooms. Is this normal in other markets for is it something unique to these areas?
Although I don't know much when it comes to real estate but if anyone on FreeJinger looking to make investment when it comes to properties Tulsa, Ok is looking to be a wise investment. At the moment in the city housing is moderately cheap. You can get a good size home close to downtown or some of the neighborhoods around the Universities. At least from my perspective Tulsa was appearing to be on the up swing.

The only thing my ex said when he was stationed at Fort Sill, OK is that insurance was INSANE. Because it's right in the middle of Tornado Alley, gets hit rather frequently, size of the storms tends to be larger and more destructive, getting homeowner's or renters insurance was through the roof expensive. That was about 4 or 5 years ago though, maybe its better now?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived