IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

$140K wouldn't buy me a parking spot here. A one bedroom condo in Brooklyn is $300-400K now in a good area. I've been looking and the cheapest I found is $252K for a studio. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living in the Midwest/south has its advantage, cheap housing is one of them. If more people realized this and realized how not horrible "fly over country is". 

45 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

$140K wouldn't buy me a parking spot here. A one bedroom condo in Brooklyn is $300-400K now in a good area. I've been looking and the cheapest I found is $252K for a studio. 

I'm in northern NJ houses here are so expensive. We have great schools so everyone wants to move to my area and areas around me.  2 houses on my street have been sold in the last few months and according to what someone who is a real estate agent told my mother their was a bidding war for both of them. 

Just checked what 140k would buy me here....nothing.....North East tri-state area is so expensive. It'seems crazy. Anywhere else I'd be making good money. Here I need two jobs to not be paycheck to paycheck. 

5 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Just checked what 140k would buy me here....nothing.....North East tri-state area is so expensive. It'seems crazy. Anywhere else I'd be making good money. Here I need two jobs to not be paycheck to paycheck. 

Where I am $140k would be the down payment on a house. 

13 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I'm in northern NJ houses here are so expensive. We have great schools so everyone wants to move to my area and areas around me.  2 houses on my street have been sold in the last few months and  according to what someone who is an real estate agent told my mother their was a bidding war for both of them. 

We also live in Northern NJ and are in the middle of a bidding war so I can attest to this. I have thought about leaving this area many times, but my career is here.  

If Jeremy isn't into debt free, then the mortgage payments on that house would probably not be much more than they were paying for rent. I don't see a problem, and a house is usually a good investment.

$30k down would easily get them a mortgage under $1000 a month.  Cost of living in some areas of the country is insanely cheap.  Lora doe is even cheaper than Des Moines. $140k will get you 1900 sq ft but it will be a fixer upper. But still not a bad deal. 

36 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I'm in northern NJ houses here are so expensive. We have great schools so everyone wants to move to my area and areas around me.  2 houses on my street have been sold in the last few months and  according to what someone who is an real estate agent told my mother their was a bidding war for both of them. 

A friend of mine just bought a house in NJ, she was in a bidding war too! It's crazy the prices tho. A closet. $140k might get us a closet.

In the small town where I grew up, $140K will get you a house that's 4,000sf, six bedroom, seven bathroom, three-car garage, with a POOL on an acre in a gated neighborhood. But you can't make a living there because there are no jobs. The town has dwindled from almost 30,000 people to just over 10,000 in the past thirty years.

Believe me or not, but it's true. Not linking out because, again, not comfortable sharing who I am with the FJ world.

The cost of living in Texas - especially the "smaller" cities is dirt cheap. No state income tax and at certain times of year (like back to school) there is no sales tax on some items. We are seriously considering retiring in TX if that doesn't change when we are ready to do so. 

There is a condo garage in my neighborhood.  Last article I could find on it (March 2017) states a parking space was for sale for $300,000, monthly charges are slightly under $300 and I dont think that includes real estate taxes.

Real estate is  expensive in every part of New York City and some areas in Brooklyn where I live are extremely expensive.  

We got our house for $149,000 and our mortgage is just under $1000 a month. Rent around here is comparable to that or even more expensive, so for them this seems like a good move. We used to live in northern VA. Prices were waaaaaay higher.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I think that rent on our railroad rooms flat in Williamsburg was about $40/month back in the 1950's.   Of course, it was cold water and you had a big black stove that you had to buy coal or wood for for heat.   No bathtub - just a big wash tub in the kitchen (think tenements)

I had to check what that type of money could buy you in my town, here are some samples:

• A tiny studio apartment in pretty good area with low monthly fees.
  • A 4 bed room apartment in a less desirable part of town with high monthly fees.
  • A nice house in a village about an hour from town for less than what they paid. Sounds great, right? Well, in winter it won't take an hour, it will be pitch dark both when you go in the morning and when you go home in the evening. I wouldn't live there.

7 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Interrupting just to share this pic Jinger posted because it's cute.

You know who really hasn't changed? Jana - who is clearly in the background working, while her worthless parents are nowhere to be found and her more charismatic siblings ham it up for the camera. 

I currently live in Texas. The smaller cities and the border towns may be cheap, but it is definitely not cheap to live in one of the four main metropolitan areas (Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, houston, San Antonio)...

4 hours ago, MoonFace said:

At what point is a baby girl's legs considered to be NIKE worthy so that they must be covered?

Also, at what point does a fundie daddy stop holding a child to his chest for hugs and start doing side hugs?   

In my original statement, I meant there are pictures of her girls wearing leggings as pants (when they lived in D.C.), as opposed to just under skirts and dresses because of Nike when they're around the Duggar family.

as for your question, I do not know. Didn't jimbob tell a toddler once that she wasn't modestly dressed enough?

4 hours ago, elliha said:

I would only say that a house means that they are planning to have children some time soon, not that she is necessarily pregnant now. If the area is relatively cheap to buy in I don't see a reason for a married couple to wait to buy a house if they can afford it. Don't most people prefer to own a house if they can afford it?

What this house means to me is they are not planning on moving to Arkansas any time soon. Watching Jeremy last night in the "after the show" made me think he was thinking that this is all BS. Looked unengaged with the whole interview and just looked like he was thinking, "I promised Jinger that I would do this damn interview".  Glad for them getting a house, how ever they got it. Wondering if she gets to do laundry at home now and how far the house is from his church. 

On 17/07/2017 at 0:24 PM, singsingsing said:

Even having all your family lines documented completely back to the early 1700s is next to impossible.

Thank you for addressing the near impossibility of documenting a family line, let alone every line even that far back.  The OP original post claiming that bugged the crap out of me.  I stated to write something in reply to it yesterday but was feeling too ranty and erased it!

My husband's family can trace back along one line  to a guy who came to North America from France in the 1600s. We know his name because we found it in records kept by a museum in Quebec. Having said that, we don't know much about his wife or where she came from.  There are plenty of their descendants with question marks too -for many and various reasons.

Being actual Royalty will get you a bit further back because marriages and births were part of the historic record, not just family history.  Even there, the further back you go, the higher the chances of things getting a bit murky. All manner of skeletons in the cupboard  with illegitimate children or elopements with "unsuitable" types, And that's not even getting into confusion over remarriages or people with the same names etc. Etc.  So yeah, I too call bullshit over being able to trace back every single ancestor. Some, yes.  All? Don't be naïve. 

I think you might be able to get a decent condo where I live for 140K? but yeah my area is having the problem where so many family are moving to the suburbs which have great schools but the schools are becoming so full that they're having to expand schools and are thinking of making another school as well.

$140,000 would buy a nice house here in Indianapolis and most of the suburban areas. #LandlockedButDecentPricesForHousing

I though that Jeremy looked like he was asleep at one point....or sleeping. 

I think the house must be pretty exciting for Jinger. She made out like a bandit. I think soon Jessa will move. 

What do I know.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If Jeremy isn't into debt free, then the mortgage payments on that house would probably not be much more than they were paying for rent. I don't see a problem, and a house is usually a good investment.

So there is my question: Are they debt free? I remember the other girls have "premarital counseling" with her parents basically pinky promising that they wouldn't go into debt for any reason (specifically a conversation with Derrick about how he wouldn't go into debt to fix a car?) so did Jeremy agree to those same guidelines? Is he cool being out of debt for everything except a mortgage? I get that - at least it would help build their credit. So many questions about the life they live away from the compound!

5 hours ago, elliha said:

I would only say that a house means that they are planning to have children some time soon, not that she is necessarily pregnant now. If the area is relatively cheap to buy in I don't see a reason for a married couple to wait to buy a house if they can afford it. Don't most people prefer to own a house if they can afford it?

This seems to be the trend with most of my friends who are young and married. My husband and I got super lucky when we bought a 4 bed/2 bath foreclosure a few years ago. The house needed a ton of work, but like you said, at that point we really wanted to have our own property without sharing walls with strangers and walking up 4 flights of stairs with our groceries and people shooting guns in our hallway (that actually happened to us and it was horrifying). Watching Jinger doing her laundry in the apartment complex in Laredo also bought back nightmares of unreliable washers and dryers, lugging heavy laundry baskets, needing a stash of quarters on hand, etc. Just having my own first-floor laundry room with a washer and dryer was worth it to move from an apartment (yes, I know there are nicer apartments with units that have washer/dryers). 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived