IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

26 minutes ago, Darwinesque said:

I wanted the house in Father of the Bride so bad.

I live in a UK city and I could hear a couple of American ladies complaining about house sizes and house prices here - they were right. You get a 800 sq ft terrace for about £650k here, no real garden or parking space. My kids will never be able to afford to live where they grew up.

Yeah the UK market is a mess (lived city and rurally in the nw and sw respectively). One of the factors in my emigration was that I couldn't get a 10% rent to buy mortgage on a 60k home (the aforementioned job insecurity) & to rent a single bed place anywhere ranged from £400-1000/mt. At €400/mt you could fit four single bed flats from my family's town into our current place and it's about as unique and perfect a home as we could want.

Ireland's housing is a mess too. Either amazing or horrendous rental/bought situations, punctuated with a sizeable homelessness crisis and homes standing empty all over the place that were either built on flood plains, or developers ran out of funds too soon etc.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

However, after he found Jesus or whatever, he may want to protect his future children from being tempted and sinning like he did.

This is one of the things I really don't get with the duggs etc - surely even a cursory glance at what they claim to treasure so dearly is that the path is not ground in avoidance of life, but standing firm in one's principals in the midst of it. ...there's a word for that somewhere... Oh yes, faith!

...but there again, these are the people also espousing 'the devil made him do it', so I guess we shouldn't be surprised... le sigh!

@neurogirlJeremy seems to have been homeschooled most of his life. I believe he attended High School his senior year, (possibly to make him eligible for collegiate soccer?) but that was it. 

I don't know nearly enough about him to know how he and Jinger would feel about educating their potential spawn though. I do think their kids could possibly have access to at least better homeschooling materials though. And I don't think they'd be entirely opposed to letting the kid(s) play recreational sports, though it'd likely depend on the kid and the sport. But thats just guesses.

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

IDKY but this post made me want shoo fly pie. My gd those Amish women know how to bake. I'm not surprised that they make way more money. I've gone to the Philly market a few times and their stalls are always full of people. They sell out of things quite quickly.

Ohhhhhhh yes. The stand near my house, homemade pies and canned peaches. Jars of sweet or dill pickles, preserves... and so affordable. I love Amish cooking.

EDITED: The site was acting weird and you can't delete duplicates. So here's a picture to make you giggle:

IMG_0635.JPG.5e8e8c39d7b5f3b3e921a4e1e2a6c56c.JPG

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a condo near downtown before the market here went crazy, and it had the original 80's oak cabinets and some seriously nasty appliances. The appliances went as soon as I could afford it, but I couldn't even attempt to justify the expense of replacing the cabinets because they were very good quality and the size and way it's laid out meant I couldn't really make any significant functional changes. So I took down some of the more pointless uppers to make it look a bit bigger, installed some shelving for my 50's kitchen kitsch,  put up crown & under cabinet molding, bead board and a heck of a lot of warm cream coloured paint.  I topped it off with new pulls, and a new floor. It's not fancy, it looks loads better and works well for me. Now I just have to get off my lazy butt and install some under cabinet lighting and new countertops (which will be made from salvaged doors) and I'll be all set. Paint and new floors/appliances can do a lot to make an outdated kitchen better.

19 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Yeah the UK market is a mess (lived city and rurally in the nw and sw respectively). One of the factors in my emigration was that I couldn't get a 10% rent to buy mortgage on a 60k home (the aforementioned job insecurity) & to rent a single bed place anywhere ranged from £400-1000/mt. At €400/mt you could fit four single bed flats from my family's town into our current place and it's about as unique and perfect a home as we could want.

Ireland's housing is a mess too. Either amazing or horrendous rental/bought situations, punctuated with a sizeable homelessness crisis and homes standing empty all over the place that were either built on flood plains, or developers ran out of funds too soon etc.

Not to mention all over the island (both countries) they keep knocking down perfectly good housing for roads etc. 

Where they're building the new by pass thing between Londonderry and Strabane has caused huge problems. Our family home is on a sizeable portion of land where there's a the main large house plus a row of 4 3 bedroom bungalows and 2 more smaller bungalows at the top of the land. 

Anyway, the family was basically forced to sell land and the two back bungalows to be demolished for the new bypass. It's sad because they're beautiful traditional Irish stone cottage type bungalows. They wanted to demolish the stables too but that was a huge no, so they didn't get that part of the land. 

5 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Just chiming in to say- I do not think that Jinger and Jeremy owning their own house means that they're moving away from fundiedom. At all.

Just curious, anyone know if the married Bates kids own their own homes?

Nor do I think it means that they plan on having a baby right away either.   

There are lots of folks who like the idea of getting a house, fixing it up and enjoying it before they have a baby.   

Makes sense to me to not have to deal with the packing, unpacking, decorating and all while dealing with morning sickness, swollen ankles, etc. 

Going to address the ghetto comment here for a sec. For me its not about race. Ghetto to me is the hundreds of blocks in Detroit where there are burned out, boarded up, condemned houses for miles. Trash everywhere. Mangy, skinny dogs roaming the streets. Drug deals going on right out in the open. Places where you know you just don't go at night. I already mentioned the playground shooting 2 buildings over from us when we lived in VA. It was a drug deal gone wrong and in broad daylight, the shooter was a white guy. We moved within a month after that because I didn't feel safe enough to let my kids play outside. You go to the grocery store or Walmart there and you get approached by 10 people asking for money or to buy them booze or if you have drugs and its not one set group of people. Thats ghetto to me.

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Huh, I really like that kitchen. It looks cute and pleasant. I'd keep it.

Me too...figure a face lift with a coat of paint on the cabinets and new counter top/hardware and it is brandy new! Even without its fine, not brand new modern, but also not pressed board cabinets with stick on floor tiles either.  Than again, I've always liked to work with what I have and freshen it up if the bones of what I have are good.  To each their own :)

1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Not to mention all over the island (both countries) they keep knocking down perfectly good housing for roads etc. 

Where they're building the new by pass thing between Londonderry and Strabane has caused huge problems. Our family home is on a sizeable portion of land where there's a the main large house plus a row of 4 3 bedroom bungalows and 2 more smaller bungalows at the top of the land. 

Anyway, the family was basically forced to sell land and the two back bungalows to be demolished for the new bypass. It's sad because they're beautiful traditional Irish stone cottage type bungalows. They wanted to demolish the stables too but that was a huge no, so they didn't get that part of the land. 

Such a mess all round isn't it. Though I admit I'm loving the new express route from Dublin to Belfast. Nearest I'll ever get to warp speed!

Those kitchen pics were established to be the house down the street weren't they?  So not Jinger's new kitchen. 

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Yeah the UK market is a mess (lived city and rurally in the nw and sw respectively). One of the factors in my emigration was that I couldn't get a 10% rent to buy mortgage on a 60k home.

I'm coming up for my last year of university in the UK and I have no idea what I'm going to do. House prices/rents are cheaper in my uni city than home (by a long way, home is a suburb of a southern city that is itself a London commuter town) but there are no jobs, home obviously has the London jobs, but it's not affordable. A 3 bed terrace will clock you in around £1.2-1.3 million in the city itself and even in the suburbs you realistically need £500k for a nice house in an okay area.

I'd take any house for $140k, and I'd love to be able to afford a house when I'm Jinger's age in a couple of years time. It's nice to see the kids growing up away from the family, gives them the chance to consider what's really important for themselves.

I think all this house-owning talk is fascinating. My husband and I bought our first home the year before we were married. It was a dump in a sketchy part of a mediocre city in Ontario for just under $90,000, and that was a great deal. Mr treehugger worked in contracting and is very handy, so we put a ton of work into fixing the house up, but it didn't feel like home, it was way too big for us and we weren't happy there, so we ended up selling it for a tidy profit and moved to a tiny apartment near the college Mr treehugger ended up attending. After the college years we bought another house, which we still own but are renting out while we look at moving again. Frankly, neither of us actually enjoy home ownership.  We both prefer renting. Once you factor in property taxes, utilities, and maintenance on a house, it isn't all that much cheaper to own. And it is a lot less hassle to rent (disclaimer that this is just our experiences in various parts of Canada - utilities companies are a PIA to deal with, and insurance can be a bitch). And I personally hate living in a big house. I've lived in all sizes and I just don't enjoy the cleaning and yardwork that comes with a big house in the country. Give me a 900-1000 sq ft apartment in a bustling city any day. 

@treehugger I hope you're not in my particular mediocre Ontarian city, because housing prices here have skyrocketed over the past year or so. It's absolutely insane. I swear I've seen houses going for 100k more than they would have 5 years ago, and that's just the asking price. People are getting into bidding wars, going in with no conditions...

I also prefer renting. The only thing I miss is having a dishwasher and a washer/dryer, but that's really not a big deal. I love just paying my rent each month, and that's it. Utilities included. I don't have to worry about outdoor maintenance, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow. If something breaks, they send someone in to fix it. If my fridge stops working, they replace it. I feel a lot more secure in an apartment building, too. And with the housing market the way it is right now, there's no way I'd even entertain the thought of buying anytime in the foreseeable future. Now, I'm single and childless. If I were married with two or three kids, a house would seem a lot more appealing!

@singsingsing we bought the first house 8 years ago. The house we own now is in Alberta (side note, property taxes in Alberta are insane compared to Ontario, and so is house insurance). We are actually looking at moving to Montreal for a a couple years now. Rent is incredibly reasonable there, and McGill university is a big draw for me right now, also learning French is on my list of things to do. 

We actually have two kids and a dog but I would still rather rent. It is really hard to find a house around the 1000 sq ft that is as well laid out as an apartment/condo. And I really don't want to go any bigger than that. Otherwise I really do just spend all my time cleaning and I would so much rather do things with the kids. 

But yes, the housing market in Canada is insane right now. The only places houses are actually cheap/affordable and not wildly remote, there are no jobs. 

4 minutes ago, treehugger said:

We are actually looking at moving to Montreal for a a couple years now. Rent is incredibly reasonable there, and McGill university is a big draw for me right now, also learning French is on my list of things to do. 

I have a lot of family in Montreal. It's such a great city. The only drawback (for me, since I'm not fluent) is that it's hard to get a decent job if you don't speak French these days. Still, it's just an awesome place. And the bagels! Trust me, folks, go just for the bagels. You will not be disappointed.

10 hours ago, Taylurker said:

All I did was look at their house's public record! lol!

Is their house close in to town or kinda out in the nether reaches? I could not find out anything about it.

30 minutes ago, treehugger said:

We actually have two kids and a dog but I would still rather rent. It is really hard to find a house around the 1000 sq ft that is as well laid out as an apartment/condo. And I really don't want to go any bigger than that. Otherwise I really do just spend all my time cleaning and I would so much rather do things with the kids. 

But yes, the housing market in Canada is insane right now. The only places houses are actually cheap/affordable and not wildly remote, there are no jobs. 

i don't know if anyone in canada saw the news today about the rental market in Vancouver

average 1 bedrooms can be rented out for $2 grand apparently (good to know on my end) and 3 bedrooms can be rented out for $3 grand.   These are very high prices imo. 

it's insane 

but a house now is $3 million instead of $4 

Vancouver housing prices are crazy high! I'm in Toronto and it's not as bad but I think prices are up 15% over last year alone, and those were up by about the same over 2015. My parents bought a 2000sq ft house in a downtown neighbourhood for about $350k about 20 yrs ago and they sold it recently for 1.5+ million. There's no way my husband and I could ever afford to buy in my old neighbourhood.

I'm also happy to rent. If we bought it would be a condo I think. It's not easy to save a down payment and then housing and all the extras would really eat into our budget because mortgages alone around here are more than rent. We have pensions so we don't need it as a retirement nest egg the way my parents and in-laws do. Kids might make us reevaluate but we would have to move to the suburbs to buy. Then commuting would take up 2-3 hrs a day (only L.A. beats Toronto for commute times in North America). If I lived somewhere less expensive we would buy. But for now renting makes the most sense.

I'm in northern New Jersey. Just now I have been looking up apartments for rent in my area. I'm in shock over how much some of these places are per month. 

I can't nor do I want to move out of my area do to my pet sitting business. (I need to be close in distance to my clients). 

1 hour ago, nst said:

i don't know if anyone in canada saw the news today about the rental market in Vancouver

I saw it. I live on the island. I don't know how they do it.  My friend lives in Coal Harbour she pays 1400 for about 700 square ft.  She was lucky enough to get in a new building about 15 yrs ago that had affordable housing for the first 10 floors.  She has a view of the marina ,and Stanley Park....she is one of the lucky ones. 

I am not happy because all those people are filtering my way and my housing costs are sky high now. I wish I could be selling my massive heritage home in this market !!!  Oh well. 

I rented an apartment for a year before I bought my condo, it was alright and I might have stayed a few years if there was better management and maintance dept. The maintenance guy hated my friend and I after we had to call after midnight for him to unlock the outer door because we forgot the key (place had a doorman till 12 and so we never needed outside key before). He was so nasty to us and then tried to overcharge us for the lock out service. It went downhill after that with him. The office never gave us correct info on when work was going to be done in our apartment.  Overall I just hated that strangers had the key to my place. Then there was the annoying neighbors - lots of retirees who thought it was their job to make comments to the younger folks in the building. I was yelled at about my clothing several times, including for daring to go get my mail in my pjs (full outfit, zero nike!). Owning has its headaches for sure and little expenses can add up but the trade off to not have to deal with that was worth it.

5 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

I'm coming up for my last year of university in the UK and I have no idea what I'm going to do. House prices/rents are cheaper in my uni city than home (by a long way, home is a suburb of a southern city that is itself a London commuter town) but there are no jobs, home obviously has the London jobs, but it's not affordable. A 3 bed terrace will clock you in around £1.2-1.3 million in the city itself and even in the suburbs you realistically need £500k for a nice house in an okay area.

I'd take any house for $140k, and I'd love to be able to afford a house when I'm Jinger's age in a couple of years time. It's nice to see the kids growing up away from the family, gives them the chance to consider what's really important for themselves.

Sounds like you're in a similar area to my sis. We're all baited breath at the minute - after 8.5 yes in boyfriend's rent-to-buy flat (single bed thing built as a partition into a terraced house - 1 bedroom, galley kitchen, I leg's width after sofa and coffee table to door. She's had to store most of her wardrobe at his mother's all these years). 

They have a shortlist of three and are first offering on two (my sister the security seeker). She's totally in love with #1 which is a fixer-upper. Sticks out a mile how much she wants it. Thing is, they were warned the current owner turned down a similar offer and is in no hurry to sell as it was his mother's house, but they have offered anyhow - every penny up to their limit (UK needs to pay it's teachers WAY better - she struggled to even get a mortgage). It's been nearly a week and the guy just won't even talk with the estate agent.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived