IGNORED

JinJer 28: Guns & Roses

Destiny

19 hours ago, bananabread said:

Same here. I personally think a lot of things are sinful/should be avoided (gay marriage doesn't happen to be one of them). But I don't understand how that translates into "I personally disagree with this so I'm going to make it illegal so no one else can do it either." Like what??? Do we live in a theocracy? That's my biggest complaint about conservative Americans. They talk a big game about personal freedom, but when it comes to the bedroom it's all "my Bible, my rules." No, in America you don't get to legislate other peoples' morality.

I also don't understand why they talk a big game about moral fiber and strong moral convictions, and yet they need to make laws and rules against two dudes screwing or trans women pooping or women (of presumably both cis and trans flavors) wearing short skirts, because it will lead to moral decay or temptation. If people going about their business could make you lose your strong religious convictions, your moral fiber is cotton candy.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a tater tot casserole or styrofoam plate in sight. Go Jinger.

And this leghumper comment made me crack up:

"camillalefay Israeli couscous is so holy"

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I also don't understand why they talk a big game about moral fiber and strong moral convictions, and yet they need to make laws and rules against two dudes screwing or trans women pooping or women (of presumably both cis and trans flavors) wearing short skirts, because it will lead to moral decay or temptation. If people going about their business could make you lose your strong religious convictions, your moral fiber is cotton candy.

I Think that they are scare to be test and faile and *gasp* be like everyone else. is easier if they could just skip the test.

4 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I have the same knife as JinJer :my_biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, are they dinner knives? Where did you get them from? That pattern isn't exactly my style, but I like how they look.

3 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

If you don't mind me asking, are they dinner knives? Where did you get them from? That pattern isn't exactly my style, but I like how they look.

No they are not dinner knives, at least not the ones I have.

I see now that mine is slightly different because the green on the tomatoes is red on mine. It was a set with 1 tomatoknive, 1 appleknive and 1 orangeknive and I got them years ago in a supermarket here in the Netherlands. So I don't think it will help you :my_biggrin:

6 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

If anyone has any suggestions and tips before we take the leap I would really love it. Right now I just been keeping a minor log of prices, styles, neighborhoods, & sizes to get a feel.

Good luck! I would say get pre-approved as soon as you are ready to start looking. And make sure the bank gives you a maximum number. We were pre-approved but because we were looking to be way under the max we were allowed, our loan officer didn't actually give us the max number. We almost lost our house waiting for Monday to see how far we could go up. Also get a pre-approval letter and make sure the realtor you are working with has it on file. That way, when you make an offer there is not a financing contingency. 

And work with a realtor working for you. It is so complicated. You'll need that person's expertise, not to look at houses but to go through the process to offer and buy. I know people who have tried to do it on their own and it is not fun to navigate. Ask around to find out who is good. We had an advantage as our current landlady/next door neighbor works in a realty office (she is not an agent) and knew who we would like and who we should avoid. Her recommendation was perfect. We love our realtor. I feel like we will miss her when we are done on Monday, LOL! (It took us several months to find a house--we've seen a lot of her!). 

And I fervently hope you don't have the experience we had as far as the market. We decided to begin looking in February or March of this year way back last October. At that time, we could have got the style/size of house we bought for $20-30,000 less. There were a ton of houses on the market then, too. By the time we started officially looking in late February, the market had tanked. Hardly anything was available and prices were up. Everyone told us that it would rebound in May when school was out. It did not. It was actually worse. Everything the company we were working with sold in May went at least $20,000 over asking price and selling within 48 hours of listing. We found this house in late June. It was out of our price range. By that time we were worried that we would be priced out if we waited longer. So we borrowed from my mother (against my inheritance--my brother will get that much more than me when she is gone--so for official purposes it is a gift) to up our down payment and borrowed a bit more than we planned for the mortgage. We actually got it for less than the asking price, but likely that is because we are buying from a deceased couple's children who are selling as part of the estate. Quite frankly, they are not here and had no idea how the market has been and we got the first offer in. 

@Shadoewolf We are in tornado region. Our homeowners is quite a bit more than the mortgage calculators and online home buying stuff estimates it at. On the upside of being in a region with huge storms, our town had a terrible hail storm three years ago with baseball sized hail and 90mph winds. Every single house we looked at had a new roof, new siding and new windows. My cousin told me to be wary about the roof at the time of the inspection, "the roof is usually the point of contention for most people" she said. I laughed and reminded her that literally every structure in town got a new roof three years ago. When I called our agent (who is in another town) for homeowner's insurance, he was going through the questions about the house and got to the roof and I said it was replaced in 2014, he said, "Oh, right, it's in ________; I should have known that".  

7 hours ago, klabourdeth said:

If anyone has any suggestions and tips before we take the leap I would really love it. Right now I just been keeping a minor log of prices,styles, neighborhoods, & sizes to get a feel.

Make sure you get the letter from the bank that you are pre- approved. Like if you are pre-approved for $350 k don't look for a house for $400 k. Also think of all the expenses that come with buying something 

notary, property transfer tax, renovations, if you are buying an apartment - whole other things happen 

In writing - print out everything and every time you speak to someone - records are the key 
Make copies of everything you will need in triple , all your assets, clean up your credit, letters from your employers, pictures of the place you want to buy in your price range, 

Hearing y'all talk about rent and purchase prices in other parts of the country made me wanna do a little research. I'm officially in shock right now. :pb_eek:

two_bedroom_rental.png

Hours-at-Minimum-Wage-Needed-to-Make-Rent.png

6 minutes ago, nst said:

Make sure you get the letter from the bank that you are pre- approved. In writing - print out everything and every time you speak to someone - records are the key 
Make copies of everything you will need in triple , all your assets, clean up your credit, letters from your employers, pictures of the place you want to buy in your price range, 

As NST said clean up your credit if you see there are problems.  Try to pay down balances to less than 50% of your credit line, this usually will bring up your credit score.  Don't close accounts, good active credit is a plus not a minus.  Be ready to provide 12 months canceled rent checks.  Be ready to prove source of any deposit into your bank account.   

Can you tell I worked in mortgages for 30 years?

31 minutes ago, nst said:

Make sure you get the letter from the bank that you are pre- approved. Like if you are pre-approved for $350 k don't look for a house for $400 k. Also think of all the expenses that come with buying something 

And just because you are approved for an amount, doesn't mean you can actually afford that. We figured out what we could afford as a monthly payment, then figured out what that translated to for a price. We've always qualified for way more than that number (the actual payment we could afford)

22 minutes ago, MotherOfDragons said:

Hearing y'all talk about rent and purchase prices in other parts of the country made me wanna do a little research. I'm officially in shock right now. :pb_eek:

Hours-at-Minimum-Wage-Needed-to-Make-Rent.png

Some of those in the lower picture would be worse, except for that little asterisk!

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

I'm in the U.S. and my roommate got that same set of three knives for like five bucks at T.J. Maxx.

@klabourdeth, if you read design forums or design magazines (except that HGTV rag), lots of people as well as designers are over open concept.  Designers and ordinary folks are beginning to see its limitations and disadvantages.  I would imagine that open concept is cheaper to build and that's why it became so prevalent in recent construction.  

As for having the same number of bedrooms and baths,  god forbid that anyone has to share a bathroom or a bedroom for that matter.  I remember one of the HGTV shows (Property Brothers or Love It or List It) where the couple told Hillary or Jonathan that they did NOT want two sinks in the master bath.  That was heresy to Hillary/Jonathan/whomever.

We have a three bedroom 1 1/2 bath. I can say raising three girls with only one bathroom as not been easy. When we buy our empty nest house a kick-ass master bed and bath will be our first priority. I fantasize about it. Ideally we could design our entire master suite ourselves. Well in all honesty i think i care more than Mr. Fluff. I think his priority is a man cave after living with 4 females for 20+ years. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Re: knife set, I got them at Target a few years ago, I got them cause I know nothing about what knife you're supposed to use to cut certain items. Jinjer are breaking all the rules using a tomato knife for poultry! :pb_mrgreen:

Knife be damned, Jinjer is making real food using real dishware and cutlery!  I bet the couscous seemed incredibly exotic.  I'm very proud of our little Jinjer.

56 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

We have a three bedroom 1 1/2 bath

We don't count bedrooms here so I have no idea how to say it, but I guess two bedrooms (as in my room and my parents) it is. One bath, extra toilet in a different room. But we have build the house with my Grandparents who life under us, so that is another bath and toilet if it is necessary and in the basement there is another toilet. The toilets are the most important thing. My Mum basically lives there (we have books and magazines in there) and so it is often used. I just go down the stairs either to my Grandparents or in the basement. The bathroom has two sinks and a bathtub and extra shower. 

On 7/19/2017 at 3:55 PM, PainfullyAware said:

I have to admit I did feel a little creepy looking up their address, then googling it to find recent images, then looking through basically a tour of the house. It's the first time I  ever did something like that and I doubt I'll do it again. 

Interesting, I'm wondering what I've done differently.

I looked up the address and found the house, but could only locate outside photos of the home. I actually thought it was odd I didn't see a listing for the home or photos.

I am wondering if they knew the previous owner and purchased without a list g going through MLS because usually there are historical photos/listings, especially only a month after closing.

I think we established up the thread that the house photos a few people have found are not for Jinger and Jeremy's house, but for a different address. 

On July 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Daisy0322 said:

That house is really nice especially for a young married couple. I'd say that's nicer than the majority of what this country lives in at thier age. 

As for my opinion on how they afforded the house; 

-my best friend dated a pro soccer player. As a starter he made maybe upper 40's but he also made a little money from brand contacts. By no means was he rich though. Therefore l, I don't think the money is from Jeremy's soccer days.

-I know church's have a living allowance for thier pay roll people sometimes. I've never heard of it coming in a limo some before, i thought it was monthly. Also, i would think it would be based on family size (but that is from my army wife experience probably). So I find this unlikely.

-the most likely in my mind is that they got paid for the wedding g special and wanted to make a sound investment with the extra income. That's what i would do at least. I could see thinking a larger chunk of money is hard to come by and using it as a down payment on a house. 

They can afford the house because TLC paid for some or all of it.

Anyone remember if Jinger was the family cook? She seems to be the only married one that doesn't have a problem around the kitchen. That fajita thing she made a couple of episodes ago looked good too. Between Jills casserole mush and Jessa not cooking at all, I'll take Jingers food any day. (Not including Anna or Joy because we haven't really seen Joy married and Anna has shown that she can cook)

In one of the episodes,they said that Jana,JInger or Michelle did  a lot of the cooking,but this has been awhile.

9 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Anyone remember if Jinger was the family cook? She seems to be the only married one that doesn't have a problem around the kitchen. That fajita thing she made a couple of episodes ago looked good too. Between Jills casserole mush and Jessa not cooking at all, I'll take Jingers food any day. (Not including Anna or Joy because we haven't really seen Joy married and Anna has shown that she can cook)

I remember little Jinger saying she wanted to become a chef. Unfortunately she grew up in a family that limits almost all their children's career options... 

I think Jinger is more talented than she lets on. She's the only one of the older kids I don't find obnoxious. Except for maybe Jana, but Jana is trying too hard to keep sweet. I hope that Jinger is able to further advance her skills if she wants to, whether it be photography as a professional skill or her skills within the home. What she cooked certainly seemed better than Jill's casserole concoctions or Jessa's semi-homemade atrocities (potato and beef bake, anyone?).

11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Seriously. There was a large orthodox Jewish community at my college whose parents trusted them to go away to college and live in a dorm. Their parents trusted them to be off on their own and uphold their religious values. The fact that the Duggars and their ilk are so against this shows that their values are weak.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived