IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

23 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

In Scotland ours have potato scones, square sausages and black pudding. Both back and streaky bacon are still bacon. 

We're heading for Scotland in September - I'm looking forward to potato scones and square sausages. :) I can't do black pudding (although DH loves it). And yes - to Brits - back bacon and streaky bacon are still bacon. But in America, only streaky bacon is bacon. Our closest thing to your back bacon is thin-sliced ham (not from the deli - but sliced off a ginormous hunk of pig leg). Canadian bacon is similar, too.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been seeing "breakfast ham" appearing in supermarkets in the last year and I'm wondering if it is similar to any of these other products.

What they have at the closest market to me looks a lot like the back bacon.  As far as I can tell it's about the same thickness.  I may have to buy some and try it. 

What is the triangular piece on the right hand side of the plate?

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

What is the triangular piece on the right hand side of the plate?

It's a hash brown thing. Like from McDonalds.

Hash brown was all I could think of, but didn't think expect it to be in a full English breakfast formed like that.  Something new all the time.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

It is part of their Jewish cultural appropriation.  Jews who observe kosher dietary laws do not eat pork, because pigs neither chew their cud nor have cloven hooves      as required in Leviticus.

Why follow this one dietary provision and none of the other Kosher rules also found in Leviticus? I know I've seen them combine meat and cheese before. 

Bring on the Scottish Shortbread! I actually made some yesterday and it is fabulous.

6 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Some really strict adherents will not eat pork or fish

Okay, i'll eat their share then :pb_lol:

I can see why pork was dangerous to eat back then, but fish is the best thing ever, what can they have against it?

11 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

Why follow this one dietary provision and none of the other Kosher rules also found in Leviticus? I know I've seen them combine meat and cheese before. 

They've definitely combined dairy and meat. I think there's ground turkey and cream of mushroom soup in Tater Tot casserole. They eat pizza (odds are the meat on the pizza contains pork), I'm sure they also consume gelatin.

@VeryNikeSeamstress What about shrimp? I'm trying to remember if I've seen them eat shellfish. That one just seems like it would be the most inconsistent--to not eat pork because of the Lev. hoof and cud requirement but ignore the requirement that fish need to have fins and scales to be eaten. 

I'm sure they've eaten shrimp. 

I'm no kosher expert, just had lots of Jewish friends growing up. Have any of the kosher keeping folks on this board caught other glaring kosher no-no's? I know there's a rule a rule about using separate dishes and storage for meat and dairy. They must have at least 2 fridges, so possibly? Their use of paper plates could loosely count as 'separate dishes for meat and dairy', but eating pizza off the paper plate makes that rule a moot point.

6 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Ok the bacon and ham thing has really got me interested :pb_lol:

Ok so to me ham is like sandwich ham (like thin slices) or the ham you get with turkey (I think also referred to as a gammon joint?). 

I think of bacon has either backed bacon (which I prefer) or streaky bacon but both still as bacon. It's not just an English thing it's the whole of the UK. Brits tend to eat more backed bacon, 

I'm interested on how you see backed bacon as ham because to me bacon and ham are so different! 

I cant believe I'm so fascinated about bacon and ham :pb_lol:

I love food, so I love talking about it.

I tend to visit the US at least once a year so have had more than my fair share of breakfasts. Bacon there is like our streaky and always nice and crispy. Ham is like a thick centre piece of back bacon.

I've not really seen sandwich ham like we have, in it's pure form. It tends to be processed, but I might just have missed it. I prefer back bacon in a sandwich, but the streaky US bacon is delicious, if rather calorific. I'm taking my 17 year old son out there soon and he will love, love, love the breakfasts and daughter will be in fluffy pancake heaven as she usually only gets them on her birthday.

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I asked my sister to make toad in the hole last time I was back. The altitude here is not good for Yorkshire pudding. Last time I tried, they were like hockey pucks.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1581636/james-martins-yorkshire-puds

I use this recipe, the chef is a Yorkshire man. The trick is not to be tempted to open the oven door to check on them as that lowers the temperature and then they don't rise as well.

15 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'm sure they've eaten shrimp. 

I'm no kosher expert, just had lots of Jewish friends growing up. Have any of the kosher keeping folks on this board caught other glaring kosher no-no's? I know there's a rule a rule about using separate dishes and storage for meat and dairy. They must have at least 2 fridges, so possibly? Their use of paper plates could loosely count as 'separate dishes for meat and dairy', but eating pizza off the paper plate makes that rule a moot point.

Jewish studies person here: the Duggars do not keep kosher. They just Do not eat swine. 

15 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Also it's in a rack (or sometimes a basket) because it's far easier to serve it that way - the toast is prepared, put into the rack and is there for a server to lift when it's needed. It also takes up less space than an additional plate on the table.

Please forgive a moment of nerdiness - I'm just so excited to finally find a passing use for one of my 'completely useless facts'.

A toastrack presents the largest face sideways, so that the steam can escape without travelling through, and soggying the toast the way it does if kept flat.

This day is now officially a shiny one. TYVM!

14 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Ok the bacon and ham thing has really got me interested :pb_lol:

Ok so to me ham is like sandwich ham (like thin slices) or the ham you get with turkey (I think also referred to as a gammon joint?). 

I think of bacon has either backed bacon (which I prefer) or streaky bacon but both still as bacon. It's not just an English thing it's the whole of the UK. Brits tend to eat more backed bacon, 

I'm interested on how you see backed bacon as ham because to me bacon and ham are so different! 

I cant believe I'm so fascinated about bacon and ham :pb_lol:

Bacon IS fascinating though! I try to always try the bacon wherever I go in the world as it tells you a lot about where you are.

The other thing I've noticed is that some visitors to UK don't always know/notice that we have two types of bacon - there's streaky (pink and white, sort of stripey. Designed to have the fat cooked out and leave crispy flavour behind etc. - near as I can tell, that's 'streaky' in the states too), then there's the danish style stuff (sort of shape and fat:meat ratio of a really think pork chop). 

Everywhere seems to have some sort of streaky option - French lardons, I forget the name of the Italian one, but Mr MIO's dad always added a little to elevate a bolognaise. Funny enough, one of my biggest 'culture shock' (more curiosity after eight years) is that both types are just called 'rasher' here in Ireland.

13 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Breakfast ham (at least what I've seen) is thicker than the British back bacon.

More like a gammon chop then?

8 hours ago, rosastrohhut said:

Jewish studies person here: the Duggars do not keep kosher. They just Do not eat swine. 

Thank you for this - I was trying to remember back and thinking it would've stuck out more if they were checking everything for derivatives etc. ...couldn't remember any examples of them putting that level of effort into their diet and thought I must be going crackers.

50 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Thank you for this - I was trying to remember back and thinking it would've stuck out more if they were checking everything for derivatives etc. ...couldn't remember any examples of them putting that level of effort into their diet and thought I must be going crackers.

They're definitely not keeping kosher in any way recognizable to the Jewish community.  Their signature cream o' crap soup with turkey and tater tots mixes meat and milk, which isn't allowed.  They do often use disposable plates, which eases the requirement of separate milk and meat plates, but they don't separate the cookware, so far as we've been shown (and we've been shown a lot).  They seem to avoid pork, but it goes along with their #GodBlessIsrael ideology: very superficial, certainly for show, and lacking a thorough understanding of the complex idea.

46 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

They're definitely not keeping kosher in any way recognizable to the Jewish community.  Their signature cream o' crap soup with turkey and tater tots mixes meat and milk, which isn't allowed.  They do often use disposable plates, which eases the requirement of separate milk and meat plates, but they don't separate the cookware, so far as we've been shown (and we've been shown a lot).  They seem to avoid pork, but it goes along with their #GodBlessIsrael ideology: very superficial, certainly for show, and lacking a thorough understanding of the complex idea.

They basically half-assedly appropriate the bits of Judaism (wearing Stars of David, #godblessisrael #eventhoughalargeportionofamericanandliberalisraelijewsopposenetanyahuandhisbullshit, not eating pork) that suit them without understanding Judaism and while believing that actual Jews will burn in hell/are just warm bodies to fill Israel and out-breed/genocide the Palestinians to facilitate the end times.

Are we sure the Duggars don't eat pork? I'm almost positive we've seen them make pepperoni pizza before. And when 19 Kids was still on and Josh's personal trainer came for a surprise visit wasn't Anna making sausage for breakfast? I guess they could have been beef or chicken alternatives...

3 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

More like a gammon chop then?

OK - quizzing my poor hubby. He says gammon is generally what we call a ham steak. Breakfast ham may or may not be the same, depending on where you are. Kinda like the regional differences in the Full English. I had one in a diner in Kings Lynn that had salad on the plate too. 

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

Are we sure the Duggars don't eat pork? I'm almost positive we've seen them make pepperoni pizza before. And when 19 Kids was still on and Josh's personal trainer came for a surprise visit wasn't Anna making sausage for breakfast? I guess they could have been beef or chicken alternatives...

Yes, they get meat products that use non-pork meats, including a lot of turkey bacon. I've never seen them eating barbecue (I didn't follow Josh's fast-food-filled social media). Arkansas barbecue is great and mostly pork-based, but brisket and turkey are often available too.

Americans acknowledge the existence of only one bacon. It's cured (and often smoked) pork belly that is sliced thin and fried crisp. Apparently it's what Brits call "streaky bacon." There's also "Canadian bacon," which is a round of processed ham, about the right size to use in eggs Benedict. I hear it's not called bacon in Canada. @MadeItOut, the Italian bacon is pancetta (which is unsmoked) or guanciale.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There's also "Canadian bacon," which is a round of processed ham, about the right size to use in eggs Benedict. I hear it's not called bacon in Canada. @MadeItOut, the Italian bacon is pancetta (which is unsmoked) or guanciale.

Canadian here. We definitely don't call anything  'Canadian bacon'. The round stuff is just called ham.

My question to Americans is: What is American cheese?? 

@SapphireSlytherin or anyone else who might know; Keep in mind I'm in middle The middle of the country and people just mainly like their fried chicken here, it's hard to find a lot of adventurous food butbits getting better... where can you get a full English breakfast? The picture looked delicious!

15 minutes ago, ButternutSquash said:

My question to Americans is: What is American cheese?? 

American "cheese" is not actually cheese, it's processed cheese food. Go google what that means.  It's pretty gross.  Up there with Velveeta.

In the US, Canadian bacon is smoked pork loin, sliced thin. The loin is trimmed into a round shape.  It is not a chopped processed thing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived